06/09/21 08:30 AM
06/09/21 08:30 AM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
http://southgatearc.org/news/2021/june/aluminium-ion-battery-development.htm#.YMCtgS1q2hA

sample quote

The battery was created by inserting aluminium atoms into perforations made in graphene planes.
The company claims that because the batteries lack an upper Ampere limit that would otherwise cause spontaneous overheating, the batteries are also safer. The stable base materials also facilitate their recycling later.

The company hopes to bring these cells to market by the end of 2021 or early 2022

end quote

https://graphenemg.com/

Just thinking of the important battery chemistry variations in my lifetime:

Edison Iron (Telephone station batteries.. very long life)
Lead Acid
Zinc carbon
Alkaline MnO2
Nickel Cadmium
Silver (lightweight US Army backpacks in Vietnam)
NiMH
Lithium Ion (many variations)

Before my father passed away he told me many times over many years that “supercapacitors” were sure to become economically important in mining equipment to replace lead acid batteries.

iIn the early 1990s I was taking a course in xray diffraction when the news about “Buckyball graphene” broke, and our professor said “we should make some of that for you students to practice xraying” so I replaced the tungsten electrode in our vacuum melt furnace with a carbon rod. I was assigned to do this because I was more familiar with contolling the arc because I had Air-Arc’ed lots of rust steel in two on railroad cars in the summer of 1974. We gathered up all the soot made inside the arc furnace, dissolved it in Benzene, then boiled the Benzene off: Viola! A red color that indicated some concentration of Buckyballs. This was all so crudely done that some of the Buckyballs must of had some Copper atoms trapped inside the ball-like atomic structure from the pure copper water cooled floor of the vacuum melt furnace. The “trick” of a vacuum arc furnace is that the water cooled copper floor can get hit with the tremendous temperature of an electric arc but the heat conduction of water cooled copper is so great the copper does not melt. If the furnace floor had been aluminum maybe we would have invented this new battery material way back then.

Re: Yet another battery revolution? [Re: 360view] #2931543
06/09/21 09:03 AM
06/09/21 09:03 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
I am all for this approach but one thing does puzzle me.

"The company claims that because the batteries lack an upper Ampere limit that would otherwise cause spontaneous overheating, the batteries are also safer."

So if you have a direct short between the terminals, these batteries won't overheat and turn into a fireworks display? I went on their website and could find no mention of this.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Yet another battery revolution? [Re: 360view] #2931563
06/09/21 10:31 AM
06/09/21 10:31 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
An interesting article on all the new technologies draw backs. Not sure if it applies to this idea but worth a read IMO. No pun intended on the "CURRENT" LOL

THE UNMENTIONED DRAWBACKS OF CURRENT TECHNOLOGY LINK
beer

Web capture_9-6-2021_94049_.jpeg
Re: Yet another battery revolution? [Re: TJP] #2931931
06/10/21 11:35 AM
06/10/21 11:35 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
So what is the waste being pumped out? The article is long on hyperbole but unless I missed it there is no mention of what that waste stream actually is and what harm it presents. I guess I have to, for now, file this in the environmental hysteria file.

Last edited by 6PakBee; 06/10/21 11:35 AM.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Yet another battery revolution? [Re: TJP] #2932035
06/10/21 04:17 PM
06/10/21 04:17 PM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Originally Posted by TJP
An interesting article on all the new technologies draw backs. Not sure if it applies to this idea but worth a read IMO. No pun intended on the "CURRENT" LOL

THE UNMENTIONED DRAWBACKS OF CURRENT TECHNOLOGY LINK
beer

Why am I not surprised that China’s Rare Earth Mining complex
is powered by coal mines
feeding Coal Fired Electric Generating Plants.

Meanwhile, in the United States
the University of Kentucky Mining Engineering Department is getting grants to extract Rare Earth Minerals from the waste piles of coal cleaning plants in Western Kentucky.

Duke Power Company has been sponsoring research to extract Rare Earth Minerals from the ash from coal fired electric generating plants that burned Appalachian region coal.

The world’s first large Rare Earth Minerals Mine at Mountain Pass CA near the Nevada border still struggles to reopen because its tailings ponds have small concentrations of Uranium and Thorium.