Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Interesting day here, made me think of this post.

Neighbor whom I’ve never met spent the past week trying to undermine me on my new fence. Fronted to fence company he was “100% putting one in” and wanted to match what I was doing. Guess he called around until he found my people. I took the keys here a couple weeks back.

Company called and asked if it could be set up a few inches so it could be weedeated easier at his request. “Since he was matching what I had and all.”
Today he tried to cow the installer into not putting it where I wanted since it made his lot tight. When that failed, he called the city on me.

Finally he introduced himself and tried weasel words to get me to restrict myself. Nice to meet you I said. Finished installing where I laid it out in couple more hours.

His “wife won’t let him put one in.” I had asked where he was doing his. Pretty elaborate rouse to do recon on what I’m up to.

Turns out another neighbor had their invisible fence installed well onto my ground. Probably a foot or more. They even had to come up onto a slight bank to get there, like a natural little boundary they crossed. They were lucky this crew was able to fix the line or they’d be doing without.

Two neighbors. Both said “nobody here does surveys before they buy.”

Well I’m not from here. That was done right away so I could back out over encroachments.

I want my fair share
Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: varunner] #2903053
03/26/21 03:41 PM
03/26/21 03:41 PM
Newburgh, NY
Old_Moparz Offline
master
Old_Moparz  Offline
master

Newburgh, NY

Just wanted to add something that may save you some money. If you still have all the original paperwork from when you bought the house or land, chances are a property survey was performed at that time. It was probably ordered by the bank or financial company if there's a mortgage. Perhaps the title company has a copy since they usually will never grant title insurance without a recent survey or an update with a certification. You wouldn't have known about it unless you scrutinized the bills at the closing, but you paid for it. Sometimes a copy of the survey itself will be given to you. It will have the surveyor's name or the engineering company that does land surveying. You can contact the surveyor, engineering company or the title company, & they will probably have your survey on file. It could be in the previous property owner's name with just a recertification in your name to satisfy the bank & the title company. Instead of the surveyor doing a complete new land survey, which is expensive, they can use the old one to check measurements to verify if something was moved.

Good luck. up

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: Old_Moparz] #2903917
03/29/21 10:36 AM
03/29/21 10:36 AM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA
any updates?

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: migsBIG] #2904479
03/31/21 08:42 AM
03/31/21 08:42 AM
Virginia
V
varunner Offline OP
mopar
varunner  Offline OP
mopar
V

Virginia
I think we're done here. I finally found out who owns the ditch, which is in a utility/drainage easement. It's VDOT. And they required a permit to install a culvert. The contractor who put the culvert in front of my lot didn't get one, and I wouldn't be surprised if he had ever got one. It's not clear how the permitting is enforced. So up to last week we hadn't been able to actually talk to the owner of the company. My son who owns the lot had tried every way possible to communicate with the guy without luck. So I gave it a try and got him on the phone. To make a long story short, he said putting the culvert in front of our lot was no big deal and would cost $2K to remove it. He even had the gall to suggest the future homeowner of the modular could pay for it. I finally told him if he wouldn't take it out, we would.
So this past weekend we used an excavator to dig it up and put it in his front yard, along with a big pile of dirt. This Monday the dirt pile and culvert were gone. I'd like to get some money out of him for the excavator rental and our time, but not sure if it's doable and we don't really what to invest anymore time dealing with this loser.

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: varunner] #2904590
03/31/21 12:48 PM
03/31/21 12:48 PM
On the run…
BloFish Offline
I Live Here
BloFish  Offline
I Live Here

On the run…
Keep an eye on him and the property, people like that tend to retaliate.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: BloFish] #2904618
03/31/21 01:51 PM
03/31/21 01:51 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
Originally Posted by BloFish
Keep an eye on him and the property, people like that tend to retaliate.

Or sometimes when the bully gets popped in the mouth, they turtle.

Hope this is the end of it for you VArunner. Definitely keep an eye on things.

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: crackedback] #2904647
03/31/21 03:30 PM
03/31/21 03:30 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Online content
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Online Content
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Funny that he thinks it's big deal but I'm sure he'd think differently if someone did that to him.

Too bad he didn't correct the problem when it was brought to his attention to begin with.

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: 5thAve] #2904694
03/31/21 06:34 PM
03/31/21 06:34 PM
Virginia
V
varunner Offline OP
mopar
varunner  Offline OP
mopar
V

Virginia
We will definitely keep an eye on things. The new homeowners will be closing in a week or 2 on the modular that sits on that lot. The same company is putting in another modular directly across the street from our lot and it looks another one a little further down the road. So the workers will be around for another couple of months. I don't feel like the owner of the company will try to pull anything on us, I feel less good about his work crew. I'm not too worried about it. We have an empty lot (for now) and this guy has multiple modulars going in. We don't have much exposure, but he has a ton of exposure.........
Plus the VDOT contact says if anything happens, he will assist us if possible.

thanks guys. I appreciate the support.
Brian

Re: Encroachment issue/property line [Re: varunner] #2904719
03/31/21 08:23 PM
03/31/21 08:23 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
That is totally not how I thought things would go down but thank you for updating us. I was genuinely interested in this post and watching for updates.

Best to you and hope it is all good from here on in.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3