04/30/21 04:32 PM
Central US
grancuda Offline
super stock
grancuda  Offline
super stock

Central US
Originally Posted by Andrewh
[quote=grancuda]is insurance not killing you for him driving sports cars or 2drs?

Everyone says that but it’s only around $75 a month for full coverage, everyone at my work forces their kids into 4 doors & mini mom suv wagons because of insurance but we haven’t seen any high $ insurance imo.

Originally Posted by Neil
A V8 version of that Firebird, even in scruffy shape, would be 5k + out here easy. I have seen lower mile 80's and 90's IROC and Z-28's up around 15-18.

I don't think they are worth that, and would never pay that for one myself, but that is where asking prices have moved to. They may be dreaming and never sell it?

He gave $5500 & it is a ‘92 Trans Am , true WS6 & L98 car & it’s in great shape, just has some cheesy recovered late 70’s TA seats in it. The ZZ4 heads, edelbrock TPI intake, headers & 3.73 gearset make up for the cheesy seats to him. It’s a great looking car & his buddies at school say he stole it for the money but he spends his spare time ever since he was 15 searching Craigslist & now FB market place. It’s like the Bargain Post days except now you can easily search states away.

Last edited by grancuda; 04/30/21 04:40 PM.

1967 Barracuda Formula S 383
1967 Chevy C10 Short Stepper
1980 Macho Power Wagon LWB 318
2021 Toyota Supra
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: Andrewh] #2917046
04/30/21 04:51 PM
04/30/21 04:51 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by SRT6776
I disagree, I think its better now than its ever been. Go search up used cars with a $3000 budget and look what pops up, reliable cars with no rust. 20 years ago you had to spend $5000-$7000 to get that and the car was a tin can.

$500? When could you ever get a good used car for that???? The 60's??

I said beater, not good used car.
But to answer your question it was late 80's early 90's.
My cars in that time frame.
66 coronet 500 2dr was 800 bucks.
71 gto was 500 bucks.
64 dodge 880 custom was 400 bucks.
83 new yorker was 550
67 coronet was 500
87 fury was 800

and sure no doubt a 2000 whatever is more reliable than anything on my list.
I just mean as a kid there were affordable cars I wanted to drive because they looked cool.
vs today what are your choices from 20 years ago that are anything more than a camry look a like?

I had a $700 1992 Infiniti G20 back in 2007, 200K, blown struts, cracked windshield, rusted holes in floors, other rust, used up heat score beater. I could find way better for the money these days

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: SRT6776] #2917059
04/30/21 05:17 PM
04/30/21 05:17 PM
Kalispell Mt.
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
Happy Birthday HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here

Kalispell Mt.
No running driving cars around here for $500 any more, they all vanished in the last year. All the "free money" is causing run away inflation and people can buy less stuff now than if they did not get the "free money".

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: grancuda] #2917061
04/30/21 05:19 PM
04/30/21 05:19 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by grancuda
[quote=grancuda]is insurance not killing you for him driving sports cars or 2drs?

Everyone says that but it’s only around $75 a month for full coverage, everyone at my work forces their kids into 4 doors & mini mom suv wagons because of insurance but we haven’t seen any high $ insurance imo.

Originally Posted by Neil
A V8 version of that Firebird, even in scruffy shape, would be 5k + out here easy. I have seen lower mile 80's and 90's IROC and Z-28's up around 15-18.

I don't think they are worth that, and would never pay that for one myself, but that is where asking prices have moved to. They may be dreaming and never sell it?

He gave $5500 & it is a ‘92 Trans Am , true WS6 & L98 car & it’s in great shape, just has some cheesy recovered late 70’s TA seats in it. The ZZ4 heads, edelbrock TPI intake, headers & 3.73 gearset make up for the cheesy seats to him. It’s a great looking car & his buddies at school say he stole it for the money but he spends his spare time ever since he was 15 searching Craigslist & now FB market place. It’s like the Bargain Post days except now you can easily search states away.

Saw a black 3rd gen camaro on there not long ago, 355, 5-spd manual, black, red int, nice rims, all there, running/driving for $5000. Tempting, also saw a 77 Trans am with 454 4speed swap for $10,000

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: SRT6776] #2917075
04/30/21 06:16 PM
04/30/21 06:16 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
To me, the sad part isn't the cost of used cars available to teens but the lack of interest teens have in fixing up their cars compared to decades ago. There is so much less interest in getting hands on, fixing them up MECHANICALLY and cosmetically and taking pride in repairing things, and mostly for the males, improving the performance. That seems to be gone for the majority. I'm not saying there aren't some that still have that interest but it's nothing like it once was. Granted expensive diagnostic tools are necessary for a lot but older cars don't need as much and prices on basic diagnostics are coming down.

Most seem to be just as happy in mom's suv as they would be in a tuned Civic (not what I would want but whatever). Grease under the fingernails is icky to even male teens now. I'm amazed at how many families with male teens have a lawn service mowing their lawn. That tells you something right there. I know they are busy with school, etc. but I cannot believe parents do this! I had school, sports, etc. but there was no way my azz wasn't mowing the lawn!

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: larrymopar360] #2917119
04/30/21 08:36 PM
04/30/21 08:36 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
iagree That really is the difference between 'then' and now. Nobody can work on anything.

Just one example: there is an 02 Ram 1500 on the local Marketplace for $1,500. Has a bad tranny. Doesn't look too bad. Local pick-a-parts have trannies for $150-$200. There are similar deals on cars, too. But everyone has to have a decent looking dependable running and driving vehicle for peanuts. Not going to happen.

For those that can work on cars, there are still decent deals today, same as yesterday.

Master, again and still
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: larrymopar360] #2917121
04/30/21 08:37 PM
04/30/21 08:37 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I think there are a lot of useable beaters around, my 20 yo grandson doesn't seem to have any problems find them, but then again, he is not afraid to get his hands dirty working on them.

I think most of the problems with cars for kids these days are the parents. Too many are terrified to consider THEIR teenager in anything with some miles on them, or seeing their precious child driving something with a little body damage. It ruins the family image. Too many kids these days have been brought up with the expectation that they are too good to be seen in anything not perfect, and that mommy and daddy will be sure they get to drive the very best, because after all mommy and daddy will be buying the child anything they want, as long as it meets mommy & daddy's expectations. Mommy and daddy have been living beyond their means for years, and they have taught their children the same values. Gene

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: poorboy] #2917149
04/30/21 09:29 PM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
Unlike 30 years ago, you don’t see much “junk” on the roads these days. Kids today are used to reliable import boxes.

China is the enemy.
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: njmopar] #2917150
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by njmopar
I was able to snipe a decent deal last fall on a 2001 XJ for my daughter (first car). She really wanted one, but I told her most will be out of price range for sure.
Saw a marketplace post and next morning got it for $2K with 176K miles. Tiny bit of rust and a very tired suspension and interior.
Became a project for her and I. Of course, I got addicted and it became a mini resto project, including new paint (Maaco) and entirely new suspension and cleaned up interior.

I did the same thing with a 4runner but it was listed for $11,500 and I got it for $9000. Came with 2018 Tacoma wheels and tires on it plus the stockers with brand new snow tires. Sold each set for $1000 and put TRD Pro wheels and BFG K02's on it. EBC brakes, poly sway bar bushings fixed the front end clunk it had ($50), new CV shafts, rear gate actuator, and just had the stock suspension ripped out of it for Bilstein shocks all around and new springs up front. Love this thing, my buddy that works at a Toyota dealer said I'd get $17,000 for it right now easy, true body on frame V8 4x4 is all the rage right now.

Prior to this I had been driving brand new cars since 2008 and this thing is every bit as reliable and I missed going to the auto parts store and doing upgrades etc. Win-Win, and not only is it holding value, its increasing.

20210423_145221.jpg
Last edited by SRT6776; 04/30/21 11:15 PM.
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: SRT6776] #2917218
05/01/21 05:55 AM
05/01/21 05:55 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Wife got a Jeep Compass in 2019. She wanted to trade in the 2008 Avenger for it. They would have given us a fair price on it. But we decided to keep it because our daughter is getting her license this year and wants her own car. Why spend money on a beater that you don't know what's wrong with it when the Avenger has lifetime max care warranty on it and we bought it brand new so we know the history. When the Avenger dies, we plan on leasing something for the wife and she can have the Compass. Wife keeps looking at new cars, so lease may be the way to go for her.

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: MI_Custumz] #2917308
05/01/21 11:19 AM
05/01/21 11:19 AM
north of coder
moparx Online content
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Online Content
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i lived through the days of reliable $25-100 beaters, [yes, that was a day or two ago biggrin] and that caused a buddy and i to start a junkyard.
it was amazing just how many cars we got for just hauling away, that only took a tune up to put back on the road !
in '75 or 76, i traded a pair of 5.60-15 VW tires for a 67 galaxy 500 2dr hard top, 390 automatic on the floor & 9" rear. NO rust body, but faded paint and wouldn't run.
it took all of 10 minutes or so to figure out the distributor hold down bolt had loosened up, causing the timing to severely retard. after an adjustment, that thing ran HARD !
today, i'm not in the market for a cheap beater, but i still occasionally scan the adds. there seems to be several choices every time i look that are very affordable [being a relative term] needing a minor repair.
however, there seems to be less and less of the population [of all ages] that want to get their fingers dirty, or learn how to fix things. then, when they find out it costs real money to have a shop repair done, and the junkyard scrap prices paid these days are low, they list on line for more and take an offer just to get it gone.
different parts of the country are not the same, so your results will vary. don't be afraid to search a state or two away.
police tow away auctions are another place to score deals, but you better be there in person and know WHAT you are looking at before you bid !
beer

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: moparx] #2917311
05/01/21 11:37 AM
05/01/21 11:37 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOc ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOc !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
mopX pLeASe tsk

A day or two ago tsk x 99

A CENTURY or two ago .., xmaseek

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: poorboy] #2917328
05/01/21 12:33 PM
05/01/21 12:33 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Originally Posted by poorboy
I think there are a lot of useable beaters around, my 20 yo grandson doesn't seem to have any problems find them, but then again, he is not afraid to get his hands dirty working on them.

I think most of the problems with cars for kids these days are the parents. Too many are terrified to consider THEIR teenager in anything with some miles on them, or seeing their precious child driving something with a little body damage. It ruins the family image. Too many kids these days have been brought up with the expectation that they are too good to be seen in anything not perfect, and that mommy and daddy will be sure they get to drive the very best, because after all mommy and daddy will be buying the child anything they want, as long as it meets mommy & daddy's expectations. Mommy and daddy have been living beyond their means for years, and they have taught their children the same values. Gene
Exactly Gene! I've written here before; when I was in high school, the student bike racks were filled, and the student parking was minimal. Now there's hardly a bike to be found and they've had to expand student parking waaaaaaay out into the grassy field. And you can't find a junky old car in the lot. Most of us were riding a bike into our jr. year and then scraped up enough money in our senior year to buy an old car with OUR money.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: larrymopar360] #2917361
05/01/21 01:28 PM
05/01/21 01:28 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

My 'sweet spot' was the late '80's early '90's. I was able to pick up cars all the time for less than $200 and a lot were free. Now, granted, I'm talking about basic family cars, not muscle cars, but still. Most would be considered beaters, but a few were really nice.

At the time I lived in the tri-state area of NY, CT, MA. MA had strict laws about NO frame rust on cars, CT was the same way but with the added burden of having to pass emissions too. NY just expected the car to move and stop under its own power. Back then, people usually had to pay to have their car hauled to the junkyard. Yards paying you for your junker weren't around. People would have a running car that they couldn't register anymore because it wouldn't pass inspection and they couldn't easily sell it, so they'd end up kinda stuck with it. Then a lot of times, they'd get fined for having an abandoned car.

People just wanted their headache gone, and were usually more than happy to unload it on me. My only stipulation was that it had to run (I didn't have a way to tow a car). I would take it back to my little shop I was renting in CT, and evaluate the car's condition. Too far gone, it got parted. Minor repairs, I'd register it in NY and sell it. Being that I usually just dealt with Mopars, parts would often come from other cars I parted.
Then, as now, a neighbor ended the fun. Had a visit from the cops one day. I kept the outside yard clear. If I had to park something outside, it was on inflated tires and not jackstands, no parts strewn about. Gave me the riot act of how I was running an illegal shop, didn't have proper licenses and permits.

I never pursued it further after that. I kept what I wanted, got rid of the rest and less than a year later moved away. Ironically(?) the same town that I was in that was so against 'old cars' ,now hosts an annual car show/cruise in.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: SattyNoCar] #2919905
05/08/21 09:09 AM
05/08/21 09:09 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Buying used cars is a gamble and at a $3000-$5000 price point an even bigger gamble. Count on every car never having its oil changed in a manner/interval that preserves the engine. In fact plan on it consuming oil. If its a timing belt car it will never have had the timing COMPONENTS replaced even if it has 150k plus miles. Coolant will be the original coolant and we know heater cores and water pump replacement on modernish cars can be 10 hours labor. When my daughters got cars I seeked out financially set elderly people and middle class folks selling their cars. In the ad pics the condition of home and neighborhood- if in the pictures can say alot. With Face Book Market place you can see a pic of the seller. If he is wearing a backwards ballcap with a joint in his mouth flipping the middle finger its wise to pass on his car no matter how nice the car may appear.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: 2boltmain] #2919925
05/08/21 10:32 AM
05/08/21 10:32 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by 2boltmain
Buying used cars is a gamble and at a $3000-$5000 price point an even bigger gamble. Count on every car never having its oil changed in a manner/interval that preserves the engine. In fact plan on it consuming oil. If its a timing belt car it will never have had the timing COMPONENTS replaced even if it has 150k plus miles. Coolant will be the original coolant and we know heater cores and water pump replacement on modernish cars can be 10 hours labor. When my daughters got cars I seeked out financially set elderly people and middle class folks selling their cars. In the ad pics the condition of home and neighborhood- if in the pictures can say alot. With Face Book Market place you can see a pic of the seller. If he is wearing a backwards ballcap with a joint in his mouth flipping the middle finger its wise to pass on his car no matter how nice the car may appear.

Some of that is true. A lot of it isn't.
As an example, i own a used car store. We sell primarily Subaru. Every car that leaves here is serviced by an independent shop, and every car that has a timing belt gets a new one if its even within 10k miles of when its due. Example, Subaru’s that have belts, they are due at 105k. If it has 95k or above we do them as a matter of habit...unless we can verify it was already done...and when.
We also recommend/ suggest to our customers to have a shop they trust inspect the car prior to delivery, for peace of mind. Any dealer/ person who has an issue with the buyer doing that.... run.
Looking at a car fax, dealing with someone with good reputation and reviews, and insisting on an independent inspection can help greatly in narrowing the odds of a surprise.
Nothing is perfect, but the above steps sure help.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: 2boltmain] #2920146
05/08/21 07:46 PM
05/08/21 07:46 PM
FT. Worth TX
P
PASTLITE Offline
enthusiast
PASTLITE  Offline
enthusiast
P

FT. Worth TX
Like 2boltmain said older people with money are the best to buy a used car from. Those are the ones that are maintained the best.

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: SattyNoCar] #2920159
05/08/21 08:02 PM
05/08/21 08:02 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Satilite73

My 'sweet spot' was the late '80's early '90's. I was able to pick up cars all the time for less than $200 and a lot were free. Now, granted, I'm talking about basic family cars, not muscle cars, but still. Most would be considered beaters, but a few were really nice.

At the time I lived in the tri-state area of NY, CT, MA. MA had strict laws about NO frame rust on cars, CT was the same way but with the added burden of having to pass emissions too. NY just expected the car to move and stop under its own power. Back then, people usually had to pay to have their car hauled to the junkyard. Yards paying you for your junker weren't around. People would have a running car that they couldn't register anymore because it wouldn't pass inspection and they couldn't easily sell it, so they'd end up kinda stuck with it. Then a lot of times, they'd get fined for having an abandoned car.

People just wanted their headache gone, and were usually more than happy to unload it on me. My only stipulation was that it had to run (I didn't have a way to tow a car). I would take it back to my little shop I was renting in CT, and evaluate the car's condition. Too far gone, it got parted. Minor repairs, I'd register it in NY and sell it. Being that I usually just dealt with Mopars, parts would often come from other cars I parted.
Then, as now, a neighbor ended the fun. Had a visit from the cops one day. I kept the outside yard clear. If I had to park something outside, it was on inflated tires and not jackstands, no parts strewn about. Gave me the riot act of how I was running an illegal shop, didn't have proper licenses and permits.

I never pursued it further after that. I kept what I wanted, got rid of the rest and less than a year later moved away. Ironically(?) the same town that I was in that was so against 'old cars' ,now hosts an annual car show/cruise in.

There is always an [censored] with nothing better to do than worry about what someone is doing on their own private property.

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: mgoblue9798] #2920200
05/08/21 10:11 PM
05/08/21 10:11 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
I'm pretty sure it's all by design. Gotta tread lightly since this isn't the right forum but it almost does seem like there is some clandestine plan to limit our ability to travel.

They're threatening the banning of gasoline vehicles. How many vehicles is that going to render useless and/our valueless?

Is there a fully-electric car out there that has even half the range of a gasoline vehicle?

Short-charge times are still minimum 4 hours and they claim that "damages" the batteries.

Insurance for young people is insane.

Some parts are already not available for Older-than 2000 model vehicles. There's already stuff for my 2004 Tiburon that I literally cannot get anymore. It's junkyard part, or go without.

Cars are designed to fail. When they fail, now there's no parts to repair. We spend a fortune to buy these things only to watch them become useless hunks of nothing.

I almost wonder if it's going to get to the point where people will take a 2019 vehicle, and swap in an old 350 with points and a carb because there were no more parts to keep the 2019-vintage stuff working!

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: used car market is sad for teenagers [Re: That AMC Guy] #2920243
05/09/21 12:09 AM
05/09/21 12:09 AM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by That AMC Guy
I'm pretty sure it's all by design. Gotta tread lightly since this isn't the right forum but it almost does seem like there is some clandestine plan to limit our ability to travel.

They're threatening the banning of gasoline vehicles. How many vehicles is that going to render useless and/our valueless?

Is there a fully-electric car out there that has even half the range of a gasoline vehicle?

Short-charge times are still minimum 4 hours and they claim that "damages" the batteries.

Insurance for young people is insane.

Some parts are already not available for Older-than 2000 model vehicles. There's already stuff for my 2004 Tiburon that I literally cannot get anymore. It's junkyard part, or go without.

Cars are designed to fail. When they fail, now there's no parts to repair. We spend a fortune to buy these things only to watch them become useless hunks of nothing.

I almost wonder if it's going to get to the point where people will take a 2019 vehicle, and swap in an old 350 with points and a carb because there were no more parts to keep the 2019-vintage stuff working!

They want to ban the sale of NEW gas cars, not used - and even that'll be about as successful as the 54mpg fleet average that was supposed to happen by 2020 but didn't even come close. We live in a bubble where some of these things could happen, like city home living with your own charge station. But if you think places in south america or literally anywhere else will be switching to EV's that soon is insane.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4