Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
From the article: "Toyota has run the numbers and doesn’t think the power grids are ready to handle electrifying billions of cars. We’ve reported on this for months now."

Well, Duh. If only our greenie government understood this. I mean, lets fire up more coal and natural gas burning electrical plants to support the 'green' cars, right?

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: oldjonny] #2948132
07/28/21 12:11 PM
07/28/21 12:11 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by oldjonny
From the article: "Toyota has run the numbers and doesn’t think the power grids are ready to handle electrifying billions of cars. We’ve reported on this for months now."

Well, Duh. If only our greenie government understood this. I mean, lets fire up more coal and natural gas burning electrical plants to support the 'green' cars, right?

Not to mention other less developed countries and areas.

You think Central Africa, South America, Siberia, or the deserts of Saudi or Australia are ready for electric cars? Nope nope nope.

ICEs are going to be around for a long while yet.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: wingman] #2948298
07/28/21 08:30 PM
07/28/21 08:30 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Didn't they just come out yesterday and say, if the USA goes green with electric vehicles, solar power plants, wind power plants, etc, there would need to be between a 2X and 3X increase in power transmission lines. Now understand this, CA came out today and stated due to the temps, the grid was close to failure. That means, people are using electricity and the system is pretty much max'd. One huge problem is NIMBYism. People don't want the huge power lines running near them so actually achieving a 200-300% increase in transmission capacity is a pipe dream. Toyota and Cummins seem to have this figured out. In reality all the auto makers do. The automakers in the US went to the gov and asked them to please not increase the CAFE requirements as there is only so much money for research. They can either make ICE engines more efficient or research electric vehicles. By the way, GM makes what, 5 cars, Ford makes 1. Why? Well besides the profit margins, SUVs fall into a different area for CAFE? Cummins is going Hydrogen. I heard long term that is what Toyota things will work the best also. Cummins believes with just a bit of tweeking an ICE engine can run on Hydrogen and become almost pollution free. I guess we will see. What is also not covered is right now homes are not set up to charge the vehicles. I have a 110 outlet by the garage. 1 hours charge will get me 3 miles according to what I read last week. My daily commute is 30 miles and that doesn't include running errands or going over to see customers. That is 10 hours of charging. But there are 4 drivers in the family and that many cars. Solution? Install 220. Hey, somebody has to pay for that. Guess who. How many boxes have 8 extra slots?
What I do like is reading about the new solar tech. They estimate that by 2025 a panel on your house could produce 80% more electric. In many areas, homes could be literally free of the grid. That would cut down on the transmission requirements for sure but nothing is free folks.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: DaveRS23] #2948314
07/28/21 09:20 PM
07/28/21 09:20 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Interesting Story. Thanks for posting.

Eventually there will be a shift to more, or full electric, but it is going to take time and probably government money to do it.

We have done it before in similar ways.

Gasoline was sold at hardware stores in the late 1800's and people said horses would never be replaced because you couldn't buy gasoline just anywhere. Gasoline because easily available and the government built interstates for cars.

It won't happen overnight but it will probably happen. On the other had electric vehicles could go the way of flying cars where it was just unfeasible but everyone got excited about the idea for a time.

Interesting to watch what happens but I don't think it will happen in the next 20 years. Too much infrastructure to build IMHO.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: klunick] #2948334
07/28/21 09:45 PM
07/28/21 09:45 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by klunick
Didn't they just come out yesterday and say, if the USA goes green with electric vehicles, solar power plants, wind power plants, etc, there would need to be between a 2X and 3X increase in power transmission lines. Now understand this, CA came out today and stated due to the temps, the grid was close to failure. That means, people are using electricity and the system is pretty much max'd. One huge problem is NIMBYism. People don't want the huge power lines running near them so actually achieving a 200-300% increase in transmission capacity is a pipe dream. Toyota and Cummins seem to have this figured out. In reality all the auto makers do. The automakers in the US went to the gov and asked them to please not increase the CAFE requirements as there is only so much money for research. They can either make ICE engines more efficient or research electric vehicles. By the way, GM makes what, 5 cars, Ford makes 1. Why? Well besides the profit margins, SUVs fall into a different area for CAFE? Cummins is going Hydrogen. I heard long term that is what Toyota things will work the best also. Cummins believes with just a bit of tweeking an ICE engine can run on Hydrogen and become almost pollution free. I guess we will see. What is also not covered is right now homes are not set up to charge the vehicles. I have a 110 outlet by the garage. 1 hours charge will get me 3 miles according to what I read last week. My daily commute is 30 miles and that doesn't include running errands or going over to see customers. That is 10 hours of charging. But there are 4 drivers in the family and that many cars. Solution? Install 220. Hey, somebody has to pay for that. Guess who. How many boxes have 8 extra slots?
What I do like is reading about the new solar tech. They estimate that by 2025 a panel on your house could produce 80% more electric. In many areas, homes could be literally free of the grid. That would cut down on the transmission requirements for sure but nothing is free folks.

Yes the NIMBY’s want all these high voltage line underground which increases the cost many times over IN ADDITION to the lines not being too close to their homes. Cause that cell phone, tanning bed, and cosmetic injections are much much safer. eyes

The hope is that a battery could GET enough solar power and STORE enough to power to charge two 19.7 kW fast chargers overnight.

Most residential infrastructures need a pad mounted transformer on your property or directly between 2 properties to simultaneously charge two Tesla fast chargers per house. … not a problem if YOU pay for it. An easy $30k+ for trenching, ductwork, high voltage connection work, structures, new meter panel, etc

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/28/21 09:47 PM.
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: autoxcuda] #2948337
07/28/21 09:51 PM
07/28/21 09:51 PM
Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
J
JDMopar Offline
master
JDMopar  Offline
master
J

Candler,NC / Myrtle Beach, SC
I work for a power company that has one of the strongest and most reliable grids in the country, and if too many car chargers got added in a short time span, our grid would burn down every day. Power companies are having a hard enough time keeping up with the housing boom. The Tesla Supercharger stations that you see here and there are all working on 480 volt 3 phase, and that is the only way to get those POS's to charge at an acceptable time frame.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: JDMopar] #2948351
07/28/21 10:14 PM
07/28/21 10:14 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by JDMopar
I work for a power company that has one of the strongest and most reliable grids in the country, and if too many car chargers got added in a short time span, our grid would burn down every day. Power companies are having a hard enough time keeping up with the housing boom. The Tesla Supercharger stations that you see here and there are all working on 480 volt 3 phase, and that is the only way to get those POS's to charge at an acceptable time frame.

iagree

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: autoxcuda] #2948353
07/28/21 10:29 PM
07/28/21 10:29 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Here’s some math….

One 19.7 kW fast charger = 91.21 amps @ 240 volts

2 fast chargers = 182.42 amps

One 4 ton air conditioning unit = 25.92 amps approx

Two Tesla fast chargers are like running 7 homes worth of decent sized A/C

Last edited by autoxcuda; 07/28/21 10:29 PM.
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: wingman] #2948384
07/29/21 12:13 AM
07/29/21 12:13 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
You think Central Africa, South America, Siberia, or the deserts of Saudi or Australia are ready for electric cars? Nope nope nope.

Saudi Arabia going green? Sure thing: right after their wells run dry.
But hey ! plenty of sun & area for solar.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: autoxcuda] #2948385
07/29/21 12:20 AM
07/29/21 12:20 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by autoxcuda
Here’s some math….

One 19.7 kW fast charger = 91.21 amps @ 240 volts

2 fast chargers = 182.42 amps

One 4 ton air conditioning unit = 25.92 amps approx

Two Tesla fast chargers are like running 7 homes worth of decent sized A/C

How about a requirement that either the a/c OR the charger is energized at a given time?
They'll want the ability to turn On/Off those stations remotely at their discretion I'm sure.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: DaveRS23] #2948386
07/29/21 12:24 AM
07/29/21 12:24 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
EVs are superior to ICE cars in about 20% of the cases, mostly urban commuting or return to base type vehicles (school buses, mail trucks, delivery vans, etc.). Then there are some push cases and then there are a big huge list of vehicles that have zero chance of going EV in the near future. Anyone who thinks we're going to convert everything over to EVs in the next 20 years is nuts.

A lot of people will be better off with an EV and many of them don't know it yet. But once that first wave of adoption is over it is going to be slow grind to convert the next segment. A lot of things will have to change before it ever makes sense to convert more than a third or so of all cars to EV.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: AndyF] #2948389
07/29/21 01:31 AM
07/29/21 01:31 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Originally Posted by AndyF
EVs are superior to ICE cars in about 20% of the cases, mostly urban commuting or return to base type vehicles (school buses, mail trucks, delivery vans, etc.). Then there are some push cases and then there are a big huge list of vehicles that have zero chance of going EV in the near future. Anyone who thinks we're going to convert everything over to EVs in the next 20 years is nuts.

A lot of people will be better off with an EV and many of them don't know it yet. But once that first wave of adoption is over it is going to be slow grind to convert the next segment. A lot of things will have to change before it ever makes sense to convert more than a third or so of all cars to EV.

Also, return to base vehicles are more cost effective and quicker to upgrade the infrastructure for.

One property, one entity, less construction impact, less cost vs ev’s gained, etc.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: autoxcuda] #2948394
07/29/21 05:55 AM
07/29/21 05:55 AM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
I think they're against them purely because they are much simpler than gas cars and therefore it'll be easy for anyone to match their reliability record twocents

In the same token, I can't wait to see the blatantly built in planned obsolescence the Germans did with them. Those pieces of crap falling apart in 5 years is part of their business model

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: DaveRS23] #2948427
07/29/21 09:40 AM
07/29/21 09:40 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
The average age of vehicles on the road today is over 12 years with 25% of them over 16 years old. It will be interesting to see how these battery powered units and their maintenance costs will fair compared to today's ICE powered units. And then there's the issue that electrical gremlins today are what seems to be the most difficult problems to have accurately diagnosed. Which will only get worse as vehicles get more, varied, and more complicated electrical systems.

I have no problem with green energy and battery powered vehicles up to a point. It just seems that the Federal government is getting the cart before the horse. The technologies need to mature and the costs come into reality and the infrastructure problems be addressed BEFORE we launch head long into a conversion to battery vehicles.

Master, again and still
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: DaveRS23] #2948430
07/29/21 09:48 AM
07/29/21 09:48 AM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
The future will have decentralized energy production and delivery and cars will run on power stored in some manner other than electrochemical batteries (flywheels, hydrogen, hybrids of the two, etc).

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: calmopar] #2948443
07/29/21 10:14 AM
07/29/21 10:14 AM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by calmopar
The future will have decentralized energy production and delivery and cars will run on power stored in some manner other than electrochemical batteries (flywheels, hydrogen, hybrids of the two, etc).

I like the thought of this but it won't happen until the "power" company/manufacturer figures out how to repetitively bill for the energy you use.

They developed self contained reactors in the 80's that allowed you to drop a technically safe reactor on a deserted island and have power to run desalination equipment, household equipment, etc. About the size of a small car and under $10k (1980's dollars). Non were sold that I know of. There is no recurring profit so no interest to produce them.

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: IMGTX] #2948524
07/29/21 01:16 PM
07/29/21 01:16 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Batteries and motors have been around longer than the ICE but ICEs won for a reason. Sure electrical motor and battery tech has come a long way but so has the ICE and the efficiency from things like VVT MDS variable runner intakes, stratified charges, turbos, 8-10 speed or even more transmissions have all helped improve the efficiency of ICE cars dramatically. A modern dodge dart is as fast as an old dodge dart wile getting double or triple the MPG (of course they look butt ugly though). Like Andyf said electrics are fine for a very small percent of people, I think probably even less than 25% really.

I am curious why electrics and hybrids get so much aerodynamic attention compared to the ICE powered cars, look under a honda civic vs a hybrid honda civic, they do waaaay more stuff to improve the efficiency of the aerodynamics, full belly pan with louvers to carefully direct airflow, heck even the wheels are more aerodynamic but then they give all the credit to it being a hybrid. Also the power to weight of a hybrid is terrible, they are much slower than the ICE counterpart, make an ICE that slow and they would get great MPG also. Another example is the tesla, they have pulled out all the stops to make it aerodynamic to extend the range, how about make an ICE car that slippery and see how much the range is extended in that also.

I think an easy solution would be to toss a small honda generator in the truck of a tesla to start charging anytime battery level gets lowish, it could run after shut down if there is no charging station to hook to, it could be very efficient because it only needs optimized for one specific RPM as well as optimized emissions.

I still regret not buying an old nissan hardbody someone had converted to a big electric motor years ago and sticking a little generator in the bed to keep the lead acid batteries charged.

Hydrogen is certainly not the solution, there is just too much energy lost in splitting the water into hydrogen and oxygen vs what you gain from re-combining them to generate electric or combustion heat. I think the dollars for hydrogen research comes from the advertising budget, "hey look, we are studying hydrogen, buy our diesel to help fund our green research!".

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: HotRodDave] #2948528
07/29/21 01:26 PM
07/29/21 01:26 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Batteries and motors have been around longer than the ICE but ICEs won for a reason. Sure electrical motor and battery tech has come a long way but so has the ICE and the efficiency from things like VVT MDS variable runner intakes, stratified charges, turbos, 8-10 speed or even more transmissions have all helped improve the efficiency of ICE cars dramatically.

I'm really not an electric car proponent, but even after all you said is absolutely true, electric has thermal efficiency in spades over ICE's. Nothing I know of is ever going to overcome that. Long trips in electric cars are going to be longer than ICE's. A lot of people seem to be wiling to bear this burden. I don't think it'll be long before the novelty wears off and they'll want an ICE powered vehicle for trips, unless they go airlines? FWIW, I hope to NEVER again enter a winged greyhound puke

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Toyota doesn't want to build only EVs [Re: 3hundred] #2948546
07/29/21 02:16 PM
07/29/21 02:16 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Batteries and motors have been around longer than the ICE but ICEs won for a reason. Sure electrical motor and battery tech has come a long way but so has the ICE and the efficiency from things like VVT MDS variable runner intakes, stratified charges, turbos, 8-10 speed or even more transmissions have all helped improve the efficiency of ICE cars dramatically.

I'm really not an electric car proponent, but even after all you said is absolutely true, electric has thermal efficiency in spades over ICE's. Nothing I know of is ever going to overcome that. Long trips in electric cars are going to be longer than ICE's. A lot of people seem to be wiling to bear this burden. I don't think it'll be long before the novelty wears off and they'll want an ICE powered vehicle for trips, unless they go airlines? FWIW, I hope to NEVER again enter a winged greyhound puke

20% say they will go back to ICE powered next purchase. www.greencarreports.com/news/113210...asoline-and-home-charging-is-a-big-issue

Master, again and still
Page 1 of 2 1 2