02/10/21 02:36 AM
02/10/21 02:36 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
My parents fridge is from the 80s and keeps going. Several people have said it should be replaced over the years yet they've gone through several while the old GE keeps going. My fridge is newer but my stove is from the 60s.

I've gone through 2 fridges in my shop now. The current one is a side by side with water dispenser and ice maker. Hopefully it lasts a while...

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: not_a_charger] #2886187
02/10/21 08:39 AM
02/10/21 08:39 AM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by SomeCarGuy
A buddies wife is in the family furniture store business. She gets up at 2-3am to buy whatever she can from a distributor that releases them at that time. It’s been tight but they do get things regularly doing that.

We ordered new furniture on 7/4/2020. Received it in November. 2 of the pieces had incorrect trim. Replacements were ordered the next day, and we were told we'd receive them "probably in April."

I live in a town known for building furniture. One of my buddies is a materials purchaser for a factory. Apparently, the material used for the masks is the same material used in the furniture business to cover the bottoms of sofas & chairs so they're constantly hunting down alternatives to use. They've had shortages on other building materials as well. He also said they had record orders last year & they're backlog is outrageous.

They can't build them as fast as usual at time when orders are through the roof!

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: 73DAD] #2886288
02/10/21 12:09 PM
02/10/21 12:09 PM
RI Deep in the rust belt
chargervert Offline
I Live Here
chargervert  Offline
I Live Here

RI Deep in the rust belt
Bought a new dryer the other day and the guy said to my wife, where are we delivering it to, my wife said you it's going in the back of that truck right there. The last time I had them deliver an appliance, the delivery guys made comments about some of the things that they saw in the house, and the next day two unsavory characters showed up at the door. My wife went to the door,but didn't open it,and told them to leave and that she was on the phone with the police right now! They left! Be careful about who you let in your home!

Last edited by chargervert; 02/10/21 12:10 PM.

70 Charger R/T SE 472 Hemi 70 Charger R/T convertible 70 Charger R/T V Code Sixpack 69 Charger R/T SE Sunroofcar 68 Charger 383 68 Charger 318 71 Charger R/T 70 Challenger convertible 71 Challenger convertible 71 Cuda 340 09 Challenger R/T Classic
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: chargervert] #2886351
02/10/21 02:19 PM
02/10/21 02:19 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
a couple of years ago, our microwave wouldn't heat any more.
we liked the brand and it's features, so we got another one. [this thing had lasted 8yrs !]
as i NEVER throw anything away, i gutted the old one and kept anything that worked. [like the control, the plate, the plate spinning motor, etc]
i guess i can fix this thing for a little while............ biggrin
beer

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: moparx] #2886381
02/10/21 03:17 PM
02/10/21 03:17 PM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline

KA just called me. Giving me an additional year factory warranty on the microwave, and a $200 prepaid bank card, in exchange for me letting them repair the microwave instead of replacing it. I took it. I think that's a decent deal, and they told me they are expediting the parts to the repair company, as well as the parts to replace the damaged drawers on my new fridge/range.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: not_a_charger] #2886424
02/10/21 04:39 PM
02/10/21 04:39 PM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
we recently bought some livingroom furniture.. if it wasn't in stock some places were saying july before we saw it.. we lucked out the chair and couch we bought were in stock.. took the chair that day and couch was delivered a week later...

just bought a washer and dryer. American made in Wisconsin. washer will be here tomorrow dryer is 3 weeks out.. got lucky i guess..

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: abodyjoe] #2886513
02/10/21 07:30 PM
02/10/21 07:30 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I have never ordered any appliances or furniture, still don't know why anyone would do that?!? I see something I want in a store and take it with me right then, I never had a need for anything to be delivered, I bought a used appliance dolly and have a truck and trailer. I have always been that way, if I can't get it immediately I have no use for it. BTW, the JC Penney microwave we got as a wedding present still works great and it will be 39 years old in July, and our dishwasher was bought when we moved to Chicago in 1986 and still works great!

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: Rhinodart] #2886524
02/10/21 07:51 PM
02/10/21 07:51 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

I have never ordered any appliances or furniture, still don't know why anyone would do that?!?

Because they didn't have the ones we wanted in stock. How hard of a concept is that to understand? The same reason people order a car/truck, or a birthday cake with someone's name on it, or any other number of things. shruggy

As far as my microwave breaking so quickly...I mean, I bought a made in the US microwave, so shouldn't I have reasonably expected it to last? We got 22 years out of our previous microwave, only replaced it because we remodeled. The old microwave works fine, and will be going off to college with our daughter in the fall.

DBAP
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: not_a_charger] #2886531
02/10/21 08:09 PM
02/10/21 08:09 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
Im not too picky on things, ive got a few nice items off the web over the winter that were in stock and ready to ship.

My one place I use two window ac units and I got two new brand name units 140 cheaper then mid summer prices.

Im skid-dish to replace the units in my one place as they are all 30-32 years old but ALL work and Im always getting the letter saying im in the upper #15 of low energy users out of 100 in my area so its hard to justify a replacement.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: Rhinodart] #2886560
02/10/21 09:44 PM
02/10/21 09:44 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
I have never ordered any appliances or furniture, still don't know why anyone would do that?!? I see something I want in a store and take it with me right then, I never had a need for anything to be delivered, I bought a used appliance dolly and have a truck and trailer. I have always been that way, if I can't get it immediately I have no use for it. BTW, the JC Penney microwave we got as a wedding present still works great and it will be 39 years old in July, and our dishwasher was bought when we moved to Chicago in 1986 and still works great!

The grand I saved was why I ordered. I could have gotten everything when I looked at them. But I wanted to see what my discount was going to be using a friends inside pass. I saw it was a grand so that was a no brainer. That savings would have almost paid for my dishwasher and microwave at store price.

Ok
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2886561
02/10/21 09:53 PM
02/10/21 09:53 PM
Eyewa
330Scott Offline
master
330Scott  Offline
master

Eyewa
My 36 yo Kenmore electric dryer gave up the ghost in August. So I bought the top of the line Speed Queen with the moisture sensing feature for around a grand. Took delivery in 10 days. Made in Wisconsin, btw.

The moisture sensing feature never was quite right from the git-go, so after talking to the local store and trying their lame suggestions, I called Speed Queen's customer service. They want to troubleshoot using email. Nuts to that. I left 4 messages before they finally called me back - on New Years Day!!! At least they called. After explaining the problem and giving them the s/n, they suggested I setup a service call. Okay

The service tech shows up and without doing any troubleshooting, he tells me that it needs a replacement motherboard. And that all of these $1,000 Speed Queens need replacement boards. So I ask, why not replace the board before you deliver it? He gave me some flimsy excuse about his service dept or something.

I have experienced a lot of crappy products and customer service the last few years and finally learned at least one lesson. From here on out I am going to call the customer service department before I purchase any big ticket items. If I don't like their CS, I won't buy their product.

But getting back to the bad circuit board, absolutely no rational excuse for a manufacturer to build, ship and then install known defective products.

The dryer does have a 7 year warranty and the board was installed this morning. Haven't tried it out yet.

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: 73DAD] #2886648
02/11/21 07:56 AM
02/11/21 07:56 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Online content
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Online Content
top fuel

MD
Originally Posted by 73DAD
A buddies wife is in the family furniture store business. She gets up at 2-3am to buy whatever she can from a distributor that releases them at that time. It’s been tight but they do get things regularly doing that.

We ordered new furniture on 7/4/2020. Received it in November. 2 of the pieces had incorrect trim. Replacements were ordered the next day, and we were told we'd receive them "probably in April."

I live in a town known for building furniture. One of my buddies is a materials purchaser for a factory. Apparently, the material used for the masks is the same material used in the furniture business to cover the bottoms of sofas & chairs so they're constantly hunting down alternatives to use. They've had shortages on other building materials as well. He also said they had record orders last year & they're backlog is outrageous.

They can't build them as fast as usual at time when orders are through the roof!

This is interesting I know a few people who sold their houses this year and couldn't sell their used furniture They ended up giving it away.
Most of the furniture was well taken care of and high end expensive stuff. I guess nobody wants used furniture. The good news is I refurnished my house for free.

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: RTSE4ME] #2886778
02/11/21 03:07 PM
02/11/21 03:07 PM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Originally Posted by 73DAD

This is interesting I know a few people who sold their houses this year and couldn't sell their used furniture They ended up giving it away.
Most of the furniture was well taken care of and high end expensive stuff. I guess nobody wants used furniture. The good news is I refurnished my house for free.

More than likely its because of bed bugs. Not that the people had them it's just been an ongoing problem reported in the news. I had some nice stuff and even the Goodwill wouldn't accept them. The cited because of bed bug problems in the area.

Ok
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: cudatom] #2886784
02/11/21 03:17 PM
02/11/21 03:17 PM
not_a_charger Offline
not_a_charger  Offline

Correct. We were able to donate our old furniture back in June, but that same group told us they can't take the incorrect couch/chair we received. We were planning to donate them once the correct pieces arrive. Now, we'll just have the furniture place haul them away.

DBAP
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: 330Scott] #2886799
02/11/21 04:01 PM
02/11/21 04:01 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by 330Scott
I have experienced a lot of crappy products and customer service the last few years and finally learned at least one lesson. From here on out I am going to call the customer service department before I purchase any big ticket items. If I don't like their CS, I won't buy their product.

a couple of years ago, i had to replace our kitchen faucet because the "life time" guarantee didn't specify "whose lifetime" it referred to, and surprise, surprise ! [in my best Gomer Pyle voice] the cartridge[s] needed for the faucet were no longer available.
so when i got the new one home and installed, i called the service number. i explained to the guy we [my wife and i] were almost 70yrs old and had no kids living with us that could possibly wreck the assembly, and we were concerned that down the road a year or so, the repair parts were going to be "no longer available" for our "lifetime guarantee" , thereby forcing us to AGAIN replace our faucet in the kitchen.
the guy asked for our part number and where we bought the fixture. then, to our astonishment, he sent a BIG box of replacement parts to be used in the future ! eek how unbelievable is that in this day and age !
the next time we replace any plumbing fixtures, i will call and see what happens BEFORE the "lifetime guarantee" expires before the part[s] do !
beer

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: 330Scott] #2887056
02/12/21 07:58 AM
02/12/21 07:58 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
Originally Posted by 330Scott
My 36 yo Kenmore electric dryer gave up the ghost in August. So I bought the top of the line Speed Queen with the moisture sensing feature for around a grand. Took delivery in 10 days. Made in Wisconsin, btw.

The moisture sensing feature never was quite right from the git-go, so after talking to the local store and trying their lame suggestions, I called Speed Queen's customer service. They want to troubleshoot using email. Nuts to that. I left 4 messages before they finally called me back - on New Years Day!!! At least they called. After explaining the problem and giving them the s/n, they suggested I setup a service call. Okay

The service tech shows up and without doing any troubleshooting, he tells me that it needs a replacement motherboard. And that all of these $1,000 Speed Queens need replacement boards. So I ask, why not replace the board before you deliver it? He gave me some flimsy excuse about his service dept or something.

But getting back to the bad circuit board, absolutely no rational excuse for a manufacturer to build, ship and then install known defective products.

The dryer does have a 7 year warranty and the board was installed this morning. Haven't tried it out yet.

we just bought the speed queen washer dryer. went with the 5 year one because i didn't want all that digital crap.. kept it simple with good old dials.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: abodyjoe] #2887442
02/12/21 10:02 PM
02/12/21 10:02 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline OP
I Live Here
TJP  Offline OP
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
we just bought the speed queen washer dryer. went with the 5 year one because i didn't want all that digital crap.. kept it simple with good old dials.

iagree

But we now have "smart appliances' that one can control with their flipping smart phone. But the people making the big decisions aren't smart enough to foresee this mess coming. Sorry not interested in either one

My time right now does not allow me to dive in as deep as I wanted to, believe me. I am not one who gives up easily. But at a certain point one has to ask what is more valuable, getting back to my work of continuing the fight. In addition the suspected board is nowhere to be found. After 2.5 days of battling, in which I likely lost more $$ than I'd like to admit to, I buckled and bought a new unit from Home Depot with a promised delivery of 2-22. We'll see. In the meantime the wife picked up a toaster oven and it's doing just fine so far.
beer

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: TJP] #2887522
02/13/21 07:22 AM
02/13/21 07:22 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
About 10 years ago we remodeled our kitchen, bought new appliances. The bottom of the double oven didn't work from day one. 3 service visits and a replacement controller didn't fix it. The 4th trip a different tech came in and found an internal fuse missing, installed fuse and all good.

I'm waiting for the fridge to act up, I made sure it's aware that it's replacement is standing by, a 60s vintage Westinghouse!

The Westinghouse is a nice match for our 50s vintage Philco. Both were acquired for free and both work.

We have a gas cooktop that should be easy to keep functioning forever.

That leaves finding a vintage double oven our last challenge, I can go gas or electric.

Angry white pureblood male
Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: ruderunner] #2887647
02/13/21 02:48 PM
02/13/21 02:48 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i have a 1951 crosley "shelvadoor" beer fridge that still has the original gas fill.
it will literally FREEZE my beer if i don't keep a close eye on the temperature control ! eek
it takes two defrosts per year to keep it going.
beer

Re: Tried to buy an appliance lately ?? [Re: moparx] #2887961
02/14/21 08:39 AM
02/14/21 08:39 AM
ohio
R
ruderunner Offline
master
ruderunner  Offline
master
R

ohio
Yep, the Philco is pretty much the same way.

Angry white pureblood male
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3