A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
What a time to be building anything! A 4x8 sheet of 5/8 OSB is over $20.00 now. Used to be able to buy these for $6.88 a year ago if you looked around. Lumber has tripled at least. What a total cluster fvck.

Even before this we could never get 4X8 of anything for anywhere near 6.88 here. But all lumber has doubled in price. In the summer they said there was short supply and a lot of places had people following lumber trucks into yards. I had no problem getting what I needed in the fall but the prices hurt.

I can relate, I've been working on the inside of the new garage (pole barn) insulating and framing the inside.

Lumber has gone insane, a 2x4x8' used to be $2.50 they were up to $7.15 but now they're at least down to $5.95.
A 2x4x16' was about $5.00 they were up to $14.85 but now they're down to $12.65. shock

I've spent $600 on lumber in the last few weeks for what should have cost waay less than half that price at the start of the year.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: SNK-EYZ] #2852455
11/28/20 08:31 AM
11/28/20 08:31 AM
MI, Lapeer
M
maximus Offline
super stock
maximus  Offline
super stock
M

MI, Lapeer
Every year at this time I order new Levi jeans direct from Levi.com. Tried to order some and they do not have any in my size along with may other sizes. What is this world coming too, you can't even get stuff direct from the manufacturer.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: maximus] #2852463
11/28/20 09:31 AM
11/28/20 09:31 AM
Manitoba, Canada
DaytonaTurbo Offline
Too Many Posts
DaytonaTurbo  Offline
Too Many Posts

Manitoba, Canada
Lots of local businesses around here commenting they are hurting. Some I really don't feel sorry for, the ones who are now saying "we're working on getting an online ordering system setup". They've been waiting until now? Seriously? They had all year of experts warning them this was coming. I feel terrible for the employees who are out jobs but can't say I'm shedding any tears for the head-buried-in-the-sand owners.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: AeroMonte] #2852472
11/28/20 10:09 AM
11/28/20 10:09 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by AeroMonte
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
We have been trying to buy a new HD tilt trailer lately and they are few and far between. We can't order the one we want because the plant is shut down.

My son is building a new shop and it is only 3/4 done right now due to certain items on back order. The plants that make those items are shut down. They are not sure when they will be available again so that his shop can be finished.

My neighbor is a supplier in another industry. He says that inventory that comes from overseas has had a few hiccups, but nothing severe. But he says that he is having more and more trouble getting U.S. made stuff.

Locally, our small businesses are dying left and right. Small restaurants are absolutely reeling. Other small businesses are shut down because their employees wanted to be laid off. Many employees could often make more money sitting at home than they could working. Here in Illinois, the Feds kicked in $600 a week on top of the average state unemployment of $150. $750 a week works out to nearly $19 an hour. That is way above the average wage around here. Looks like the small powder coating business down the street from me is done because of that very issue. He had customers that wanted parts coated, but his guys were on unemployment and wanted to stay that way.

I really hope that the forthcoming vaccines are the game changer that they are purported to be. This whole virus thing is a real mess for individuals and for businesses. And I am afraid that the damage will continue to pile up for a while yet even if the vaccines are a go.

DaveRS23, Rice trailer in Poplar Bluff Mo is cranking out trailers daily. I'm sure they will have something you could buy. Every place here is hiring it seems like. Most places here never shut down.

I would be cool with that. But they don't build what I need.

Master, again and still
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852479
11/28/20 10:25 AM
11/28/20 10:25 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by DaveRS23
We have been trying to buy a new HD tilt trailer lately and they are few and far between. We can't order the one we want because the plant is shut down.

My son is building a new shop and it is only 3/4 done right now due to certain items on back order. The plants that make those items are shut down. They are not sure when they will be available again so that his shop can be finished.

My neighbor is a supplier in another industry. He says that inventory that comes from overseas has had a few hiccups, but nothing severe. But he says that he is having more and more trouble getting U.S. made stuff.

Locally, our small businesses are dying left and right. Small restaurants are absolutely reeling. Other small businesses are shut down because their employees wanted to be laid off. Many employees could often make more money sitting at home than they could working. Here in Illinois, the Feds kicked in $600 a week on top of the average state unemployment of $150. $750 a week works out to nearly $19 an hour. That is way above the average wage around here. Looks like the small powder coating business down the street from me is done because of that very issue. He had customers that wanted parts coated, but his guys were on unemployment and wanted to stay that way.

I really hope that the forthcoming vaccines are the game changer that they are purported to be. This whole virus thing is a real mess for individuals and for businesses. And I am afraid that the damage will continue to pile up for a while yet even if the vaccines are a go.

I just delivered a 14K 20' hydraulic tilt trailer from Florida to Wisconsin and have been taking enclosed trailers down from Elkhart to Florida all the time. You must want one particular brand of trailer if you are having trouble getting one as we are busy as heck moving new trailers all over the place! shruggy

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Rhinodart] #2852490
11/28/20 11:02 AM
11/28/20 11:02 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Kinda unusual. 18', 10k, full tilt bed. Most builders build 14k with 16' tilt and 2' or 4' flat in front mostly for equipment. My use is for cars and I need the lower bed angle and farther forward axle that the full tilt bed offers.

And yes, what I need is out there. It's just that not everybody builds that trailer and many of them are shut down or are only building certain models of their trailers. And it seems that every one that I find in someone's inventory is hundreds of miles away from me, so freight becomes an issue.

I am angling for a Big Tex that is exactly what I want. But, it's 800+ miles away. The price on the trailer itself is not bad. If I can get the right offer on Uship, then I'll pull the trigger. The bids are just under $500 right now and should get to a good place shortly.

Master, again and still
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852508
11/28/20 11:50 AM
11/28/20 11:50 AM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

The one we delivered was a 20' full tilt hydraulic we put a 2001 Cummins 4x4 on it for the haul north. We haul for Wright Trailers out of Lakeland, Florida and they have another store in Kenosha, WI with a third going in at Ocala, FL first of the year. Have you talked with Imperial trailers in southern Illinois? I used to have one of theirs and it was top-notch.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Rhinodart] #2852725
11/28/20 09:35 PM
11/28/20 09:35 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
I can call them to be sure, but I don't think that Imperial builds the trailer I want. They don't show anything like I need on their website. Everything is 16+4, not 18" full tilt. They are close to me though and it would be cool if they did.

Master, again and still
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852750
11/28/20 10:22 PM
11/28/20 10:22 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

I looked at their website too, seems you might be right. I had a 36" Imperial tag with drive over fenders and they don't make that one anymore, THE best trailer I ever had!

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 2 of 2 1 2