my own world
theraif Offline OP
master
theraif  Offline OP
master

my own world
if wrong place sorry mod`s , just the bad part of the story
As Battery Market Soars, Demand For Lithium Grows
"""His biggest concern is the amount of chemicals being used. According to the mining company's estimates, the process would create 2,900 tons of sulfuric acid every day at the start, and double that when it reaches full production. That process could lead to serious health effects if any of that material were to leach out into the air or ground or if there was an accident during transportation.

“I mean, it's not like we're just hauling lumber or something,” Bartell says. “It's pretty dangerous chemicals that are going to be hauled up and down the road, so if there's an accident or something, that could potentially impact people.”And then there's the fuel side of it. The company will consume more than 26,000 gallons of diesel fuel every day"""
if you want to read the full story > https://www.kunr.org/post/nevadas-v...uel-energy-transition-what-cost#stream/0

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2869419
01/05/21 05:15 PM
01/05/21 05:15 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
I don't even look at the eco arguments for or against EV tech. I look at it through the lens of national security. The more diverse we are in our energy consumption the harder we are to pin down by foreign countries and the less susceptible we are to one industry. I just wish people would stop fighting ICE or EV and just embrace both.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2869435
01/05/21 05:52 PM
01/05/21 05:52 PM
northwest USA
N
NANKET Offline
master
NANKET  Offline
master
N

northwest USA
I worked at a place that built EV batteries. It’s not the thing we need, just like the stupid windmills.
You MUST look at the big picture on this new “stuff”. And it’s dirty & expensive.

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: NANKET] #2869521
01/05/21 10:10 PM
01/05/21 10:10 PM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
Tacohead. The First and Only
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: DirectSubjection] #2869564
01/06/21 01:13 AM
01/06/21 01:13 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont

Imaginary eco benefits notwithstanding, they will absolutely haul a$$!!

https://youtu.be/fWrUl3uemb4

Kevin

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: DirectSubjection] #2869574
01/06/21 03:29 AM
01/06/21 03:29 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Lets see, who can afford them?
Not Me whiney shruggy work
Me thinks most ecologist (SP?) hate America and want to limit our consumption of the worlds resources work twocents
The uncontrolled growth of the world population is a upcoming deadly problem for ALL of US here on earth work

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: Twostick] #2869596
01/06/21 09:18 AM
01/06/21 09:18 AM
Here
DirectSubjection Offline
DirectSubjection  Offline

Here
Originally Posted by Twostick

Kevin

I saw a Concept One in Manhattan - beautiful car!

concept1.jpg

Ride eternal, shiny and chrome
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: DirectSubjection] #2869602
01/06/21 09:43 AM
01/06/21 09:43 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Online happy
Uncreative Title
wingman  Online Happy
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Much of this stuff is about marketing to people's "feelings."

So often it's about making people "feel" like they are making a difference more than actually making a concrete, tangible difference. And about politicians making it appear that they are "taking action" so they can get re-elected.

The place I worked just took down all it's 6-year old T5 fluorescent light fixtures (already very efficient and still like new) to put up slightly newer LED fixtures because the "sustainability committee" got money from the power company and they wanted to do it. What a waste.

Meanwhile, down in the boiler room where nobody sees, the building is cooled by a chiller from 1991 and heated by a gas-fired boiler from 1979. Obscenely inefficient, but no one cares because they can't see it or don't understand how it works.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2869633
01/06/21 11:12 AM
01/06/21 11:12 AM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
A lot of this drive to EVs is a feel good movement. That is, look at us we are saving the environment because I'm not burning a hydrocarbon to move my butt around. People either aren't capable of realizing the amount of resources required to make EVs or don't care because they want to feel good. Hey, lets us H2 fuel cell vehicles. But getting green H2 is costly (we are starting to discover getting rid of wind turbine blades that have reached their useful life is troublesome) and cheap H2 is from a hydrocarbon anyway. One of the biggest things we should be focusing on is how to convert plastics back to raw hydrocarbon.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: Twostick] #2869640
01/06/21 11:25 AM
01/06/21 11:25 AM
Alberta, Canada
300rag Offline
enthusiast
300rag  Offline
enthusiast

Alberta, Canada

https://youtu.be/fWrUl3uemb4

Kevin

When they start getting that low for on the streets, they will have to redesign the under ride protection on trailers.

Peter

'65 300 'vert 413/4spd
'18 Challenger R/T Shaker
'19 Durango R/T
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: RoadRunner] #2869644
01/06/21 11:31 AM
01/06/21 11:31 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by RoadRunner
A lot of this drive to EVs is a feel good movement. That is, look at us we are saving the environment because I'm not burning a hydrocarbon to move my butt around. People either aren't capable of realizing the amount of resources required to make EVs or don't care because they want to feel good. Hey, lets us H2 fuel cell vehicles. But getting green H2 is costly (we are starting to discover getting rid of wind turbine blades that have reached their useful life is troublesome) and cheap H2 is from a hydrocarbon anyway. One of the biggest things we should be focusing on is how to convert plastics back to raw hydrocarbon.

The hydrogen people are just as myopic as the electric people.

Ballard Power is in Vancouver BC and they make hydrogen fuel cells. Of course the Greenies think every vehicle on the lower mainland should run on hydrogen. Somebody calculated that if you were to supply that hydrogen by electrolysis, it would tale an amount of water the size of Vancouver Harbour to do it.

Guess how much water you get as a byproduct of burning all that hydrogen?

Going to have to upgrade the storm sewers I guess...

Kevin

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2869681
01/06/21 01:06 PM
01/06/21 01:06 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Yeah there are going to be big environmental problems with EV production, no doubt about that. The vehicles themselves are very cool. Once more people get some seat time in an EV they'll like them. We could probably switch 1/3 of the current cars over to EV and everyone would be happier since their driving experience would be better but it will take some time to do it. Sort of like smart phones gradually replacing land lines. It took roughly ten years for a lot of people to switch.

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: AndyF] #2869741
01/06/21 03:03 PM
01/06/21 03:03 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
It's technology for technology's sake, seems to me, with a huge feel-good hyping from the non-car & anti-car media.
If you look into what's required to build them, the foolishness and hypocrisy becomes evident.

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: topside] #2869762
01/06/21 03:41 PM
01/06/21 03:41 PM
Michigan
O
oldjonny Offline
Don't argue with me.
oldjonny  Offline
Don't argue with me.
O

Michigan
Originally Posted by topside
It's technology for technology's sake, seems to me, with a huge feel-good hyping from the non-car & anti-car media.
If you look into what's required to build them, the foolishness and hypocrisy becomes evident.

100% correct. At this point, application of technology because they can. The reality is they make very little sense and the structure of the US will never support it to large scale. Everyone thinks electricity is 'free' and 'clean'. Hilarious.

Never, ever argue with an IDIOT. They will drag you to their level and then beat you with their years of experience
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: Twostick] #2869786
01/06/21 04:03 PM
01/06/21 04:03 PM
East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
RoadRunner Offline
master
RoadRunner  Offline
master

East Aurora (Buffalo) NY
Originally Posted by RoadRunner

The hydrogen people are just as myopic as the electric people.

Ballard Power is in Vancouver BC and they make hydrogen fuel cells. Of course the Greenies think every vehicle on the lower mainland should run on hydrogen. Somebody calculated that if you were to supply that hydrogen by electrolysis, it would tale an amount of water the size of Vancouver Harbour to do it.

Guess how much water you get as a byproduct of burning all that hydrogen?

Going to have to upgrade the storm sewers I guess...

Kevin

I am curious to see the math. Looking at Vancouver Harbor between the Lions Gate and Iron Workers bridges, I estimate about 114x10^9 gallons of water I am involved in a couple of H2 fuel cell vehicle projects (around infrastructure and H2 supply). If my calculations are correct, you could power 8.5 million cars for 10 years with the water from the bay. Or, if every vehicle in the US were H2 fuel cell, you could fuel every one of them for about 4 months. That is assuming that the resulting moisture is never replenished back into the ground. You do need a lot of water to get a small amount of H2 (every kg of water only has 0.05kg of H2).

Currently the majority of H2 in US is by steam methane reforming. Though there is a good amount that is produced by chemical process off-gas. The issue with SMR is that it produced a lot of CO2. Which is the one thing everyone agrees is causing global warming. There are some newer reforming technologies that reduce the CO2 production. And using off gas from land fills is becoming a major source of methane. But CO2 is still a byproduct. In addition, the current technology to deliver H2 to fueling stations uses a lot of diesel fuel. We are exploring higher and higher pressures to store which helps reduce delivery costs. Electrolysis is the most inefficient and capital intensive process to to get H2. Generating electricity to run electrolysis is a problem as solar is costly and results in E-waste, wind is good, but recycling the blades at the end of useful life is now a major issue. I think tidal wave generation using all proper materials to prevent corrosion is promising. Solar generation where sun is used to heat a salt that generates steam to run turbines is also promising. But this last method is most effective in the desert where there is lowest demand for power. Ideally, we all should lump into giant cities where we can minimize fuel usage to transport ourselves. But in the US, that will never happen. It is more common in Europe.

No matter what technology we use, it is nice to come up with something that will harm the planet less. I still run my 472cu in hemi. I use an O2 meter to try to optimize the tune. I am considering fuel injection. I think we all should do what we can. But we should make sure its the right direction that isn't going to cause a bigger issue later in time.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2870027
01/06/21 07:43 PM
01/06/21 07:43 PM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
I am sure the Big Three are not doing market research on Moparts.

If they did, they'd find themselves woefully behind the global environment.

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: Diego (not Ted)] #2870041
01/06/21 08:15 PM
01/06/21 08:15 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
All cars pollute. EV's just move that pollution to the batteries both making them and disposing of them and power generation but it gives people the warm fuzzy feeling that they aren't polluting themselves because they aren't burning gas to drive them.

I drove my old neighbours Volt and even that was interesting to drive and seeing the technology and it's no Tesla. What keeps me out of electric cars is the cost of buying them, the thought of what kind of night mare that electronic stuff is going to be long term not to mention repair cost and that they haven't made any I like yet.

Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: 5thAve] #2870071
01/06/21 09:08 PM
01/06/21 09:08 PM
Laveen, Arizona
GTSDart340 Offline
pro stock
GTSDart340  Offline
pro stock

Laveen, Arizona
Then there's stuff like this runaway

1949 International KB-2 "Mater" - 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat" - 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T - Hemi

2016 Dodge Durango Limited - 3.6
Re: so tell me again why ev`s are better for us [Re: theraif] #2870125
01/06/21 09:55 PM
01/06/21 09:55 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Originally Posted by theraif
if wrong place sorry mod`s , just the bad part of the story
As Battery Market Soars, Demand For Lithium Grows
"""His biggest concern is the amount of chemicals being used. According to the mining company's estimates, the process would create 2,900 tons of sulfuric acid every day at the start, and double that when it reaches full production. That process could lead to serious health effects if any of that material were to leach out into the air or ground or if there was an accident during transportation.

“I mean, it's not like we're just hauling lumber or something,” Bartell says. “It's pretty dangerous chemicals that are going to be hauled up and down the road, so if there's an accident or something, that could potentially impact people.”And then there's the fuel side of it. The company will consume more than 26,000 gallons of diesel fuel every day"""
if you want to read the full story > https://www.kunr.org/post/nevadas-v...uel-energy-transition-what-cost#stream/0

I'm no EV lover, but this is a nonsensical argument against them. Sulfuric acid is the largest produced chemical in the world and considered the most important as well, been commercially produced for 250 years, and it's been transported for 100 years. 2900 tons a day is less than a drop in the bucket.

26,000 gallons of diesel fuel, another drop in the bucket.

EV's have both positive and negative attributes. These are not very moving negative arguments.