Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline OP
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline OP
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
I have never done a youtube video but am thinking about doing some, I still get a lot of e-mails about the original superduperMPG318 cuda, I need to pull the engine from my wifes daily driver van (5.9 magnum) and reseal everything and am going to do a few things to improve MPG along the way, I want to do some videos of that to practice then I want to do another all out superdupermpg318 part 2 93 dakota an really lay the modifications on thick to see what I can coax out of it.

My questions are many, can I get by with just my cell phone camera or do I need something better? If I need something else what can I get without breaking the bank? What about microphones...?

Should I do multiple videos along the way or do the entire project on one long video?

How do you get sponsors to help with stuff?

Not my primary objective (I just enjoy these projects and have actually done quit a few since the first) but if I get lots of views or followers how do I make money off that? Is it even possible?

Any other things I have not thought of related to the video making process I need to know about ahead of time?

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2907343
04/06/21 03:02 PM
04/06/21 03:02 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Cell phones are good for certain shots but not the best for full videos. Typical sports cameras like GoPros lend far more flexibility. People who are fairly serious buy real cameras or specific video cameras.

How do you get a sponsor? Earn tens of thousands of subscribers, produce quality videos than appeal to the desired sponsors, and stay far away from political topics and anything that would set off SJWs. In other words, fuggataboutit. Notgonnahappen.

Get decent editing software and learn it. Little thing done in editing make big differences.

Don't be dry. Let your personality out but don't be fake. If you're watching a clip for the 6th time in editing and find your attention drifting then you're likely to lose your audience, too.

Your work has to appeal to someone. I struggle to get views. I also struggle to capture my personality because I fall back into instructor mode when I should be hanging out and shooting the breeze with my viewers.

Sometimes a video takes off. My craptastic video making the rose out of copper pipe crossed over into crafting and rocketed to 1.2 million views. The more recent videos of the 541 stroker only have a few hundred views.

You will not make appreciable money. I might bring home $100 each month but even that is iffy.

Keep your videos short if you can. 10-15 minutes works for most things. Longer than that and you start losing viewers.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: HotRodDave] #2907352
04/06/21 03:27 PM
04/06/21 03:27 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
The good thing about youtube is you can learn everything about it and how to do it, on it. GoPro's are good but some have a real fish eye / wide angle thing going on that wouldn't look good for everything. Higher end phones can get you pretty far but you'll need a gimble for it and of course a good mic. A shotgun mic can get you far but a lapel would be best. Start there, Adobe premier pro is good for editing, watch tutorials on youtube, the basics are very straight forward and fortunately that's what people like best, basic. Not long intros and flashy crap all over the place.

I urge anyone with wrench skills, old fashion know how and a garage full of cool stuff to pick up the camera - and you dont need to be on camera if you dont want to be. AvE has 1 million plus subscribers and has never shown or said who he is.

Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: feets] #2907354
04/06/21 03:29 PM
04/06/21 03:29 PM
Star Idaho
67vertman Offline
master
67vertman  Offline
master

Star Idaho
Feets brings up many good points.

Keep them under 20 minutes.
Cell phone audio is [censored] at best, get a good microphone. Cell phone video is okay to start with but invest in a Camera and tri pod when you can.
You should do the same task multi pal times from different angles/perspective and edit them so they flow as one.
Editing will take you three times as long as filming.
Watch a bunch of videos on the subject you are planning to do to see how they are, and what you would do to improve them.
If you want to make money from YouTube, you will need to get many likes and subscribers, so don't forget to ask your audience to hit those buttons.
YouTube tracks, when people do not watch your video all the way through or fast forward them, and docs you for it.

Good luck with your adventure! And make sure you are having fun doing it, the audience can tell.

My Monster are real!

Living within your means makes life pretty easy.
Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: 67vertman] #2907442
04/06/21 08:30 PM
04/06/21 08:30 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline

Check out these guys on YouTube. Lots of great tips and info. Think Media and Video Influencers .

Don't overwhelm yourself thinking you have to have the 'latest and greatest' gear. If you have an Iphone that's not more than 5 yrs old, it'll work for a start. I follow a few channels on YouTube where they only use an Iphone and the video quality is very good - excellent.

I've made a few random videos, and am looking into starting a channel.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: SRT6776] #2907530
04/07/21 12:21 AM
04/07/21 12:21 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by SRT6776
The good thing about youtube is you can learn everything about it and how to do it, on it. GoPro's are good but some have a real fish eye / wide angle thing going on that wouldn't look good for everything. Higher end phones can get you pretty far but you'll need a gimble for it and of course a good mic. A shotgun mic can get you far but a lapel would be best. Start there, Adobe premier pro is good for editing, watch tutorials on youtube, the basics are very straight forward and fortunately that's what people like best, basic. Not long intros and flashy crap all over the place.

I urge anyone with wrench skills, old fashion know how and a garage full of cool stuff to pick up the camera - and you dont need to be on camera if you dont want to be. AvE has 1 million plus subscribers and has never shown or said who he is.

That guy is a hoot and nobody's fool.

Kevin

Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: Twostick] #2907830
04/07/21 08:16 PM
04/07/21 08:16 PM
SattyNoCar Offline
SattyNoCar  Offline

As an example, here's a channel I follow and he shoots with an iPhone 11Pro Max. He uses Adobe Premier CC for editing.

He recently got a drone, so that's about the only exception.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2907861
04/07/21 10:31 PM
04/07/21 10:31 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I shoot with a Sony HD video camera. I take stills mostly with either my DSLR or one of my point and shoot cameras (both types do different things well). I also occasionally take video with the point and shoots.

I avoid using my cell phone for video and only take pics for reference.

As for editing, I have a few programs. They all do different things well. Check out Da Vinci for their free version, but you must have a very good graphics card or it won't run.

My video with the most views (over 57k) is a how to (LCA repair). On the entertainment side my video of Stu's sidepipes has 5,900 views.

Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: SattyNoCar] #2907864
04/07/21 10:36 PM
04/07/21 10:36 PM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
I use a hand held Samsung 9 plus, nothing fancy, not looking for a full time job, no extra time on a computer with editing software.
It's hard to make real good money unless the topic is hot or you have someone that is real Hot looking.
Before you start filming, go look to see what is out there in that same topic and see what you can improve, you will need several thousand views and followers to start before they will look at your account and review it to see if they will make money on you.
You can have a niche and stick with 1 topic or do a little of each topic and see what gets the most hits,some will bomb and some will take off.
I don't push people and say "don't forget to Subscribe to my channel, push on the bottom button and you won't miss out on an up coming video on My channel and be the 1st to see it"
I can't stand that crap on videos that I watch, people will subscribe if they want, money is made on viewers that watch the videos from all the countries in the world, it's amazing.
I love the interaction with the viewers when questions are asked and when I get the thanks for helping them out.
I'm all over the place from cars to stoves to just what people might search for...take a look...Money is paid monthly to an account you set up if you pass the review.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXkKSrJY9bGdW6ljyFrnEIw

Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: AARCONV] #2908703
04/10/21 11:33 AM
04/10/21 11:33 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
As far as a audio- wind noise is like chewing on tinfoil while being exposed to nails on a chalkboard.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Youtube video ??? [Re: 2boltmain] #2908715
04/10/21 11:56 AM
04/10/21 11:56 AM
Virginia
BSharp Offline
master
BSharp  Offline
master

Virginia
This Old Tony does some of the best photography and editing I've seen on YouTube. I like Vice Grip Garage too. He works on cars like the rest of us work on cars.