justinp61 Offline
I Live Here
justinp61  Offline
I Live Here

W. Kentucky
Originally Posted by Alaskan_TA
USPS may be one of the agencies that was hacked;

www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/usps...ted-russian-hack-of-government-agencies/

I still prefer USPS over UPS or FedEx & I order from places that use USPS as a result.

Way too many 'fails' with UPS or FedEx.

My experience has been just the opposite.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: Alaskan_TA] #2863086
12/21/20 07:48 PM
12/21/20 07:48 PM

R
RWG75
Unregistered
RWG75
Unregistered
R

Gotta do what ya gotta do when demand overwhelms capacity. A few years back we had to rent a temp warehouse either because the overflow parking lots were full or the carriers were screaming for their trailers back.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: ] #2863100
12/21/20 08:34 PM
12/21/20 08:34 PM
Grove, OK
hosehead Offline
top fuel
hosehead  Offline
top fuel

Grove, OK
After my exit from California a little over a year ago, I took a part time job at the post office in my new little town in Oklahoma about 7 months ago while I figure out my next career move.(not a lot of demand for film industry workers in rural Oklahoma. lol)

Once the new post master was inserted we had a "stand up" talk one morning where we watched a short video on how he was going to start sending all the trucks from the distribution centers whether they were ready(full) or not. Things were bad before this but shortly after we began to notice things really starting to fall apart at our station. It upset the day to day balance significantly.
Our daily driver gives us updates every morning. Every day the number of full semi trailers sitting in Tulsa grows. I think it is now at 31 trailers of mail sitting and waiting to be processed. He is estimating we will catch up at the end of January. It will get worse before it gets better.

He also told us that the distribution center hired a few hundred new people in anticipation of the first covid era Christmas rush and approximately 80 of them are left. Couldn't hack it. Every day we find more and more ridiculous mistakes made at the distribution center that slows us down. I found mail to be delivered in our town that was addressed to central America today. We also got a package in that literally smelled like rotting flesh. Turns out some moron had mailed a few lobsters from the east coast. More insanity. lol.

We also deliver all amazon for our town. This is another factor. I cant believe this crap people order on amazon rather than go to the store. Giant boxes of toilet paper, cases of bottled water, 40 pound bags of dog food, you name it. And, of course, we have fully functional grocery stores and a Walmart minutes away. Its insane.

I had Sunday off but worked 15 days in a row before that. I'll have Christmas Day off and then will probably go another two to three weeks straight. At least Ill have some money to get my race car ready by spring, I guess.

Seems like its the perfect storm of poorly planned changes in distribution, Christmas, and the covid thing. I agree with you guys that the post office hasn't planned appropriately for this mess but its also completely unprecedented with all these crazy circumstances.
Thankfully all the people in our little town are very supportive despite their obvious frustration.
Not trying to blame any one thing specifically, just thought id share my experience. lol. Thanks for listening.

63 Plymouth savoy
65 d100
66 dart race project
58 plymouth suburban
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 71TA] #2863103
12/21/20 08:45 PM
12/21/20 08:45 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Originally Posted by 71TA
UPS has been GREAT. My regular UPS guy said this has been the easiest Christmas season EVER for him and he's been there 25+ years. He said they just built a massive automated facility here in SE MI. He used to drop off and then pickup. Now he just picks up and they have another truck or even UPS employees using their personal cars dropping off. I don't care but SOMETHING is working. He said management mentioned restricting incoming volumes from some of the big box stores. Said why would they take on more volume than they know they can handle. Finally someone in the C suite using the brains they are being paid to use. To you and i this is called common sense and we just scratch out a living making the same common sense decisions smile

My packages have been arriving ON TIME. Thanks UPS! I just looked at my shipping program to see some typical delivery times. MI to NY in 2 days. MI to TX a little longer, 5 days. BUT THEY ARRIVE. And the tracking is reliable.

I have many USPS packages that are now taking 2 to over 3 weeks. I will NEVER ship by mail again. They have cost me THOUSANDS this year. Lost (stolen, thrown in dumpsters, burned?), upset customers directing their frustration at me and are demanding refunds or replacements, return postage on packages that arrived weeks late, etc. There are a thousand stories like mine all over the internet. I quit shipping via USPS (for good) about 2 weeks ago and hoping I'm at the tail end of this hell. Now I get occasional "why is your shipping so much on a small item? That would ship in an envelope" complaints. They'd have to walk a mile in my shoes to understand. Luckily 99.99% of they people, myself included, are grateful that UPS packages arrive in 2-5 days. I bought 2 last second gifts, early this week. I selected UPS ground shipping and BOTH arrived within 2 days!!! I was floored.

"The current delays are significantly impacting small businesses as customers demand refunds for disappearing packages. For example, eBay told sellers it is "updating estimated delivery dates" and is giving packages 10 extra calendar days (which isnt NEAR enough) after the buyer marks an item not received to see some movement in the package's tracking history before a refund is issued. But in some of the most backlogged facilities, 10 days isn't enough. Independent e-commerce sellers often get refund requests much sooner. Meanwhile, the USPS is still telling customers any package ordered by December 18 will arrive by Christmas"

“The delays are bad. They are real bad. The delays are running about three weeks for me,” said Summer Rothrock, owner of Leo and Lynn Jewelry in Pittsburgh"

- In Cleveland, HUNDREDS of trucks waited up to 20 hours to deliver or pickup mail at the processing and distribution center. A spokesperson for the Northern Ohio District of USPS told Cleveland.com that the processing center has "faced challenges."

- People waiting on packages in Louisville said they have seen items scanned into the Louisville distribution facility only to disappear for weeks. E-commerce sellers are having similar difficulties getting packages out of the facility to be sent around the country.

- The Greensboro, North Carolina processing facility—which happens to be in Postmaster General Louis DeJoy's hometown—is experiencing similar problems as Louisville, with packages inside for weeks.

I understand your frustration with USPS but here's something to consider when shipping outside of the US with UPS.

UPS charges a brokerage fee, at least in Canada, for delivering a package. The fee is approximately $100. Someone could order $50 of gaskets from you, then will get hit with a $100 brokerage fee. You will definitely get customers complaining over that.

Please offer USPS as a choice to those customers outside of the US. If they choose UPS, it's on them that they should have known about the brokerage fee.

Mike.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: hosehead] #2863106
12/21/20 08:51 PM
12/21/20 08:51 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Absolutely unprecedented. I love to bash them but their success rate is really good. In 50 years I can recall very very few failures.

Management, sometimes the most obvious idea to improve things is the worst ever. If you want things to run better, talk to the guys who are doing it and find out what they think. It doesn't take much to figure out who's genuinely interested and has good insight into making things better vs. the guy who's trying to feather his own nest. And never take advice from a bean counter, he'll save you pennies until you're flat broke. 2¢

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: USPS is broken [Re: moparmike1] #2863116
12/21/20 09:12 PM
12/21/20 09:12 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
I understand your frustration with USPS but here's something to consider when shipping outside of the US with UPS.

UPS charges a brokerage fee, at least in Canada, for delivering a package. The fee is approximately $100. Someone could order $50 of gaskets from you, then will get hit with a $100 brokerage fee. You will definitely get customers complaining over that.

Please offer USPS as a choice to those customers outside of the US. If they choose UPS, it's on them that they should have known about the brokerage fee.

Mike.

I have only been offering UPS worldwide Expedited. I negotiated some new rates cause since I stopped shipping USPS I'm spending $5000/week with UPS now. $10 brokerage fee max (if any), FAST (less than a week), about the same price as our Priority Mail (starts at about $35) and best of all I don't get customers calling every day asking where their package is for 3 weeks. UPS is so fast that customers have actually been contacting me to tell me how FAST their package arrived. I will never ship something international via postal again. Every global postal system is the same or worse (if thats possible) than ours. SLOWWWWWWWWWW and theft. I have basically limited any international to Canada, Northern Europe, Japan, Australia and New Zealand. 5% of my business is international so I'll let my distributors handle those sales. Only countries its EASY to ship to is Australia and New Zealand. They have a de minimis like the US where we dont pay any taxes on imports upto $800 in value. Canada and many European countries is $20. Ouch.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: 3hundred] #2863122
12/21/20 09:33 PM
12/21/20 09:33 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by 3hundred
Absolutely unprecedented. I love to bash them but their success rate is really good. In 50 years I can recall very very few failures.

Management, sometimes the most obvious idea to improve things is the worst ever. If you want things to run better, talk to the guys who are doing it and find out what they think. It doesn't take much to figure out who's genuinely interested and has good insight into making things better vs. the guy who's trying to feather his own nest. And never take advice from a bean counter, he'll save you pennies until you're flat broke. 2¢

UPS is up against the exact same issues and somehow THEY have manged to find a way to deal with it. Not a single problem. USPS is a mess and needs an overhaul. RAISE THE PRICES to slow down unnecessary mail; junk mail, birfday cards from granny, paper copies of receipts, local flyers, PHONEBOOKS, etc. Our box company MAILS a 7 page copy of the boxes and bubble wrap I ordered and copies of the signed shipper. I order about twice a week. IS THAT NUTS. We have email now. Yep I told them. Must be an 90yo that owns the company.

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 71TA] #2863206
12/22/20 04:04 AM
12/22/20 04:04 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
The wife is waiting on several packages from the USPS that should have been here several weeks ago.

They were from all over the country but all ended up in Elk Grove IL and haven't left there yet.
Is that where packages go to die? shruggy

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: USPS is broken [Re: SNK-EYZ] #2863920
12/23/20 02:14 PM
12/23/20 02:14 PM
Frederick, MD
71charger Offline
top fuel
71charger  Offline
top fuel

Frederick, MD
American Autowire sent me a harness 2-day priority mail from NJ to Frederick, MD on 6 Dec. On the 6th, it went from south Jersey to north Jersey. On the 8th, it showed up in Hyattsville, MD. They sent it to Dulles, VA where it arrived that same day. There it sat until today (23rd) when it showed up in Baltimore. Latest tracking shows it departed Baltimore. Who knows if it's coming here or going on a scenic trip through the midwest. My wife ships a lot for her employer. Many of her packages are being sent to people who live within 5 miles of the post office. Somehow, some of her packages still go through Ohio before coming back. Things are definitely AFU at the USPS.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: 71charger] #2863961
12/23/20 04:08 PM
12/23/20 04:08 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
From what I see, the problems are with the northeast. I sent a brake booster to a buyer in New Jersey on December 8th. The last tracking entry was St. Louis on the 16th. I fear that my package is now in either purgatory or the Bermuda Triangle. But I have still, overall, had the best luck with the USPS.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 6PakBee] #2863994
12/23/20 05:53 PM
12/23/20 05:53 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI
So UPS is working for me. Today I got THREE calls just to let me know their package arrived FAST in spite of the holidays and COVID!!!! That sure beats "WHERE IS MY PACKAGE!!!!" and threats to me life, literally, like I am personally in control of the USPS. I mean I don't blame the girl behind the counter when my $29 Target dress shoes fall apart. I know I took a gamble and should have bought Ferragamo's at Nordstroms and its not her fault smile Only a few more packages that haven't been delivered since LATE NOVEMBER then I'm off the hook.

I just asked another Mopar parts vendor how his USPS shipping was going. He sent me tracking links to packages taking weeks.

Seems like the biggest problems are NY, NJ, NC, FL, TX, MI, OH, IN, IL, AZ, CA, WA & OR. Basically all the hubs in very big city.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: 71TA] #2864112
12/23/20 10:26 PM
12/23/20 10:26 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL

Re: USPS is broken [Re: Mastershake340] #2864178
12/24/20 02:28 AM
12/24/20 02:28 AM
North Carolina
sasquatch Offline
master
sasquatch  Offline
master

North Carolina
Well I can say we ship often with USPS but I take everything to the Post Office myself. We have been having a LOT of issues with regular postage of both incoming and outgoing mail taking WEEKS. It is so bad now that I take a lot of our outgoing bills to the post office and Priority mail them to make sure they get where they are going. Some of our incoming mail is taking weeks from the time it is sent. What can you do?
Todd

Re: USPS is broken [Re: 3hundred] #2864179
12/24/20 02:31 AM
12/24/20 02:31 AM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Maybe you can send that driver to somewhere south of Des Moines to pick up my package that was due Friday? Tracking shows it left Des Moines on the 10th and is somewhere in between hither and yon.

Tracking shows my package in Memphis, Tn as of 2:43 this morning. So 5 days on the road from Des Moines to Memphis. Is Memphis closer to D/FW than Des Moines? work Eh, about 260 miles closer, in FIVE days. Mebbe by Christmas shruggy

I'm rapidly losing hope my package will make it by Christmas. It arrived in Memphis 5 days ago, on the 15th, 5 days later on the 20th, it's still in Memphis. The originally scheduled delivery date was December 11th.

Another 4 days, still in Memphis. Wonder if it's seen Graceland yet?

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 6PakBee] #2864219
12/24/20 09:41 AM
12/24/20 09:41 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Offline
I Live Here
6PakBee  Offline
I Live Here

North Dakota
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
From what I see, the problems are with the northeast. I sent a brake booster to a buyer in New Jersey on December 8th. The last tracking entry was St. Louis on the 16th. I fear that my package is now in either purgatory or the Bermuda Triangle. But I have still, overall, had the best luck with the USPS.

Update: After spending a week in St. Louis (Dec 16-23), my package is finally on the move.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: USPS is broken [Re: Mastershake340] #2864352
12/24/20 03:02 PM
12/24/20 03:02 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline OP
I Live Here
71TA  Offline OP
I Live Here

Warren, MI

From that news story... "But it's not just Philadelphia that's dealing with the historic volume of packages. Union presidents and postal workers across the US -- in Illinois, Michigan, California, Florida, Maine and New York -- say they, too, are seeing record volumes of packages and backlogs"

But angry customers that call say its just me. That their feminine hygiene products arrived on time smile

PS Priority Mail make no difference. Thats just throwing money away. It gets the same poor treatment. I can show literally thousands of shipments this falls where Priority Mail took weeks. And not just stuck in Detroit but every large city hub they went through.

Re: USPS is broken [Re: 71TA] #2864496
12/24/20 09:09 PM
12/24/20 09:09 PM
Michigan
MarkZ Offline
Worthy
MarkZ  Offline
Worthy

Michigan
Had a Christmas present take two weeks to arrive. Tracking showed it stuck at a distribution center. I don't mind as I can understand the circumstances, but the damn thing reeked of cigarette smoke. It was an Amazon order and had plenty of time to air out. Can only surmise it happened on the last leg of delivery.

1987 Fifth Avenue - 512/518/D60
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 3hundred] #2865397
12/27/20 07:17 PM
12/27/20 07:17 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Maybe you can send that driver to somewhere south of Des Moines to pick up my package that was due Friday? Tracking shows it left Des Moines on the 10th and is somewhere in between hither and yon.

YAY! After 12 days my package is leaving Memphis! I hope it's headed about 500 miles west work , but who knows...

tracking.PNG

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: USPS is broken [Re: 3hundred] #2865414
12/27/20 07:51 PM
12/27/20 07:51 PM
West Plains, MO
DrCharles Offline
master
DrCharles  Offline
master

West Plains, MO
As of today (27 Dec), this is the only information available on my part... at least it made it to KC only 300 miles away, but has entered the Bermuda Triangle for the last nine days. eyes

December 22, 2020
In Transit, Arriving Late
Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility.

December 18, 2020, 10:47 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
KANSAS CITY KS NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 17, 2020, 5:40 am
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
GRAND RAPIDS MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

December 17, 2020, 5:36 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
GRAND RAPIDS MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX

December 15, 2020, 6:00 pm
Departed Post Office
OKEMOS, MI 48864