07/07/21 11:25 AM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by resqguy
My only pet peeve with Show or Display cars is the battery cables. I know it sounds petty. What gets me is someone that spends $30K on body work, $20K on an engine and keeps the hacked off battery terminal repair from 1982. I get frustrated because a failure from this will strand you on the side of the road.

i hate those cable ends as well !
i have repaired so many electrical issues over the years caused by those things, i don't have hair on the top of my head now. flame laugh2
beer

Re: My first car show critic [Re: steve70] #2940812
07/07/21 12:49 PM
07/07/21 12:49 PM
The Garden State
LimelightCuda Offline
enthusiast
LimelightCuda  Offline
enthusiast

The Garden State
Originally Posted by steve70
Remember, the biggest critics own the worst cars or none at all

Just the other day I was at Auto Zone and the guy behind the counter (my friend-a co-worker from my regular job who works part time there) asks me the make model year,etc and I say 1970 'Cuda 440 engine code U because although it isn't original this is what I need parts for. This guy at the next counter over hears me saying that and he interrupts my conversation to say in an exasperated voice, "Please tell me that is all original matching numbers?" I said, "No, it is a tribute car" He then walks out shaking his head as if I just destroyed the car hobby by putting a 440 in an original 318 Barracuda. By the way the reason I quoted the above statement is because he walks out to his Chevy which nothing against Chevy but was real ratty truck and he begins to install his alternator. The truck had been there for 2 days because he was waiting for the alternator to come in. I was going to tell him that I do have a matching numbers Challenger 340 Convertible one of 66 made but I said to myself this jerk isn't worth it. He didn't know the story of the car. Sure I wish it was an original 'Cuda but this is the way I bought it and not everyone can afford an original U code 'Cuda. I certainly wasn't going to take out the 440 and install the 318. So I can't enjoy the hobby with a tribute car? My car is a lot of fun and due to it not being original I can drive it places where I wouldn't drive a rare original restored 'Cuda.

#2) There is a local club in my area called The Slant Six club and even though I no longer own a /6 I have been a member for many years. At one of the very first events I attended this guy told me that Chrysler made a 383 in the '60s with a distributor in the rear. Now Mopar has done so many things over the years I am no expert on this stuff but I was sure that this statement was incorrect. I told him so politely but he insisted he was right. After a while it got pretty loud because I wasn't backing down. Eventually the guy got pissed off and walked away and I never saw him again. The shame of it was he wasn't a bad guy. He probably just got some bad information but would just not admit he was wrong. In all the years in my club this is the only incident I ever had. That is a pretty good record!

One more: This guy I used to work with at my job is a big Mopar guy. He knew I was a Mopar guy because sometimes I wear a Mopar hat. So one day as I was walking by him he blurts out at me "I have a set of 340 valve covers". I was like, "Huh?" Instead of just introducing himself or saying Hi this is what he did. The he was constantly telling me about all the cars he had every time he saw me. So after hearing these stories over and over again I said to him, "Can I come over some day to see your cars?" He says and I quote, "Hell NO!" really loud but not to my face. He looked away. I was shocked. I definitely didn't expect that. It was like he thought I was going to case his house and come back to rob him.The friendship ended right there. I never talked to him again. By contrast I met another guy at my job who is a big Mopar guy with 7 Mopars and with him I didn't even have to ask. After a while he invited me over to see his cars. I just went there 2 weeks ago and guess what? I didn't steal anything!

My point is when someone blurts something out in the middle of a conversation be very wary of that person. They just might have a few screws loose.

Last edited by LimelightCuda; 07/07/21 12:51 PM.

Phil

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe
1970 A66 Challenger Convertible
Re: My first car show critic [Re: moparx] #2940816
07/07/21 12:52 PM
07/07/21 12:52 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Not being there is hard to give opinion but sounds like he was trying to make a harmless joke and may have come off wrong.

iagree I'm what you would call "socially awkward" and normally very quiet. This sounds like something I would say to someone when I was trying to break the ice and make a joke. It's hard to know for sure since I'm just reading words on a computer screen and can't see the persons body language or hear the inflection in their voice.

Re: My first car show critic [Re: Kern Dog] #2940960
07/07/21 08:47 PM
07/07/21 08:47 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Being rude to the idiots is a great sport.

I think it was Winston Churchill who gave us the pearl of "Tact is the ability to be able to tell someone to 'Go to Hell' and have them enjoy the trip."

To me, that IS a Sport. Insulting somebody using language that goes so far above them that they don't even know they've been called a moron in a public setting. grin

BUT, on the flip side.... if somebody does approach me with the right attitude and general curiosity.... I'm more than glad to educate them on whatever it is they'd like to learn.

That's actually how I made a really good, but recently departed friend at a car show. Larry had a black.... '74 or '75 Z/28 Camaro. (I know they didn't make a Z/28 one of those years, but whichever year they DID, that was his car.) His car came from a LOCAL dealer, was an ordered car, he was 2nd owner. Dig this: It was a COLUMN SHIFT automatic Z/28.

I showed interest in his car and that it seemed unusual and he was more than happy to educate me that the console/floor shift actually could be deleted from the Z/28 package as a credit option. The next year, we bumped into each other at the insurance place bringing our toys out for the new year. Then, he recognized me as I was Produce Manager at a local grocery store. From then on, we actually became pretty good friends as it turns out, we kind of ran in the same circles despite a 20+ year age difference. It was unfortunate that he passed only a few months after retiring. He was so looking forward to actually having the time now to enjoy life.

Funny how a decade-long friendship could be spurred from simply asking "How could a Z/28 come with a column shift?" up

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: My first car show critic [Re: burdar] #2940965
07/07/21 09:01 PM
07/07/21 09:01 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by burdar
Not being there is hard to give opinion but sounds like he was trying to make a harmless joke and may have come off wrong.

iagree I'm what you would call "socially awkward" and normally very quiet. This sounds like something I would say to someone when I was trying to break the ice and make a joke. It's hard to know for sure since I'm just reading words on a computer screen and can't see the persons body language or hear the inflection in their voice.

iagreeTrue there are jerks at car shows (just like everywhere else). But for every jerk there is another guy who is way too emotional/sensitive about his ride. Bad combination.

Either way, forget about it. It's a car. Life's too short.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: My first car show critic [Re: Kippy] #2941031
07/08/21 12:30 AM
07/08/21 12:30 AM
Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
340wedge Offline
master
340wedge  Offline
master

Myrtle Beach, SC formerly the ...
I have only had one person say something dumb and he was a writer at the time for a well known Mopar Magazine. He was telling me my hood pins were in the wrong place. They are in fact in the factory location and has all the correct pieces. Some ask what engine is in it as the "340" on the quarters and the huge 340 wedge hood is not enough information lol. Don't take it personally and I have a standard answer should I ever encounter this. "Oh this is my piece of crap car I drive to the cruises, at home is my Z06 Corvette, My Viper, 428 Cobrajet Mach1 and the pain in the ass boat I have to move to get them out of the garage!." None of it's true but hell they don't know that!

1971 Sassy Grass Green Duster 340
2006 Charger Daytona GoMango
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3