Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
We have been trying to buy a new HD tilt trailer lately and they are few and far between. We can't order the one we want because the plant is shut down.

My son is building a new shop and it is only 3/4 done right now due to certain items on back order. The plants that make those items are shut down. They are not sure when they will be available again so that his shop can be finished.

My neighbor is a supplier in another industry. He says that inventory that comes from overseas has had a few hiccups, but nothing severe. But he says that he is having more and more trouble getting U.S. made stuff.

Locally, our small businesses are dying left and right. Small restaurants are absolutely reeling. Other small businesses are shut down because their employees wanted to be laid off. Many employees could often make more money sitting at home than they could working. Here in Illinois, the Feds kicked in $600 a week on top of the average state unemployment of $150. $750 a week works out to nearly $19 an hour. That is way above the average wage around here. Looks like the small powder coating business down the street from me is done because of that very issue. He had customers that wanted parts coated, but his guys were on unemployment and wanted to stay that way.

I really hope that the forthcoming vaccines are the game changer that they are purported to be. This whole virus thing is a real mess for individuals and for businesses. And I am afraid that the damage will continue to pile up for a while yet even if the vaccines are a go.

Master, again and still
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852100
11/27/20 10:46 AM
11/27/20 10:46 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
2 weeks ago, we finally got the furniture we ordered on 7/4. 2 of the pieces are wrong. They said we can expect the correct replacements in March/April.

Still waiting for the fridge and stove we ordered in late June.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852159
11/27/20 01:00 PM
11/27/20 01:00 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I do work for an organization that is considered a critical industry so we have not had to shut down this year. We are not seeing any shortages of raw materials, but we are seeing some increases in lead-times. Other fabricated items we buy are seeing longer leads across the board and shippers seem to be extending delivery times as well. Prices for raw materials over the last four years have been very volatile.

Some of our customers are stretching out or delaying deliveries as they deal with staff reductions due to illness reducing staff levels.

Locally most retail places are hurting. Since tourism is big here, the summer was a bust. I suspect some places here ran into the exact scenario you made about unemployment compensation vs regular wages. Fortunately we pay better than that so our staff had motivation to stay at work.

Will be a mixed bag as we exit out the other side of our current issues.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: TC@HP2] #2852178
11/27/20 01:35 PM
11/27/20 01:35 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Bicycle parts supply chain is broken. If you go to online bike shops you'll find "out of stock item" all over the place. People are buying bikes and parts up from whatever their local bike shop has left and putting them on Ebay for absurd prices and people are buying them. I've seen several examples of $1000 bmx bikes selling for $2,500.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Neil] #2852185
11/27/20 01:44 PM
11/27/20 01:44 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Donald Trump says the virus is no be deal so it must be true. Get back to work.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Stanton] #2852191
11/27/20 01:57 PM
11/27/20 01:57 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
I supply HVAC parts and equipment for contractors. Fortunately we had a lot of stock when this hit because they are all saying they can't get some of the other brand names. About the only thing we can't get right now are mobile home furnaces and some heat exchangers.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Neil] #2852197
11/27/20 02:08 PM
11/27/20 02:08 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

Speaking of bicycles, try finding a used bike now. Even at asinine prices, they're selling? It was easy to find a used bike for $50 or less before covid, now prices start at $200. I have literally seen 2nd hand bikes priced more than what it can currently be bought for new. Makes no sense.

I work for a fabrication shop. So far no issues getting material, but what arrives looks like its the 'bottom of the barrel' stuff......IE, dented, scraped, sometimes rusty.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Stanton] #2852210
11/27/20 02:48 PM
11/27/20 02:48 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by Stanton

Agreed!....everyone should be working no excuses, I've seen nothing but standard full time work with mandatory OT, no cease in orders or supplying vendors/supplies...my employer is actually paying double time for all overtime to keep up with the demand here in the States and overseas.... I'm in the contact industry, we make electrical contacts for every piece of equipment humans take for granted on a daily basis to light/power your planet and equipment

As far as any daily shortages, just the panic stricken scamdemic sh!tters still sucking up all the toilet paper, other than that no noticeable supply shortages for essential daily living here, building materials are plentiful as is home building currently, lots of developments going up at record pace, restaurants are trying their best to stay in business, scamdemic lockdowns/curfews are pretty much ignored/nor enforced around here....

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DAYCLONA] #2852221
11/27/20 03:06 PM
11/27/20 03:06 PM
Crook County, ILL
Mastershake340 Offline
master
Mastershake340  Offline
master

Crook County, ILL
Ammos in extremely short supply. No matter for me, my IL FOID card expired 10/1 and I’d sent in my renewal in August, but our fine state has an estimated 122 business day backlog for processing renewals, so maybe the shortage will be resolved by the time I have my new FOID card hopefully by early spring?

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Mastershake340] #2852243
11/27/20 04:06 PM
11/27/20 04:06 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
WE ordered a hot tub on September 14. Was supposed to be here last week. They are saying another month now.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852248
11/27/20 04:14 PM
11/27/20 04:14 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
What a time to be building anything! A 4x8 sheet of 5/8 OSB is over $20.00 now. Used to be able to buy these for $6.88 a year ago if you looked around. Lumber has tripled at least. What a total cluster fvck.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Mastershake340] #2852262
11/27/20 04:50 PM
11/27/20 04:50 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Ammos in extremely short supply. No matter for me, my IL FOID card expired 10/1 and I’d sent in my renewal in August, but our fine state has an estimated 122 business day backlog for processing renewals, so maybe the shortage will be resolved by the time I have my new FOID card hopefully by early spring?

That I can agree on! ammo is hard hit across the country, I thought I was in heaven when my employer recently acquired a turn key small arms ammo producing plant in Pennsylvania, unfortunately they decided to have me and my crew convert it into a powdered metal electronic component producer... I told them they missed the boat on that one for civilian/police/military contracts, but the owners are of "anti gun" persuasion....

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852290
11/27/20 06:17 PM
11/27/20 06:17 PM
Wills Point, Texas
Hugh Jorgan Offline
master
Hugh Jorgan  Offline
master

Wills Point, Texas
Ordered a chest deep freezer from Nebraska Furniture Mart back in March and still haven't seen it. They are kind enough to hit my credit card for the freezer upon ordering it and call every other month with a new excuse why it is still not available. The latest excuse is "covid".

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852297
11/27/20 06:36 PM
11/27/20 06:36 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
I sell high - end electronic goods into a specialty market. Plenty of our suppliers are experiencing shortages on parts & components. Especially if those components come out of China. One particular supplier in California who manufactures complete assemblies in China is taking 8 - 12 weeks longer than the usual 8 - 12 weeks to fill orders because of the slowdowns in the factories there & the disaster that is LA harbour/customs in the COVID-era....so it's not unusual for projects to be delayed by 3 months....

Last edited by Not_A_Duster; 11/27/20 06:42 PM.

....evil is winning....
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DAYCLONA] #2852310
11/27/20 08:07 PM
11/27/20 08:07 PM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline OP
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline OP
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

Agreed!....everyone should be working no excuses, I've seen nothing but standard full time work with mandatory OT, no cease in orders or supplying vendors/supplies...my employer is actually paying double time for all overtime to keep up with the demand here in the States and overseas.... I'm in the contact industry, we make electrical contacts for every piece of equipment humans take for granted on a daily basis to light/power your planet and equipment

As far as any daily shortages, just the panic stricken scamdemic sh!tters still sucking up all the toilet paper, other than that no noticeable supply shortages for essential daily living here, building materials are plentiful as is home building currently, lots of developments going up at record pace, restaurants are trying their best to stay in business, scamdemic lockdowns/curfews are pretty much ignored/nor enforced around here....

C'mon guys, get real.

The government's reaction (paying people to not work and shutting down businesses) could well be a larger problem than the virus itself for many industries. And just because your industry or particular business hasn't been hit particularly hard does not mean that there are not huge problems in other industries. As with so many other things in this day and age, there are winners and there are losers in virtually every economic wrinkle. And then the Federal government steps in and changes the landscape for all. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

You guys that want to lay every problem at Trump's feet truly have TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). He is living in your head and causes you to not see the world how it really is. I am not a Trump fan boy, but many of the problems being discussed here have more to do with liberal policies than they do with conservative.

Master, again and still
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Not_A_Duster] #2852311
11/27/20 08:09 PM
11/27/20 08:09 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Offline
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Offline
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I work in a packing plant. So far our only issue has been getting CO2. The plants producing it have cut back or shut down a couple times due to covid.

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852326
11/27/20 08:53 PM
11/27/20 08:53 PM
S.E. Missouri
AeroMonte Offline
master
AeroMonte  Offline
master

S.E. Missouri
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
We have been trying to buy a new HD tilt trailer lately and they are few and far between. We can't order the one we want because the plant is shut down.

My son is building a new shop and it is only 3/4 done right now due to certain items on back order. The plants that make those items are shut down. They are not sure when they will be available again so that his shop can be finished.

My neighbor is a supplier in another industry. He says that inventory that comes from overseas has had a few hiccups, but nothing severe. But he says that he is having more and more trouble getting U.S. made stuff.

Locally, our small businesses are dying left and right. Small restaurants are absolutely reeling. Other small businesses are shut down because their employees wanted to be laid off. Many employees could often make more money sitting at home than they could working. Here in Illinois, the Feds kicked in $600 a week on top of the average state unemployment of $150. $750 a week works out to nearly $19 an hour. That is way above the average wage around here. Looks like the small powder coating business down the street from me is done because of that very issue. He had customers that wanted parts coated, but his guys were on unemployment and wanted to stay that way.

I really hope that the forthcoming vaccines are the game changer that they are purported to be. This whole virus thing is a real mess for individuals and for businesses. And I am afraid that the damage will continue to pile up for a while yet even if the vaccines are a go.

DaveRS23, Rice trailer in Poplar Bluff Mo is cranking out trailers daily. I'm sure they will have something you could buy. Every place here is hiring it seems like. Most places here never shut down.

Last edited by AeroMonte; 11/27/20 08:54 PM.
Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: DaveRS23] #2852379
11/27/20 10:18 PM
11/27/20 10:18 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
Originally Posted by DAYCLONA

C'mon guys, get real.

The government's reaction (paying people to not work and shutting down businesses) could well be a larger problem than the virus itself for many industries. And just because your industry or particular business hasn't been hit particularly hard does not mean that there are not huge problems in other industries. As with so many other things in this day and age, there are winners and there are losers in virtually every economic wrinkle. And then the Federal government steps in and changes the landscape for all. Sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

You guys that want to lay every problem at Trump's feet truly have TDS (Trump Derangement Syndrome). He is living in your head and causes you to not see the world how it really is. I am not a Trump fan boy, but many of the problems being discussed here have more to do with liberal policies than they do with conservative.

Don't lump me in the DTS group....lol! I support Trumps agenda....

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2852388
11/27/20 10:47 PM
11/27/20 10:47 PM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Offline
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
What a time to be building anything! A 4x8 sheet of 5/8 OSB is over $20.00 now. Used to be able to buy these for $6.88 a year ago if you looked around. Lumber has tripled at least. What a total cluster fvck.

Even before this we could never get 4X8 of anything for anywhere near 6.88 here. But all lumber has doubled in price. In the summer they said there was short supply and a lot of places had people following lumber trucks into yards. I had no problem getting what I needed in the fall but the prices hurt.

Re: So many things that you can't get right now..... [Re: 5thAve] #2852416
11/28/20 12:35 AM
11/28/20 12:35 AM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
I needed a Square D circuit breaker (double wide, four pole with a 220v in the middle). Square D shut down production when this whole thing hit. Retail price on this particular breaker was around $27. TWO sources claimed to have it. Amazon for about $60, GrayBar for about $110...Got it from Amazon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2