Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cudaman1969] #2860046
12/14/20 07:41 PM
12/14/20 07:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,635
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,635
MI, usa
If that pin hole turns to a crack and hydraulics it’s not going to be pretty.
Doug

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cudaman1969] #2860052
12/14/20 07:46 PM
12/14/20 07:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Freeport IL USA
P
poorboy Offline
master
poorboy  Offline
master
P

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,253
Freeport IL USA
Water in the oil is not good, but antifreeze in the oil = a dead motor very quickly.
I assume you are pressure testing your cooling system while its still cold and have found a minor leak. Once the motor starts heating up, about 1/2 way to operating temp, I've seen a lot of coolant leaks get worse, but then they close up when the motor gets up to temp.
If you are unsure if your coolant leak is block related, drain the antifreeze out of it and fill it with water until the block has been sealed again. Gene

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860054
12/14/20 07:51 PM
12/14/20 07:51 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,345
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,345
Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by cjskotni
[

So the verdict is - very small leak through the cylinder wall in the number 8 cylinder.


Bummer pity beer

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cudaman1969] #2860123
12/14/20 11:29 PM
12/14/20 11:29 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Originally Posted by ek3
flush it out real good and use water only... get the temp up to 200 or a little higher like its about to overheat. the reason to do that is it will open the crack real good. if it stops the leak, it will prob. never leak again unless you get it hotter than when you made this repair. there are many products with many issues. this works really well and last. Buy this ! https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/3...=4579878248437694&utm_content=Moroso

It says not to use with antifreeze, I’m guessing water on first application, once it’s sealed use the mix?
yes . . antifreeze interferes with the cure of ceramic seal. after you get it sealed and you know you have stopped the leak, you can run all the antifreeze you like ! get it good and hot -not ring killing hot just try to hit 220 .. i always run fresh water in and keep it coming out [flush it w/ engine running no t- stat ]until its very clean. then close it up and then run it with only water and ceramic seal until its up to 200-215 .

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: ek3] #2860174
12/15/20 06:10 AM
12/15/20 06:10 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
Originally Posted by ek3
Originally Posted by cudaman1969
Originally Posted by ek3
flush it out real good and use water only... get the temp up to 200 or a little higher like its about to overheat. the reason to do that is it will open the crack real good. if it stops the leak, it will prob. never leak again unless you get it hotter than when you made this repair. there are many products with many issues. this works really well and last. Buy this ! https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/3...=4579878248437694&utm_content=Moroso

It says not to use with antifreeze, I’m guessing water on first application, once it’s sealed use the mix?
yes . . antifreeze interferes with the cure of ceramic seal. after you get it sealed and you know you have stopped the leak, you can run all the antifreeze you like ! get it good and hot -not ring killing hot just try to hit 220 .. i always run fresh water in and keep it coming out [flush it w/ engine running no t- stat ]until its very clean. then close it up and then run it with only water and ceramic seal until its up to 200-215 .


So this isn't a race motor - it's a street car. I read the data sheet on this stuff and it says pretty clearly to run pure water only once it's used. I would prefer not to have to do that.

What about the antifreeze friendly stuff? Moroso All Weather Seal 35520

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860181
12/15/20 07:48 AM
12/15/20 07:48 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
Here is the instructions. They read like this is for race motors only and you have to run pure water for life after you treat the motor. Am I misinterpreting this?

Attached PDF document
35500_inst (1).pdf (14 downloads)
Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860237
12/15/20 09:59 AM
12/15/20 09:59 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,311
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,311
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Use the pellets in the link I have above. They work well with antifreeze and are the same that GM used. They work.

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860238
12/15/20 10:00 AM
12/15/20 10:00 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,311
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
N
NITROUSN Offline
I Live Here
NITROUSN  Offline
I Live Here
N

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 17,311
UPPER MICHIGAN, MARQUETTE COUN...
Quote
Bar’s Leaks Radiator Stop Leak Tablets inhibit the formation of rust and scale, neutralize pH imbalance, control electrolysis, lubricate and seal internal, external and coolant-to-oil leaks. Imagine getting that range of effectiveness in a product you can buy off the shelf rather than through service only a mechanic can provide. In fact, this is the same product that’s been used right on the assembly line by OEM automakers around the world for 30+ years. This solution is the result of careful research and testing on the part of our team of top-flight chemical engineers. They work each day to improve existing products like our radiator leak repair tablets, as well as to develop new products to keep up with the latest in automotive innovations and technologies.

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860241
12/15/20 10:10 AM
12/15/20 10:10 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,555
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 24,555
Brookeville, Md
I had a similar issue with a 440. I'd see leakage when cold but it would stop when warmed up. Turned out to be the block. Not cracked just leaking thru the casting where the numbers were cast. Turns out to be a common issue w/ late model big blocks. I ran some sealer, not sure the brand and never had an issue again,


[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2860307
12/15/20 01:28 PM
12/15/20 01:28 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
ceramic seal will work fine after its cured, with antifreeze...... heres another brands same product... scroll to the bottom. read the last sentence .. http://irontite.com/ceramicmotorseal/

Last edited by ek3; 12/15/20 01:33 PM.
Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: ek3] #2860354
12/15/20 03:11 PM
12/15/20 03:11 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
Originally Posted by ek3
ceramic seal will work fine after its cured, with antifreeze...... heres another brands same product... scroll to the bottom. read the last sentence .. http://irontite.com/ceramicmotorseal/


I ordered the Ironside Ceramic Seal and their flush. I may go that route as it seems more specific to my scenario.

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: dvw] #2861176
12/17/20 09:07 AM
12/17/20 09:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
dartmadness Offline
member
dartmadness  Offline
member

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
Originally Posted by dvw
Wh haven’t you pressure checked it?
Dougy
iagree

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: ek3] #2861180
12/17/20 09:16 AM
12/17/20 09:16 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
dartmadness Offline
member
dartmadness  Offline
member

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
Originally Posted by ek3
flush it out real good and use water only... get the temp up to 200 or a little higher like its about to overheat. the reason to do that is it will open the crack real good. if it stops the leak, it will prob. never leak again unless you get it hotter than when you made this repair. there are many products with many issues. this works really well and last. Buy this ! https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/3...=4579878248437694&utm_content=Moroso

iagree
I use to cut a peice of cardboard to put over radiator then get temp as said to almost overheat condtion . I had a 440 with no issues until I blew a hose one day and overheated. Then I had to repeat the process with great sucess. My opinion is you dont need much stop leak (I used Porter seal) to fix it . Dont fill your motor with to much pellets JMO

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: dartmadness] #2861185
12/17/20 09:21 AM
12/17/20 09:21 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
dartmadness Offline
member
dartmadness  Offline
member

Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 139
Mass.
Looks like I'm way old school. I dont think they sell it anymore. Check out the instruction though.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Au...iator-Cracked-Block-Sealer-/382889085181

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2861401
12/17/20 04:15 PM
12/17/20 04:15 PM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
Update for everyone:

- I drained the coolant this morning. Been in the motor for just under 3 years and it looked fine. Very little sediment/rust and no oil in it.
- I refilled with tap water only and took a drive. No issues.

When the IronTite kit comes in, I will do the "flush" and then the ceramic seal (with distilled water). I will let you know how it turns out. thumbs

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2861428
12/17/20 05:31 PM
12/17/20 05:31 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
Originally Posted by cjskotni
Update for everyone:

- I drained the coolant this morning. Been in the motor for just under 3 years and it looked fine. Very little sediment/rust and no oil in it.
- I refilled with tap water only and took a drive. No issues.

When the IronTite kit comes in, I will do the "flush" and then the ceramic seal (with distilled water). I will let you know how it turns out. thumbs
there are many products out there like the blue devil. it will do this job too. only problem is it can stop up other things. i never had any "issues " with this system .. there is not 1 way to do it. this is tried and true for me.. i am confident it will work very well for you ! let us know..

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: ek3] #2862441
12/20/20 06:42 AM
12/20/20 06:42 AM
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,526
North Carolina
So I thought about this more and went ahead and pulled the T-Stat and reverse flushed the cooling system by blasting water through the t-stat neck out of the lower hose. I used a shop vac to then blew air the same way until it was pretty dry.

I didn't see anything besides watered down coolant come out - no sediment or gunk. Since this system seems pretty clean, should I bother with using a flush product at this point or go straight to the ceramic sealer? I am pretty confident that there is pretty close to zero anti-freeze left in the system and I had no issues with my heater core as far as lack of heat.

I am trying to avoid having to put the t-stat back together, running the car, then having to tear it down (while hot) to get the flush out completely so it doesn't sit in the system. Am I asking for more trouble using a flush product? Or should I just use it since I bought it?

What about leaving the t-stat out just for the flushing process so I can just pop the hose to flush? My car has AC so one of those housing bolts is a PITA to get on when the motor is nice and hot.

Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2862444
12/20/20 07:04 AM
12/20/20 07:04 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,541
PA
7
70Duster Offline
pro stock
70Duster  Offline
pro stock
7

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,541
PA
Listen to what NITROUSN has advised. These pellets are cheap, effective, will not clog heater cores and will do the trick. You do not have to drain the system, and you do not have to run without antifreeze when it's below freezing outside. GM specified these for use in the Northstar engines and others where porosity was an issue. I've use them countless times and usually keep some in stock at the shop.

We had a friend who had a suburban that would lose a half gallon of coolant a month for years. They spent thousands of dollars replacing this and that at the advice of three different mechanics. Nothing worked. They were about to get rid of it when they were over at the house and told the story. I asked if they wanted me to give it a shot. They agreed. I took off the radiator end of the top radiator hose, crushed up two of these pellets and put them in, topped off the coolant and drove it around for a half hour. They still have the vehicle to this day and have never had to add more coolant.

Certainly worth a try


Last edited by 70Duster; 12/20/20 07:10 AM.
Re: Mysterious coolant Leak [Re: cjskotni] #2862977
12/21/20 02:11 PM
12/21/20 02:11 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,726
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
Originally Posted by cjskotni
So I thought about this more and went ahead and pulled the T-Stat and reverse flushed the cooling system by blasting water through the t-stat neck out of the lower hose. I used a shop vac to then blew air the same way until it was pretty dry.

I didn't see anything besides watered down coolant come out - no sediment or gunk. Since this system seems pretty clean, should I bother with using a flush product at this point or go straight to the ceramic sealer? I am pretty confident that there is pretty close to zero anti-freeze left in the system and I had no issues with my heater core as far as lack of heat.

I am trying to avoid having to put the t-stat back together, running the car, then having to tear it down (while hot) to get the flush out completely so it doesn't sit in the system. Am I asking for more trouble using a flush product? Or should I just use it since I bought it?

What about leaving the t-stat out just for the flushing process so I can just pop the hose to flush? My car has AC so one of those housing bolts is a PITA to get on when the motor is nice and hot.
---- > with the t stat out, remove the lower w/pump hose from the rad. . with the eng. running, keep your garden hose running inside the lower hose and it will flush it self out in a few minutes. the cleaner the better. then add your sealer ...

Page 2 of 2 1 2






Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1