Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline OP
master
fastmark  Offline OP
master
F

Abilene, Texas
I hired a contractor to paint a rental property. The neighbor came over to me a week after the job and said there was over spray on their truck. I looked and I could only see just a dirty truck. It was under a carport and the breeze was blowing directly away from their house. The carport also had a lattice work to block off most of the view of the truck. I could not see any over spray. I could not see it on the house or all the junk piled up next to the house. Nothing on the glass either. Then they proceeded to tell me the guy was a house painter and his boss had to pay someone $1600 to clean over spray from a car when he painted a house. I could see where this was going. I’m sure they would have loved me to write them a check on the spot. They seem to calm down some when I told them I, as a neighborly gesture, would meet them at a detail shop to get there car examined. That’s where is at right now. So these are very unreasoble belligerent people who are trying to bully me for money in my opinion. So I’m sure there will keep insisting for money. If they insist further, I’m going to tell them I’m not responsible and to take the contractor to small claims court. All I can be is a witness. This contractor is a poor guy and has no money. I doubt he has insurance. He did not get overspray on this truck. All I can say is a judge is going to have to decide because I’m not just wring a check for these bullies.

Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: fastmark] #2928418
05/30/21 09:32 AM
05/30/21 09:32 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Take a lot of photos NOW. Next, run the truck through a car wash. Take a lot more photos. Now then tell them to go pound salt.

A small claims suit has a minimum dollar value - and they can't fudge the amount just to make the suit. In other words if they have $800 in damages but the small claims minimum is $1500, they can't jack the suit up just to meet the minimum. Also, it costs money up front to file a small claim, usually $300 minimum. And they lose that if they lose the suit. Low-lifes like this won't have the coin to pursue it legally.

Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: Stanton] #2928420
05/30/21 09:53 AM
05/30/21 09:53 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Never settle for money. If on the remote chance that they do have overspray on their vehicle, tell them you'll have a shop buff it out. At one of the power plants I worked at two painting contractors got overspray on cars. I got a free buff job on both of my work cars. I am curious though, what was the painter using, an airless sprayer? I've never seen overspray from a brush or roller.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: 6PakBee] #2928424
05/30/21 10:01 AM
05/30/21 10:01 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
And if he was using latex, it will scrub off with very little effort !! Who paints with oil-based paint these days anyway - particularly exterior ?!?!?

Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: Stanton] #2928431
05/30/21 10:18 AM
05/30/21 10:18 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
I've had that happen before when one of our cars was in a shop. It took a good cutting or maybe claybar cleaning to get it off. I forget which. I've also had overspray of tar from someone doing roofing nearby when I was parked at work before but that washed off pretty easy the same night. So I'm leary now every time people are doing that sort of work when I'm parked near by.
Pay the neighbor to get it washed and see what it really looks like. Maybe it's dirt and he's being paranoid.

Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: 5thAve] #2928446
05/30/21 10:41 AM
05/30/21 10:41 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline OP
master
fastmark  Offline OP
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Yes latex paint and on a hot day in Texas, paint is dry before it floats 10 feet. I’m meeting them at the detail place next week to get it inspected and we’ll see. I’m sure they will insists it’s overspray no matter what they detail man says. It looks like dirt to me on a car that does not have any wax on it at all.. it is not a well polished truck in the first place. Pictures will do no good because you can’t even see any with the naked eye. It’s ridiculous. They are just panning for gold here and wanting to bully someone. I’m not playing that game. O and in Texas we pound SAND not SALT. LOL. Lots of that here!

Re: Any paint contractors here? [Re: fastmark] #2928535
05/30/21 03:40 PM
05/30/21 03:40 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Well, some photos to ensure they don't make things any worse would be a good idea. It would also have some psychological impact like "hey, this guy means business". Also, ask them to wash it. If they refuse, ask if you can take it for a wash to get a better idea of the extent of damage. And FWIW, any overspray should only be on the side that was facing the house being painted!

Keep in mind that while latex overspray may have dried before hitting the truck, it is a form of plastic and will sort of melt to a surface. But I GUARANTY that it would scrub off with minimal effort. And by the way, alcohol dissolves the stuff.