Page 1 of 2 1 2
If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker #2852790
11/29/20 01:34 AM
11/29/20 01:34 AM
Anchorage AK
AKcharger Offline OP
AKcharger  Offline OP

Anchorage AK
If you were to have placed a custom order for a new car in 1970 from a dealer would it still show up with a window sticker??

random MOPAR question

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: AKcharger] #2852795
11/29/20 02:00 AM
11/29/20 02:00 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Federal rules cover window stickers. All cars and light trucks got stickers.

wikipedia.org/wiki/Monroney_sticker

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: AKcharger] #2852803
11/29/20 05:19 AM
11/29/20 05:19 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
The short straight answer is yes.

They leave the assembly plant with the Monroney Label aka Window sticker attached.

If you ordered a car or it was a sales bank car, it makes no difference.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: SNK-EYZ] #2852815
11/29/20 08:39 AM
11/29/20 08:39 AM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Is there a company that reproduces window stickers? I know at one time they did. I know where my A12 was sold new so I thought I would try and get one made.

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: fastmark] #2852838
11/29/20 11:18 AM
11/29/20 11:18 AM
Sobieski Wi
B
bee1971 Offline
master
bee1971  Offline
master
B

Sobieski Wi

Last edited by bee1971; 11/29/20 11:21 AM.

1971 Dodge Charger Superbee
2011 Ram Sport 1500 Quad Cab Deep Water Blue Loaded
Siberian Huskies
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: AKcharger] #2852916
11/29/20 01:43 PM
11/29/20 01:43 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
This statement for the Monroney Label aka "window sticker" always made me wonder why people got so upset about reproduction "fender/data tags" and never got upset about federally mandated reproduction Monroney Labels / window stickers????

The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing, and other fees and penalties are authorized if the sticker is altered illegally (including imprisonment).[4

It was so you got exactly what you paid for and you knew EXACTLY what the vehicle had when it rolled out of the factory!

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: A12] #2852927
11/29/20 02:35 PM
11/29/20 02:35 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
I worked at a Chevy dealership in the 90's and the all the employees who worked there, including myself, removed those stickers on every vehicle that was sold before it left the lot.

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: Neil] #2853019
11/29/20 05:44 PM
11/29/20 05:44 PM
A collage of whims
topside Online content
Too Many Posts
topside  Online Content
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
The central purpose of the Monroney was to eliminate "free-form" dealer pricing.
Applied at the factory, as it also confirmed which dealership the car was to be delivered to.
I remember them always being on the lot cars, but generally removed at time of delivery if the buyer requested it.
I removed mine myself, up through my last new car in 1989.

Side note: Over the years, I ordered many cars ( usually work cars), and there was nothing "special" about it.
You chose model, color, and equipment.
If a match or near-match was on the lot, or another dealer had one, those were quicker sales.
If not, you ordered & waited for it to show up.
That ordering term has been hyped & distorted over time.

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: topside] #2853106
11/29/20 08:26 PM
11/29/20 08:26 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
When I bought my '69 RR in the spring of '69 the window sticker was on the car when it was delivered and when I first saw in just after it rolled off of the truck. My dad had signed all of the paperwork when I ordered it and that left only a few things to do when he drove me there in our family (7 - kids) '62 Chevy station wagon. The window sticker and owner's manual was in the glove box. It was more than common by 99.9% for the dealer during dealer prep to remove the window sticker and put it in with the owner's paperwork and hand it to them or place all of it in the glove box of the new car.

One of the main reasons for the Monroney label/window sticker was to prevent "bait and switch". If you had the window sticker with the VIN to match it to your car you knew you paid for an AM/FM radio and if it was a base AM radio or no radio at all then you knew to check your dealer invoice to make sure it was deducted or demand the radio you paid for. Same goes for tires.....heard once that a dealer swapped out black wall tires for a set of raised white letter polyglass and don't know if the customer that lost the RWL tires was ever informed. Then there's the grandpa and grandma that thought they were getting the small V8 and the nephew told them it was a straight six. Lots and lots of shifty new car sales persons were doing the bait and switch back then that the Monroney Label became a Federal Law and was probably one of the most important pieces of paper documents to be issued for a vehicle..........IMO it still is to this day. It confirms everything you should be getting with your purchase with no hidden items. Yes even to this day dealers still remove them and almost all of the customers appreciate the removal effort, just make sure though that you have it given to you before you drive it off of the lot..............I liked that link to FCA that with your VIN you could see EVERYTHING that your vehicle came with electronically. The Monroney Label/window sticker confirmed that my wife's Chrysler Town and Country LTD was supposed to have the Infinity speaker system and speaker covers which at the time of delivery it did NOT. The sales person at the time disputed this and the window sticker confirmed it and confirmed the only thing her T&C didn't have was AWD and a factory built in child safety seat. Had everything else including towing and trailer wiring prep.

Still don't know why the big fuss about a reproduction metal tag that is basically (IMO) for Body-In-White and the Paint department (so it doesn't get holes burned into it or covered with paint) when you can get a reproduction Monroney Label/window sticker with anything you like on it as standard or an option and from any dealership as the original selling dealer you want or just say it is. Also if you have a fake reproduction window sticker for some reason it justifies a reproduction fender tag like it's more real and truthful. shock rolleyes Too funny this hobby is sometimes laugh2 laugh2

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: A12] #2853120
11/29/20 09:11 PM
11/29/20 09:11 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I have an original 1970, 71 or 72 Dodge window sticker that is blank. Been in a file cabinet for about 30 years I got it along with some other items and just put it in the file cabinet. I think there's a scat pack bumper sticker in there too. Hmm Have to check it out now as my curiosity is wondering wink beer

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: A12] #2853170
11/29/20 11:40 PM
11/29/20 11:40 PM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by A12
One of the main reasons for the Monroney label/window sticker was to prevent "bait and switch". If you had the window sticker with the VIN to match it to your car you knew you paid for an AM/FM radio and if it was a base AM radio or no radio at all then you knew to check your dealer invoice to make sure it was deducted or demand the radio you paid for.

I own, ostensibly, one of the rarest AMC Gremlins today because of a misunderstanding over 50 years ago. After talking to the original owner, and having her relate the story of the car to me, I think it only adds to the mystique. Big Bad Green was a very rare color in 1970. I think in total of the almost 20,000 AMX's built between 1968 and 1970, less than 300 were Big Bad Green. There are TWO BBG Rebel Machines.
Trust me, it's rare.

How did my weenie little Gremlin wind up Big Bad Green? Well, it was a college graduation present for a young lady named Jennifer. Her parents ordered the car for her without her knowledge (which also explains why it's equipped so oddly). AM radio, natch. Bucket seats and deluxe interior. Nice and sporty. Exterior dress-up with drip rail, wheel opening and rocker stainless. Bumperettes, too! 232 / 3 speed, pretty much the hottest engine combo available in '70. Electric Wipers, Handling Package, 14" tires. The car basically has every option except for Power Steering, Power Brakes, Automatic trans and Air Conditioning. It literally has everything else.

Now, the story goes when it came to color, when ordering it, Jennifer's parents made the comment that "Jenn likes Green". There were only 3 greens available. Mosport Green, which is a dark metallic. Metallic Lime which is.... akin to mopars' anal mucus gold or, for an extra $36.40.... Big Bad Green. The story that was related to me was that Jennifer's parent's didn't ask to see paint chips, they just told the salesman to pick (and I quote) "a nice, bright green".

Between you and me, I think the salesman was loading this car up with all the extras because he figured he could since they weren't opting for any of the power options. So, to hit them with another $40 for the paint, probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

Come delivery time, Jenn's parent's took her down to the dealership to take delivery of her new car. Her somewhat conservative parents were quite aghast at the color of the car, but Jenn being pretty hip, thought her parents did it on purpose because she LOVED the color. She owned the car for quite a long time, too! 13 years from the Summer of 1970 until sometime in 1983.

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: A12] #2853176
11/30/20 12:04 AM
11/30/20 12:04 AM
MYRTLE BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Originally Posted by A12
This statement for the Monroney Label aka "window sticker" always made me wonder why people got so upset about reproduction "fender/data tags" and never got upset about federally mandated reproduction Monroney Labels / window stickers????

The Monroney sticker is required to be affixed to the side window or windshield of every new car sold in the United States and can only be removed by the consumer (Chapter 28, Sections 1231-1233, Title 15 of the United States Code). A fine of up to US$1,000 per vehicle for each offense is authorized if the sticker is missing, and other fees and penalties are authorized if the sticker is altered illegally (including imprisonment).[4

It was so you got exactly what you paid for and you knew EXACTLY what the vehicle had when it rolled out of the factory!
I have always thought the sticker was the best evidence of what actually came on a car ! I never saw a fender tag with the prices on them ... for the op. this is a window sticker from a special order car notice the code y 14 sold car ! >>for the record... please use the term "custom ordered" in place of "special ordered" when reading this post ! this car was not ordered by the dealer and not on his lot . a form was filled out for its options and an order was placed . it took 11 weeks exactly to get this car.. I was trying to answer the op 's question of " does a custom ordered car come with a window sticker ? " the y 14 shows a sold car. not a sales bank car.

Buddy's Window Sticker.jpg
Last edited by ek3; 11/30/20 01:16 AM.
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: ek3] #2853190
11/30/20 12:44 AM
11/30/20 12:44 AM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by ek3
........... this is a window sticker from a special order car notice the code y 14 sold car !..........

do you see "SPECIAL" anywhere? - it is simply an ordered car which was more common 50 years ago than it is today, (order car, wait 6-8 weeks, receive car)

"Special Order" was for things not normal on a specific car line .... the most common is "Special Order Paint" & would include the code: "Y39" - special order.

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: 6bblgt] #2853199
11/30/20 01:32 AM
11/30/20 01:32 AM
E
ek3 Offline
top fuel
ek3  Offline
top fuel
E

Originally Posted by 6bblgt
Originally Posted by ek3
........... this is a window sticker from a special order car notice the code y 14 sold car !..........

do you see "SPECIAL" anywhere? - it is simply an ordered car which was more common 50 years ago than it is today, (order car, wait 6-8 weeks, receive car)

"Special Order" was for things not normal on a specific car line .... the most common is "Special Order Paint" & would include the code: "Y39" - special order.
----special order --- that's a slip of my words. the op asked about custom ordered cars. I do not see the word "ORDERED " anywhere on there either...... I do see sold and I know an order form was filled out to get it exactly how it is and this car took 11 weeks from order date to delivery date !

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: 6bblgt] #2853203
11/30/20 02:02 AM
11/30/20 02:02 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend
Every new car I bought (except one) was ordered with the options that I wanted, and none that I didn't. Only time there was a problem was when I wanted a 87 Turbo Buick Regal and the local dealers would not order it the way I wanted it. Told them to talk to the zone rep, but they were sure I would buy a loaded up one out of their stock instead of the sleeper grandma looking one I wanted. A holes lost a 13000+ sale because of it. Couple of times selling dealer had me sign a form to allow the prep guy to take the sticker off when the car was being delivered. That was the last thing they did when I picked the cars up. Other times the sticker was still on when I drove the new car home. Windex sprayed on the back of the sticker and soak in allowed them to be removed without tearing. Always saved them, and gave them to new owner when I sold the car. Only new car I ever bought out of dealer stock was a 89 Corvette for my girl friend. It was one of a group of 30 ordered on a special deal by a dealer in New Castle Indiana. All 30 were optioned the same, on everything but the color. Bought it at nearly a 10K back of price of ordering one, so it was a no brainer.

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: AKcharger] #2853532
11/30/20 08:06 PM
11/30/20 08:06 PM
Glen Burnie MD
68SportFury Offline
master
68SportFury  Offline
master

Glen Burnie MD
When I was a lot man, I became very good at removing window stickers as part of the final cleanup before delivery. I'd either leave them on the dash or put them in the glove box (I forget which, it's been 38 years).
The amount of glue they used varied widely from car to car. There were some that were completely coated with it--start a corner with a razor blade and they'd peel right off, leaving no paper behind. Others were really on there and I'd have to scrape veeeerrrrryyyy carefully to get them off intact.

I think I pulled my own on the '86 Charger when I got home. When I bought the Daytona five years later, the salesman didn't want to let me leave with it still on the window--said it was a liability issue because it blocked a big chunk of the passenger window. I may have persuaded him to let me remove it myself at the dealer. Both of those still had the sticker in the glove box when I let them go.

I like the way they do it now, with the backing that only has adhesive where it touches the glass so the sticker itself comes off clean.

Paul
68 Sport Fury ragtop
67 Fury III 4-dr HT
11 Charger Rallye
17 Challenger SXT Plus
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: 68SportFury] #2854392
12/02/20 03:07 PM
12/02/20 03:07 PM
Land 'O Lakes
RoadRunnerLuva Offline
master
RoadRunnerLuva  Offline
master

Land 'O Lakes
I consider myself lucky to have the original Monroney label for my Duster. That label has stayed with the car since new. It cost $3,461 brand new in 1972. Thanks to 6bblgt... he decoded my "window sticker". My car was ordered by the selling dealer in TN. for dealer stock .. a few weeks before the 1972 models were officially availible to the public.

Plymouth Makes It!
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: RoadRunnerLuva] #2890419
02/19/21 11:07 AM
02/19/21 11:07 AM
Anchorage AK
AKcharger Offline OP
AKcharger  Offline OP

Anchorage AK
Thanks for all the info guys, sorry for the delay the post got "buried" and lost sight of it.

At car shows people always got a kick out of the window sticker so I ordered one for the '70 I recently purchased. I got it from Triple-A enterprises for $50 and I'm happy. I sent a copy of my build sheet and they printed it off that, interestingly enough there's another company that wanted $250 and I had to provide my original window sticker...why would I get a repo window sticker is I have an original?? Anyway in case anyone cares here's what it looks like compared to the original off my '72

20201214_110458_resizedqwec.jpg
Last edited by AKcharger; 02/19/21 11:12 AM.
Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: AKcharger] #2890434
02/19/21 11:33 AM
02/19/21 11:33 AM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
I don't know if they still do, or when they started doing it, but at least in the 2008/2009 era when I was in the market for a new Challenger, if a customer ordered a Chrysler product, the window sticker said "Ordered especially for John Doe" up at the top. A nice little perk for someone getting a new car, having a window sticker for your car with your name on it saying the car was built for you.
I'm guessing they never did anything like that back in the '60s and '70s.
I didn't get to order my Challenger and bought one in stock instead, so I didn't get my name on the sticker. But at least I got a sticker. When I bought my Dart in 2014, I went back to the service area to take possession of my new car, where the techs had been doing a quick prep of it, and no sign of the sticker and everyone just shrugged when I asked about it. I have a pdf of it I'd saved off the dealer's website but it would have been nice to have the real deal.
I know some people consider repro window stickers on vintage cars to be "fake" and wrong, but I have a friend who has a '71 Challenger and displays a window sticker in the window at shows and cruises, and I have noticed how lots of spectators at these events really get a kick out of checking out the sticker and seeing the price of the car and the options when it was new! They really do add interest to a car being displayed and I don't see anything wrong about that.

Re: If you ordered car from dealer would you get window sticker [Re: Mastershake340] #2890458
02/19/21 12:19 PM
02/19/21 12:19 PM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
surprised they didn't charge you the $227.05 for the automatic transmission ?? whistling

Page 1 of 2 1 2