03/04/21 09:35 PM
03/04/21 09:35 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
I spent a LOT of time in & around the Phoenix area from 1984-1992 & have a bunch of great memories. People, places, & businesses. Great restaurants, junkyards, etc. We were in the rust-free parts business so we regularly hit all the junkyards. (Hoctor's Hidden Valley, ACJ, Art Coffer's Chrysler Parts, 75th Ave. Auto Wrecking - John Buss owner & friend, McIntyre, K&D, etc.). Remember RPM (Rare Performance Motors) in Scottsdale?

My gosh we LOVED eating at Bill Johnson's. There was also a GREAT Schezwan restaurant called Schezwan Gardens around Thomas & 36th Street - best I've ever had. Guggy's Grill, Coco's, etc.

One place I was trying to remember last night was a lumber store on Broadway - I think there were a few of them - it was a small chain. Do any of you remember the name of those stores? Driving me crazy & I can't find anything online.

Last edited by Sunroofcuda; 03/04/21 09:36 PM.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2895889
03/04/21 11:53 PM
03/04/21 11:53 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee
Just a shot in the dark was it Terry lumber by any chance? we had a bunch of them around here, but they are all gone now, although they may have just changed the name several times over the last 25 years.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: SV_MOPARS] #2895913
03/05/21 01:05 AM
03/05/21 01:05 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I bought 5 second gen Barracuda's from Art just before he closed down, loved going to that place! Still have one 68 Fastback, but before I went to pick it up someone torched out the right rear frame rail! realmad

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: SV_MOPARS] #2895978
03/05/21 10:47 AM
03/05/21 10:47 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by SV_MOPARS
Just a shot in the dark was it Terry lumber by any chance? we had a bunch of them around here, but they are all gone now, although they may have just changed the name several times over the last 25 years.

Nope - wasn't Terry Lumber. I still can't remember the name of it. I was looking to see if I had a carpenter's pencil or apron from there last night - gotta do more digging. The store was around maybe 12th Ave. & on the S. side of Broadway. There was also a grocery store in that area - about a mile South of Broadway that had a great diner in it too - we used to get lunch there pretty often.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2896157
03/05/21 05:08 PM
03/05/21 05:08 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
Wasn't "Mr. Good Parts" located in Phoenix? I bought a rust free used pair of full inner/outer rear quarter panels for my 300 from that company...in 1986, had them shipped to my house.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2896209
03/05/21 07:43 PM
03/05/21 07:43 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerLuva
Wasn't "Mr. Good Parts" located in Phoenix? I bought a rust free used pair of full inner/outer rear quarter panels for my 300 from that company...in 1986, had them shipped to my house.

Yep - the guy's name was Brad Stoler. He had no connection with us, but he came along well after we were underway. He got crumbs. Our company was Rare Iron Co.

Come on - still need the name of that lumber yard! (I have to look in another spot for one of their pencils.....)

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2896308
03/05/21 11:22 PM
03/05/21 11:22 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Well, I just found out tonight the lumber store - Lumberjack.

I got in touch with an old friend that we rented property from back in the 80's & early 90's - he owned one of the wrecking yards down on junkyard row. I got in touch with him through Facebook. Anyway, mystery solved! One less thing to bug me! Also, he said Art Coffer passed away about 5 years ago, but his son Dave was still around, but out of the business as far as he knew. Hoctor's Hidden Valley in Maricopa is still going however - Jeff Hoctor still runs that place. I thought they were gone long ago, but glad to hear they are still going. The dad - Don Hoctor, passed maybe 10-ish years ago.

So anyway, any "old timers" from the Phoenix area should appreciate this.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2896395
03/06/21 09:50 AM
03/06/21 09:50 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Well, , , Hoctor's Hidden Valley in Maricopa is still going however - Jeff Hoctor still runs that place. I thought they were gone long ago, but glad to hear they are still going. The dad - Don Hoctor, passed maybe 10-ish years ago.

Been in the PHX area now 25 years and never aware of this place. During my 13 year resto when I needed a specific bolt or two I went to Desert Valley Auto, next to the Deer Valley Airport. Last year they were forced to move, guessing the land owner was looking to develop the land for big $$$. DVAP then moved everything to Black Canyon and a real PITA to get to.

Glad I saw this post and will have to give Hidden Valley a look one day.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: AAR#2] #2896462
03/06/21 01:43 PM
03/06/21 01:43 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by AAR#2
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Well, , , Hoctor's Hidden Valley in Maricopa is still going however - Jeff Hoctor still runs that place. I thought they were gone long ago, but glad to hear they are still going. The dad - Don Hoctor, passed maybe 10-ish years ago.

Been in the PHX area now 25 years and never aware of this place. During my 13 year resto when I needed a specific bolt or two I went to Desert Valley Auto, next to the Deer Valley Airport. Last year they were forced to move, guessing the land owner was looking to develop the land for big $$$. DVAP then moved everything to Black Canyon and a real PITA to get to.

Glad I saw this post and will have to give Hidden Valley a look one day.

Hidden Valley was THE place back in the 80's. There were a few yards out off of Deer Valley Rd. (that was pretty far North back then - close to where civilization ended) - they were all East of 17. I remember getting a pair of mint Rallye doors off a '72 Charger from one of them. I remember Bell Rd. & Thunderbird - I think Thunderbird was pretty much the farthest North for civilization, then there was basically nothing until you got to Flagstaff.

Desert Valley was an offshoot from a big family-run tow-in yard down on Buckeye if I remember correctly. They'd take anything "old" up there & just stash the old stuff. In the early 90's is when they opened that yard & started selling the old parts for big bucks. We got more good stuff from yards in TX., NM, CA, & remote yards in AZ. than around the Phoenix area. Phoenix was constantly heavily picked over - Tucson too.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2896655
03/07/21 12:47 AM
03/07/21 12:47 AM
Almost, South Dakota
B
BEELINE Offline
enthusiast
BEELINE  Offline
enthusiast
B

Almost, South Dakota
I lived in Cottonwood for a couple years in the late 80s and found a lot of parts at a small salvage yard on the outskirts of Clarkdale but can’t remember the name.
There was also a large building on the outskirts of Clarkdale that looked to be some kind of mill or manufacturing plant in the early 1900s that was packed full of 60s and older cars covered in dust. A friend took me there one time and the gentleman that owned it was an older guy and at the time nothing was for sale. I can’t remember the names of this guy either.

Re: Old Defunct Businesses in Phoenix, AZ. [Re: Rhinodart] #2897650
03/10/21 10:00 AM
03/10/21 10:00 AM
Mesa , Az
Jambbii Offline
mopar
Jambbii  Offline
mopar

Mesa , Az
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I bought 5 second gen Barracuda's from Art just before he closed down, loved going to that place! Still have one 68 Fastback, but before I went to pick it up someone torched out the right rear frame rail! realmad

Last thing I grabbed from Art was some 11 3/4 inch brakes for my challenger. I think I was 17 or 18 at the time. Used to hit up that place all the time! I think ( I could be wrong) but a lot of places sold when steel prices went sky high.

70 Challenger
1960 Town Wagon P Pump 24v cummins project
06 Mega 3500 Drw 2wd
12 Durango R/T
18 Power Wagon
67 A100