Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline OP
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline OP
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
Anyone do any testing with these things? Any improvement in part throttle torque and/or fuel mileage?

Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: mgoblue9798] #2914985
04/25/21 11:28 PM
04/25/21 11:28 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Online work
I Win
Cab_Burge  Online Work
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Never heard of them, what are they?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: Cab_Burge] #2915064
04/26/21 09:19 AM
04/26/21 09:19 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
The AR headers, mufflers, cone inserts/etc all fell by the wayside years ago as there was no substantial gains to be had in HP or MPG

Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: DAYCLONA] #2915459
04/26/21 09:42 PM
04/26/21 09:42 PM
Atlanta, GA
M
mgoblue9798 Offline OP
super stock
mgoblue9798  Offline OP
super stock
M

Atlanta, GA
One version:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNeY_Vge5gs

David Vizard has a design using what looks similar to a hollowed out cat. Exhaust pipe protrudes into hollow chamber by a couple inches, exhaust goes out end of the pipe expands into the chamber and is somewhat restricted from being pulled backwards into the pipe.

Operating principle is it stops reversion flow of exhaust gasses back into the cylinder by trapping some of it from being able to backflow.

From what I am reading circle track cars that are limited to stock cylinder heads and 2bbls are supposedly making more part throttle torque but losing no top end.

Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: mgoblue9798] #2915523
04/27/21 06:33 AM
04/27/21 06:33 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Magnum V8s have Chrysler designed and factory standard anti-reversion lips at both the exhaust flange and intake runner to cylinder head.

“Step Header Pipes” are the anti-reversion design feature considered to be most effective.

How many inches away a catalytic converter or muffler is placed from the exhaust valve seat does have an effect on Torque and Volumetric Efficiency of Cylinder filling at a particular rpm.

If you have a single cylinder engine running at a set rpm ( think portable generator) the length of exhaust pipe to either muffler entrance or pipe end can have a very noticeable effect on horsepower, but you rarely see this taken advantage of because the pipe needs to be long. Most such generators have the shortest pipe to a short muffler for cost and space reasons.

There are programs that computer model exhaust systems (PIPES) or Engine Analyser from Performance Trends.

If you were lucky enough to take High School physics in the 1970s, the amazing PSSC Physics course had water tables were you could see with your own eyes waves hitting various shaped barriers. There is the famous “two slit” experiment where a broad parallel wave hits a wall with two narrow slits, tiny new waves emerge from the slits and then “reinforce” to higher wave top areas and “interfere” to spots where the wave height disappear. Today, sadly, high school students never set up such experiments with their hands and witness results with their eyes. They are lucky to even see a video.

If you are a white water rafter with physics trained eyes you see reversion waves frequently.

Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: 360view] #2915909
04/27/21 09:56 PM
04/27/21 09:56 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by 360view
Magnum V8s have Chrysler designed and factory standard anti-reversion lips at both the exhaust flange and intake runner to cylinder head.

“Step Header Pipes” are the anti-reversion design feature considered to be most effective.

How many inches away a catalytic converter or muffler is placed from the exhaust valve seat does have an effect on Torque and Volumetric Efficiency of Cylinder filling at a particular rpm.

If you have a single cylinder engine running at a set rpm ( think portable generator) the length of exhaust pipe to either muffler entrance or pipe end can have a very noticeable effect on horsepower, but you rarely see this taken advantage of because the pipe needs to be long. Most such generators have the shortest pipe to a short muffler for cost and space reasons.

There are programs that computer model exhaust systems (PIPES) or Engine Analyser from Performance Trends.

If you were lucky enough to take High School physics in the 1970s, the amazing PSSC Physics course had water tables were you could see with your own eyes waves hitting various shaped barriers. There is the famous “two slit” experiment where a broad parallel wave hits a wall with two narrow slits, tiny new waves emerge from the slits and then “reinforce” to higher wave top areas and “interfere” to spots where the wave height disappear. Today, sadly, high school students never set up such experiments with their hands and witness results with their eyes. They are lucky to even see a video.

If you are a white water rafter with physics trained eyes you see reversion waves frequently.

I remember the wave table in high school physics (1977/78). We had one of the most fascinating teachers, as well. A truly remarkable man with a wicked sense of humor (while I don't have access at the moment, he can be seen on the intro to a page that I have on Facebook, KBUL, as he also ran the radio/tv production class). My lab partners were outstanding, as well. Still have semi-regular contact with two of the three. Absolutely great memories.

Re: anti reversion chambers/mufflers [Re: mgoblue9798] #2916156
04/28/21 02:46 PM
04/28/21 02:46 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I recall when anti-reversion headers where a rage. Some of the latest wiz-bang set ups had cones just inside the head flange. I seem to recall this was real popular with the Vortec chevy guys for a while.