06/18/21 02:03 PM
06/18/21 02:03 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my current insurance carrier on my charger is American Collectors.
i recently received a notice American Collectors have partnered with American Family Home Insurance Company, and with the usual mumbojumbo legalese contained in the normal policy renewal statements, i just get an uneasy feeling about the whole deal.
as of now, my car is insured for 31k. it's not restored, but kind of a day 2+, and i'm in the process of a few more modifications, such as cooling system mods, frame connectors, and a different engine/transmission combination.
this car is an original 383 car, and i bought it crashed hard in the rear way back in 1970 when i worked at a body shop that specialized in rebuilding totals.
i will never restore this thing, and realistically, the only thing it has going for it is the original mileage is only 18,980 something. however, those miles were VERY hard miles to say the least.
so the question comes down to this : Haggerty, Grundy, or ????, and NOT State Farm.
if and when i get this thing back on the road, i'm hoping to do some airport drag events if possible, and i know stuff like that isn't covered, but i need a carrier that won't bounce me if any of my mods meet the safety requirements of such events.
TIA to all of you out there smarter than me ! bow
beer

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: moparx] #2934596
06/18/21 02:44 PM
06/18/21 02:44 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad

Call, get quotes, and ask specifics about coverage for modified vehicles. You're going to get a variety of answers here, and a good portion of them will be at least partly inaccurate. Some will be totally wrong. All will be presented as 100% factual.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: not_a_charger] #2934610
06/18/21 04:02 PM
06/18/21 04:02 PM
Cleveland Ohio
10secGTX Offline
top fuel
10secGTX  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland Ohio
What do you recommend Not A Charger.... Hagerty or an another insurance company.

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: moparx] #2934618
06/18/21 04:28 PM
06/18/21 04:28 PM
North Carolina
469runner Offline
pro stock
469runner  Offline
pro stock

North Carolina
I've used Grundy for years. Been very happy with their coverage. I did have a claim last year, it was very easy working with them and a 7 thousand dollar payment came promptly to fix the car.

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 469runner] #2934621
06/18/21 04:44 PM
06/18/21 04:44 PM
Avondale AZ
Prodart440 Offline
super stock
Prodart440  Offline
super stock

Avondale AZ
I have used Hagerty since the mid 90's. A couple of claims, including the almost total of my 71 cuda. They were great to work with!

Aaron

68 Roadrunner 383/AT
69 Dart GT Conv. 383/AT
05 Dodge Ram 4x4 Cummins
06 GoManGo R/T Daytona #757
68 Coronet 440
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: moparx] #2934676
06/18/21 08:09 PM
06/18/21 08:09 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
I have had Condon and Skelly as I bought the policy from an Agent that had a stand at the car shows. She was nice but years later sent a letter that said she was retiring but could stay with them as I was sending them the $ anyway.
I called them and said I was not going to renew and sent a letter as well as I went with Grundy. Fast forward to policy end, the Condon-Skelly called and I told them again I was not paying and even faxed a copy of the declaration page. Told them I had already paid Grundy and had the full policy with the declaration page. Then they sent a no insurance letter to my state. I called the state and sent the declaration page as proof as they were giving me 30 days to show proof or lose my license.
All was good until Condon sent a message again months later to my state stating I had no insurance letter again from the state.
I was told that I had to prove to Condon-Skelly so they would stop sending the state stuff I told them I had but did it again and again.
They were doing it out of spite and I later got a letter from some lawyer who was filing a class action suit as they did it too many people. Condon said it was the old Agent who went to work elsewhere and she said it was them but they were no help at all.
I have had Hagerty no problem as well as Grundy. Grundy was cheaper and has them now they are both good.

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 340SIX] #2934691
06/18/21 09:09 PM
06/18/21 09:09 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I was with American family for years on my collector cars. The policies were issued as Agreed value with them doing the appraisals (1994). Recently I became aware that they had changed to "stated" value somewhere along the line. While the premiums were cheap, they would not reinstate the Agreed coverage. Jumped over to Hagerty as I have been involved with doing several estimate's for them and have friends who suffered losses. No questions asked, they just cut the checks. State Farm ? Run like h-ll
So in my experiences, Hagerty twocents beer

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: TJP] #2934710
06/18/21 10:24 PM
06/18/21 10:24 PM
Florida
BDW Online content
master
BDW  Online Content
master

Florida
I've had American Collectors for years, agreed value.
Always check around every couple years to price shop, Haggerty's always comes out higher.
I've never had a claim, so hopefully no issues if that time comes.
Why the uneasy feeling, they've relaxed the driving to allow more driving, from what I read, seems better.

Last edited by BDW; 06/18/21 10:28 PM.
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: not_a_charger] #2934734
06/18/21 11:16 PM
06/18/21 11:16 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Call, get quotes, and ask specifics about coverage for modified vehicles. You're going to get a variety of answers here, and a good portion of them will be at least partly inaccurate. Some will be totally wrong. All will be presented as 100% factual.

I know everything there is to know about collector car insurance. This response is presented as 0% factual. grin

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: Ramrod39] #2934975
06/20/21 08:59 AM
06/20/21 08:59 AM
rust belt
M
Moparite Offline
super stock
Moparite  Offline
super stock
M

rust belt
State Farm ? Run like h-ll

Have to laugh when i see their commercials on TV. They have the saying trademarked "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.®" I have to ask what happen to the people who had them(and others) when Hurricane Sandy hit? They got screwed that's what! They need to ban insurance commercials like they did with Cigarettes!!!

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: Moparite] #2934977
06/20/21 09:16 AM
06/20/21 09:16 AM
Az
69hemibeep Offline
pro stock
69hemibeep  Offline
pro stock

Az
I have Americam collectors agreed on two cars and did have a claim that was handled without a problem. Usually it is your state that dictates what they can sell.

1969 Hemi Roadrunner 2nd owner
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 10secGTX] #2934982
06/20/21 10:01 AM
06/20/21 10:01 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

Originally Posted by 10secGTX
What do you recommend Not A Charger.... Hagerty or an another insurance company.

3 things you're looking for when shopping for insurance: Price, service, and coverage.

The collector companies all offer good service. They have to. It's a very small market. They can't afford to provide bad service. They can't absorb a loss of customers like a large insurer can. With only occasional exceptions (which happen with any business), I've heard about/experienced good service from all of the collector car companies.

Coverage, to me, is the #1 factor to consider when it comes to insuring a collector vehicle. Ensuring you have Agreed Value coverage, and finding out about coverage exclusions such as commuting, modifications to the vehicle, and who can drive it are of the utmost importance. Not every company is the same in this regard. Find one that fits your needs. Call them and ask specific questions, and document date/time/name of person you spoke to. Get it in writing.

Price should only come into play if you are satisfied with the level of service you expect to receive, and you have confirmed that there is applicable coverage for your intended use. If both of those are true, then choose based upon price. But never, ever sacrifice coverage for price, and don't sacrifice service for price, either. I will admit to violating the latter, as I have MetLife. Their claims service is horrible, and I would never recommend them. However, they were so much cheaper than any other quotes I've gotten, I've gone with them. I am able to handle their terrible service because of my insurance claims experience and background. If I didn't have 25+ years of claims experience, I would never have gone with them. Ultimately, the claims we've had with them have been paid properly, but I've had to put in some work to make it happen.

DBAP
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 340SIX] #2934983
06/20/21 10:02 AM
06/20/21 10:02 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by 340SIX
I have had Condon and Skelly as I bought the policy from an Agent that had a stand at the car shows. She was nice but years later sent a letter that said she was retiring but could stay with them as I was sending them the $ anyway.
I called them and said I was not going to renew and sent a letter as well as I went with Grundy. Fast forward to policy end, the Condon-Skelly called and I told them again I was not paying and even faxed a copy of the declaration page. Told them I had already paid Grundy and had the full policy with the declaration page. Then they sent a no insurance letter to my state. I called the state and sent the declaration page as proof as they were giving me 30 days to show proof or lose my license.
All was good until Condon sent a message again months later to my state stating I had no insurance letter again from the state.
I was told that I had to prove to Condon-Skelly so they would stop sending the state stuff I told them I had but did it again and again.
They were doing it out of spite and I later got a letter from some lawyer who was filing a class action suit as they did it too many people. Condon said it was the old Agent who went to work elsewhere and she said it was them but they were no help at all.
I have had Hagerty no problem as well as Grundy. Grundy was cheaper and has them now they are both good.

I am going through a similar mess with American Family on four conventional policies. At the first of this year I decided to switch insurers on two pickups, a car, and a truck. So when the renewal notices came in from AmFam they went in the garbage. Then a couple weeks ago I get a letter from a debt collection service that states an outstanding debt has been turned over to them by AmFam for collection. I sent them a letter telling them AmFam can pack sand, I'm not paying them anything. Two days later I get a call from the collection agency and I tell them the same thing and that I have sent them a letter formally challenging the debt. Unbelievably the next Monday I get a billing statement from AmFam saying I owe them $26 for one of the cancelled policies. Now keep in mind this policy expired the first of April. So I take the letter up to my former agent and ask the receptionist (since the agent is never there) what the hell is going on. She first tries to claim it's because of an unpaid balance. I told her BS, all policies were paid in full at issuance. She says she'll discuss it with the agent. So I get a call from the agent. He tells me I should have told him I was dropping AmFam. Told him I have no obligation to do so. He then said if I'd send him the insurance particulars on our current coverage, he'd see what he could do. Told him I have no obligation to do that either. Told him when AmFam did not receive the renewal checks by the due date, the policies expired then and there. He tells me no, ND state law requires insurance companies to extend coverage past the due date to prevent uninsured motorists from driving. But he will see what he can do. So I go to the ND Insurance Commissioner's website and it plainly states that if an insurer does not receive a renewal payment by the renewal due date, the policy terminates on that date. He lied to me. So I call him up and read him the passage from the website. He seems surprised and asks me to email the link to him which I did.

I am now composing a letter to him telling him that if this nonsense doesn't stop, I'm filing a formal complaint with the ND Insurance Commissioner. One thing good about ND, that department doesn't stand for any crap from the companies. We'll see how this turns out.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 6PakBee] #2934986
06/20/21 10:08 AM
06/20/21 10:08 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

Both of you are experiencing terrible service, but in both cases, the issue is the agent, not the actual insurance company. A Department of Insurance complaint is a great avenue to get this resolved, because the insurance company has to respond. Huge fines if they don't. The insurer will find out when they receive the complaint, and they will contact the agent. Then, the insurance company will fix the billing error and stop charging you. Then, they'll do nothing to the crappy agent unless said agent has a long history of crappy service and complaints, AND doesn't have a huge book of business with them.

And yes, the policy terminates at midnight on the date of expiration. There's no automatic extension of coverage for people who don't pay their renewal.

DBAP
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: not_a_charger] #2948137
07/28/21 12:35 PM
07/28/21 12:35 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Update:

Got a formal reply from American Family the evening of the deadline, July 12th. What American Family claimed was that they had given us a discount on the auto policies due to coverage we had on our residence. When we dropped the homeowners policy we lost the discounts and they were simply invalidating those discounts. WTH? But being the great company they are they would waive all these charges. I then got a followup letter that stated they were going to give me four refunds! I told them in no uncertain terms they do not own me anything, I do not owe them anything, I just want the charges dropped and all collection activities dismissed. I got a reply confirming that they had waived the charges and had ceased collection activities. They also said that the refunds were Covid refunds and they were sending them out.

So, at this point I have four checks in hand totaling about $25 and this whole nightmare appears to be over. I hope. luck

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: 6PakBee] #2948156
07/28/21 01:45 PM
07/28/21 01:45 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline OP
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i'm still on the fence about whether to renew with american family, or jump to hagerty, grundy, or ?????
i have talked to each, and i have until august 22nd to make up my mind.
beer

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: moparx] #2948328
07/28/21 09:38 PM
07/28/21 09:38 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by moparx
i'm still on the fence about whether to renew with american family, or jump to hagerty, grundy, or ?????
i have talked to each, and i have until august 22nd to make up my mind.
beer

My son had American Family collector car insurance covering his 57 Dodge wagon, when it got caught in a flash flood at a local exhaust repair shop. The car was nearly completely submerged, only about 2" of the roof was above the water line. The car was covered under the exhaust shops insurance, but the shop's insurance advised that we would probably get paid faster going through American Family, then they would get reimburse from the shop's company.

He filed a claim under his classic car insurance (the car had an agreed value of $10,000 and the policy was in effect for over 3 years and was still active). We got no response from American Family, even filing through his agent, for two months. Then they wanted to debate the value of the car with an agreed value of $10,000. What was there to debate? Then they wanted to debate if the car was totaled or not. In IL, flood cars are considered totaled when the repair costs exceed 40% of the value, the car had a modern Hemi drive train in it, and all new wiring, and all new interior (documented with photos) prior to the flood. The cost of the replacement wiring harness and computer for the motor, the wiring harness for the car, and the interior exceeded the 40% of the car's agreed value. Then they wanted numbers top prove that. He called (at my urging) the Il Insurance Commissioner, and very quickly they offered a cash value with the reduction for him to keep the car. Then a week later they called and told him they couldn't sell the car back to him. He had to call the insurance commissioner on that as well. The insurance commissioner wanted my son to file a complaint against American Family, but he declined because his house and other cars were also covered by them. In the end he did get his money, and he was able to keep the car (its been rebuilt), but he had to call the insurance commissioner 2x before that happened. Then to top it all off, American Family got their money refunded by the shop's insurance.

i think the entire saving grace for the whole deal was the car was towed to my place, and we started cleaning it up as soon as we got it out of the water. Had it not been on my property and the clean up started, American Family's delay would have destroyed a rock solid CA 57 Dodge wagon body.

My son still deals with American Family because he likes his agent. I however will never have them cover anything I own again after that deal.

Maybe your outcome would be better, but I'm not going to take that chance. My specialty cars are covered by Haggerty. Gene

Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: poorboy] #2948397
07/29/21 06:49 AM
07/29/21 06:49 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

The insurance commissioner wanted my son to file a complaint against American Family, but he declined because his house and other cars were also covered by them.

That was a terrible reason for him to not file a complaint with the Department of Insurance. DOI complaints are serious business. Insurers don't retaliate because they will get slammed by the DOI if they do.

DBAP
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: Moparite] #2948407
07/29/21 08:20 AM
07/29/21 08:20 AM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by Moparite
State Farm ? Run like h-ll

Have to laugh when i see their commercials on TV. They have the saying trademarked "Like a good neighbor, State Farm is there.®" I have to ask what happen to the people who had them(and others) when Hurricane Sandy hit? They got screwed that's what! They need to ban insurance commercials like they did with Cigarettes!!!

Always get a laugh when people post stupid stuff like this. I worked Sandy, the people that didn't cheap out on coverage got paid. Yeah I'll live by the water but not carry flood insurance. Ha,ha, ok.

One guy well my roof got blown off and the rain filled my house up to the 1st floor ceiling. Ha,ha,ha sure. Your house flooded due to tidal surge which isn't covered.

Ok
Re: time to change insurance for my charger [Re: cudatom] #2948410
07/29/21 08:33 AM
07/29/21 08:33 AM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
I was very happy on the price and service.

Kelly Knight​ ·
Licensed Agent
kknight@heacockclassic.com

​Motorsports Division
Office: 856-780-3136

Fax: 863-686-1426

PO Box 2380, Cherry Hill,
NJ 08034

www.heacockclassic.com