01/01/21 03:55 PM
Cleveland Ohio
10secGTX Offline
top fuel
10secGTX  Offline
top fuel

Cleveland Ohio
Originally Posted by AndyF
I recently had to buy a new rear end housing to fit the new wheels that I bought for my Duster. My new wheels had 3 inches more backspacing than the old wheels so the new housing had to be 6 inches wider. I'll end up selling my old rear end along with the matching wheels and tires to someone with a Duster that wants the whole setup.

What did you go with for rear and gear choice ?

Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: topside] #2867723
01/01/21 07:32 PM
01/01/21 07:32 PM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
On the rear wheels, I want the center/hub of the wheel centered up in the wheel regardless of total width needed.

Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: LSP] #2867784
01/01/21 08:48 PM
01/01/21 08:48 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Originally Posted by LSP
On the rear wheels, I want the center/hub of the wheel centered up in the wheel regardless of total width needed.
Why?
Do you want the wheel back spacing to be in the center of the wheel width exactly, IE 10 inch wide wheel with 5.0 back spacing?
Centered or negative offset makes them harder to put on and take off usually, the wider the wheels and tires the worst the problems shruggy
Been down that road more than once due to NHRA rules in NHRA stock classes years ago down whiney

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: LSP] #2867837
01/01/21 10:31 PM
01/01/21 10:31 PM
mississippi
L
lostdog Offline OP
enthusiast
lostdog  Offline OP
enthusiast
L

mississippi
Originally Posted by LSP

That’s what I think too bc I believe it would be more stable but I do see these super narrow rear ends with super deep outside spacing but to me that doesn’t make sense.

Last edited by lostdog; 01/01/21 11:16 PM.
Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: lostdog] #2867871
01/01/21 11:19 PM
01/01/21 11:19 PM
Milwaukee WI
T
TRENDZ Offline
master
TRENDZ  Offline
master
T

Milwaukee WI
High offset wheels benefit you by lightening the total weight of the rear end as an assembly in the car. If you have partial skirted wheel openings like a Dart, you really do not want long axles. Trying to get a big tire out with a high offset wheel is bad enough without adding to the drama. Wheel offset is of no concern with strength. All the fastest cars have the wheels offset. Heck, look at any vehicle with dual wheels. They are made for heavy loading.

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"
Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: lostdog] #2867875
01/01/21 11:29 PM
01/01/21 11:29 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
Originally Posted by lostdog
Originally Posted by LSP

That’s what I think too bc I believe it would be more stable but I do see these super narrow rear ends with super deep outside spacing but to me that doesn’t make sense.

I will always make the rear as narrow as I can, i.e.use the deepest offset wheel for the width I am using or may end up using. 1) Axles are shorter, less likely to twist or flex, likewise for the housing 2) Easier to get the wheels and tires on and off 3) The entire rear assembly is lighter. If I can save weight for the same money, I'm doing it.

If I'm fabricating spring mounts or suspension mounts using big tires, I will cheat the housing forward a bit 1) Weight distribution 2) If I need to trim the wheel opening, I only need to fool with the front of it.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: CMcAllister] #2867915
01/02/21 01:46 AM
01/02/21 01:46 AM
W. Kentucky
justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Originally Posted by CMcAllister
Originally Posted by lostdog
Originally Posted by LSP

I will always make the rear as narrow as I can, i.e.use the deepest offset wheel for the width I am using or may end up using. 1) Axles are shorter, less likely to twist or flex, likewise for the housing 2) Easier to get the wheels and tires on and off 3) The entire rear assembly is lighter. If I can save weight for the same money, I'm doing it.

If I'm fabricating spring mounts or suspension mounts using big tires, I will cheat the housing forward a bit 1) Weight distribution 2) If I need to trim the wheel opening, I only need to fool with the front of it.

I agree.

My rear end is moved back 1", it would be interesting to see how much the weight changes by moving the rear 1" either side of the factory location.

Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: justinp61] #2867928
01/02/21 03:47 AM
01/02/21 03:47 AM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
A factory A body 8.75 is 52 5/8"

The shorter number is from that garbage chart that is wrong. They are not 51.40"

AS mentioned measure to get it right with the wheel/tire package you want to run. You must have enough stick out beyond the leaf springs for a U bolt to grab before the housing end is in the way

Last edited by crackedback; 01/02/21 03:49 AM.
Re: Rear end length.. Is there a science to it? [Re: Cab_Burge] #2867943
01/02/21 07:40 AM
01/02/21 07:40 AM
Charlotte, NC
L
LSP Offline
pro stock
LSP  Offline
pro stock
L

Charlotte, NC
Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by LSP
Why?
Do you want the wheel back spacing to be in the center of the wheel width exactly, IE 10 inch wide wheel with 5.0 back spacing?
Centered or negative offset makes them harder to put on and take off usually, the wider the wheels and tires the worst the problems shruggy
Been down that road more than once due to NHRA rules in NHRA stock classes years ago down whiney

That's why I said "I", it's just my preference. Assuming a 10" wide wheel with a 1" wide wheel center/hub, it would be 4.5" per side or wheel half. I don't size the rear end width or wheel stud length so I can't get the tires off in the first place, and don't mind if I need to let the rear end hang by using jack stands on the frame.

The roughly 1 lb. per axle saved making the rear end width 4" shorter isn't going show you much at all, because it's so close to center, there's more to be gained from the wheel itself and even better yet the tire. Some Pro Stock guys have a tire burn in car that's used to shave the tire OD's down, losing 4 lbs. at a 16"+ radius from center, now we're talking.

Fully aware of what's involved regarding NHRA Stock and Super Stock stuff, been there, done that, and doing that.

Page 2 of 2 1 2