12/23/20 03:45 PM
12/23/20 03:45 PM
my own world
theraif Offline OP
master
theraif  Offline OP
master

my own world
The scheme often starts with spotters checking out cars at local shows. When they find the make and model they need to steal, one of them will craftily hide a magnetic tracking device on the classic car. That allows them to find where the vehicle is being stored so they can then stake out that location.

That’s when these criminals will put up wildlife cameras around your property. It might sound bizarre, but these crafty individuals use the cameras to figure out when you usually come and go from your house, determining when it’s likely you’re not home but your classic car is.

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: theraif] #2863971
12/23/20 04:50 PM
12/23/20 04:50 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Interesting.

I've heard of thieves finding out what you have by following people on Face Book etc. Post up pics of your cars, motorcycles etc and then tell everyone your going on vacation for a week. Come back and your stuff is gone.

People also use yard and garage sales to scope out what people have and come back later as well.

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Neil] #2864315
12/24/20 01:45 PM
12/24/20 01:45 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
that is one nice thing about having a garage like mine.
it's a virtual "death trap" that changes almost daily, due to all the "stuff" that makes you do contortions just to get through the "aisles" .
and in order to make the vehicles disappear, it would take half a day to clean all the "stuff" out of the way just to get a path for the vehicle to squeeze through. laugh2
beer

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: moparx] #2864383
12/24/20 04:23 PM
12/24/20 04:23 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Online laugh2
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Online laugh2
G

Originally Posted by moparx
that is one nice thing about having a garage like mine.
it's a virtual "death trap" that changes almost daily, due to all the "stuff" that makes you do contortions just to get through the "aisles" .
and in order to make the vehicles disappear, it would take half a day to clean all the "stuff" out of the way just to get a path for the vehicle to squeeze through. laugh2
beer

laugh2 It also helps not having anything worth stealing. laugh2

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Guitar Jones] #2864435
12/24/20 06:05 PM
12/24/20 06:05 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
that too geetar ! up laugh2
beer

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: theraif] #2864437
12/24/20 06:11 PM
12/24/20 06:11 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by theraif
The scheme often starts with spotters checking out cars at local shows. When they find the make and model they need to steal, one of them will craftily hide a magnetic tracking device on the classic car. That allows them to find where the vehicle is being stored so they can then stake out that location.

That’s when these criminals will put up wildlife cameras around your property. It might sound bizarre, but these crafty individuals use the cameras to figure out when you usually come and go from your house, determining when it’s likely you’re not home but your classic car is.

Attaching a tracking device to a vehicle in Florida without owners permission is illegal.

But the thief's should understand, if they think they are the only ones who can "craftily hide a magnetic tracking device", they likely are either stupid or arrogant or a bit of both.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: jcc] #2864452
12/24/20 06:53 PM
12/24/20 06:53 PM
Dandridge TN
D
Dabee Offline
master
Dabee  Offline
master
D

Dandridge TN
Since when do thieves worry about doing something illegal? I don’t get your point. Doing illegal stuff is what thieves do.

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Dabee] #2864487
12/24/20 08:10 PM
12/24/20 08:10 PM
G
Guitar Jones Online laugh2
Guitar Jones  Online laugh2
G

Originally Posted by Dabee
Since when do thieves worry about doing something illegal? I don’t get your point. Doing illegal stuff is what thieves do.

You would think that would go without saying, but...sadly the world has gone insane. Has Flynt, MI been providing all the bottled water for the country?

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: jcc] #2864494
12/24/20 08:54 PM
12/24/20 08:54 PM
Kirkland, Washington
Pacnorthcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
Pacnorthcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

Kirkland, Washington
Originally Posted by jcc

Attaching a tracking device to a vehicle in Florida without owners permission is illegal.

But the thief's should understand, if they think they are the only ones who can "craftily hide a magnetic tracking device", they likely are either stupid or arrogant or a bit of both.

OMG......I am laughing so hard at this fool I can barely keep the iPad on my lap. Seriously!!! LOL! ......’that can’t happen...it’s illegal’! Take your brain back to dollar store for a refund.

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Pacnorthcuda] #2864522
12/24/20 11:14 PM
12/24/20 11:14 PM

S
Superfreak
Unregistered
Superfreak
Unregistered
S

Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by jcc

OMG......I am laughing so hard at this fool I can barely keep the iPad on my lap. Seriously!!! LOL! ......’that can’t happen...it’s illegal’! Take your brain back to dollar store for a refund.

Ok! this made me laugh............thank you

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: theraif] #2864564
12/25/20 08:01 AM
12/25/20 08:01 AM
Greenville, PA
redraptor Offline
master
redraptor  Offline
master

Greenville, PA

It must pay pretty well for all the time watching and putting up stolen cameras and tracking devices for what is usually a crime of opportunity. shruggy

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: jcc] #2864667
12/25/20 04:23 PM
12/25/20 04:23 PM
my own world
theraif Offline OP
master
theraif  Offline OP
master

my own world
Originally Posted by jcc

think that may be for repo guys

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: jcc] #2864760
12/25/20 08:56 PM
12/25/20 08:56 PM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted by jcc

Thank you.

I want to make sure if I'm going to steal a car I want to do it legally. up

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Grizzly] #2864823
12/26/20 08:42 AM
12/26/20 08:42 AM
Germany
F
fc7_plumcrazy Offline
master
fc7_plumcrazy  Offline
master
F

Germany
some owners here install tracking systems on there cars so they would be able to relocate them in case of a theft

Carsten

Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: jcc] #2865034
12/26/20 07:57 PM
12/26/20 07:57 PM
San Jose,CA
migsBIG Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source
migsBIG  Offline
YouTube is my go-to news source

San Jose,CA

Yeah, because a thief won't do that because it's illegal and it's bad to steal. laugh2

Last edited by migsBIG; 12/26/20 07:58 PM.
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: ] #2865131
12/27/20 03:12 AM
12/27/20 03:12 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Superfreak
Originally Posted by Pacnorthcuda
Originally Posted by jcc

Ok! this made me laugh............thank you

Typical Moparts herd predictable shortsightedness, I'm used to it.

For those bright enough to have any imaginative foresight, the illegality of attaching an illegal tracking device is, not so much deterrence, it's that at that point, while the car is still safe, and in your possession, the thieves have crossed a de facto legal trip wire, which allows immediate legal enforcement actions, including possible incarceration ( its harder to steal a car when locked up in jail last time I checked), their intentions start to appear very obvious, and therefore suggesting extra precautions be put in place, like adding your own tracking device if one is not already in place, adding better surveillance, and/or greater security. If attaching a non authorized tracking device was not illegal, the above would be somewhat less prudent, it that it might just be a jealous spouse, boyfriend, etc. and need no special attention.

While you guys are laughing, include one for yourselves, I've already had mine. laugh2

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Thieves Are Using Wildlife Cameras [Re: Neil] #2865151
12/27/20 09:03 AM
12/27/20 09:03 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
Are the “savvy” thieves making the easiest profits off stealing vintage Mopars?

My North Korean masters tell me to stick to
planting ransomware on hospital records systems
or stealing Bitcoins from insecure computer wallets.

I would try some easy score on a Hemi convertible,
but if I mess up
I will be publicly executed by anti-aircraft cannon.

What is the wisdom of Moparts on this matter?