06/18/21 08:20 PM
06/18/21 08:20 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
So, I have a 96 Dakota 4x4 chassis under my 49 Dodge pickup.
Its time for new tires. The size is 235 R 75 X 15" I don't have room for anything bigger, nor do I have room for larger diameter wheels.
the truck will be driver all year, including in the salt and snow, it is a 4x4, but will never see intentional off road use.
I suspect the truck will see around 5,000 - 6,000 miles a year, split slightly more towards the winter use. I want a more aggressive thread pattern then most all season radials offer, but at the same time I don't want to listen to the tires howl on the highway when the roads are dry.

I've had bad experiences with BF Goodrich, I won't be buying any of those.

Our local farm store is having a tire sale. I got a price tonight on a set of (4) 235/75/15 TRL.RUN AT BLK (I think they are Goodyear tires). 55K mile wear out, they are suppose to have a 9 (out of 10) for dry road performance, a 9 for wet road traction, an 8 for heavy snow traction, and an 8 for tire wear. Mounting, balancing, road hazard protection, and the used tire & tire disposal fees, with taxes comes in at $471.12.

What do you guys think? Is there a better tire I should be looking at? Let me have it!
Pictures or it didn't happen. I'll be using the set of 4 wheels like on the front. Gene

100_0676.JPG100_0675.JPG
Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2934739
06/19/21 12:05 AM
06/19/21 12:05 AM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
Go buy them today, as long as :
a. They're made anywhere other than China.
and
b. If they're rated to withstand the max weight you intend to haul. twocents

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: Fat_Mike] #2934794
06/19/21 10:33 AM
06/19/21 10:33 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
TRL.RUN AT BLK sounds more like a store code then a tire model.

But if you are talking about using LT truck tires instead of passenger type tires we run LTs on our 4x4 Yukon. They're rougher ride then normal tires but they're great in snow and ice. They're probably a bit noisier then normal tires but not an annoying howl or anything majorly different then usual.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: 5thAve] #2934822
06/19/21 12:03 PM
06/19/21 12:03 PM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
I've had bad experiences with BF Goodrich

What kind of problems? Any of the well known manufactures have tires to fit you needs. You may need to pay attention to the compound used: hi mileage or grip. Seems like grip is what you need over mileage if using in winter.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: 5thAve] #2935121
06/20/21 08:09 PM
06/20/21 08:09 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by 5thAve
TRL.RUN AT BLK sounds more like a store code then a tire model.

But if you are talking about using LT truck tires instead of passenger type tires we run LTs on our 4x4 Yukon. They're rougher ride then normal tires but they're great in snow and ice. They're probably a bit noisier then normal tires but not an annoying howl or anything majorly different then usual.

Trail Run All Terrain, I think they are made by Good Year. I think the BLK means black wall tires, but the info clearly says they are raised white letters. On this truck I think I may have the black walls mounted outwards anyway. The tires will need to be ordered, no idea where they are made. I will have to pay for them in order to get then here, so whatever they are, they will be mine. About the only way I can get out of buying them is if the production date code is more then a year old.
The truck has very aggressive tires on it now, and the short highway trip I took over the weekend (132 miles) I couldn't hear the tires at all.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: Moparite] #2935122
06/20/21 08:13 PM
06/20/21 08:13 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Moparite
I've had bad experiences with BF Goodrich

What kind of problems? Any of the well known manufactures have tires to fit you needs. You may need to pay attention to the compound used: hi mileage or grip. Seems like grip is what you need over mileage if using in winter.

The issues i had with BF Goodrich was from years ago (different sets of tires on a few different trucks). I quit using them way back then. Since BE Goodrich company no longer exists, the new tires are made elsewhere, and from what I hear, the quality is worse then it was back when I was having problems with them.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2935192
06/21/21 07:01 AM
06/21/21 07:01 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Unless you plan on plenty of hauling, you won't need LT tires. A standard load or extra load passenger tire should be fine. That opens lots of options.

I too avoid BFG truck tires, lots of out of round problems. Car tires seem ok.

I prefer Coopers and their private label tires, many depending on region.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: ruderunner] #2935409
06/21/21 08:04 PM
06/21/21 08:04 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
The problem now is Goodyear also owns Cooper, and about 10 of the less expensive tire brands. Tire choices are going to be very limited in the future.

I'm going with the light truck tires because I may do some towing with this truck, and I also wanted a more aggressive thread pattern then you can get with car tires unless you go specifically with winter tires, and those don't hold up through the summer months very well at all.

I just bought the Goodyear tires, I'm hoping they work out OK. It will be next week before I can get them mounted. Gene

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2935507
06/22/21 02:06 AM
06/22/21 02:06 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
[quote=poorboy] $471.12.

What do you guys think? /quote]

It's June. You can pick up used winter tires from craigslist for $100 or less with 80% tread on them. If you shop long enough you can even get them mounted on Dakota wheels for that price.

That's what I do anyway. Winter tires are even dirt cheap in the winter time!

I would not waste a penny on brand new winter tires.........ever.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2935605
06/22/21 12:08 PM
06/22/21 12:08 PM
N.W. Florida
F
Fat_Mike Offline
master
Fat_Mike  Offline
master
F

N.W. Florida
My initial thought was to tell you how much I like my Hankook Dynapro AT-M's, but when I got to "55K mile wear out, they are suppose to have a 9 (out of 10) for dry road performance, a 9 for wet road traction, an 8 for heavy snow traction, and an 8 for tire wear" in your post, well...I don't think you can do any better for all around tire performance.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: Grizzly] #2935784
06/22/21 07:46 PM
06/22/21 07:46 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Grizzly
[quote=poorboy] $471.12.

What do you guys think? /quote]

It's June. You can pick up used winter tires from craigslist for $100 or less with 80% tread on them. If you shop long enough you can even get them mounted on Dakota wheels for that price.

That's what I do anyway. Winter tires are even dirt cheap in the winter time!

I would not waste a penny on brand new winter tires.........ever.

You must have had better experiences with used tires then I ever did. I was lucky to get a year's use out of most of the used tires I ever bought. I grew tired of tire shopping every year. Add in the cost of mounting and balancing the tires and the cheap price disappears quickly. I have my own tire changing machine, but it doesn't work well with the aluminum wheels, and its getting old and doesn't work as well as it did 20 years ago, (neither do I).

I'm buying the new tires and then I won't have to be concerned about them for the next 5 years. Gene

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: Fat_Mike] #2935787
06/22/21 07:53 PM
06/22/21 07:53 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by Fat_Mike
My initial thought was to tell you how much I like my Hankook Dynapro AT-M's, but when I got to "55K mile wear out, they are suppose to have a 9 (out of 10) for dry road performance, a 9 for wet road traction, an 8 for heavy snow traction, and an 8 for tire wear" in your post, well...I don't think you can do any better for all around tire performance.

That was what I thought when I read all that stuff about these tires, I even read all 88 responses for the tire ratings. Most of the 1-3 stars were people that seemed to expect a lot from a set of tires. (I did kind of got a chuckle out of the guy that was complaining how fast the tires wore out, even after he admitted to doing a few burnouts with them.) I guess now I will see how much of the hype is actually true.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2935875
06/23/21 02:09 AM
06/23/21 02:09 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted by poorboy

You must have had better experiences with used tires then I ever did. I was lucky to get a year's use out of most of the used tires I ever bought. I grew tired of tire shopping every year. Add in the cost of mounting and balancing the tires and the cheap price disappears quickly. I have my own tire changing machine, but it doesn't work well with the aluminum wheels, and its getting old and doesn't work as well as it did 20 years ago, (neither do I).

I'm buying the new tires and then I won't have to be concerned about them for the next 5 years. Gene

Not luck.............I just had a real smart Dad who taught me what was workable and what isn't. I know what to look for in a tire. wink

The only tire issue in the last 20 years I ever had was with new tires (bridgestones-no wonder rolleyes but they came on a new truck I bought, and goodyears. Yes, goodyear: the holy tire that charges Michelin price for a Walmart quality tire). twocents

But, do what you like Gene, it's all good. up

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: Grizzly] #2936153
06/23/21 07:49 PM
06/23/21 07:49 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Grizzly, I worked at a gas station for 7 years mounting and balancing tires from the ripe old age of 15, I too know a thing or two about tires. When I was younger I bought a lot of used tires, and had pretty good luck with them, I even bought a time machine so I could mount my own tires. Somewhere around 10 years ago, the used tires that could be found around here usually had a lot of issues. Then add to the fact most used tires here sold in the $50 each range, before mounting and balancing, used tires didn't make much sense. That was when I started buying new tires.

I've run a small business for the last 28 years, and I've dealt with the public enough that I don't feel a need to deal with the people on Craig's list that are selling used tires.
I'm not a big fan of goodyear tires, but in todays world, its pretty hard to buy tires that goodyear doesn't have control over. The 4 new goodyear tires I bought cost me $74 each, the mounting, balancing, tire disposal and other fees are what made up the difference. Used tires at our local junk yard are $50 each, and they don't mount or balance them at the junk yard. I get to take them elsewhere for the mounting, balancing, and the used tire disposal fees, so you have a couple hours invested. I'm going to drive the truck in, and the tire shop will do its thing. Warranty, road hazard, no junk tires to get rid of, and I won't get my hands dirty at all.
I'
''m getting old, my time is worth more then the $24 for each tire. Gene

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2936516
06/24/21 07:26 PM
06/24/21 07:26 PM
ILLINOIS
V
volaredon Online content
top fuel
volaredon  Online Content
top fuel
V

ILLINOIS
goodyears are aptly named... you get about 1 good year from them. I have not had good service from them. For the last 8-10 years I have been buying alot of Coopers. I drive ALOT. but now that goodyear owns them I dunno what to do.

What pisses me off is you pay for 5 (or more) tires and barely get 4, with all the trumped up BS fees they charge now a days..... and teh clowns that assume automatically that I want road hazard and try and sneak it in on the bill and hope I won't notice.... then stammer and boo-hoo when I tell them to TAKE IT OFF.
also all the no names that have popped up in recent years. I won't buy a tire I have never heard of nor one that comes from China.

I just bought 4 new US wheels and 4 new Cooper Cobras for my 78 Fury 2 door HT.
The tires themselves were $500. Mounted balanced and out the door was $630. Absolutely over the top, insane ridiculous. $130 over the actual price of the tires highway robbery.
AND THEN they had over 12 oz of weight on each of 3 of them. one was 14 oz. and they didn't say "Whoa.... something's wrong".... they were happy to charge me though. One of my new wheels had a big blister in the chrome on the backside, right out of the box.... and they peeled and stuck 8+ oz of stick on weights right over this blister/ and another 6 oz pounded on the inside lip. They should have stopped and "not" mounted a tire on that wheel at all. until they showed me what was up/ but no, they proceeded to peel-and-stick away. that blister became a huge chrome peel when I pulled their weights off.
Most don't take a step back and watch just how a rim spins after they push the button. just pound the weight on and slap it onto the car. "Who cares"? I DO!!! as the car owner, and paying customer. but that doesn't mean $#!t any more. Fees are highest ever and this is teh service I get? BS! Its time to get my own tire machine. I have plenty big of a compressor here at home already, to run one. 5 hp 80 gallon 2 stage.
I guess you can balance by removal, just like you can balance by addition. In the end, the company I ordered my wheels from made good on it and sent me another new wheel for the peeled one.
I have tire mount and balance equip at work. but I work for the state, as a mechanic. We aren't supposed to bring in any of our own "government" work from home. that's why I "HAD" it done by supposed "professionals". who claimed my new wheels were badly "out of round".
I did take my new wheels and tires in, and redid them myself. Work I PAID SOMEONE ELSE to do already and fully expected it to have been done right.
BUT somehow I was able to get them to all balance out AND spin true, with 3 oz on the worst-out-of-balance wheel. the other 3 balanced fine with less weight than that. Why do I always have to go back and redo work that I PAY others to do for me????
another thing I am sick n tired of having to do.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: volaredon] #2936523
06/24/21 07:51 PM
06/24/21 07:51 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
volaredon, Been there, done that.
Like you, I'm expecting the "professionals" to do a good job, but I may have a slight advantage over the normal customer. I know the guys that will be mounting my tires, and I know the guy that sold me my tires. We still do business in the small town way here, and the fact that all these people have been in my shop and I've done work for them adds in a slight advantage for me. I'll also be outside of the door watching them while they are mounting my tires. You won't see me sitting in the waiting room.

I'm not a big fan of Goodyear tires, but when you are buying tires to fit on 15" diameter wheels, your tire company choices are pretty small. I bought the road hazard because I think I stand a better chance of getting more use out of the tires. The place I buy my tires from runs a buy 4 tires for the price of three tires about once every 3 months. I buy my tires at those sales, then the extra addons don't hurt as much. I got all 4 tires with the road hazard, the mounting, the balancing, old tire disposal, and taxes for an out the door price of $471 and change (235 x 75 x 15 radials).

Time will tell if I got screwed, but it wouldn't be the first time. Gene

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2936862
06/26/21 07:35 AM
06/26/21 07:35 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
Member 44D6PAKCUDA (Jim) is a tire guru and operates a Goodyear shop in MN -- I would completely trust his recommendation on which Goodyear models are good, and which to steer clear of for your use.

Personally, I've had good luck with the Michelin LTX, which may still be available in the size you need, and had good luck with Cooper Discoverers on many of my older trucks, though not in the past 10 years.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2936906
06/26/21 10:50 AM
06/26/21 10:50 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by poorboy
volaredon, Been there, done that.
Like you, I'm expecting the "professionals" to do a good job, but I may have a slight advantage over the normal customer. I know the guys that will be mounting my tires, and I know the guy that sold me my tires. We still do business in the small town way here, and the fact that all these people have been in my shop and I've done work for them adds in a slight advantage for me. I'll also be outside of the door watching them while they are mounting my tires. You won't see me sitting in the waiting room.

I'm not a big fan of Goodyear tires, but when you are buying tires to fit on 15" diameter wheels, your tire company choices are pretty small. I bought the road hazard because I think I stand a better chance of getting more use out of the tires. The place I buy my tires from runs a buy 4 tires for the price of three tires about once every 3 months. I buy my tires at those sales, then the extra addons don't hurt as much. I got all 4 tires with the road hazard, the mounting, the balancing, old tire disposal, and taxes for an out the door price of $471 and change (235 x 75 x 15 radials).

Time will tell if I got screwed, but it wouldn't be the first time. Gene

Try getting a 14" tire. Cooper had some quality tires in that size but now that Badyear has bought them who knows.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: 6PakBee] #2936965
06/26/21 12:17 PM
06/26/21 12:17 PM
Central NC
gch Offline
master
gch  Offline
master

Central NC
Sounds like the Goodyear Trailrunner AT. Another good option is the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S if it is available in your area. I have had good luck with those coopers on two jeeps and a Ford Explorer.

Re: Can we talk light truck tires for a minute? [Re: poorboy] #2938874
07/01/21 10:21 PM
07/01/21 10:21 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
I've used Michelin Defender LTX M/S on my trucks for years and liked them.

Good tread life, decent in snow if you have 4wd, & not overly loud...
But I doubt you can get 4 of them for under $500 installed. I currently have the LTX Winter version on my diesel 2500, It's been 2 yrs and still have nearly all of the original tread despite deciding NOT to pull them off during the summer the last 2 yrs. (I'm not sure they make the same winter tire anymore, but the Defender LTX M/S still exists)

Page 1 of 2 1 2