10/31/20 02:42 PM
10/31/20 02:42 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline OP
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline OP
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
Installed a Proforged pitman and idler arms, and the drag link looks like it's shifted at least an inch from center. There's no master spline, so you install for best fit, I guess. With steering wheel straight, master straight up on the box, judging by where the inner tie rods sit in relation to the torsion bars, there's about a one inch difference. Pulling the pitman and moving it one spline over moves the tie rods exactly opposite of what they were before. Just eyeballing the spindles, I need to make one tie rod half an inch longer than the other to point the tires straight. Is this offset normal from the factory, or using regular parts like Moog, and I only noticed because I had to index the pitman myself? Would this cause any handling problems one could feel or notice?

Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: 375inStroke] #2840018
11/01/20 07:26 AM
11/01/20 07:26 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Just for fun, I'd drop the linkage and cycle the box lock to lock and verify it is in the center of travel. It may be that the master on the box is off.. It may be that the pitman has the splines clocked wrong. With the box truly centered, the pitman should point straight back.

1/2" difference in tie rods wouldn't worry me too much

Last edited by ruderunner; 11/01/20 07:28 AM.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: ruderunner] #2841244
11/03/20 01:15 PM
11/03/20 01:15 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline OP
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline OP
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
Steering wheel and steering box straight up, everything shifted right.  Move the pitman over one spline shifts everything left of center the same amount.  I don't have a small sector shaft pitman, so I guess I'll try this for now.  I'm just concerned about my bump steer.  If the quick ratio feels good to me, I'll measure it and try to correct it, but this has been in my driveway too long.

Driver's side inner tie rod shifted 1.25" right of the LCA pivot.

[Linked Image]

Looking straight back, steering box sector shaft in relationship to the pitman arm ball socket.

[Linked Image]

Passenger side shifted over .25" right.

[Linked Image]

Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: 375inStroke] #2841301
11/03/20 02:51 PM
11/03/20 02:51 PM
North Dakota
Azzkikrcuda Offline
top fuel
Azzkikrcuda  Offline
top fuel

North Dakota
I installed a new Proforged pitman arm on my Cuda and have the same problem. I have not got around to readjusting the tie rods yet to straighten out the steering wheel. Not an isolated problem, Put a new Moog pitman arm on my 96 Silverado and the wheel is off quite a bit now.

The only Carbs I care about are under the hood!
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: 375inStroke] #2841306
11/03/20 03:16 PM
11/03/20 03:16 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I suggest that you also install a smaller diameter steering wheel to really help notice the slightly quicker fast ratio... at least the TUFF steering wheel (OE = 15" diameter, Flaming River = 14" diameter... I'm pretty sure its the Flaming River TUFF wheel that has the 14" diameter... GRANT's TUFF wheel is 15" ). Otherwise, it won't make a lot of difference, just slightly noticeable. Better yet, consider a 13.5" or smaller... I use a 11.5" diameter and the steering is very nice and truly fast responding! Don't be concerned about any extra effort.. our power steering is more than well assisted... be certain to use ONLY a Saginaw pump... the Federal pumps cannot keep up with fast-acting steering response.. it'll literally go away (no power assist!) under quick action, especially L-R-L-R...

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2842641
11/06/20 05:45 PM
11/06/20 05:45 PM
Seattle, WA
375inStroke Offline OP
Special needs person
375inStroke  Offline OP
Special needs person

Seattle, WA
Is this an autocross thing? I've never done that. My only racing is on road courses with mostly big, fast turns, and the stock steering ratio felt fine to me in that environment. I made a lot of changes, so the car feels totally different now, but you're right about the ratio. I haven't noticed it being much faster.

Last edited by 375inStroke; 11/06/20 05:57 PM.
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: 375inStroke] #2843962
11/09/20 12:19 PM
11/09/20 12:19 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Is this an autocross thing?... definitely helps! Road course?... helps as well! As per my suggestion, the combination of the longer arms (pitman and idler), with a smaller diameter steering wheel.. is where you'll truly notice the difference... and the overall result will be very satisfying.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: Mopar Mitch] #2859155
12/12/20 11:00 PM
12/12/20 11:00 PM
Houston, Texas
F
FastOrange Offline
mopar
FastOrange  Offline
mopar
F

Houston, Texas
Not trying to completely hijack your thread, But, I have been having similar issues trying to align my 1970 Challenger. Originally a power steering 318 car. At some point years ago, I swapped to a manual box and the longer stock steering column. Then I purchased a quick ratio box (used, cant remember which brand, flaming river maybe? Been to many years ago). I also swapped pitman arms at some point years ago. Don't remember which one I have now, but it was a stock replacement from O'reilly I believe. I also added an aftermarket steering column to gearbox coupler. I have fully adjustable upper control arms to boot. I'm doing my own alignment but man, I'm having issues. Starting all over from scratch with suspension height etc.... I'm wondering if the pitman arm might be incorrect for my suspension? I'm about tired of wiping up the garage floor with the shirt on my back! Ackerman angle seems to be off. Also, I can't seem to center the steering wheel (stock) itself. If I turn the steering wheel lock to lock and go back to center, its not even close to being centered. I have my own turntables and alignment tools. I can't remember, but do you or anyone else know if the steering wheel has a master spline? How about the steering box and steering column splines? Do they have a master spline? I honestly cant remember. Worst case I take it back apart and look at all the splines. I think I will just copy and paste this onto a new thread.

Last edited by FastOrange; 12/12/20 11:01 PM.
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: FastOrange] #2859409
12/13/20 02:35 PM
12/13/20 02:35 PM
WA
P
pro451bee Offline
super stock
pro451bee  Offline
super stock
P

WA
Use a shim under gear box mount to shift every thing closer to center. Thats how the factory corrected for tolerance stack.

Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: pro451bee] #2867215
12/31/20 10:14 PM
12/31/20 10:14 PM
Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Magnum Offline
master
Magnum  Offline
master

Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Originally Posted by pro451bee
Use a shim under gear box mount to shift every thing closer to center. Thats how the factory corrected for tolerance stack.

Are you suggesting moving it over or angling it?

Sounds like this Proforged pitman is not made correctly. If this came to me as a repair for a driver with bias tires. I'd probably send it out the door with one tie rod assembly 1/2" longer and the other side 1/2" shorter.

Anything else, yes I would want this all equal and centered. Compensating for these inferior parts just make me frustrated with the junk they sell for these cars.

Does a stock pitman arm center the centerlink?

69 Super Bee, 93 Mustang LX, 04 Allure Super
Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: Magnum] #2867506
01/01/21 01:33 PM
01/01/21 01:33 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Magnum
Originally Posted by pro451bee

Are you suggesting moving it over or angling it?

Sounds like this Proforged pitman is not made correctly. If this came to me as a repair for a driver with bias tires. I'd probably send it out the door with one tie rod assembly 1/2" longer and the other side 1/2" shorter.

Anything else, yes I would want this all equal and centered. Compensating for these inferior parts just make me frustrated with the junk they sell for these cars.

Does a stock pitman arm center the centerlink?

I think I would cut a new master spline in the arm before I sent out something with unequal length tie rod assemblies, doing that also affects center to lock turn numbers and you will have a different turning radius, left to right.

Re: Proforged fast ratio pitman offsets drag link [Re: Sniper] #2890930
02/20/21 11:11 AM
02/20/21 11:11 AM
ILL
G
Greentween Offline
enthusiast
Greentween  Offline
enthusiast
G

ILL
That is a common question with the Proforged fast ratio arm. There is no master key in the spline. When the steering wheel and power box are all on center, the pitman arm spline is off by half a spline. Just like you describe above. Mine was same. I adjusted the Tie rods accordingly. The steering still has the same number of turns left to right. Only drawback is visual difference in tie rod length left side to right side. I haven't seen anyone point out what other issue there would be other than visual.