Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: Mastershake340] #2862160
12/19/20 02:33 PM
12/19/20 02:33 PM
So Near, Yet So Far
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Near, Yet So Far
And now, for my opinion eyes
The guys who pretty much mentored me were racers & crew chiefs, who'd idolized Harry Miller & a Penske level of preparation.
So to me tastefulness, aesthetics, function & cleverness are the yardsticks.
That said, I like the in-progress cars, because guys are enjoying them while they work.
And young folks don't have the environment folks my age had, so encouragement is even more important.
The customizing thing can be intriguing, even killer sometimes, but some are hideous and irrational. Form, pureness of line, etc are critical there.
I recall in the '70s removing the side pipes & way-too-wide rear wheels/tires from a car I'd bought, because they looked absurd & impaired the car.
Similarly, that whole Gasser thing was silly to me back in its day for several reasons, including bound suspension & disastrous aerodynamics.
Literally proved that out on a car I helped crew.
I've done several Day 2 cars, but I can't cut a nice one up. I love the idea of the F.A.S.T. cars, and cars that are better than they appear to be from a casual look.
But I also really like cars like that "Tetanus" Road Runner in a couple threads here.
I suspect that taste is often based on early influences: I was pre-Hot Wheels, so even though I enjoyed Roth t-shirts, they were also humorous to me.
For those that hate restored cars, you can take some comfort in knowing that most are done incorrectly laugh2
But the bottom line is that if we all did the same thing, it would be a pretty boring hobby.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: moparx] #2862163
12/19/20 02:38 PM
12/19/20 02:38 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
I don’t know, maybe it was survival of the fittest then and now everyone including the weak survive? Which may explain why our society is going downhill.
The near death experiences of me and my friends may have wisened us up a bit and made us stronger and more responsible adults in the end.
Though a couple of my buddies did not survive those alcohol and fast car and bike times. angel

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: Mastershake340] #2862171
12/19/20 03:03 PM
12/19/20 03:03 PM
South-east Mn
B
blaze Offline
super stock
blaze  Offline
super stock
B

South-east Mn
I like both. Restored and the "Day two" cars. I loved the look of the Gabriel High-Jackers and the N-50's hang'n out the fender. I too have cringed when they would rub. I had to try and remember to pump up the shocks before going out for the night, in case all your buddies piled in.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: blaze] #2862351
12/19/20 10:27 PM
12/19/20 10:27 PM
toronto
6PAK70CUDA Offline
mopar
6PAK70CUDA  Offline
mopar

toronto
I remember those years. I was a teenager and seeing those cars were what started my descent into gear head territory lol.
What I used to love back in those days was another guy would come over to look under the hood to view your engine, not the bloody fender tag.

And while frowned upon by some, it was the golden era of street racing. Forget JJ Da Boss and their so-called "street cars" we actually had ours on the street. When I think back now, we were living on the edge.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: 6PAK70CUDA] #2862378
12/19/20 11:53 PM
12/19/20 11:53 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by 6PAK70CUDA
I remember those years. I was a teenager and seeing those cars were what started my descent into gear head territory lol.
What I used to love back in those days was another guy would come over to look under the hood to view your engine, not the bloody fender tag.

And while frowned upon by some, it was the golden era of street racing. Forget JJ Da Boss and their so-called "street cars" we actually had ours on the street. When I think back now, we were living on the edge.

I agree with every part of this!! More often then not(ESPECIALLY Mopar only shows) guys walk up and the 1st thing they look at is the VIN(or fender tag)...really?? And street racing was done stop light to stop light or on a back road arm drop deal. When the race was done they'd go back to cruisin the blvd looking for another race. NOBODY showed up with tube chassis cars in stacker trailers. Was a great time!!

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: blewbyu] #2862405
12/20/20 01:21 AM
12/20/20 01:21 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm building them now the way I wanted to build them back then. The big difference is that these days I have the time, space and money to do what I wanted to do then.

DSC_4437 (Large).JPG
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: Kidsixpack] #2862877
12/21/20 10:39 AM
12/21/20 10:39 AM
Northeast Indiana
73DAD Offline
enthusiast
73DAD  Offline
enthusiast

Northeast Indiana
Originally Posted by Kidsixpack
I love everything too! I remember very vividly my introduction to a restored muscle car! Like most of you I remember when the cars were not worth what we had in them. In 1986 I had my first bee. I met a guy with a 70 6 pack super bee that was going back to stock. He was hunting down the correct exhaust manifold and searching for decals to correct the engine compartment. This was an incredibly novel idea at the time. I loved it! I always like the day two look but going back to stock Still appeals to me. He introduced me to Motor City Originals. The owner used to own my current bee. Mags and headers are still cool.
KID

Pretty sure I saw your Super Bee while driving back from the Mopar Nationals a couple years ago. If not, it was one with identical paint and your current wheels. I thought it was the perfect look and stance for a Super Bee and never forgot it. Cool car, man.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: blewbyu] #2862892
12/21/20 11:26 AM
12/21/20 11:26 AM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
I have always wanted a nice car, but I spent 10 years dumping money in one and never ended up driving it. I bought my current Super Bee to be less perfect(and it sure is less than perfect) and more fun. I've driven, broken, upgraded, and enjoyed this one for the most part. I love the look it has, but I honestly would love the rust holes and any path of entry for exhaust to be closed up. Everyone that sees it implores me to not restore it, but it would be stunning in a clean set of black robes. This is the look I grew up seeing, so it's what I've always wanted to make one look like. I would really like it tubbed, but I really don't want to cut into it.

bee15.jpg

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Looking for the original block for my Bee. The last 4 are 7449
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: OhioMopar] #2862940
12/21/20 02:02 PM
12/21/20 02:02 PM
tennessee
P
pushbutton Offline
pro stock
pushbutton  Offline
pro stock
P

tennessee
Leave it alone,it looks great just like it is.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: pushbutton] #2862994
12/21/20 03:36 PM
12/21/20 03:36 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
iagree and this is the look I grew up with. It's about the nicest car I've ever had. But not too nice. My paint guy wanted to buff it, but I told him not to bother. It'll be getting scratches and chips sooner or later, and I don't want it too nice to drive. I know of too many cars like that around here that haven't seen the road this century. Plenty of cars out thee for every taste.

unnamed.jpg

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: basketcase] #2862998
12/21/20 03:59 PM
12/21/20 03:59 PM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Originally Posted by basketcase
I know of too many cars like that around here that haven't seen the road this century.

Seems the norm anymore.

As for me, I'm tired of the rough appearance of mine and am getting after it.

5-5-19 Lapeergtx3.jpg5-5-19 Lapeergtx5.jpg

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: basketcase] #2863040
12/21/20 05:39 PM
12/21/20 05:39 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
The car is looking good, Dave.

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: OhioMopar] #2863117
12/21/20 09:12 PM
12/21/20 09:12 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
Originally Posted by OhioMopar
I have always wanted a nice car, but I spent 10 years dumping money in one and never ended up driving it. I bought my current Super Bee to be less perfect(and it sure is less than perfect) and more fun. I've driven, broken, upgraded, and enjoyed this one for the most part. I love the look it has, but I honestly would love the rust holes and any path of entry for exhaust to be closed up. Everyone that sees it implores me to not restore it, but it would be stunning in a clean set of black robes. This is the look I grew up seeing, so it's what I've always wanted to make one look like. I would really like it tubbed, but I really don't want to cut into it.

Nice looking car!
By all means, fix the rust, and fix where ever the exhaust is coming into the car. Nothing wrong with a nice paint job either. I believe the paint blotch and factory marking is going too far, and I sure wouldn't want to put the original tires and wheels back on it, but there is a bit of distance between what it looked like rolling out of the factory door and what most looked like back when they were new cars. I knew a few guys that bought those cars new, the idea was to get the stripped down version so they had the money to buy the headers and mags, and whatever else they wanted. Many could have ordered the car with much of that stuff on it, but the factory pricing was way higher then the local speed shop was, and sometimes the factory offerings were not such high quality. There were reasons most of this stuff came with the painted wheels and poverty hub caps. Gene

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: blewbyu] #2863266
12/22/20 10:35 AM
12/22/20 10:35 AM
Bloomington, IN
H
HoosierTA Offline
master
HoosierTA  Offline
master
H

Bloomington, IN
There is a picture in there the summed up the 70's muscle car. AAR Cuda- the factory hood just wouldn't do, it needs a HUUUUGE scoop.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: poorboy] #2863451
12/22/20 04:29 PM
12/22/20 04:29 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted by poorboy

Nice looking car!
By all means, fix the rust, and fix where ever the exhaust is coming into the car. Nothing wrong with a nice paint job either. I believe the paint blotch and factory marking is going too far, and I sure wouldn't want to put the original tires and wheels back on it, but there is a bit of distance between what it looked like rolling out of the factory door and what most looked like back when they were new cars. I knew a few guys that bought those cars new, the idea was to get the stripped down version so they had the money to buy the headers and mags, and whatever else they wanted. Many could have ordered the car with much of that stuff on it, but the factory pricing was way higher then the local speed shop was, and sometimes the factory offerings were not such high quality. There were reasons most of this stuff came with the painted wheels and poverty hub caps. Gene

Thank you. The car is actually coded on the sheet for road wheels, but I upgraded the front brakes and I like to drive it so 14" Road Wheels are out. You'd be amazed how many purist types lose their mind over putting 15" Magnum 500 wheels (Ford wheels, even though they come from Wheel Vintiques) on a car.
I did the steel wheel and dog dishes on the car when I sold my last set of wider front/narrower rear Centerlines. It looked terrible and I think it was the worst the car ever looked. Except when I bought it with Rallye wheels on it, that is .

Bee01.jpg

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: OhioMopar] #2863462
12/22/20 04:59 PM
12/22/20 04:59 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Online content
master
GY3  Online Content
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by poorboy

Nice looking car!

Thank you. The car is actually coded on the sheet for road wheels, but I upgraded the front brakes and I like to drive it so 14" Road Wheels are out. You'd be amazed how many purist types lose their mind over putting 15" Magnum 500 wheels (Ford wheels, even though they come from Wheel Vintiques) on a car.
I did the steel wheel and dog dishes on the car when I sold my last set of wider front/narrower rear Centerlines. It looked terrible and I think it was the worst the car ever looked. Except when I bought it with Rallye wheels on it, that is .

Love the old barn in the background!

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: blewbyu] #2863466
12/22/20 05:13 PM
12/22/20 05:13 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I'm not a big fan of the '70s or '80s look since most of those cars drove like crap. I got my Coronet to sit the way I like it and then I started driving it. The paint is super faded and has lots of nicks but the body is straight and rust free. I could get it painted but it would cost $20K and then I'd be afraid to drive it so I just keep the faded factory look.

DSC_2394 (Large).jpeg
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: AndyF] #2863475
12/22/20 05:31 PM
12/22/20 05:31 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
S

Home
Lots of cool old pics on this page I follow too

https://www.instagram.com/back_in_the_day_cars/

Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: GY3] #2863504
12/22/20 06:32 PM
12/22/20 06:32 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted by GY3

Love the old barn in the background!

That was an old corn crib. We packed it with wood for woodburner. It was great for drying it out fairly quickly when split and stacked in there.

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Re: I am so over restored cars!! This is what makes me tick!! [Re: AndyF] #2863505
12/22/20 06:35 PM
12/22/20 06:35 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted by AndyF
I'm not a big fan of the '70s or '80s look since most of those cars drove like crap. I got my Coronet to sit the way I like it and then I started driving it. The paint is super faded and has lots of nicks but the body is straight and rust free. I could get it painted but it would cost $20K and then I'd be afraid to drive it so I just keep the faded factory look.

The stance looks great on your car. I think the next evolution of my Bee will be a wheel and tire combo that is more street friendly. Possibly with more power and overdrive. Definitely with a recovered interior. I can feel it slide through some turns with the 4" wide rubber on the front and I'm not a fan. Looks great IMO, however.

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4