Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
OrangeProwler  Offline OP
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Hello. I've been considering putting more focus to my 79 Dodge truck and have been considering converting in the future to a Holley Sniper EFI system for but, need to see what I need to do before I fully commit. Here's the current setup in my 79 Dodge truck: 408 Magnum stroker with 10:5:1 compression, Edelbrock Air Gap Performer RPM Intake, Edelbrock Aluminum heads ported with 2.08 valves, Hughes hydraulic roller cam 228/236 @.050 and .550/.565 on a 108 LSA with 4 degrees of advance built in, 1.7 rockers, MSD Ignition including their distributor, and B/E-Body small block TTI headers with 3 inch exhaust.

Here's my first question, I'm just wondering with the camshaft specification listed above if the system would be able to self learn or would it need a custom tune? I know my power brakes work fine with this setup and believe I pull 14-15 inches of vacuum with this setup. The other question I have is regarding the fuel system. I currently have a bed mounted 20 gallon? fuel cell running an external Holley red pump with regulator. Just wondering if I should go with a Holley/Aeromotive/Other branded external pump or should I try to cut my fuel cell for an in-tank pump? If so which brand of pump?

The last question I have is regarding my electrical system and electrical interference. I'm still running my factory wiring with a couple of modifications with namely the ammeter converted to a voltmeter by Redline Gauges and a Diplomat alternator. On my to do list is a headlight harness as well. I'm just wondering if I would be okay installing the EFI with my factory harness with the addition of fuel injection since I have an MSD Ignition? Sorry for the long post but, just brainstorming and looking for some guidance here. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by RustyMopar01; 12/02/20 03:25 PM.
Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2854420
12/02/20 03:58 PM
12/02/20 03:58 PM
Ontario, Canada
RealWing Offline
enthusiast
RealWing  Offline
enthusiast

Ontario, Canada
Better to put your post over on the Sniper forum
https://forums.holley.com/forumdisplay.php?82-Sniper-EFI

I'm in the process of installing the Sniper on my '69 340 Barracuda
Jim

1970 Superbird 440-6bbl, auto
1969 Barracuda 340-4bbl, FB Formula S auto
1969 Barracuda 6.1 L Hemi, 5 speed, Convertible
2022 Can Am Spyder RTL
Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: RealWing] #2854429
12/02/20 04:21 PM
12/02/20 04:21 PM
A
Andrewh Online content
master
Andrewh  Online Content
master
A

can't answer your first, but can sort of help with the second.
your factory harness doesn't really matter, because you aren't really running through it for anything but power and ground.
the only real catch might be did you upgrade the alt for power.
adding efi pump(s) might start pushing your limits if you are still running a 60 amp alt depending on what else you have drawing power.

90 percent of the wiring in my 65 coronet is the original harness. But I spliced in relays for a lot of aftermarket stuff along with extra wiring for other things rather than power it through the original harness.

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2854434
12/02/20 04:25 PM
12/02/20 04:25 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
You should use an internal pump if you can find a good solution. The best solution is an internal pump that is also regulated so the return is inside the fuel cell. That way you get rid of the return line and an external regulator. Holley sells those setups so see if you can find one that works.

You'll need to sell your MSD distributor and buy a Holley Hyperspark distributor. The rest of your stuff will work okay. The Sniper needs 12 volts cranking and starting but your MSD should already be wired that way.

The Sniper will work just fine on your engine. Buy the Stealth model if you have a stock throttle linkage. The regular Sniper is wider and the stock throttle linkage doesn't fit properly.

You will most likely need to use a laptop to fine tune the Sniper.

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2854798
12/03/20 01:40 PM
12/03/20 01:40 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Thank you all. I believe my alternator is 78 amps if I remember correctly. I'll have to visit that link for the forums and see what they say. I'm already running a Holley Red pump but, see they have a product that may potentially work with my fuel cell that is an in-tank setup. The other thing is I have a Autometer Tach and could sell that as well since the screen has an RPM feature built in and quite honestly I don't really drive the truck hard all that much. The other thing regarding the kickdown; I have a Bouchillon Performance Engineering setup on the truck. I think I could get by the 4150 4 injector unit since with everything above the truck dynoed 370 to the wheels. Anyways, thank you all again.

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2854853
12/03/20 04:03 PM
12/03/20 04:03 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
You need an EFI fuel pump since the fuel pressure has to be 60 psi to the throttle body. So the pump, filters, line, regulator, etc. all have to be EFI rated parts. Carb stuff won't work at 60 psi.

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: AndyF] #2854953
12/03/20 09:02 PM
12/03/20 09:02 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Originally Posted by AndyF
You need an EFI fuel pump since the fuel pressure has to be 60 psi to the throttle body. So the pump, filters, line, regulator, etc. all have to be EFI rated parts. Carb stuff won't work at 60 psi.

Thank you. Here's one of the pumps I'm considering. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-12-144

Here's something I thought of and that's regarding the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor) is I'm wondering if I should drill out the thermostat housing to install the sensor or if I should use an NPT adapter to install where the 1/4 temperature sending unit is located? I've attached a picture with an arrow pointing where the part of the thermostat housing is unused but, uncertain if it would be a good spot or not for the sensor?

engine2.jpg
Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2855038
12/03/20 11:42 PM
12/03/20 11:42 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Use a thermostat spacer that is drilled and tapped for the Holley CTS.

http://arengineering.com/products/thermostat-spacer-with-efi-sensor-port/

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: OrangeProwler] #2855676
12/05/20 12:52 PM
12/05/20 12:52 PM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
As mentioned, the fuel side is the hard part of converting to EFI.
If you can run an in-tank EFI fuel pump. it saves you from needing a pump pre-filter, the pump will run cooler and quieter too.
Post fuel pump, you need a 10 to 30 micron (max) fuel filter, AND a clean supply fuel line to the EFI. Any garbage into the EFI fuel inlet is going to cause injector and regulator issues.
I run a return type system too. It keeps the fuel flowing and cool. Pre-run fuel through the pump and lines to clear any debris before connecting to the EFI fuel rail.

The sniper I installed on Mikes car works good. He used the entire sniper setup, tank, pump, distributor, CD bod and coil.
I have seen some complain about emi issues, but I don't know if that is wiring related, or related to using a magnetic pickup distributor vs. the HyperSpark distributor?

I have the older FiTech, and have no issues with emi, running a lean-burn distributor.

These new EFI are pretty well setup out of the box. You do need a good exhaust seal for the O2 sensor. Header leaks and such will throe the O2 sensors readings off.
Your engine combination should not be a problem at all for the EFI.

I'm running the FiTech on my 500" stroker with a 270+ duration @ 0.050", 0.726" lift cam. It did take a bit of extra adjustments to the tune, but pretty easy.

One thing usually not mentioned is you don't plop the EFI on and then go to town. Need to take it easy at first so the EFI can self learn.
First the EFI does not enter self learn until the engine is warmed up, I think 170+ degrees. Then it would like to self learn over the rpm range with various loads to trim the fuel map.
The Ignition tuning is all manual, no self learn there. Stock map is good. The important thing is to install the distributor with the correct phasing and verify the engines actual ignition timing is what the EFI is displaying.

When going from a carb to EFI, you read fuel pressure differently. Normally with a carb, you want to see a steady fuel pressure. With EFI the regulator will change the fuel pressure up or down depending on the manifold pressure. The idea is to keep the same pressure differential across the injector.

Last edited by 451Mopar; 12/05/20 12:53 PM.
Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: 451Mopar] #2856056
12/06/20 02:04 PM
12/06/20 02:04 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Thank you 451Mopar and I had forgotten about the thermostat in my application. The prior owner had a 160 degree thermostat installed according the receipts I have and I think that might be an issue? I'm thinking I should go back to a 180 thermostat eventually. I currently have an external Holley Red Pump with a before and an after filter installed in the system but. As for taking it easy that is fine. As I said I don't really romp on the truck very much anyways. I think this engine is setup for 31 degrees total if I remember correctly. Thank you again.

Re: Brainstorming for Sniper EFI (Have Questions) [Re: AndyF] #2856422
12/07/20 10:11 AM
12/07/20 10:11 AM
None
71rm23 Offline
master
71rm23  Offline
master

None
Originally Posted by AndyF
Use a thermostat spacer that is drilled and tapped for the Holley CTS.

http://arengineering.com/products/thermostat-spacer-with-efi-sensor-port/

Andy, does this housing have longer bolts to go with it?