04/10/21 11:41 AM
04/10/21 11:41 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
Install a $3.00 ballast resistor & see if the problem solved. If not, you have an extra BR.

When mine went bad in my 71 Hemi Charger, I was driving it & it just quit. I pulled over on the shoulder & it started right back up, so I continued driving. About another 2 miles it died again, repeated the same scenario until I got to my buddies' house & there it sat for 2 weeks. It was getting fuel, & getting spark when we tested - WTH? So I started replacing inexpensive parts: coil, cap & rotor, elect. ign. module (I had extras), etc. It would always start & run, but then would cut-out. I finally decided to make the trek back to my place about 25 miles away & it died a few times on the way, but I made it. I was about to take it to an auto electric place & tried fiddling with it one last evening & started it & then observed underhood while it was running - saw a spark at the BR & it promptly died. I started it back up as usual, got out & wiggled one of the wires to it & it sparked again & died. I had an extra (old used) BR in my stash & installed it - problem solved. My story............

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: stumpy] #2908723
04/10/21 12:24 PM
04/10/21 12:24 PM
Alberta
440_Offroader Offline
enthusiast
440_Offroader  Offline
enthusiast

Alberta
Originally Posted by stumpy
Timing should be about 18* btdc with the vacuum advance disconnected. To much advance will make it turn over very slowly.

iagree

You don't want your timing at 3-4 degrees ATDC.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: 440_Offroader] #2908799
04/10/21 06:00 PM
04/10/21 06:00 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline OP
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Kentucky
Originally Posted by 440_Offroader
Timing should be about 18* btdc with the vacuum advance disconnected. To much advance will make it turn over very slowly.

iagree

Ok back up on the timing. Set to 18 degrees advanced. It runs cooler and starts better.
Someone earlier said something about the starter and battery. One or both are weak I think. If it does not want to start now I throw the charger on it at 50 amps it will start. Even at a15 amp sometimes it won’t start.
I think there has been a combination of things contributing and most likely the BR had nothing to do with it.
I have inherited some people’s hacked up work that has been going on for several owners probably. I think we’re making progress.

‘72 Charger, 5.9 Magnum, Tremec 5 spd., Pro-Touring
‘14 Big Horn, Quad Cab, 4x4, 1500
Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2908823
04/10/21 07:26 PM
04/10/21 07:26 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Install a $3.00 ballast resistor & see if the problem solved. If not, you have an extra BR.

When mine went bad in my 71 Hemi Charger, I was driving it & it just quit. I pulled over on the shoulder & it started right back up, so I continued driving. About another 2 miles it died again, repeated the same scenario until I got to my buddies' house & there it sat for 2 weeks. It was getting fuel, & getting spark when we tested - WTH? So I started replacing inexpensive parts: coil, cap & rotor, elect. ign. module (I had extras), etc. It would always start & run, but then would cut-out. I finally decided to make the trek back to my place about 25 miles away & it died a few times on the way, but I made it. I was about to take it to an auto electric place & tried fiddling with it one last evening & started it & then observed underhood while it was running - saw a spark at the BR & it promptly died. I started it back up as usual, got out & wiggled one of the wires to it & it sparked again & died. I had an extra (old used) BR in my stash & installed it - problem solved. My story............

A bad ballast resistor will do that but it won't cause a no start issue so there's still something else going on.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: dfsmopars] #2908827
04/10/21 07:37 PM
04/10/21 07:37 PM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by dfsmopars
Originally Posted by 440_Offroader

iagree

Ok back up on the timing. Set to 18 degrees advanced. It runs cooler and starts better.
Someone earlier said something about the starter and battery. One or both are weak I think. If it does not want to start now I throw the charger on it at 50 amps it will start. Even at a15 amp sometimes it won’t start.
I think there has been a combination of things contributing and most likely the BR had nothing to do with it.
I have inherited some people’s hacked up work that has been going on for several owners probably. I think we’re making progress.

Did you try a new battery? You should check both that and the alternator or just try a fully charged battery you know is good to try and see if that makes a difference. If it has a battery or alternator problem you'll be chasing problems down forever for no reason.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: 5thAve] #2908838
04/10/21 08:34 PM
04/10/21 08:34 PM
katakan
L
lilred Offline
lilred  Offline
L

katakan
Had kind of a similar issue, hot sure if your car shuts down after running for a bit or nor. What happened with mine was changed my ECU box to a mint looking one because I can, LOL. So with this different mint looking ECU I was letting the car idle and warm up and it just stopped running?? so I went to restart it and it wouldn't start right away, after a while of sitting it restarted fine but quit again after a while, turned out that once the ECU box warmed up it just shut itself down till it cooled off, Not sure if this helps you out or not but if you have a known good ECU try that??

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: dfsmopars] #2908852
04/10/21 09:31 PM
04/10/21 09:31 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline OP
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Kentucky
BTW. FYI. LOL. When it was given to me it was sick and weak. Today I did a one wheel burn out with it. Kind of a reward for messing with this thing. Threw this in to lighten the mood. This week I’ll dive deeper into the battery, alternator and starter.
I’m doing this for a good friend and trying to make the repairs without just throwing money at it. I’ll post updates.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: Kern Dog] #2909018
04/11/21 11:22 AM
04/11/21 11:22 AM
PINE VALLEY
Ray S Offline
Ray S  Offline

PINE VALLEY
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by Andrewh
ballast is bypassed during start.
so if it was the ballast you would expect it to start then die when you let off the key.

Not necessarily true. I had a ballast resistor go bad years ago on a '71 Charger & it would start & run just fine, then just cut-out at very inconsistent intervals.

OP, start it & then get out & wiggle the wires connecting to the BR - if it sparks & shuts off, then it's the BR.

I had one break!

Mine has the same cracked core, but the coils are OK and ~.7Ohms
I don't use it for ignition as I have HEI now.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: dfsmopars] #2909019
04/11/21 11:24 AM
04/11/21 11:24 AM
PINE VALLEY
Ray S Offline
Ray S  Offline

PINE VALLEY
BTW. FYI. LOL. When it was given to me it was sick and weak. Today I did a one wheel burn out with it. Kind of a reward for messing with this thing. Threw this in to lighten the mood. This week I’ll dive deeper into the battery, alternator and starter.
I’m doing this for a good friend and trying to make the repairs without just throwing money at it. I’ll post updates.

What is the system V when off, and when running?
Does the Alt gauge move?

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: 5thAve] #2909534
04/12/21 05:25 PM
04/12/21 05:25 PM
Harriman NY
71GTX471 Offline
top fuel
71GTX471  Offline
top fuel

Harriman NY
Once upon a time I was all excited to take a girl out on a date in a Jensen Interceptor, dam eng. wouldn't start when I was picking her up the BR went bad.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: Ray S] #2909591
04/12/21 08:43 PM
04/12/21 08:43 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline OP
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Kentucky
Originally Posted by Ray S

What is the system V when off, and when running?
Does the Alt gauge move?

The gauge moves violently. I found an after market volt gauge under the seat. Apparently someone has been chasing the problem.

Had the alternator tested today and it is fine. The battery is good. The next step is the starter. However, I will say with some of the moves discussed here the starting problem is getting better. I think the MSD coil and the timing being too far advanced has the biggest effect.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: dfsmopars] #2912122
04/19/21 09:24 PM
04/19/21 09:24 PM
Kentucky
D
dfsmopars Offline OP
top fuel
dfsmopars  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Kentucky
All tuned up and running great. Replaced coil, wires, plugs and adjusted timing.
When it gets hot it still will not start but when it does not start the starter drags. The battery and alternator are good. So next step is too replace the starter.
Replaced valve seals and the inside of the engine was surprisingly clean.

After the starter is done I may have to post in the truck section because the 4x4 is not working. Plenty of fluid in the transfer case. Nothing obvious underneath. Right now don’t know if it is an electrical or vacuum problem.

Re: Ballast Resistor [Re: dfsmopars] #2918958
05/05/21 05:05 PM
05/05/21 05:05 PM
The Garden State
LimelightCuda Offline
enthusiast
LimelightCuda  Offline
enthusiast

The Garden State
Before changing the starter I would take a good look at the battery cables and other wires associated with the starting system. Make sure all connections are tight and clean. One time I had a problem with my starter turning slowly and it turned out the battery cable connections were corroded. I cleaned them real good and that solved the problem.

Another time I had a problem where the positive battery cable got too close to the exhaust and some of the insulation melted as well as the wire was exposed to too much heat therefore creating extra resistance.

Last edited by LimelightCuda; 05/05/21 05:08 PM.

Phil

1970 Barracuda Gran Coupe
1970 A66 Challenger Convertible
Page 2 of 2 1 2