Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906234
04/04/21 01:06 PM
04/04/21 01:06 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
My wife works in the health care field its not just car insurance companies that don't want to pay health insurance companies are just as bad: clerks deciding which treatment and medication is best and covered for a patient with no medical training. She is on the phone for hours trying to find out if a patients diagnoses and treatment are covered.

Last edited by 11secdart; 04/04/21 01:07 PM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: 11secdart] #2906238
04/04/21 01:07 PM
04/04/21 01:07 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by 11secdart
My wife works in the health care field its not just car insurance companies that don't want to pay health insurance companies are just as bad: clerks deciding which treatment and medication is best and covered for a patient with no medical training. She is on the phone for hours trying to find out if a patients diagnoses and treatment is covered.

I once had a claim denied after it had been approved, and after I'd already had the surgery. Got a bill for $25k. Took me 3 months of wrangling to get it fixed, but ultimately, insurance paid the bill. Part of the screw up was the surgeon's office staff, part was the insurance company.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906277
04/04/21 01:45 PM
04/04/21 01:45 PM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by ruderunner
Years ago I had a customer vehicle towed in after driving over a large rock at the end of a driveway. Damage was all underneath and IMHO mostly cosmetic. Damage included a couple dents in the cradle, scuffs on the oil pan and gas tank and a short section of exhaust that was crushed. Vehicle was a year or two old.

I gave an estimate to repair the exhaust and check the alignment, vehicle was drivable and nothing leaking. The customer called their insurance and things got crazy.

Adjuster ordered a replacement cradle, oil pan, gas tank and complete exhaust. The exhaust was new, everything else was used and honestly no better than what was on the vehicle. I pointed it out to the adjuster and he said do it anyways.

A $200 repair turned into a $5000 claim. A 1 day repair turned into 2 weeks of downtime.

They owed to replace those items. They were damaged in the accident, and they're not repairable. Insurance company was 100% correct. If the customer would've chosen to not complete those repairs and pocketed the difference, it would've been their right to do so, but the insurance company can't say "Bah, just ignore the dents in the cradle and the pan and the gas tank."

Sure they owed to replace the damaged parts, but replacing damaged parts with worn or similarly damaged parts accomplished what?

If it had been all new parts that would have made sense. More expensive? Yes but sensible.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: ruderunner] #2906279
04/04/21 01:47 PM
04/04/21 01:47 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

On that, we agree completely.

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2906353
04/04/21 04:18 PM
04/04/21 04:18 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
your two cars that burned up in your garage aren't considered contents....

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: basketcase] #2906356
04/04/21 04:22 PM
04/04/21 04:22 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Cars aren't typically covered on a homeowners policy even if parked as "furniture" in your garage. Have to have their own separate coverage in most every case.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906364
04/04/21 04:38 PM
04/04/21 04:38 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

I've only talked to a few agents over the years, but when I did, it was usually them complaining about how much we'd paid out on a claim. Considering that most of them have zero idea about how claims are handled, and how much it costs to repair a vehicle, I found those conversations ridiculous. Now that I think about it, they sounded a lot like Doc...whining about things that they know nothing about, complaining about how much people charge for goods/services. laugh2

You mean like how nearly everyone on here complains about dealerships while not having a clue about what it takes or how much money goes into training and equipment to run one? Like that?

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906368
04/04/21 04:57 PM
04/04/21 04:57 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

My wife works in the health care field its not just car insurance companies that don't want to pay health insurance companies are just as bad: clerks deciding which treatment and medication is best and covered for a patient with no medical training. She is on the phone for hours trying to find out if a patients diagnoses and treatment is covered.

I once had a claim denied after it had been approved, and after I'd already had the surgery. Got a bill for $25k. Took me 3 months of wrangling to get it fixed, but ultimately, insurance paid the bill. Part of the screw up was the surgeon's office staff, part was the insurance company.

Went through this with my ex, after a fight to get them to approve the surgery, they denied it after it was done. Didn't matter that they authorized it prior to the procedure. F'ing scum sucking crooks, everyone of them.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: Guitar Jones] #2906403
04/04/21 06:16 PM
04/04/21 06:16 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by Guitar Jones

Went through this with my ex, after a fight to get them to approve the surgery, they denied it after it was done. Didn't matter that they authorized it prior to the procedure. F'ing scum sucking crooks, everyone of them.

Surgeon's office used a nearly identical, but slightly different CPT code when they billed than what insurance had pre-approved. I called insurance, they agreed that the code approved and the code billed were essentially the same procedure, but asked the surgeon to resubmit with the approved code instead. Surgeon did so, insurance denied again, but couldn't tell me why. Round and round it went.

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: Guitar Jones] #2906405
04/04/21 06:17 PM
04/04/21 06:17 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I've only talked to a few agents over the years, but when I did, it was usually them complaining about how much we'd paid out on a claim. Considering that most of them have zero idea about how claims are handled, and how much it costs to repair a vehicle, I found those conversations ridiculous. Now that I think about it, they sounded a lot like Doc...whining about things that they know nothing about, complaining about how much people charge for goods/services. laugh2

You mean like how nearly everyone on here complains about dealerships while not having a clue about what it takes or how much money goes into training and equipment to run one? Like that?

You know what? Exactly like that. laugh2

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906546
04/04/21 08:46 PM
04/04/21 08:46 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Surgeon's office used a nearly identical, but slightly different CPT code when they billed than what insurance had pre-approved. I called insurance, they agreed that the code approved and the code billed were essentially the same procedure, but asked the surgeon to resubmit with the approved code instead. Surgeon did so, insurance denied again, but couldn't tell me why. Round and round it went.

We went round and round for over 8 months to no avail. I ended up paying the $150k bill myself.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: Guitar Jones] #2906570
04/04/21 09:36 PM
04/04/21 09:36 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Years ago my dad left for work early to go out of town and hit some guys horse that got out in the dark and was wondering all over the street. The farmer guy had an ancient dilapidated barb wire fence up against a 4 lane highway and the fence posts rotted and fell over letting the horses out. The farmers insurance agent told my dad it was 100% his fault for being on the road earlier than normal. Took my dad months of fighting to get the $$$ to replace the car. My dad made the mistake of telling the cop filling out the accident report that he normally didn't drive to work that early, and the insurance guy ran with it and almost made it work.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: Neil] #2906670
04/05/21 06:57 AM
04/05/21 06:57 AM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by Neil
Years ago my dad left for work early to go out of town and hit some guys horse that got out in the dark and was wondering all over the street. The farmer guy had an ancient dilapidated barb wire fence up against a 4 lane highway and the fence posts rotted and fell over letting the horses out. The farmers insurance agent told my dad it was 100% his fault for being on the road earlier than normal. Took my dad months of fighting to get the $$$ to replace the car. My dad made the mistake of telling the cop filling out the accident report that he normally didn't drive to work that early, and the insurance guy ran with it and almost made it work.

Look up "open range" laws. Totally ridiculous.

Along the lines of your example, we've seen many times in TX and southern states where insurers will refuse to accept liability for accidents that happen when roads are snowy/icy. I've seen multiple police reports indicating no fault, even though one driver was clearly at fault. The reason? Snow and ice. All because those folks' egos are too fragile to admit they couldn't properly drive in the snow.

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: crackedback] #2906705
04/05/21 08:51 AM
04/05/21 08:51 AM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
Originally Posted by crackedback
Cars aren't typically covered on a homeowners policy even if parked as "furniture" in your garage. Have to have their own separate coverage in most every case.
so I found out....the hard way. But the adjuster worked with me. He told me to write down everything I hadin the garage...every spare part,tool,lawn mower, etc. He said get e bay prices, I'll take care of you. And he kept his word.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: AndyF] #2906744
04/05/21 09:29 AM
04/05/21 09:29 AM
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
Member known as the "Artist"
rrbrucea  Offline

Nort Cackalacky
Originally Posted by AndyF
The big problem is when a customer who doesn't know anything works with an agent who doesn't know anything. Then you can get a real mess.

I lost a $3500 car trailer to exactly this issue. When I asked him about it, my agent told me it was "covered." When it was stolen out of my backyard I reported it to the cops who asked me if it was "covered." Meaning, the cops weren't going to investigate it because the trailer would just get replaced by my insurance company. Turned out my agent was talking about how my CAR insurance covered the trailer when it was hooked to my truck. In order for it to be replaced by insurance as a theft out of my backyard it needed to be declared on my HOMEOWNER'S insurance as property. Obviously I was ignorant of the coverage that I needed, my agent MAY have been, and the cops were too lazy to actually investigate a theft. A comedy of errors, but I'm the one who took the loss.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: rrbrucea] #2906829
04/05/21 11:10 AM
04/05/21 11:10 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by rrbrucea
The big problem is when a customer who doesn't know anything works with an agent who doesn't know anything. Then you can get a real mess.

I lost a $3500 car trailer to exactly this issue. When I asked him about it, my agent told me it was "covered." When it was stolen out of my backyard I reported it to the cops who asked me if it was "covered." Meaning, the cops weren't going to investigate it because the trailer would just get replaced by my insurance company. Turned out my agent was talking about how my CAR insurance covered the trailer when it was hooked to my truck. In order for it to be replaced by insurance as a theft out of my backyard it needed to be declared on my HOMEOWNER'S insurance as property. Obviously I was ignorant of the coverage that I needed, my agent MAY have been, and the cops were too lazy to actually investigate a theft. A comedy of errors, but I'm the one who took the loss.

Yep, I've had agents tell me the wrong thing on several occasions. I learned the hard way that I actually need to read the policy since some agents don't know what they are talking about. I just had a new agent tell me that our daughter's dorm room was covered by our homeowners policy. I had a hunch that wasn't true do I looked it up in the policy and dorm rooms are called out as a specific exclusion to the home owners policy. I'm not sure why some agents just make stuff up, evidently they aren't trained very well. There must not be real consequences for agents just blowing smoke to customers.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906845
04/05/21 11:41 AM
04/05/21 11:41 AM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Now that I think about it, they sounded a lot like Doc...whining about things that they know nothing about, complaining about how much people charge for goods/services. laugh2

LMAO!

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: AndyF] #2906874
04/05/21 01:38 PM
04/05/21 01:38 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Originally Posted by rrbrucea

Yep, I've had agents tell me the wrong thing on several occasions. I learned the hard way that I actually need to read the policy since some agents don't know what they are talking about. I just had a new agent tell me that our daughter's dorm room was covered by our homeowners policy. I had a hunch that wasn't true do I looked it up in the policy and dorm rooms are called out as a specific exclusion to the home owners policy. I'm not sure why some agents just make stuff up, evidently they aren't trained very well. There must not be real consequences for agents just blowing smoke to customers.

Agents all carry Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage, which will reimburse the insurance company if the insurer has to provide coverage for something they otherwise would not have, due to an agent's screw-up. However, crappy agents know that insurers rarely pursue this because they don't want the agent to start badmouthing/not quoting the insurer. As a result, the insurer usually eats the loss, and the crappy agent goes right on being a crappy agent. There are plenty of good agents out there, but there are enough bad ones that you really have to do your homework.

DBAP
Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: not_a_charger] #2906909
04/05/21 03:19 PM
04/05/21 03:19 PM
Nort Cackalacky
rrbrucea Offline
rrbrucea  Offline

Nort Cackalacky
Agents all carry Errors and Omissions (E&O) coverage, which will reimburse the insurance company if the insurer has to provide coverage for something they otherwise would not have, due to an agent's screw-up. However, crappy agents know that insurers rarely pursue this because they don't want the agent to start badmouthing/not quoting the insurer. As a result, the insurer usually eats the loss, and the crappy agent goes right on being a crappy agent. There are plenty of good agents out there, but there are enough bad ones that you really have to do your homework.

In my case I had been with that agent and company for years and years. Given the circumstances I felt like I had no recourse but to take my business elsewhere. The theft of the trailer was a good 15 years ago or so, and I've never had another car trailer since. Such is life...

Re: The MOST RIDICULOUS statement from an insurance agent ? lol [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2906922
04/05/21 03:44 PM
04/05/21 03:44 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
I am one of the honest people who doesn't try to cheat the other person if the accident is my fault or my insurance company.
I have even avoided claims on my homeowners because I didn't feel it was honest. Like when my roof needed replacing from age but roofers kept wanting to charge it to my insurance.

Still, I can talk for hours about all the insurance snafu's in my time.

They all boil down to 3 things.
Discount insurance companies.
State Farm
Allstate

If it were not for them I would never have had had insurance problems.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3