Home
S
SRT6776 Offline OP
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline OP
S

Home
You can convert any gas engine to run on hydrogen, you can even make your own hydrogen but it wont be making anywhere near the power it did on gasoline. Hydrogen = poof, gasoline = Bang

Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: SRT6776] #2957844
08/27/21 12:46 AM
08/27/21 12:46 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted by SRT6776
You can convert any gas engine to run on hydrogen, you can even make your own hydrogen but it wont be making anywhere near the power it did on gasoline. Hydrogen = poof, gasoline = Bang

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

Cool Facts about Hydrogen

Hydrogen gas = 61,493 BTU per pound versus 20,900 BTU’s per pound of gasoline about four times more than gasoline.

Please feel free to explain why it would make less power if it make 3 times as many BTU's as gasoline????

https://h2energynow.com/wordpress/news2/

From the link......

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

Hydrogen gas = 61,493 BTU per pound versus 20,900 BTU’s per pound of gasoline about four times more than gasoline.
Hydrogen and electricity are complimentary and one can be easily converted into the other.
Hydrogen can be stored as a gas, liquid, or part of a metal polymer called a liquid hydride.
One third of capital costs of conventional fossil fuel power plants are because of pollution control systems.

Hydrogen Production

Hydrogen is an energy carrier, not an energy source. Energy is required to separate it from other compounds. Once produced, hydrogen stores energy until it is delivered in a usable form, such as hydrogen gas delivered into a fuel cell.

Hydrogen can be produced from diverse, domestic resources including fossil fuels, nuclear energy, biomass, and other renewable energy technologies. The environmental impact and energy efficiency of hydrogen depends greatly on how it is produced.

Hydrogen as an Alternative Fuel

The interest in hydrogen as an alternative transportation fuel stems from its clean-burning qualities, its potential for domestic production, and the fuel cell vehicle’s potential for high efficiency (two to three times more efficient than gasoline vehicles).

The energy in 2.2 lb (1 kg) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 1 gallon of gasoline.

Is hydrogen safe?

Hydrogen is as safe if not safer than conventional fuels on the market today.
Hydrogen has been in mass production and transportation for over fifty years in the United States. Experience has shown that hydrogen can be safely produced and transported.
Ford examined the issue under contract to DOE, and concluded: “Overall, we judge the safety of a hydrogen FCV system to be potentially better than the demonstrated safety record of gasoline or propane, and equal to or better than that of natural gas.” (Ford 1997)
The U.S. used hydrogen as a residential fuel in the last century and it still is used in half a million homes in Japan today.

We know you have a love affair with EV's, but they're not the only option available.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: Tom_440] #2957847
08/27/21 12:53 AM
08/27/21 12:53 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by Tom_440
I recently bought my son a $3,800 Nissan Leaf with a nearly new battery to drive to High School. Normally when I get a car its time to go through it and replace spark plugs, oil, trans and air filter, etc... There was nothing to do with this car. Going to the gas station is plugging it in to the house. Its not my cup of tea, but I get the attraction with almost zero maintenance, instant torque and no gas - and gas is around $4 a gallon here right now.

You might learn to love it. I really enjoy driving my daughter's Leaf around town. They are super quiet, no warm up required, heater works instantly in the morning as does the defrost. Just about zero maintenance costs, recharges overnight without any trips to the gas station and they get about 80 mpg depending on the price of gas and electricity in your area. We paid about $7500 for her car and it came with a warranty. Super cheap cars for people that don't need to drive a lot of miles in a day. Great car for a kid in high school or college or someone who has a short commute.

Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: SNK-EYZ] #2957849
08/27/21 01:20 AM
08/27/21 01:20 AM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline OP
SRT6776  Offline OP
S

Home
Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

Please feel free to explain why it would make less power if it make 3 times as many BTU's as gasoline????

From the link......

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

Hydrogen and electricity are complimentary and one can be easily converted into the other.
Hydrogen can be stored as a gas, liquid, or part of a metal polymer called a liquid hydride.
One third of capital costs of conventional fossil fuel power plants are because of pollution control systems.

Hydrogen Production

Hydrogen is an energy carrier, not an energy source. Energy is required to separate it from other compounds. Once produced, hydrogen stores energy until it is delivered in a usable form, such as hydrogen gas delivered into a fuel cell.

Hydrogen can be produced from diverse, domestic resources including fossil fuels, nuclear energy, biomass, and other renewable energy technologies. The environmental impact and energy efficiency of hydrogen depends greatly on how it is produced.

The interest in hydrogen as an alternative transportation fuel stems from its clean-burning qualities, its potential for domestic production, and the fuel cell vehicle’s potential for high efficiency (two to three times more efficient than gasoline vehicles).

The energy in 2.2 lb (1 kg) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 1 gallon of gasoline.

Is hydrogen safe?

Hydrogen has been in mass production and transportation for over fifty years in the United States. Experience has shown that hydrogen can be safely produced and transported.
Ford examined the issue under contract to DOE, and concluded: “Overall, we judge the safety of a hydrogen FCV system to be potentially better than the demonstrated safety record of gasoline or propane, and equal to or better than that of natural gas.” (Ford 1997)
The U.S. used hydrogen as a residential fuel in the last century and it still is used in half a million homes in Japan today.

We know you have a love affair with EV's, but they're not the only option available.

Lol you copy and pasted that without reading didnt you? "per pound" in what setting? Hydrogen flashes through the cylinders and requires sever timing retard. People have been doing conversions for 30 years, a 250hp gas V8 will drop to around 150 once the hydrogen tank is turned on.

Google how it compares to a propane converted car, I'd like to see that comparison

Last edited by SRT6776; 08/27/21 01:24 AM.
Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: SRT6776] #2957855
08/27/21 02:51 AM
08/27/21 02:51 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
The energy in 2.2 lb (1 kg) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 6.152 pounds of gasoline.

Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: A12] #2957866
08/27/21 04:36 AM
08/27/21 04:36 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted by A12
The energy in 2.2 lb (1 kg) of hydrogen gas is about the same as the energy in 6.152 pounds of gasoline.

He doesn't care about current data, only references to 30 year old data that supports his EV love. laugh2

I copied and pasted it for those that didn't want to click on the link which was provided.

Last edited by SNK-EYZ; 08/27/21 04:38 AM.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: SRT6776] #2957972
08/27/21 11:41 AM
08/27/21 11:41 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA

Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: A12] #2958033
08/27/21 04:10 PM
08/27/21 04:10 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by A12
whistling

I see it's empty. Provide a listing of available production hydrogen powered cars and light trucks and their costs.

Toyota supposedly makes one, but it's not available. Hey, I can play that game too. I make a hydrogen powered half ton that get 500 MPGe, but it's not available.

In the software world that's called vaporware.

Never said it's here, just saying it's coming.........how long has it been for pure EV's to get to this point and they still have issues with range and recharge time. Hydrogen fuel would solve those issues.

I see it's empty.
yes but the point is that the hydrogen "pump" is next to a gasoline pump at a "gas station" that there are thousands of those "stations" already in place and have been for decades. How tough would it be to install at least one hydrogen pump at one out of every ten gas stations? Sure you can recharge at home but not if you're traveling............forgot no one does that anymore.

EV's have been over a hundred years getting to where they are right now. Still have some of the same basic problems even so.

Point of hydrogen isn't putting a pump in, it's the cost involved in dealing with hydrogen. Look into how it's stored and how it is delivered. Probably not going to be self serve at those pressures.
here's a link with $ estimates.

https://cafcp.org/sites/default/fil...cardo_CaFCP-Bus-Team-meeting-Aug2016.pdf

Re: Tesla plaid on the street [Re: SRT6776] #2958038
08/27/21 04:18 PM
08/27/21 04:18 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by SNK-EYZ

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

From the link......

Hydrogen

Why Hydrogen

Hydrogen Production

Is hydrogen safe?

Lol you copy and pasted that without reading didnt you? "per pound" in what setting? Hydrogen flashes through the cylinders and requires sever timing retard. People have been doing conversions for 30 years, a 250hp gas V8 will drop to around 150 once the hydrogen tank is turned on.

Google how it compares to a propane converted car, I'd like to see that comparison

Working for a company that is one of the largest H2 producers in the US, let me comment a little. Yes, on a per mass basis H2 has a much higher energy density. But you can easily cary more mass of gas in a tank. To get the H2 cars on equal footing with gas, you store H2 at a very high pressure. 500 bar or 8700 psig allowing for about 4-6 kq of H2. There are three vehicles availabel for lease that use H2. They are all fuel cell electric vehicles. The fuel cells are not perfectly efficent, about 60% versus 30% for cumbustion of gasoline. When you do the math, the H2 tanks are about equal to gasoline vehicles with a 10 gallon tank. Not perfect match, but close. You still get all the benefits of the EV motors, but with fast fuel of gasoline, and similar range. We are working on projects to further reduce costs of H2 delivered to get close to par with gasoline. Right now, gasoline equivelant of H2 is about $16 per gallon. We have a project goign on stream in about a month that will lower that to about $8. Again, not perfect, but in LA area where gas is over $4, its getting more attractive. And we are now making H2 with land fill gas instead of natural gas, so its more environmentally freindly. Here in the Buffalo area, we are looking at electrolizers using hydro power and water to generate GH2. We still need to compress it, but if green energy is the goal, I see more direct, and higher availability H2 as a solution.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6