RTSrunner Offline OP
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline OP
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
Originally Posted by AndyF
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Even for an EFI novice like the OP?

Sure, as long as he is willing to learn. It only took me a few days to figure out how to tune a Sniper. Not that difficult really. Read the instructions, watch some videos and then start trying things.

I'm definitely a novice as far as these automotive EFI conversions are concerned.However I do have some EFI experience working with Harley motorcycles in my shop so I.m familiar with the general needs operations of the basic systems.Plenty of diagnostic repairs as well as some tuning on the HD's so I'm willing to learn the auto aspects too.
Thanks,RT

Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: Mopar_Rich] #2879681
01/24/21 11:16 PM
01/24/21 11:16 PM
Pittsburgh,PA
RTSrunner Offline OP
top fuel
RTSrunner  Offline OP
top fuel

Pittsburgh,PA
Originally Posted by Mopar_Rich
The Sniper can be laptop tuned even for those "unfriendly" cams. Holley doesn't push the laptop capability because it's supposed to be totally self tuning, but if you don't have enough vacuum or there are other issues, I can connect a laptop remotely and tune it like it was an HP. When the Sniper was announced I thought I might never tune one, but now I remotely tune several every week. The laptop tuning capability is one of the strengths of the Sniper.

Good to know Rich! You may very well be employed for this adventure in he future.
Thanks for the reply,RT

Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: RTSrunner] #2879715
01/25/21 12:54 AM
01/25/21 12:54 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by RTSrunner
You need to install a Hyperspark distributor with the Sniper so you can control timing. Once you can control timing and fuel it becomes fairly easy to dial in the tune. The tuning capability of EFI makes it much easier to get a big cam to work on the street.

A Hyperspark ignition is definitely on the list with this job to replace the stock points distributor.It is one reason we decided on the Holley Sniper setup for the EFI/ignition tuning capability.
Thanks,RT.

I'm working on a RoadRunner conversion right now. If the owner wants the wiring harness to look stock then add a couple of full days of work to the job. You need to take the Sniper harness all apart and rebuild it and then wrap it with vinyl wrap so it looks stock. It isn't a super tough job, just takes time and some patience.

DSC_4443 (Large).JPG
Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: AndyF] #2879722
01/25/21 01:14 AM
01/25/21 01:14 AM
C
CDoering Offline
CDoering  Offline
C

I just completed a Sniper install on one of my cars last week. Wasn't really sure what to expect since its 500 Cubic inch engine, 12 to 1 Indy 295 CNC SR heads with a 272/275 @ .50 solid roller cam and a Indy dual plane. Maybe 5 to 6 pounds of vacuum at idle... I'm using the MSD distributor with the adjustable rotor for timing control. Took a while to get the idle dialed in. I idle it pretty high at 950rpm, but I idled it high with a carb to keep a lot of oil moving around. So far I'm very impressed with the system. Throttle response is great and really like the drivability of it. Wasn't sure how the dual plane would work and I do have a 1/2 inch spacer under the Sniper. I have a nicely ported 337 manifold on the shelf if I want to change it up, but this is 100% street car that will never see the track and I like the torque of the dual plane.

I still have some tuning to dial it in further and I'm doing all the tuning through the Sniper software as opposed to the hand help unit.

To the OP I don't think you will have any issues with that combination.

Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: AndyF] #2879867
01/25/21 01:39 PM
01/25/21 01:39 PM
Cottage Grove OR
WFO Offline
WFO  Offline

Cottage Grove OR
Yes the Hyperspark distributor can be used with a MSD ignition box and a MSD coil. The Hyperspark distributor plugs into the Sniper and then the white wire (points output) from the Sniper triggers the MSD ignition box.

Hey Andy, just to clarify on this one:

Can the Hyperspark distributor be used by itself *without* the Sniper EFI?

I'm in the same spot as he is where I need to buy a new distributor and Sniper EFI is in my future plans. If I could buy it and run it with an MSD in the interim that would be sweet.

Thanks, Sean

'65 Plymouth Sport Fury
Blow thru twin turbo coming soon...
Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: WFO] #2879889
01/25/21 02:10 PM
01/25/21 02:10 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Originally Posted by WFO
Yes the Hyperspark distributor can be used with a MSD ignition box and a MSD coil. The Hyperspark distributor plugs into the Sniper and then the white wire (points output) from the Sniper triggers the MSD ignition box.

I'm in the same spot as he is where I need to buy a new distributor and Sniper EFI is in my future plans. If I could buy it and run it with an MSD in the interim that would be sweet.

Thanks, Sean

No I don't think that would work since the Hyperspark distributor doesn't have any advance mechanism. It is just an RPM signal generator for the Sniper. The Sniper computer then creates the ignition advance curve and sends it to the MSD box. If you hooked a Hyperspark up to a MSD box it would be like a crank trigger with a locked timing curve.

Re: Holley Sniper EFI vs MP484 cam [Re: AndyF] #2879929
01/25/21 02:51 PM
01/25/21 02:51 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by WFO

Thanks, Sean

No I don't think that would work since the Hyperspark distributor doesn't have any advance mechanism. It is just an RPM signal generator for the Sniper. The Sniper computer then creates the ignition advance curve and sends it to the MSD box. If you hooked a Hyperspark up to a MSD box it would be like a crank trigger with a locked timing curve.

that was my question, and i was confused by andy's answer as well.
i'm going to be using my well sorted thermoquad to start with until i can afford a sniper system.
since i need to replace my gas tank, i replaced it with a stainless part from vans auto, and am installing an aeromotive 340lph pump in the tank, along with a 1/2" return line.
i also have an aeromotive regulator, so it will be a matched system when i can finally switch over to the sniper.
i guess i'll just modify a stock distributor for now, and either use a gm HEI adaptation, or use the stock distributor to trigger the MSD, using a "ford F150 style" coil that matches whatever ignition system i decide on using, then when i can afford the sniper setup, i'll get the hyperspark distributor.
beer

Page 2 of 2 1 2