02/19/21 07:12 PM
02/19/21 07:12 PM
Byron, NY
W.I.N. Racing Offline
top fuel
W.I.N. Racing  Offline
top fuel

Byron, NY
Not that this is the smartest thing to do but...my 36 foot goose enclosed goes down the road at 12-13K lbs and I am perfectly comfortable doing 80-85 one hand on the wheel , lane changes are effortless, my 53 foot goose is at 18-19k and I slow down a little but still an absolute effortless pull. a 28 foot bumper pull although power wise is effortless the bucking and lane change require more attention to detail... my point being if you are going to do any distance hauling, get the goose.
But to Randy's question, If you can convert it, safely do so I don't think you will regret it.

'01 P1500, Blown/Inj BAE,/Veney ,Bruno/CS2,Dana 60
'01 Dodge 3500 S Cummins Auto, Fresh air kit, 4" Exhaust,
'05 Dodge Magnum R/T - Too Much to list
'60 Willys CJ5
'01 International LPX - Project,DT466, Allison
'64 Plymouth Valiant, Inj 528 Hemi, 2spd
Re: Trailer Q: 5th wheel to Goose [Re: Dragula] #2940534
07/06/21 02:30 PM
07/06/21 02:30 PM
(Central) PA
Runner2go Offline
I Live Here
Runner2go  Offline
I Live Here

(Central) PA
Originally Posted by Dragula
Can a 5th wheel trailer be converted to a goose neck trailer easily?

I was at a dealer a few weeks ago and while I was there a guy pulled in with a ram with a fixed mount gooseneck ball in the bed. He had just purchased a 40ft toy hauler 5th wheel camper. He slapped this adapter onto the 5th wheel king pin in about 5-10min, hooked the rig up and left with it. I have no idea if he planned to use this set up full time or if he was going to replace the entire 5th wheel king pin on the camper with a gooseneck hitch after he got it home. I do know that he said he was ONLY going to tow it with the gooseneck ball because they go out in the wilderness with 4-wheelers and the gooseneck is more forgiving of uneven ground than a 5th wheel. Especially when trying to disconnect or hook it up the camper.

When we were camper shopping I decided I didn't want 5th wheel rails permanently mounted in my bed.
So I bought a Curt Gooseneck under bed hitch (similar to the BW hideaway) and a Curt 5th wheel adapter that slides down into it when you pull the ball out. I heavy sob, but you can pull it out in 2min and have a flat bed again. Any 5th wheel hitch works in the rails of the adapter... but it is weight limited to 20k lbs.
Curt X5 adapter , Double Lock EZr Gooseneck

So after I bought all that stuff, "The Wife" picked a new camper that is "technically" puts my 2500 over weight limits. With the firestone red airbags it would pull it all day long & not squat, but with the pin weight of the camper plus the added weight of the gooseneck+adaptor+hitch... the truck would be sitting around 9800 lbs (9k gvwr)... I didn't feel like being held "at fault" should we get in an accident some day... So I went south and bought a rust free 2004 3500 dually. It has a set of Reese rails in it already, & since the holes are already in the bed I'm not taking it out to swap in the gooseneck set up.
I month ago I had a plan & a truck I trust to go anywhere... now I have a gooseneck hitch and a 5th wheel adapter sitting on the floor without a home, & looking at selling a rust free truck I love & trust... while hoping the new one is just as reliable.
I guess that's why some guys stay single. whistling

IMG_3855.JPGIMG_3858.JPG
Page 2 of 2 1 2