01/20/21 08:45 PM
01/20/21 08:45 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline OP
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline OP
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
... just bought a used high optioned 12 inch miter saw.... the blade was shot.

I did a search on blades ... I was astonished at price diffs.

TAKE ANY product purchase ... how much more would you pay to support North American jobs ?

YES I’m including those apimp ... north of the border ! xmaseek

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2877538
01/20/21 09:05 PM
01/20/21 09:05 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

TAKE ANY product purchase ... how much more would you pay to support North American jobs ?

It's more than just supporting jobs, the US made stuff is likely much better than the other. Seek out some independent reviews to see.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2877552
01/20/21 09:21 PM
01/20/21 09:21 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
In the market for a flag pole for the house. Found a nice 20' thick wall telescoping aluminum pole...of course, made in China, $179. Asked about a USA made pole...they have them made to the same specs....almost $500. I'll be spending $500 unless I find something else USA made. Not hanging Old Glory on a China made pole!!

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: Dcuda69] #2877559
01/20/21 09:34 PM
01/20/21 09:34 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
top fuel
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
top fuel

God's Country Maryland
I wonder where the flag was made.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #2877563
01/20/21 09:55 PM
01/20/21 09:55 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340

Depends which "kit" you buy I'm sure

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: Sniper] #2877630
01/21/21 12:33 AM
01/21/21 12:33 AM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Unless I can prove to myself something is made 100% in the USA, I'm not gonna pony up the extra $$$$. Why? Long time ago I was getting part time jobs thru a temp agency. One of these part time jobs I was hired out to was to change the packaging on the product to show PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA instead of Made in China. That was my job for two days (honestly don't remember the company, it was some kind of swamp cooler).

Not saying this happens a lot (or even at all with bigger companies) but the whole experience soured me on 'buying American' just based on a sticker. Another variation to this that I've seen was the BOX being 'Made in the USA' but the contents were 100% China made.

Do a little research before spending the extra $$$$ is all I'm saying.

popcorn

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2877690
01/21/21 07:14 AM
01/21/21 07:14 AM
Usa
A
A39Coronet Offline
super stock
A39Coronet  Offline
super stock
A

Usa
If I have a choice, I try really hard to pretend the china option doesn't even exist, and the domestic option price is "how much is supposed to cost". I'll admit I didn't do this in my younger years but I do now. I've never regretted paying good money for USA made at a higher price. Why reward a company for sending mfg elsewhere?

Follow my G3 Hemi Barracuda build on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSDAWczXoZw&list=PLTus_wQu8POADHEeJNJp2nr4NMHEyB9EK

2015 Tri-State Stock Super Stock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar No Box Winner
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: A39Coronet] #2877695
01/21/21 07:36 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
There is a difference in "Made in" and "Assembled in" as well. All parts can come from China and be put together in Canada (Or any other country) and it's "Assembled in Canada" which some believe is the same as "Made in Canada". Not saying it happens all the time, but some parts are 90% made in China and shipped to Canada or US to get "finished". Those finished parts are then used to assemble something and claimed "Made in" that country. An easy example (not sure if it's a good one) would be a bolt getting sent from China to Canada. The bolt is the head and shaft, no threads. The threads are cut in Canada and now you have a "Made in Canada" bolt even though it's Chinese materials.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: A39Coronet] #2877696
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Reading some reply’s it seems there are two different opinions on why to buy from North America;
-Patriotism to keep folks here in work, and
-Fear of buying an inferior product.

If the first is your concern, good luck with purchasing almost everything, many a country other than China make goods sold in your local stores. As a matter of fact, finding a true “made in the USA” or “Canada” may be at or near impossible, as mentioned, made is in the USA is often disguised and assembled, partly assembled, sticker placed on it, or an outright fraudulent rebox.

If the second is your concern, China, as well as many other countries, including the US and Canada, are fully capable of producing some very high quality items. Poor quality is usually the result of the brand accepting inferior quality to maximize profit or to beat the other guys price point.

I try to live by case number 1 but on the same token I’m not willing to purchase an inferior product for the same or higher price, just to say it’s made in country X. Far beyond price I consider quality (as best can be determined through research) as how something holds up over time, or performs a function, reliably, makes my life easier and reduces work.

Not trying to sway anyone or state right and wrong, but something to think about

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: Dcuda69] #2877697
01/21/21 07:40 AM
01/21/21 07:40 AM
Central Pa
M
moparjim79 Offline
pro stock
moparjim79  Offline
pro stock
M

Central Pa
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by GODSCOUNTRY340

Depends which "kit" you buy I'm sure

United States Flag Store and/or Valley Forge Flags is worth a look guys

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: moparjim79] #2877700
01/21/21 07:56 AM
01/21/21 07:56 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
I do my best to buy USA made. Depending on the item depends on how much extra I will pay. For instance I will go to harbor freight if I need a specialty tool I will use one time or seldom.

USA made doesn't always mean better, i won't pay more for less quality. But in most cases the USA item is better for a marginal difference. And in some cases the USA made part is cheaper and better, I just wish it was more common.

I like it when companies are up front and proud of US made stuff as well. Just two examples off the top of my head.

Like DIYAutotune where I get all my fuel injection stuff
https://www.diyautotune.com/news/an-open-letter-from-our-founder-ceo-jerry-hoffmann/

Or Weathertech
https://www.weathertech.com/behindtech/

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
87 "Chrysler" Conquest
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: Bad340fish] #2877704
01/21/21 08:27 AM
01/21/21 08:27 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
just a FYI.
imports from china hit a 14 YEAR HIGH in November

imports hit 14 year high in november

perception is 90% of reality
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2877706
01/21/21 08:34 AM
01/21/21 08:34 AM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
I'm glad people make the effort. Now tell me where you guys are getting your U.S. made stroker cranks & connecting rods... It would save me the trouble of rebuilding factory I-beams all the time & hunting for old Kellogg cranks.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: 73DAD] #2877735
01/21/21 10:25 AM
01/21/21 10:25 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Well back to the OP ... Cheapies have their place - cutting up trash or firewood. But for carpentry work I always buy a) a carbide tipped blade and b) a name brand like Freud. They're not always American made and personally, since I'm not American, I couldn't care less. When Sears went under all their inventory got sold for pennies on the dollar and you can go to swapmeets or flea markets and buy a 12" Craftsman blade for $10.. You can't beat that regardless where they're made.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: SattyNoCar] #2877736
01/21/21 10:29 AM
01/21/21 10:29 AM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
top fuel
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
top fuel

God's Country Maryland
Originally Posted by Satilite73

Unless I can prove to myself something is made 100% in the USA, I'm not gonna pony up the extra $$$$. Why? Long time ago I was getting part time jobs thru a temp agency. One of these part time jobs I was hired out to was to change the packaging on the product to show PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA instead of Made in China. That was my job for two days (honestly don't remember the company, it was some kind of swamp cooler).

Not saying this happens a lot (or even at all with bigger companies) but the whole experience soured me on 'buying American' just based on a sticker. Another variation to this that I've seen was the BOX being 'Made in the USA' but the contents were 100% China made.

Do a little research before spending the extra $$$$ is all I'm saying.

popcorn

I bought two quarter panels from Year One because they advertised Made In USA. When they arrived there were stickers that had those words on it. Then I noticed the corner of a sticker under the USA sticker so I carefully removed the USA sticker and there, plain as day was a sticker that had Made in Taiwan ROC (Republic of China). I've never bought from Year One again.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: moparjim79] #2877755
01/21/21 10:59 AM
01/21/21 10:59 AM
Nebraska
70VcodeCoronetRT Offline
top fuel
70VcodeCoronetRT  Offline
top fuel

Nebraska
I do everything I can to buy made in USA. And will pay more to support products made here. But somethings are impossible to find a made in USA version.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: 73DAD] #2877764
01/21/21 11:08 AM
01/21/21 11:08 AM
Massillon, Ohio
C
cudatom Offline
super stock
cudatom  Offline
super stock
C

Massillon, Ohio
Originally Posted by 73DAD
I'm glad people make the effort. Now tell me where you guys are getting your U.S. made stroker cranks & connecting rods... It would save me the trouble of rebuilding factory I-beams all the time & hunting for old Kellogg cranks.

Callies and Oliver is where I got my last one. The one before was from 440source and not US made and the machine shop found no problems with the product. The build dictates what I will us.

Ok
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2877803
01/21/21 12:35 PM
01/21/21 12:35 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by Doc Fiberglass

I for one do try to buy quality US made products. Especially when a company shifts production overseas to cut costs but charges same prices as before like I have seen with Craftsman and Levi's. Both of these companies lost my business as the quality suffered. You can get quality from China, but it takes a lot of oversite and control of production which is usually done by westerners that cost a company a lot (expats). Add in the rising costs of transportation and now you find that you have to either reduce oversite or further cheapen the product. I buy Texas Jeans now. They seem to be holding up, and come in many styles. At the end of the day I don't think anyone cares about the name on the 2" x 4" leather label on the waist band. As for tools, I focus on US manufactures when I can. Or if I know its a crap shoot with quality I will buy the foreign with the assumption I will replace it later. We have a store near us called "Made in America" that sells only US made items. But they don't stock a lot of stuff so its hit or miss when shopping there.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: RoadRunner] #2877837
01/21/21 01:16 PM
01/21/21 01:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
You can get quality from China, but it takes a lot of oversite and control of production which is usually done by westerners that cost a company a lot (expats).

This is not true. Do you know why American-made, no, let's say non-Chinese-made, product is (generally) higher quality? It sure as hell isn't because the workers are more skilled or conscientious. In fact, the total opposite is true. Give an American a job to do with no specific desired outcome and you will end up with the same sh!t that the American auto makers were cranking out in the 60's to 80's. The average American worker will do the least amount of work for the most monetary gain. It took foreign (read Japanese) product to open American eyes and implement "quality programs". Programs such as ISO - but don't get me started on that one! Chinese production is no different today than most other countries. If you provide the specifications and tolerances, you will end up with a product comparable to and other manufacturer using the same specifications. And it doesn't take oversite by westerners, the Chinese are total capable of overseeing their own production. No, the reason you get poor quality Chinese product is because, quite simply, there is a market for it! Forget Chinese for a moment and look at the vast array of American-made products. You will find a large number of similar products with varying levels of quality and price. Because there is a market. A prime example is Snap-On, Mac, Craftsman and Stanley tools. Not everyone needs or can afford a Snap-On or Mac and the Craftsman or Stanley will do just fine. So back to the point of Chinese quality, its there - if you want it - and it will still cost less than an American-made product of equal quality.

Re: USA made or CHINAmart ? .... what diff would you pay ? ... [Re: Stanton] #2877974
01/21/21 05:12 PM
01/21/21 05:12 PM
So Cal
Sinitro Offline
master
Sinitro  Offline
master

So Cal
It is true China can produce a product that is of high quality but...
The challenge is having product built and audited under strict quality standards. However In China it is a common practice to source/build for the lowest price, and this frequently results in a sub-par product due to:
a. Weak or none, outgoing QA standards
b. No audit for the raw material subcontractors
c. Frequently, low-quality and/or recycled raw materials are utilized
d. No local monitoring of the production process
e. No final outgoing inspection

Bottom line..
We have been sourcing products from China for >20 years, made >60 trips to China, while delivering products valued @ millions of $$.. And this has been done for some of the well-known brands.
Also we are frequently consulted by an importer who has been burned by not following an audited, documented procedure. Sourcing from China can be a challenge, the procedure is well-established but does add significant costs to the product,
and this is where many problems arise as the importer tries to save $ costs but ends up with a batch of defective products...

Just my $0.02... wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3