07/27/21 08:02 PM
07/27/21 08:02 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Capital One is pretty good. They will stop a transaction that their AI flags as suspicious and send me a text message that I then have to approve. I will get a message while at a gas pump while I'm trying to buy gas in a different city.

Yesterday morning some scumbag tried buying a Nintendo Switch (handheld gaming thingy, sheesh) from Gamestop and vaping stuff from Walmart. Not food, diapers, medicine. Go figure!!! The Gamestop purchase was allowed but the Walmart was flagged and locked up the card.

I called Gamestop online sales. They put a hold on the FedEx shipment and are having it redirected/returned. The low life was having it delivered to a LOCAL motel. So it must have been a local dirt bag.

I never give my credit card number info out locally. I'm thinking they may have possibly got something out of the trash? Like a document that I may have faxed and then thrown away. I bought a commercial shredder today for the office. We have old records shredded by a large truck that comes and does it right before our eyes but I'm going to shred everything myself now. Even daily/weekly notes/faxes/etc. OR they could have photo copied my business card when it was out of my sight like they do at a restaurant (but I don't buy meals with my business card?). Then looked up my name. Associated it with the business and then copied all my address, phone number and email info. All my legitimate was associated with the order except it was being delivered to a motel front desk. I received a "thanks for the order and here's your tracking" confirmation. I'm sure motels, that get shipments for customers all the time, I know I've even done that for work, probably aren't at security savvy and may have given the package to a bad guy if he just provided a copy of the receipt.

Wish there was a way to specify that my credit card would ONLY allow shipments to the billing address. I know some businesses will only ship to the billing address.

hotel.jpg

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 71TA] #2947912
07/27/21 08:13 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Yikes; glad it got corrected.
Haven't had that happen to me in many years.
One rep told me that it's just dumb luck that a crook will hit on a #, but how they'd get the expiration & security code must REALLY be luck.

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 71TA] #2947913
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Had this happen a few times with Capital One. Merely a minor inconvenience because their service has been great each time. Sure beats the hassle of what happens if you have a debit card that gets compromised.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 71TA] #2947915
07/27/21 08:22 PM
07/27/21 08:22 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
Glad it was stopped.

They may not have copied your card but used skimmer or other stealth trick. I have one card, I use for one expense, at one specific place, a storage shed kiosk. The card got compromised. I contacted the business and told them I only use it there and they said they would send somebody to check the kiosk.

In my case it wasn't local. Somebody charged pizza in CA.

I am pretty sure that these numbers get hacked out of the credit card companies as much as they skimmed off the consumer.

They won't admit it though.

Last edited by IMGTX; 07/27/21 08:24 PM.
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: not_a_charger] #2947919
07/27/21 08:26 PM
07/27/21 08:26 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Online content
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Online Content
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I know people who have this happen to them at least once a year or more. It's like they get a new card and somehow someone already knows how to get at it in no time. Wherever they frequently use it has something to do with it. Gas station or food place employees maybe?

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 71TA] #2947922
07/27/21 08:32 PM
07/27/21 08:32 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I had it happen with Summit racing about 5 or so years back. They allowed someone claiming to be a relative to change my ship to address. The SOB bought 1 item, had it overnighted and then went on a shopping spree over about 5 days.
He purchased over 8500.00 of big block ford parts. I just happened to look at my account online and saw something was amiss.
Obviously the bank cancelled all the transactions and issued a new card>
I called Summit and they were like, oh no big deal, happens all the time. We have an insurance company that approves all transactions. OK, you didn't notify me that someone changed my ship to address? No. Even Facebook sends an immediate email when any account information is changed. Our security people don't think that's required.
maybe they'd like to compensate me for the BS I know have to go through because they're idiots spank. HTF did they get access to my account to do so? Uhh we're not sure.
The ship to address was a legitimate house address. I even went so far as to call the local PD in the town (west of St. louis) and left a message to call me as I think I know how the card number was compromised. Nothing, NADA. Still wonder to this day if the J/O got 8500.00 worth of free parts? realcrazy
The bank then was issuing me new cards every 6 to 12 months (a royal PITA) until recently when I received a new one with an extended expiration date. beer

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: Neil] #2947924
07/27/21 08:34 PM
07/27/21 08:34 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I am certain that in my case, it was someone at the bank. I refinanced my house with the same bank that held my previous mortgage. When they pulled my credit, my card was compromised a week later. Because of the refi boom, they were slow, and ended up pulling my credit again. 3 days later, card was compromised again. Prior to that, my card was compromised one other time, about 8 years ago. I've had the card for over 20 years.

DBAP
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: IMGTX] #2947927
07/27/21 08:37 PM
07/27/21 08:37 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by IMGTX
They may not have copied your card but used skimmer or other stealth trick.

This old dog is attempting to learn to use GPay on my phone tied to my credit card to try to avoid the skimmers that are becoming so prevalent around here. As little as I understand it, GPay uses some sort of "phony" cc number to anonymize your transactions? Also got a couple of store apps tied to GPay to avoid less than honest cashiers.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 3hundred] #2947928
07/27/21 08:38 PM
07/27/21 08:38 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by IMGTX
They may not have copied your card but used skimmer or other stealth trick.

This old dog is attempting to learn to use GPay on my phone tied to my credit card to try to avoid the skimmers that are becoming so prevalent around here. As little as I understand it, GPay uses some sort of "phony" cc number to anonymize your transactions? Also got a couple of store apps tied to GPay to avoid less than honest cashiers.

Captial One has a similar setup for online transactions. I just started using it. Very easy.

DBAP
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 3hundred] #2947931
07/27/21 08:40 PM
07/27/21 08:40 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
I used to have a Capital One card issued from Cabelas. The ONLY reason I had the card was Cabelas used to offer some pretty good added savings for using their card at their store. The ONLY time I used the card was at their store and it was compromised with a local in store purchase. Tossed the card and also tossed shopping at Cabelas...ever since they were bought by Bass Pro they have been on a downward spiral to the toilet. Never have been back

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: oldjonny] #2947952
07/27/21 10:21 PM
07/27/21 10:21 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Of all places to get scammed, I had it happen from renewing my registration at the DMV several years ago. At the time, I could almost see the DMV from my house I lived so close, yet, in that short amount of time, charges started appearing from Chicago. It was my CU debit/charge Visa card. My CU locked the card immediately. I went back to the DMV and they were like 'not our problem'. Luckily, the charges were less than $30 and my CU reimbursed me.

I still use a card at the DMV, but I check my account before I even leave their driveway.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: SattyNoCar] #2947959
07/27/21 10:38 PM
07/27/21 10:38 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
I have two accounts. One I use the debit card for on line stuff, local purchases at gas stations, food stores, etc. when I don't use cash, Paypal, all the crap where it gets exposed. Keep a minimum of money in it and can transfer money into it in seconds to cover anything I do. Gets hacked once in awhile. Bank catches it usually. Just how it is. The other, where all my direct deposits, checks, etc. go. has no exposure to online, local use, etc.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: 71TA] #2948004
07/28/21 06:05 AM
07/28/21 06:05 AM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
I've had it happen to me three or four times. The first being in college when some crackhead used my card to buy a dial up internet subscription for his house from NetZero. They gave me his address, name, and phone number, what a phone call that was.

I had to cancel a Visa card not long ago because Visa would flag my fuel purchases out of state and lock my card down (think late night, tank empty, trailer and car attached), but were letting coffee and mini mart purchases go through from 2,500 miles away.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: A39Coronet] #2948014
07/28/21 07:42 AM
07/28/21 07:42 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
It seems to happen about every 5-6 years. Once the bank actually admitted that a database had been hacked (think it was a grocery store chain. Hanover maybe?). It's a moderate pain because I have several automatic payments and I have to change them all, plus all the online businesses that store the cc number like Amazon.

I've also found that the flagging system is useless... for example, I had a nearby recurring job so every two weeks I would order a pizza 100 miles from my house, and pick it up, same $9 every time for a year! Also stayed at the same Hampton Inn for 3 days every other week. No problems for a long time... but after about six months I got a text/call from the bank saying there was suspicious activity on my card... you guessed it, $9 at the St. Robert Papa John's rolleyes

Better yet, a while after that, on my statement there were ten consecutive charges for $50 and $25 from "Steampunk.com" which I'd never patronized in my life. They let THOSE go through without flagging, of course. Grrr.

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: DrCharles] #2948032
07/28/21 08:38 AM
07/28/21 08:38 AM
Minneapolis, MN
H
hemi70se Offline
top fuel
hemi70se  Offline
top fuel
H

Minneapolis, MN
I'm going through being a victim right now with Paypal. A month ago my dormant Paypal account got hacked into. The scammer then changed the password and added his bank account from the Bronx NY, then turned off the instant payment notifications. He then ghosted a few legit business websites where people must have thought they were opening a tab to a legit business when it was not. People then placed orders and paid with Paypal. I can't believe people are so stupid to think a legit business uses ONLY Paypal for payment! The scammer received about $12,000 in purchase orders over 3 days and quickly transferred the money to HIS own bank account. I finally get a call from Paypal for suspicious activity. And tons of emails from pissed off people wondering where their items they bought are. The absurd thing is Paypal allowed a person to change my password without positive ID of my last 4 SS numbers or a phone call verification to the phone number on file. I have since added the text to my phone verification code for each time I log in. I HIGHLY recommend this!! or drop your useless paypal account

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: hemi70se] #2948061
07/28/21 09:50 AM
07/28/21 09:50 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by hemi70se
I'm going through being a victim right now with Paypal. A month ago my dormant Paypal account got hacked into. The scammer then changed the password and added his bank account from the Bronx NY, then turned off the instant payment notifications. He then ghosted a few legit business websites where people must have thought they were opening a tab to a legit business when it was not. People then placed orders and paid with Paypal. I can't believe people are so stupid to think a legit business uses ONLY Paypal for payment! The scammer received about $12,000 in purchase orders over 3 days and quickly transferred the money to HIS own bank account. I finally get a call from Paypal for suspicious activity. And tons of emails from pissed off people wondering where their items they bought are. The absurd thing is Paypal allowed a person to change my password without positive ID of my last 4 SS numbers or a phone call verification to the phone number on file. I have since added the text to my phone verification code for each time I log in. I HIGHLY recommend this!! or drop your useless paypal account

I believe MOST of this BS is an inside job. Like mentioned above. I refinanced my current mortgage during the Great Recession back toa 30year just in case the wheels came off the economy and i needed breathing room. IMMEADIATELY my whole financial life was turned upside down. I hate to use a broad brush but I had a bad feeling about the people at the bank I was dealing with. None spoke English as a primary language. THAT will never happen again. I just purchased a home on an island and the financing was handled by a local investor that loans money to safe bets (I only needed to finance 40% for 3 years). Not an effing bank that doesn't even investigate their own people (in all fairness how can you know you are hiring crooks that are ANXIOUS to work in the mortgage department to get access to peoples LIVES) AFTER THIS, I will never ever borrow money again. I only use a credit card for business convenience. Paid in full every month. Never a finance charge.

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: hemi70se] #2948099
07/28/21 11:15 AM
07/28/21 11:15 AM
St. Louis, Missouri area
Cometstorm Offline
"Beat It"
Cometstorm  Offline
"Beat It"

St. Louis, Missouri area
I'm going through being a victim right now with Paypal. A month ago my dormant Paypal account got hacked into. I have since added the text to my phone verification code for each time I log in. I HIGHLY recommend this!! or drop your useless paypal account

Thanks much for that heads up! up

I just initiated that security step on my PayPal too… beer

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: Cometstorm] #2948131
07/28/21 12:09 PM
07/28/21 12:09 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by Cometstorm
I'm going through being a victim right now with Paypal. A month ago my dormant Paypal account got hacked into. I have since added the text to my phone verification code for each time I log in. I HIGHLY recommend this!! or drop your useless paypal account

Thanks much for that heads up! up

I just initiated that security step on my PayPal too… beer

I'm doing that too. Have that on my online web store and my payroll. PIA but worth the security. Next the thieves will be able to spoof my cell number.

Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: hemi70se] #2948194
07/28/21 03:17 PM
07/28/21 03:17 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan

Had similar happen to me with PayPal. I dumped the account and will never open another.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: Credit card compromised. 1st time in 2 years [Re: oldjonny] #2948284
07/28/21 07:48 PM
07/28/21 07:48 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
So I drove the the FedEx/Kinkos where I had the Game Stop purchase redirected and picked it up. Tried calling Game3 Stop and the grilled me like I was the bad guy. asking a ton of verification info. NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED. I was thinking I could get a return label and return for refund but if they know it was stolen and returned the person on the other end at game stop would probably steal it. The world had officially gone to the dogs. I now have about 3 hours of my time invested in this thing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2