G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by resqguy
You should never buy an extended warranty. They have huge margins for those that sell them, and there is a reason for that. I bought a Jeep back in 94 with a bumper to bumper warranty. The steering wheel hub fell off (before airbags) but since it fell off and didn't break - not covered. The steering damper failed at 13K miles - not covered because it is considered a normal wear and tear item. The final straw was a problem with the power windows. The wiring failed - again not covered. They covered the switch and the motor, not the wiring. I was able to cancel and get some of my money back.

I disagree. While extended warranties for most things aren't worth the money, a warranty for a vehicle is, especially the one sold by the manufacturer. You can't touch most repairs these days for less than $500-$1000 so 3-5 trips to the dealership for repairs more than pays for that $3000 warranty. And if your vehicle has all the fancy options and features then it's a no brainer. I've seen some audio head units costing upwards of $4000. Just read the warranty to know what is covered before you buy it.
You can also shop around for a warranty, you don't have to buy it from the selling dealer.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: resqguy] #2895011
03/02/21 09:51 PM
03/02/21 09:51 PM
Central Pa
M
moparjim79 Offline
pro stock
moparjim79  Offline
pro stock
M

Central Pa
Originally Posted by resqguy
You should never buy an extended warranty. They have huge margins for those that sell them, and there is a reason for that. I bought a Jeep back in 94 with a bumper to bumper warranty. The steering wheel hub fell off (before airbags) but since it fell off and didn't break - not covered. The steering damper failed at 13K miles - not covered because it is considered a normal wear and tear item. The final straw was a problem with the power windows. The wiring failed - again not covered. They covered the switch and the motor, not the wiring. I was able to cancel and get some of my money back.

Going to disagree based off my experiences. The last 4 vehicles I've purchased all were bought with an extended warranty. It paid for itself very quickly(sadly), all vehicles were Mopars.

I've always been a Mopar guy, but I too will probably be done with modern mopars after my current ride expires.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: moparjim79] #2895062
03/02/21 11:51 PM
03/02/21 11:51 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline

I also disagree on not getting extended warranty. We've gotten use out of them and never had any hassle. It's a gamble getting them but the warranty is usually a fraction of the cost of a rebuilt engine or transmission is and especially with all the electronics and higher hourly rates these days repair bills can add up fast.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: 5thAve] #2895183
03/03/21 12:48 PM
03/03/21 12:48 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Here is some input from an ex dealership employee. Parts for me. The factory extended warranty is the way to go, but shop around or just deal direct with the factory as the dealer can sometimes pad the price for additional profit. Some do, some don't. For sure you need to be informed of what is and what is not covered. Getting the repairs done at the selling dealer sometimes gives you leverage on issues needing to be dealt with. Some dealers just plain blow on customer service so be prepared to search one out who will help. When you but that extended service warranty contract, make sure it is the FACTORY ONE, NOT AN AFTERMARKET CONTRACT. Some F&I departments get sneaky and will sell you an aftermarket contract because they make more profit on it. Stay away from those like the plague. All you will get out of them is the happy finger. When you run into difficulties getting something taken care of, make sure the contract shows that the item is covered. If it is and you are getting nowhere with the dealer, look on the back of your owners manual or in the owners portfolio packet. There is a number to call the mothership to complain about what's going on. Sometimes the coverage problem is just the dealer but there are times when the issue is the district service manager trying to make his/her monthly numbers look good to the higher ups. When I was working parts, you knew there was an issue with something by the frequency of repairs or replacement of a given item. Like the 604/518/618 trannies, 4.0 liter Jeep exhaust manifolds etc. The district service managers would put dealers on restriction because the repaired/replaced too many of something. I worked at a dealer in the mid 90's where the other two dealers in the immediate area were put on restriction because of the frequency of repair/replace 604 trannies and they referred customers to ours and then we got put on restriction. How about confessing that there is an issue with the item Mopar? Anyhow, call that number, have all your info ready and don't let up. One time I "slipped up" and gave a customer the district managers number to them since they were getting nowhere at the dealer due to the district manager. That made it so he couldn't just hide. He didn't like that phone call but took care of it. When he had to deal directly with the customer as opposed to letting someone else deal with it he sang a different tune. Be prepared to get mean.

Carl Kessel
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: basketcase] #2895190
03/03/21 01:08 PM
03/03/21 01:08 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Online happy
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Online Happy
master

Land 'O Lakes
Originally Posted by basketcase
Chryslers haven't been made for quite a while now. Our beloved Corporation passed away long time ago.Raped and pillaged too many times.

Chrysler Corporation was DOA in 1998....hasn't been an American company since then. As basketcase said...been raped and passed around like a cheap [censored] ever since. twocents

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: CKessel] #2895308
03/03/21 05:51 PM
03/03/21 05:51 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by CKessel
Here is some input from an ex dealership employee. Parts for me. The factory extended warranty is the way to go, but shop around or just deal direct with the factory as the dealer can sometimes pad the price for additional profit. Some do, some don't. For sure you need to be informed of what is and what is not covered. Getting the repairs done at the selling dealer sometimes gives you leverage on issues needing to be dealt with. Some dealers just plain blow on customer service so be prepared to search one out who will help. When you but that extended service warranty contract, make sure it is the FACTORY ONE, NOT AN AFTERMARKET CONTRACT. Some F&I departments get sneaky and will sell you an aftermarket contract because they make more profit on it. Stay away from those like the plague. All you will get out of them is the happy finger. When you run into difficulties getting something taken care of, make sure the contract shows that the item is covered. If it is and you are getting nowhere with the dealer, look on the back of your owners manual or in the owners portfolio packet. There is a number to call the mothership to complain about what's going on. Sometimes the coverage problem is just the dealer but there are times when the issue is the district service manager trying to make his/her monthly numbers look good to the higher ups. When I was working parts, you knew there was an issue with something by the frequency of repairs or replacement of a given item. Like the 604/518/618 trannies, 4.0 liter Jeep exhaust manifolds etc. The district service managers would put dealers on restriction because the repaired/replaced too many of something. I worked at a dealer in the mid 90's where the other two dealers in the immediate area were put on restriction because of the frequency of repair/replace 604 trannies and they referred customers to ours and then we got put on restriction. How about confessing that there is an issue with the item Mopar? Anyhow, call that number, have all your info ready and don't let up. One time I "slipped up" and gave a customer the district managers number to them since they were getting nowhere at the dealer due to the district manager. That made it so he couldn't just hide. He didn't like that phone call but took care of it. When he had to deal directly with the customer as opposed to letting someone else deal with it he sang a different tune. Be prepared to get mean.

Pretty much what I stated but the DSM and the factory have nothing to do with the service contract side. Service contract repairs do not count against the dealer for any reason, totally seperate. There really is no reason for a dealer to decline a repair covered by the service contract, it's money in the bank.

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Guitar Jones] #2895566
03/04/21 11:28 AM
03/04/21 11:28 AM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
As I remember, service contract work pays the least, regular warranty is a step up with customer pay being the highest. The techs would really complain when the repair was a service contract as the labor rates were less, the labor times were cut from even regular warranty. If you had a creative writer or service manager, they could get some of the labor time back so the tech and department got hosed less. Its like being stuck between squabbling children that don't want to play together. You may have to get testy with the mothership on the contract as its theirs and they need to stand behind it and you are not going to be the referee between the mothership and the dealer. You are the customer that bought it, they sold it to you and they need to stand behind it otherwise its media and possible legal time.

Last edited by CKessel; 03/04/21 11:35 AM.

Carl Kessel
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: CKessel] #2895693
03/04/21 03:30 PM
03/04/21 03:30 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

As I remember, service contract work pays the least, regular warranty is a step up with customer pay being the highest. The techs would really complain when the repair was a service contract as the labor rates were less, the labor times were cut from even regular warranty. If you had a creative writer or service manager, they could get some of the labor time back so the tech and department got hosed less. Its like being stuck between squabbling children that don't want to play together. You may have to get testy with the mothership on the contract as its theirs and they need to stand behind it and you are not going to be the referee between the mothership and the dealer. You are the customer that bought it, they sold it to you and they need to stand behind it otherwise its media and possible legal time.

Chryslers service contracts pay the same as regular warranty, all the same labor op codes. Aftermarket warranties will pay Chilton, Motors, All Data or factory warranty times. Depends on the company but nobody pays less than regular factory warranty.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Guitar Jones] #2895759
03/04/21 06:02 PM
03/04/21 06:02 PM
Los Osos, Ca
C
CKessel Offline
mopar
CKessel  Offline
mopar
C

Los Osos, Ca
Ok. Last time I worked at a dealer was 04. Looks like they changed then. I just remember the complaining while I worked the tech's counter.

Carl Kessel
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: CKessel] #2896467
03/06/21 02:06 PM
03/06/21 02:06 PM
S.E.Ohio
Magnumguy Offline
I Live Here
Magnumguy  Offline
I Live Here

S.E.Ohio
this post reminded me of a story. I deliver commercial parts for Advance. Recently one customer had a nice (relatively speaking) '18 Chevy Silverado. Ball joints SHOT at 30 some thousand miles. Local dealer says 'normal wear" and won't warranty them. I know it's 3 yrs old but the truck looked basically new. No wonder folks buy "foreign" cars nowadays.

"Multiple Magnum owner since 1978!!"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146952895354657/
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Magnumguy] #2896540
03/06/21 05:32 PM
03/06/21 05:32 PM
New Jersey
P
Powerflow Offline
pro stock
Powerflow  Offline
pro stock
P

New Jersey

A few years ago, our friends bought a used BMW from the local BMW dealer. He wanted to sell them an aftermarket extended warranty and refused to sell them the official BMW warranty. I told them to shop the warranty at another BMW dealer. The BMW warranty was actually a lot less money than the local dealer wanted for his aftermarket one. They bought the car and then bought the warranty afterwards from the other dealer. Their salesman wasn't too pleased about how it worked out.....

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Powerflow] #2896614
03/06/21 09:54 PM
03/06/21 09:54 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
It's threads like this that make me want to stick with my old cars. I've looked for years at newer vehicles and have just never pulled the trigger. I've also heard stories like the above for years and they make me question if I want a newer vehicle. I've really been looking at newer Rams, F150's and 3-6 year old Chevy's (the newer body style is butt ugly).

Just made a 400 mile trip today to the Indy swap in my 98 Chevy 1500. Clicked over 198,000 on the trip. Other than normal wear items, I've never replaced anything on the truck in the 5 years I've owned it. Paid $1600 for it and have put over 32k miles on it.

FYI- I'm a car who*e, I own Mopars, Fords, Mercurys and Chevy's. My newest car is 23 years old and they all serve me great and are all relatively easy to work on. None have had any major issues either.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Magnumguy] #2896653
03/07/21 12:34 AM
03/07/21 12:34 AM
5thAve Offline
5thAve  Offline

Originally Posted by Magnumguy
this post reminded me of a story. I deliver commercial parts for Advance. Recently one customer had a nice (relatively speaking) '18 Chevy Silverado. Ball joints SHOT at 30 some thousand miles. Local dealer says 'normal wear" and won't warranty them. I know it's 3 yrs old but the truck looked basically new. No wonder folks buy "foreign" cars nowadays.

My parents have a Ford Fusion that one of the control arms was replaced not too long ago because of excessive ball joint play so not all dealers/North American makes are bad. Warranty wise anyway. No comment on ball joint being bad so soon.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: parksr5] #2896679
03/07/21 08:37 AM
03/07/21 08:37 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
Originally Posted by parksr5
It's threads like this that make me want to stick with my old cars. I've looked for years at newer vehicles and have just never pulled the trigger. I've also heard stories like the above for years and they make me question if I want a newer vehicle. I've really been looking at newer Rams, F150's and 3-6 year old Chevy's (the newer body style is butt ugly).

Just made a 400 mile trip today to the Indy swap in my 98 Chevy 1500. Clicked over 198,000 on the trip. Other than normal wear items, I've never replaced anything on the truck in the 5 years I've owned it. Paid $1600 for it and have put over 32k miles on it.

FYI- I'm a car who*e, I own Mopars, Fords, Mercurys and Chevy's. My newest car is 23 years old and they all serve me great and are all relatively easy to work on. None have had any major issues either.

Seems the gold standard across many brands is for the dealer to say "Its normal thus its NOT covered." For example- its normal for a low mileage still under warranty engine to consume 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. And if a malfunction happens to the majority of the same model- the dealership has made this a legal definition of normal simply because if they all display this same malfunction- its normal.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: 2boltmain] #2896689
03/07/21 09:27 AM
03/07/21 09:27 AM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by 2boltmain

Seems the gold standard across many brands is for the dealer to say "Its normal thus its NOT covered." For example- its normal for a low mileage still under warranty engine to consume 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. And if a malfunction happens to the majority of the same model- the dealership has made this a legal definition of normal simply because if they all display this same malfunction- its normal.

What you guys need to understand is that it's not the dealer that decides what is covered and what is not, it's the manufacturer. They have become hyper involved in warranty repairs. These days you have to send photos, make a phone call or request authorization to make numerous repairs to a vehicle. It has gotten pretty crazy and time consuming. It was just one of the reasons I decided to retire early, the amount of documentation we had to do was making it harder and harder to make a living. At the end they were starting to send inspectors out at random. So you tear a car down, then wait days for an authorization or an inspector. In many cases the vehicle can't be moved after that so it sits there tying up a stall that I couldn't use to make money. Frustrating to say the least.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Guitar Jones] #2896719
03/07/21 11:33 AM
03/07/21 11:33 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
up BEST RESPONSE in this thread:

What you guys need to understand is that it's not the dealer that decides what is covered and what is not, it's the manufacturer. They have become hyper involved in warranty repairs. These days you have to send photos, make a phone call or request authorization to make numerous repairs to a vehicle. It has gotten pretty crazy and time consuming. It was just one of the reasons I decided to retire early, the amount of documentation we had to do was making it harder and harder to make a living. At the end they were starting to send inspectors out at random. So you tear a car down, then wait days for an authorization or an inspector. In many cases the vehicle can't be moved after that so it sits there tying up a stall that I couldn't use to make money. Frustrating to say the least.

If it were me I would ask the dealership for the "warranty claim number" and any information concerning that claim. Then I would call the manufacture and/or the extended warranty provider and verify or request their response to the claim. As GJ noted sometimes the warranty claim might never have been submitted as the dealer doesn't want to go through all the hassle and down time with all that is involved. Sometimes the manufacture's customer service will step in to avoid internet and social media threads like this one........I did say "sometimes" wink Get the warranty denied report and warranty claim number and pick up the phone callme to the people where the buck stops and that is NOT the local dealership's repair shop or the dealership at all.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: CKessel] #2896754
03/07/21 01:23 PM
03/07/21 01:23 PM
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Ok. Last time I worked at a dealer was 04. Looks like they changed then. I just remember the complaining while I worked the tech's counter.

The factory warranty times and factory service contracts have always had the same labor rates. This goes back to the early 80's where they gained popularity.

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Guitar Jones] #2896768
03/07/21 02:11 PM
03/07/21 02:11 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
That's good info.

What I was pointing out is that the major allure of a new vehicle to me is piece of mind and not having to worry about issues for a while because well, it's a new car. What I found is, there are many I've known with new vehicles that have more issues than what I do with 23+ year old vehicles. To pay high 20's to high 40's for a new or newer vehicle and have more issues than a 23 year old $1600 beater is just unacceptable. Regardless of who's behind the warranty issues is irrelevant to me. Having to deal with faulty ball joints, etc. after 30k miles and after the money was spent is not something I would be happy with. Having to deal with hassles and arguing with people over warranty work after the breaks is just ridiculous. Don't know if the potential drama is worth it. That's all I was saying.

Last edited by parksr5; 03/07/21 08:25 PM.
Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: parksr5] #2896854
03/07/21 07:43 PM
03/07/21 07:43 PM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

That's good info.

What I was pointing out is that the major allure of a new vehicle to me is piece of mind and not having to worry about issues for a while because well, it's a new car. What I found is, there are many I've known with new vehicles that have more issues than what I do with 23+ year old vehicles. To pay high 20's to high 40's for a new or newer vehicle and have more issues than a 23 year old $1600 beater is just unacceptable. Regardless of who's behind the warranty issues is irrelevant to me. Having to deal with faulty ball joints, etc. after 30k miles and after the money was spent is not something I would be unhappy with. Having to deal with hassles and arguing with people over warranty work after the breaks is just ridiculous. Don't know if the potential drama is worth it. That's all I was saying.

You will get no argument from me on that, I love my old trucks better than the newer one, however I don't mind driving a rattling, smelly, noisy, wind and water leaking old truck with no radio or navigation system. Other people do. laugh2 They also don't want to have to have work on, tinker with, or deal with unavailable or crappy replacement parts, I get it, but that's just us. beer

Re: Well I doubt I'll ever buy a new Chrysler again. [Re: Guitar Jones] #2896995
03/08/21 06:53 AM
03/08/21 06:53 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
We have a Jeep we have a couple years left to pay it off and two that have lifetime warranties. When the need arises for a new vehicle, we might actually lease. Money wise, it's almost always better to buy. But since the lifetime warranty isn't available any more, we are considering a lease.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3