Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: 5thAve] #2937345
06/27/21 02:59 PM
06/27/21 02:59 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 795
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 795
Central Michigan
I've had some buyers come to my house or my pole barn for large items, or met off-site. The local PD encourages people to use their well-lit, camera-equipped parking lot for transactions. If a seller gives me a location, I always check it out online. Never had anyone want to meet at a location that seemed suspicious.

Facebook at least gives you the ability to check out someone by checking their profile. I've found things I wanted at a good price, but not even contacted them because their profile screams SCAM (brand new account, no friends, no info, no location, etc).

Had one guy ask what I had in my pole barn. I went into a long explanation of the alarm system that sprays pepper spray as soon as the alarm is activated... He was there with his dad who was laughing his a$$ off and told him that if the place was ever broken into he could expect a visit from the sheriff...

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2937362
06/27/21 04:04 PM
06/27/21 04:04 PM
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,499
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 11,499
W. Kentucky
I've been looking for a 85 or so swb truck and a guy on FB had one with supposedly low miles. The photos looked pretty good and the price was inline for what the truck was represented as. I made the hour and a half drive with my trailer to his business to check it out. It was a perfumed pig that was supposed to only have 30k miles, I found a oil change sticker that showed more miles than the odometer. When I pointed it out he started getting huffy and in a round about way said I was calling him a liar. I politely declined and we walked to my truck, as we talked I got in and buckled up and started the truck. Then he then says I have a gun, I told him that I too had one and in fact my hand was already on it. He was fumbling around for his words and finally said I don't shoot it much though, my reply was that I shoot mine a lot. He had a strange look on his face for a few seconds then took a drag off his cigarette and thanked me for coming to look, then walked off and I made my way home.

I don't know if he was lying about the gun but I wasn't.

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: justinp61] #2937369
06/27/21 04:26 PM
06/27/21 04:26 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,352
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,352
Ontario, Canada
I'm in Canada - the risk of being robbed and killed is somewhat less than in the U.S.

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: Stanton] #2937373
06/27/21 04:31 PM
06/27/21 04:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 795
Central Michigan
N
nuthinbutmopar Offline
super stock
nuthinbutmopar  Offline
super stock
N

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 795
Central Michigan
Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm in Canada - the risk of being robbed and killed is somewhat less than in the U.S.


Probably similar to 95% of the US, and most of us are smart enough not to go into the other 5%...

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2937535
06/28/21 03:45 AM
06/28/21 03:45 AM
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,259
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,259
Connecticut
I don’t sell any parts on those sites mentioned. Yeah, I’m an old eBay seller (22 plus years) & still prefer that method. Though, I’m not a fan of eBay managed payments or the fees. I’ll give up on eBay in a few years & hopefully everything will be sold off by then.


China is the enemy.
Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: 1972CudaV21] #2937570
06/28/21 08:31 AM
06/28/21 08:31 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,262
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 42,262
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
There is no term, it is either yes or no. Farcebook marketplace gives the term "is it still available" in each ad, so many people are just too lazy to communicate and just hit the box...


The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: Stanton] #2937645
06/28/21 12:01 PM
06/28/21 12:01 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,901
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 11,901
Kalispell Mt.
Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm in Canada - the risk of being robbed and killed is somewhat less than in the U.S.


I hate the auto responses but do try to be civil, I just answer "yes, any questions about the ______ I can answer for you?"

I always check the profile before inviting them over, no friends, new account or a bunch of "drugs are awesome!!!" type posts we meet at a parking lot, preferably near the police station. If they been on there for years with family pics, good amount of friends (butt not too many as that can also be a red flag) then we can probably meet at the house or my work as that is actually much more convenient. My house is secluded and my wife and 9 kids are there by their selves a lot so I don't need a bunch of strangers knowing where it is. Telling people to meet me at work seems to put them at much more ease than anything else honestly butt I know a lot of people can't have random guests at their place of work so I tend to be flexible and look at each case individually.


I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!



Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: larrymopar360] #2937837
06/28/21 08:45 PM
06/28/21 08:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
Originally Posted by RWG75
I generally respond by hitting the delete button. Especially if I added "if the listing is up, it's available" to the post.
This


I have the problem that no matter how I respond I get no response. I saw a router for sale and said hey I want it, where and how can I get with you to pick it up? Told him where I was and gave him my number. Nothing.. Nada .... Crickets....
The guy continued to list it for a few more days and apparently sold it to somebody else.

What do you have to say to get a response. shruggy

It's so bad I don't even bother trying to buy stuff online anymore.

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: nuthinbutmopar] #2937838
06/28/21 08:48 PM
06/28/21 08:48 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by nuthinbutmopar
Originally Posted by Stanton
I'm in Canada - the risk of being robbed and killed is somewhat less than in the U.S.


Probably similar to 95% of the US, and most of us are smart enough not to go into the other 5%...


and we don't get eaten by bears whistling...

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: IMGTX] #2937839
06/28/21 08:56 PM
06/28/21 08:56 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,352
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,352
Ontario, Canada

[/quote]

and we don't get eaten by bears whistling...
[/quote]


Now THERE is a real display of ignorance !!

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: Stanton] #2937842
06/28/21 09:01 PM
06/28/21 09:01 PM
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 11,642
Looking for a way out of Middl...
Originally Posted by Stanton



and we don't get eaten by bears whistling...
[/quote]


Now THERE is a real display of ignorance !!
[/quote]

You have no sense of humor. But then again you are ... Oh never mind... have a good day. up

Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: IMGTX] #2937851
06/28/21 09:56 PM
06/28/21 09:56 PM
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 25,048
Texas
GoodysGotaCuda Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd
GoodysGotaCuda  Offline
5.7L Hemi, 6spd

Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 25,048
Texas
It's easier to just reply "yes" than it is to get flustered or annoyed about it and move on.

Best case, person buys it.
Worst case, they never follow-up or don't buy it, so what?


Plenty of people leave ads up for weeks after a sale. If the item/car/truck/boat has been posted for over a week, I'm going to ask if you still have it.


1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi, T56 Magnum 6spd - https://www.facebook.com/GoodysGotaHemi
2020 RAM 1500
[img]https://i.imgur.com/v9yezP9.jpg[/img]
Re: What's a Good Response to 'Is the item still available'? [Re: Powerflow] #2937925
06/29/21 09:17 AM
06/29/21 09:17 AM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,976
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,976
Salem
I always put "will not respond to generic statements like "is this item still available"" in the last line of my ad.

I've found the people who don't take the time or thought to compose a polite, proper sentence will not buy your item anyway.


Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Page 2 of 2 1 2






Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1