07/21/21 07:15 PM
07/21/21 07:15 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

So 6 days before Carlisle I got a new transmission from Chrysler in my 2015 Ram installed at the dealership that sold me the truck new, hooked up the trailer, and headed east. No issues at all going out, driving around while there, and 90 miles back west. That is when it quit working altogether, completely freewheeled no forward gears or reverse. Was going up a long grade near Bedford, PA and had to back off the road and call Chrysler and they sent a wrecker which they paid for. However I had to pay $230 for the trailer to be towed to the dealership in Bedford also. I had to stay the night locally then rent a U-Haul van to bring my parts back home as it was the only vehicle for rent within a 30 mile radius! They would only rent it round trip, so I had to take it back the next Monday. Luckily a good friend came out to Bedford and met me so I could get home. The dealership in Bedford couldn't even look at until last Friday then said it is something internal and they will take the trans out and see if it is fixable. I use my truck as my business and without it I don't have any income, so what should I do with Chrysler about compensation? They had not offered something to drive either. This has cost me over $2000 and lost income as I had to put off some transports and parts sales because of it. I did get the old 2001 Cummins truck up and running but I don't trust it for long transports and it has no HVAC at all, so I need to get a complete dash and all components and take the time to get it all going. Thanks for reading my rant, but I had to borrow a Duramax from a friend to get me trailer back home and finish the two transports I was doing when the Ram broke. I may just go to the dark side...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945756
07/21/21 07:27 PM
07/21/21 07:27 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I doubt the GM trans will work out any better for you, I hear lots of bad things about them as well, but the GM guys don't complain on line when their stuff fails. I think they sort of expect it to fail, so when it does, its expected.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: poorboy] #2945758
07/21/21 07:30 PM
07/21/21 07:30 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by poorboy
I doubt the GM trans will work out any better for you, I hear lots of bad things about them as well, but the GM guys don't complain on line when their stuff fails. I think they sort of expect it to fail, so when it does, its expected.

FB_IMG_1626216400388.jpg

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Guitar Jones] #2945759
07/21/21 07:34 PM
07/21/21 07:34 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Insert shock face here

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945761
07/21/21 07:35 PM
07/21/21 07:35 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by Rhinodart
So 6 days before Carlisle I got a new transmission from Chrysler in my 2015 Ram installed at the dealership that sold me the truck new, hooked up the trailer, and headed east. No issues at all going out, driving around while there, and 90 miles back west. That is when it quit working altogether, completely freewheeled no forward gears or reverse. Was going up a long grade near Bedford, PA and had to back off the road and call Chrysler and they sent a wrecker which they paid for. However I had to pay $230 for the trailer to be towed to the dealership in Bedford also. I had to stay the night locally then rent a U-Haul van to bring my parts back home as it was the only vehicle for rent within a 30 mile radius! They would only rent it round trip, so I had to take it back the next Monday. Luckily a good friend came out to Bedford and met me so I could get home. The dealership in Bedford couldn't even look at until last Friday then said it is something internal and they will take the trans out and see if it is fixable. I use my truck as my business and without it I don't have any income, so what should I do with Chrysler about compensation? They had not offered something to drive either. This has cost me over $2000 and lost income as I had to put off some transports and parts sales because of it. I did get the old 2001 Cummins truck up and running but I don't trust it for long transports and it has no HVAC at all, so I need to get a complete dash and all components and take the time to get it all going. Thanks for reading my rant, but I had to borrow a Duramax from a friend to get me trailer back home and finish the two transports I was doing when the Ram broke. I may just go to the dark side...

I don't think there is really any recourse for you, the fine print takes care of those liabilities. Sorry about your luck but you know the saying, poop happens. I still for the life of me can't figure out your inclination to destroy transmissions. You are like a one man trans wrecking ball. laugh2

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Guitar Jones] #2945764
07/21/21 07:45 PM
07/21/21 07:45 PM
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

I don't think there is really any recourse for you, the fine print takes care of those liabilities. Sorry about your luck but you know the saying, poop happens. I still for the life of me can't figure out your inclination to destroy transmissions. You are like a one man trans wrecking ball. laugh2

What I didn't mention is that I bought a lifetime powertrain warranty and they replaced the first trans at 281,000 miles and it only cost me my $200 deductible. I was counting my lucky stars until 6 days later, I thought I would get another 280K miles out of the new trans! I then found out it was a reman, not a new trans. They also replaced the torque converter and cooler as it was the torque converter that really failed and put garbage throughout the original trans. The also replaced the left exhaust manifold because it was warped and kept breaking the cheap Chinese studs...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945777
07/21/21 08:09 PM
07/21/21 08:09 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

What I didn't mention is that I bought a lifetime powertrain warranty and they replaced the first trans at 281,000 miles and it only cost me my $200 deductible. I was counting my lucky stars until 6 days later, I thought I would get another 280K miles out of the new trans! I then found out it was a reman, not a new trans. They also replaced the torque converter and cooler as it was the torque converter that really failed and put garbage throughout the original trans. The also replaced the left exhaust manifold because it was warped and kept breaking the cheap Chinese studs...

Unfortunately the warranty has the say over how and what is replaced. Sucks I know but something obviously failed in the replacement trans. The fine print would have the usual disclaimers that they aren't responsible for any consequential damage or loss due to loss of use of the vehicle. Pretty standard stuff. You can ask, but I don't think it will get you anywhere. Now some of those Mopar warranties have coverage for trip interuption, hotel rooms, rental vehicle etc. Read your warranty, you might get some reimbursement.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Guitar Jones] #2945803
07/21/21 08:48 PM
07/21/21 08:48 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
You aren’t going to get far with reman garbage and that’s all they will do for you at the dealer. Take it to Brian’s Truck Shop in Arkansas or some place like that that builds good diesel transmissions. Maybe the guys in Amarillo that do the builds on YouTube would be ok. Precision transmission.

No idea if you have it turned up, but guys that make much over stock power have long trashed the trans on these diesels. My last one I figured it out and just added a cooler and syn fluid and things went well for me.

I want my fair share
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945807
07/21/21 08:55 PM
07/21/21 08:55 PM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
I would politely pitch your case to them, politely ask to go as high up in the chain as you can get, and if that doesn't get you anything, try to work through the dealership with the angle of you're the customer, maybe even a repeat customer. Being nice to customer service agents can pay dividends, but your asking them to voluntarily make it right most likely.

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2945820
07/21/21 09:34 PM
07/21/21 09:34 PM
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
You aren’t going to get far with reman garbage and that’s all they will do for you at the dealer. Take it to Brian’s Truck Shop in Arkansas or some place like that that builds good diesel transmissions. Maybe the guys in Amarillo that do the builds on YouTube would be ok. Precision transmission.

No idea if you have it turned up, but guys that make much over stock power have long trashed the trans on these diesels. My last one I figured it out and just added a cooler and syn fluid and things went well for me.

It is a stock 5.7 Hemi, I quit diesels long ago though I had to resurrect my 2001 so I can get some things done. 66RFE trans that was quite good for 281K miles! Unfortunately I left the warranty paperwork in my truck so I don't know what it covers! realcrazy I will go talk with my dealer here and get a copy of it. The dealer where I bought my truck has been great, and they have been sponsoring my Mopar show for 10 years now, so I have a good relationship with them.

Last edited by Rhinodart; 07/21/21 09:35 PM.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945821
07/21/21 09:37 PM
07/21/21 09:37 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Bummer dude, you do seem to have some kind of hex on you pity Have you considered a stick, or do you break those as well ? whistling pity beer shock
No offense meant BTW.

Last edited by TJP; 07/21/21 09:42 PM.
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: TJP] #2945847
07/21/21 10:33 PM
07/21/21 10:33 PM
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Central Michigan
I've watched your adventures in transmission destruction for years, and have always wondered why you didn't move up to a Medium Duty with an Allison. I wouldn't buy a 2010 or later diesel on a bet, but last I knew (and it has been a few years) you could buy a new Low-Pro Navistar or Freightliner as a glider and have the dealer install a reman driveline. A 5.9 or 8.3 mechanical Cummins or DT 466 with an Allison behind it should be pretty bulletproof for 500-750k miles, and with a Texas-hauler bed and 19.5 rubber, you wouldn't be much different than an F550...

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2945853
07/21/21 10:42 PM
07/21/21 10:42 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline
top fuel
OrangeProwler  Offline
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Man that sucks about the transmission. With your luck on transmissions I don't if going to the dark side would be any better. I do agree that maybe a medium duty truck would be a better bet.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2945855
07/21/21 10:54 PM
07/21/21 10:54 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
I've watched your adventures in transmission destruction for years, and have always wondered why you didn't move up to a Medium Duty with an Allison. I wouldn't buy a 2010 or later diesel on a bet, but last I knew (and it has been a few years) you could buy a new Low-Pro Navistar or Freightliner as a glider and have the dealer install a reman driveline. A 5.9 or 8.3 mechanical Cummins or DT 466 with an Allison behind it should be pretty bulletproof for 500-750k miles, and with a Texas-hauler bed and 19.5 rubber, you wouldn't be much different than an F550...

Glider kits are gone now thanks to the EPA
https://www.overdriveonline.com/equ...ons-regulations-squash-glider-kit-market

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: OrangeProwler] #2945857
07/21/21 11:01 PM
07/21/21 11:01 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by RustyMopar01
Man that sucks about the transmission. With your luck on transmissions I don't if going to the dark side would be any better. I do agree that maybe a medium duty truck would be a better bet.

Several of us ran FL series about 20 years ago. Medium duties are a different world. If you don't like your local dealer service, you'll hate big truck service departments, at least back then. Half assed and half done seemed to be the order or the day. One of us had a Fuller Spicer FS6406 puke at around 40,000 miles. What I DID like, you can hammer on these things all day long without worrying about breaking stuff. They make one ton components look like light weight toys.

Even the highly vaunted NVG 5600 isn't immune from failures.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/nv5600-to-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.41978/

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: 3hundred] #2945859
07/21/21 11:19 PM
07/21/21 11:19 PM
Rhinodart Offline OP
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline OP
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by 3hundred
Originally Posted by RustyMopar01

Several of us ran FL series about 20 years ago. Medium duties are a different world. If you don't like your local dealer service, you'll hate big truck service departments, at least back then. Half assed and half done seemed to be the order or the day. One of us had a Fuller Spicer FS6406 puke at around 40,000 miles. What I DID like, you can hammer on these things all day long without worrying about breaking stuff. They make one ton components look like light weight toys.

Even the highly vaunted NVG 5600 isn't immune from failures.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/threads/nv5600-to-fso6406a-6-speed-fuller.41978/

That is the only trans I haven't had the pleasure of destroying yet, the NV5600 but might give that a try. I had a CDL for a few years and worked at International as a truck porter, I can even kill Road Rangers...LOL! I am looking at a local International toter with the 444E (7.3 diesel in the Ferds) but haven't found out what trans is in it yet. I am also thinking about retiring... no

Last edited by Rhinodart; 07/21/21 11:37 PM.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945865
07/21/21 11:36 PM
07/21/21 11:36 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
You did pretty good with getting 280,000 out of the old one. Obviously the reman replacement was defective and not from abuse IMO.

Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Rhinodart] #2945866
07/21/21 11:38 PM
07/21/21 11:38 PM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
How much weight are you pulling? This seems really weird. If you are running a stock gasser it must not be that much.

I want my fair share
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: SomeCarGuy] #2945891
07/22/21 02:58 AM
07/22/21 02:58 AM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
My 1994 Ram 2500hd Cummin engine auto and 354 years ran well till right u see a 100k.
The converter went. I talked just my car on open trailer. But talked palettes of stone or ceramic some bags motor just to get started wet saw and tools all the time. Once I was in the I-10 or 55 north it was like I never had anything back there.
A friend built the trans with all good parts as tgey take same stuff just about as a 727.
It was flawless and was way better after the build than new.
Almost 30mpg hwy.
But was stolen and totaled.
The Low HP high Toqure was getting me nowhere fast. But I would not have changed a thing.
On the trans out of warranty have you ever tried a built one from someone like CRT?

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: Truck ate another transmission... [Re: Guitar Jones] #2945905
07/22/21 05:54 AM
07/22/21 05:54 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
G, I know exactly where that picture was taken,, less than 10 miles from me.

Angry white pureblood male
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3