03/12/21 07:07 AM
03/12/21 07:07 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Went to the orthodontist today to see about getting rid of a small gap in my front teeth. It was gone in 1995 after braces the first time, but it's back. That's a whole other issue, but going to get it done. The doctor noticed I had listed sleep apnea on the forms. The xray showed a very tiny airway and this is the first time someone pointed it out to me. That explains why I push my tongue out when swallowing and a few other things I thought was normal. Anyway, he recommends a jaw surgery where they basically cut it, move it forward, and reattach it. The process will move both jaws and the tongue forward, thus opening the airway. He said it might not cure sleep apnea, but then I can use a small portable device (mouth guard or such) instead of a CPAP machine and not guaranteed to work. The machine is a pain to take on trips and I am not a fan of wearing it, but need to in order to sleep. The regular doctor said to shoot for 5 or less events an hour. I have 4 out of 10 nights this month under 5. I have an appointment with the sleep center next month and will ask them about it as well as adjusting my machine.

Has anyone had this done? I would be out of work for a few weeks (not an issue), but the main thing is I do all the pool, yard, snow, and some other things around the house and not sure what is a good time to plan it if I do it. The insurance should cover it, but won't know until the doctor writes a recommendation for it. Reading the brochure from BCBS, it should be covered as it is correcting a current medical condition. The main factors that worry me are pain, cost, not working to cure sleep apnea, and the time I will be out and not be able to do anything.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: MI_Custumz] #2898417
03/12/21 12:26 PM
03/12/21 12:26 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I couldn't use a CPAP. It was painful and I couldn't sleep. The surgery was mentioned as having limited success. In the end I opted for a mouthpiece that does essentially the same thing as the surgery. Doctor said I was not a good candidate for it as I had too many events, but it was the only thing I could try. It didn't cure it, but helped much more than they thought it would. I would consider the surgery even if it wasn't a guaranteed cure.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2898464
03/12/21 02:38 PM
03/12/21 02:38 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
I use the CPAP and really didn't have a choice. I believe I was waking over 120X an hour according to the sleep center and I couldn't drive for more than 2 hours as I would just get exhausted. My uvuela had swelled to 2X the size from snoring and would fall across my airway and get stuck leading to waking up and freaking out until I could gulp some water to break it loose. Amazing what you can do(CPAP) when you have to. After 2 weeks, I loved the thing. Full mask and it would force my nasal passages open. I could actually breathe at night. My officemate had the surgery years ago. Liquid only diet for 2 months with mouth wired shut. For about 2-3 years afterwards he was good to go and losing weight from the diet helped a lot. He now has to use the CPAP despite the surgery. He has problems with it but only has the nose piece. I have found you can adjust the full face mask so it isn't that bad. Wierd things are you swallow and pressurize like you are under water. The mask will leak a little creating a "breeze" but I like air blowing on me anyhow. The wife tried the mask on for grins and said it was like having an Octopus stuck on her face. I imagine it is a bit like scuba. The air is blowing and you just need to get into a rythem with it.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2898498
03/12/21 04:43 PM
03/12/21 04:43 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I couldn't use a CPAP. It was painful and I couldn't sleep. The surgery was mentioned as having limited success. In the end I opted for a mouthpiece that does essentially the same thing as the surgery. Doctor said I was not a good candidate for it as I had too many events, but it was the only thing I could try. It didn't cure it, but helped much more than they thought it would. I would consider the surgery even if it wasn't a guaranteed cure.

I’m sorry but I gotta ask. How the heck was a Cpap to painful. I wear a Cpap nightly, my sister wears a Cpap, heck grandmothers wear a Cpap

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2898593
03/12/21 10:00 PM
03/12/21 10:00 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Been on a CPAP for 15 or more years. No complaints here. I would guess those having trouble may have had the wrong mask shruggy

CPAP.com offers a 30 day exchange period so you can try different ones. twocents beer

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2898628
03/13/21 12:02 AM
03/13/21 12:02 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I’m sorry but I gotta ask. How the heck was a Cpap to painful. I wear a Cpap nightly, my sister wears a Cpap, heck grandmothers wear a Cpap

Too much pressure on my upper lip.

I also cannot sleep on my back and cannot stay in one position all night.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2898651
03/13/21 07:02 AM
03/13/21 07:02 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline OP
master
MI_Custumz  Offline OP
master

Port Huron, Michigan
I use the nasal pillows and no issues with comfort. More of an inconvenience to wear it and take it on trips. I would love to go without it, but prefer to be able to breath at night and get some sleep. I will ask for all options at the sleep study and see what they can do. I figure if my airway was so restricted while awake, once the muscles relax they close right up. If I have to go back to a CPAP after surgery and recovery, I will probably just not do the surgery. I'm guessing the doctor will increase pressure to start off with.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2898671
03/13/21 09:18 AM
03/13/21 09:18 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

I figured you gave it a half hearted attempt. I use a full face mask that doesn’t touch my upper lip. I’m a side sleeper that turns at least once an hour. There are lots of different masks so something would work for you.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: MI_Custumz] #2898702
03/13/21 11:47 AM
03/13/21 11:47 AM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
I have severe sleep apnea (AHI, apnea-hypopnea index of 93) and I haven't missed a night with my CPAP since diagnosis 15 years ago.
The sleep doc told me that throat surgery helped 40% of the people to get a 40% improvement, and it's painful. What you're describing is even more invasive and painful... and it "might" help? Ya, sure. rolleyes I absolutely would NOT recommend that.

Finding the RIGHT mask and machine is important. I couldn't use straight pressure at 13 cm H20, had trouble exhaling against the pressure. But a C-Flex (backs off as you start to exhale, then comes back up gradually) works perfectly. Also needed the built-in humidifier. Some people require a BiPAP (backs off during entire exhalation, returns to full pressure on inhalation).
My facial hair requires a nasal pillow mask - the straps do not have to be very tight since the pillows expand with air pressure and make a good seal.

I agree with you that having to wear it every night is a bit tiresome, even after all this time. It's just another "personal item" on airplanes, which they have to let you bring in addition to your carryon. Anyway, it beats the heck out of not breathing! : up

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2898745
03/13/21 01:16 PM
03/13/21 01:16 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA

I figured you gave it a half hearted attempt. I use a full face mask that doesn’t touch my upper lip. I’m a side sleeper that turns at least once an hour. There are lots of different masks so something would work for you.

That's a condescending remark. No, I didn't give it a half-hearted attempt. I'd say a couple of months is enough. Until you walk in somebody else's shoes I'd suggest you stop with the judgmental attitude.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: DrCharles] #2898954
03/14/21 10:01 AM
03/14/21 10:01 AM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
[quote=DrCharles]I have severe sleep apnea (AHI, apnea-hypopnea index of 93) and I haven't missed a night with my CPAP since diagnosis 15 years ago.
The sleep doc told me that throat surgery helped 40% of the people to get a 40% improvement, and it's painful. What you're describing is even more invasive and painful... and it "might" help? Ya, sure. rolleyes I absolutely would NOT recommend that.

Finding the RIGHT mask and machine is important. I couldn't use straight pressure at 13 cm H20, had trouble exhaling against the pressure. But a C-Flex (backs off as you start to exhale, then comes back up gradually) works perfectly. Also needed the built-in humidifier. Some people require a BiPAP (backs off during entire exhalation, returns to full pressure on inhalation).
My facial hair requires a nasal pillow mask - the straps do not have to be very tight since the pillows expand with air pressure and make a good seal.

Same problem as I had. I'm at 14 and that is a lot of pressure. Somehow they figured out what I needed right off the bat. I love the CPAP so much I'd like to buy a spare machine just in case mine breaks. Took a nap yesterday without it and I could tell right off the bat that was a mistake.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: klunick] #2898975
03/14/21 11:09 AM
03/14/21 11:09 AM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

Mine was set at 10 and has been since around 2003 so I was kicking around having it upped some. When I got coronavirus I googled how to change the pressure on my model and jumped it up to 12. I told my doctor at my last checkup and he started laughing and told the nurse I modified my Cpap. Then he went on to say how smart that was.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2899210
03/14/21 10:29 PM
03/14/21 10:29 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
if anyone cares to check out a great website for cpap wearers, check this one out.

http://www.cpaptalk.com/CPAP-Sleep-Apnea-Forum.html?sid=ead0888d513fc0e6d3405046240c08e1

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2900051
03/17/21 12:53 PM
03/17/21 12:53 PM
Paducah, KY USA Earth
J
jcruse64 Offline
enthusiast
jcruse64  Offline
enthusiast
J

Paducah, KY USA Earth
Jim, I'd try to find a provider that can offer you more than one mask style to try, and could also try to "fit" you in their office.

I and my wife, dealt with me NOT dealing with it for a few years, to the point I'd scare her at least one night a week over stopping breathing. Climbing blood pressure, and waking up nearly every day with a pounding headache and throbbing neck, and I finally caved and tried it. Really glad I did, it has done wonders for me. I am a very restive sleeper, and go from side to side and on my back all through the night, always have been. I got the 6' hose, and this keeps me from disconnecting, and I rarely have any issues.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: jcruse64] #2900221
03/17/21 10:43 PM
03/17/21 10:43 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
Originally Posted by jcruse64
Jim, I'd try to find a provider that can offer you more than one mask style to try, and could also try to "fit" you in their office.

Good advice up

I got the 6' hose, and this keeps me from disconnecting, and I rarely have any issues.

I like to put the machine further away or under the bed to avoid listening to it. They also make 8' hose (and even longer if needed) which is perfect with our tall bed smile

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: DrCharles] #2900318
03/18/21 10:52 AM
03/18/21 10:52 AM
Mesa , Az
Jambbii Offline
mopar
Jambbii  Offline
mopar

Mesa , Az
I have had a CPAP for a few years and still experiment with different masks. Nothing is perfect for me but I deal with it. Better than feeling like garbage. The biggest issue for me was the adjusting the pressures. I wish the doctors would have showed me how to adjust the machine. My stomach would get pressurized every night but the #s looked good on their end. I sleep even better now that I can "tune" my CPAP with a simple search on the google machine.

70 Challenger
1960 Town Wagon P Pump 24v cummins project
06 Mega 3500 Drw 2wd
12 Durango R/T
18 Power Wagon
67 A100
Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: jcruse64] #2900563
03/18/21 10:04 PM
03/18/21 10:04 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA

I and my wife, dealt with me NOT dealing with it for a few years, to the point I'd scare her at least one night a week over stopping breathing. Climbing blood pressure, and waking up nearly every day with a pounding headache and throbbing neck, and I finally caved and tried it. Really glad I did, it has done wonders for me. I am a very restive sleeper, and go from side to side and on my back all through the night, always have been. I got the 6' hose, and this keeps me from disconnecting, and I rarely have any issues.

No reason to. The mouthpiece does the trick and I can sleep in any position. Cleaning it is also much easier than all the CPAP parts.

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2901105
03/20/21 03:23 PM
03/20/21 03:23 PM
Paducah, KY USA Earth
J
jcruse64 Offline
enthusiast
jcruse64  Offline
enthusiast
J

Paducah, KY USA Earth

No reason to. The mouthpiece does the trick and I can sleep in any position. Cleaning it is also much easier than all the CPAP parts.

Wait, what??? I'm supposed to clean something?!?!? smile

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: jcruse64] #2901195
03/20/21 09:39 PM
03/20/21 09:39 PM
Eyewa
330Scott Offline
master
330Scott  Offline
master

Eyewa
Are all you guys just talking about sleep apnea? What about regular old snoring? Do these CPAP gizmo's help with snoring?

Re: Jaw surgery/sleep apnea question???? [Re: 330Scott] #2901242
03/21/21 05:20 AM
03/21/21 05:20 AM
Casco, MI
Savoy1964 Offline
mopar
Savoy1964  Offline
mopar

Casco, MI
While using the cpap machine i do not snore. without it i will wake myself up along with anyone within ear shot. I have sleep apnea.

Last edited by Savoy1964; 03/21/21 05:21 AM.

2003 Dodge 3500 Diesel

1964 Plymouth Savoy White 2dr sdn. 512 stroked, Dominator, New Best 9.75 @ 138.50mph
2019 Challenger Scat Pack 1320 White Knuckle-K&N Cold air filter, Billit Oil catch can, drag radials stock 11.911 @ 114mph