08/15/21 02:27 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

[Linked Image]

the 220 50V VTE is raised and the X in the top clicks when you press on it.
This is new to me and I guess some newer caps look like this. But it doesn't look like the others, so I have to guess it is blown?

There are no pins under it in the board. Looks like 2 tabs on each side soldered to the board?

It is in a dash cam and it started shutting off after about 2 seconds of filming.
I am guessing temp's going over 100 here might have hurt it, or just a bad cap. Is there a good replacement choice that won't die due to the heat?

Figured I would try to save it rather than spend another hundred or two for another that might die in a year.

and @hooziewhatsit in case Dave has a min.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2954034
08/15/21 02:58 PM
08/15/21 02:58 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
That's "surface mount" technology. Good luck trying to replace it without screwing up the board.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Stanton] #2954052
08/15/21 03:39 PM
08/15/21 03:39 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
It appears to be an electrolytic cap, those usually puke out the electrolyte when they pop.

Replacing one isn't difficult, if you have the tools and training. If you have never soldered before probably not easy.

You'd need a pencil point soldering iron, NOT A GUN, some method to remove solder and a steady hand. Used to do that kind of thing all the time, but that was years ago.

https://bdspeedytech.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3561

Good to 85C operating range, which is about 185F, so I wouldn;t jump on that as the issue.

I'd get a meter that reads capacitance and check it myself.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Sniper] #2954055
08/15/21 04:02 PM
08/15/21 04:02 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I have seen electrolytics blown like that. My eyes and hands are not good enough anymore to do that fine work, but with magnification it could be easier. Get a cap (likely online only) and take a stab at it...

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2954059
08/15/21 04:53 PM
08/15/21 04:53 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

Thanks
found a few videos on removing and replacing. doesn't seem that bad.

any reason I can't use the more common looking caps?
should work the same right?
they would be easier to put back on.

I also found a way to test with an ohm meter, just to be sure, so I will give that a try when I get a chance.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2954079
08/15/21 06:29 PM
08/15/21 06:29 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I suppose a regular capacitor could be attached, but I wouldn't necessarily trust it to stay. It will also have the same challenges as using a replacement surface mount device.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2954109
08/15/21 08:27 PM
08/15/21 08:27 PM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
To quickly test capacitors in circuit
it saves a lot of time to use an
“ESR Meter”
( equivalent series resistance using high frequency alternating current)

The PEAK company $150 meters kind of pioneered the concept
but there are cheap meters that do ESR and more

https://www.amazon.com/Longruner-Po...tor+meter&qid=1629072745&sr=8-34

As others attest, it takes a steady hand, magnifying equipment, special soldering, and practice to repair surface mount boards.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: 360view] #2956032
08/21/21 04:08 PM
08/21/21 04:08 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

So I thought I would follow up.
I replaced it with a regular cap and the system fired up like normal, but the problem remained.
but I did find out it was a little different than I thought.

Whatever it is, the camera and screen comes up and starts recording. after about 2 seconds it turns off like I unplugged it.
IF the sd card isn't in and it can't record, it stays on as long as I want it to.
I have 2 of them both do the same. one I replace the cap in, so about 18 bucks down the tubes trying to fix it.
not a huge waste of money, but too bad it wasn't as easy as I had hoped.

Thanks for the help.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2956073
08/21/21 06:04 PM
08/21/21 06:04 PM
GA
roadrunninMark Offline
master
roadrunninMark  Offline
master

GA
Is there a loose wire somewhere (or one with some burned insulation that might be grounding itself to another in the harness) or ground? It sounds like when the recording is happening, it is heating up and the extra heat is causing it to shutdown. It could also be a "bad solder" somewhere on the board that controls the recording circuit. I have a Ford van that the radio display would go blank after a bit of use (a common issue on them). It turns out that the display circuit(s) had a "cold" solder and as it got warm, it lost contact with the board. A simple redo of the solder on the connections fixed it for good. Maybe your issue could be a common problem others have had. Did you try a google search on the item / make/ model?

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: roadrunninMark] #2956099
08/21/21 07:11 PM
08/21/21 07:11 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

it is sold under a lot of different names sadly.
and they seem to change names periodically and discontinue the other version.
which may be why.
a lot of surface mounted stuff, so not a lot of pins to check.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2956319
08/22/21 01:43 PM
08/22/21 01:43 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

just to clarify, a bad cap wouldn't do something like this?
or would it?
that is I know now everything but recording will work indefinitely.

Would a bad cap shut it down after it started recording? or is this just some other bad part that overheats?
I can turn it back on immediately(less the boot time) and it dies again at the same amount of record time.

I noticed a couple other caps with the same rating, just lower volts, I would try if it is still possible.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2956346
08/22/21 02:54 PM
08/22/21 02:54 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Andrewh
just to clarify, a bad cap wouldn't do something like this?

Maybe, but without a schematic and someone who knows how to read it and use that to sort out what the circuits are doing it is impossible to say. Just remember, not all parts are used all the time. It might be possible that this particular cap is only powered up in record mode.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Sniper] #2956348
08/22/21 02:59 PM
08/22/21 02:59 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

well I figured that might be a problem
the circuit board has a number, but when I tried to look that up, I got nothing.
I guess there are 2 more caps I can replace just because I already have a pack I can't return. worst case it does nothing and I am just out some time.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2956376
08/22/21 04:41 PM
08/22/21 04:41 PM
Oregon
hooziewhatsit Offline
master
hooziewhatsit  Offline
master

Oregon
Apparently @mentions don't work frown

It looks like the voltage regulator is the XL2596, adjustable. http://www.xlsemi.com/datasheet/XL2596%20datasheet.pdf

Pin 1 (going to the cap you replaced) is the unregulated voltage in (ie, 12v from the car).

One side of the big square "220" will connect to pin 2 on the regulator. The other side is the regulated output voltage to the rest of the board. This is an inductor, so a continuity test will show continuity through it.

It would be interesting to see what the input and output voltage do when it turns itself off.

It looks like pin 5, on/off is tied to the ground plane, so it shouldn't be turned off accidentally.

The solder joints I can see look decent enough.

Have you done a firmware update on them recently? Is there an option to load an older firmware version? work

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.
Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: hooziewhatsit] #2956470
08/23/21 06:27 AM
08/23/21 06:27 AM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

no changes.
I bought the first one over a year ago. about 6 months in, it started doing this same thing.
They finally sent me a replacement that has lasted just under a year as well.
I thought I had lived through the hottest part of the summer and it was going to be fine.
But it died.
So I took apart the original that died, and tried replacing the cap that looked blown.
That is what I put back in the car without the sd card.
Since it stayed on for over 10 seconds, I thought I had fixed it.
I then transferred the sd card and it automatically started recording and it died when it hit the 2 second mark.

So I then checked the one that didn't get touched. I plugged it in without the sd card and it too stayed on for over 10 seconds.
Once I put the sd card in, it recorded for 2 seconds and died as well.

I guess I could try another sd card just in case, but since it recorded and didn't error out I figured it was good and it was some other issue killing it.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2956482
08/23/21 08:33 AM
08/23/21 08:33 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Well worth it to try a “known good” SD card.

If the unit works for awhile “over the road” in automotive service
then your main suspicions should be effects from
vibration
heat
corrosion

Electrolytic capacitors of the past failed a lot because “knock off copies” had incorrect chemistry that copycat manufacturers failed to steal the secrets of.
Todays electrolytic capacitors are much improved but can still fail from high heat or high corrosion.

Do more goggle searches for service manuals, etc
because you need “pin out voltages”
to greatly help your troubleshooting.

Get the best magnifier you can borrow and very slowly compare solder connections one to another looking for flaws and color differences.
Pay extra attention to everything around the slot connector for the SD card.

If the read/writes to the SD card are generating lots of random errors
It is logical that the software would shut down the hardware once so many errors had occurred

Does anyone you know have the same camera, that still functions?

Reading all pins for voltage while the “known good” device operates.would give valuable clues about which component on the “bad” board has a problem.

It would be a hundred times better if you could observe both voltage and “trace” on pins with an oscilloscope.

Does anyone you know have a “thermal camera” ?
Looking at a board and seeing all the temperatures as varying colors would help spot the problem component.

You may not have a thermal camera but you do have the crude temperature sensing ability of a fingertip.

I realize asking about these specialized expensive tools is unlikely to be worth the money for an inexpensive camera,
but after the coming Chinese/USA nuclear war
and all the damage from EMP
survivors will badly need such tools,
if it is actually worth being a survivor.....

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: 360view] #2956483
08/23/21 08:45 AM
08/23/21 08:45 AM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by 360view

Does anyone you know have a “thermal camera” ?
Looking at a board and seeing all the temperatures as varying colors would help spot the problem component.

Back before thermal cameras we used a can of "canned air", like the stuff you can use to blow off a key board. We'd spray components one at a time and see if cooling one of them started things working, then replace that component.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: 360view] #2956490
08/23/21 09:02 AM
08/23/21 09:02 AM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

so I don't know anyone else that uses this system.

It isn't vibration since the car isn't moving. it dies shortly after start up, and I can do it just accessory so engine isn't even running.

I might know someone with a flir gun, so I might give that a try, but the short lived record time doesn't seem like it could overheat that quickly, but who knows.
the second did last longer than the first. 6 month to 11 months. but who knows what is going bad.

Re: is this a blown capacitor and how do you replace it? [Re: Andrewh] #2958336
08/28/21 02:04 PM
08/28/21 02:04 PM
A
Andrewh Offline OP
master
Andrewh  Offline OP
master
A

so I thought I would update.
I swapped out the sd card and it started working again.
I formatted the old one and it worked with that one too.
I found a few posts about people that had to periodically reformat the sd cards or they didn't get video that was usable when they needed it.

I guess this is how this camera lets you know it has some issue.
I have seen sd card needs to be formatted errors where it can't write at all, and the sd card is full messages, so I don't know why it wasn't covered with an error message, but who knows.

So assuming it lasts, I will add a reminder to format that card every few months just in case.

pretty sure I killed the old one I have, but might try to finish it up from the half taken apart state I left it in for a backup just in case.