Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: McCandlessboy] #2850449
11/23/20 01:28 PM
11/23/20 01:28 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Originally Posted by McCandlessboy
My brain hurts thinking about what is involved in handling that collection. I have nowhere near the number of cars and it's a full time job just with my stuff. I couldn't imagine 10x. I like how they keep the walls clean and simple. As I've worked on my museum, I've gotten into the Automobila of the 50's, big time. I'm enjoying collecting that as much, if not more than the cars. They've got some amazing signs in there. My place is 12k sqft, they have 10x that haha. Figuring out your layout, the spacing, power layout, it just goes on and on and on. Incredibly impressive.

I used to handle a 165 car collection in three states, tires, batteries, gas, oil changes, and carburetors were always the challenge. With their collection I bet they have a few people to handle it all... work

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: McCandlessboy] #2850468
11/23/20 01:55 PM
11/23/20 01:55 PM
Germany
F
fc7_plumcrazy Offline
master
fc7_plumcrazy  Offline
master
F

Germany
Originally Posted by McCandlessboy
My brain hurts thinking about what is involved in handling that collection. I have nowhere near the number of cars and it's a full time job just with my stuff. I couldn't imagine 10x. I like how they keep the walls clean and simple. As I've worked on my museum, I've gotten into the Automobila of the 50's, big time. I'm enjoying collecting that as much, if not more than the cars. They've got some amazing signs in there. My place is 12k sqft, they have 10x that haha. Figuring out your layout, the spacing, power layout, it just goes on and on and on. Incredibly impressive.

and the cars shown are just a small part of the collection !

Carsten

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: theraif] #2850968
11/24/20 03:57 PM
11/24/20 03:57 PM
Iowa
R
ratroaster Offline
enthusiast
ratroaster  Offline
enthusiast
R

Iowa
Originally Posted by theraif
some near me has/had a white hemi drop top

Beautiful white conv. but unless the lighting is affecting the color appearance it is painted the wrong white. Only one white in 70(EW1) and that is not it. That looks like the brighter 71 only Sno-white.(GW3)

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: Bashton] #2850988
11/24/20 04:40 PM
11/24/20 04:40 PM
usa
W
whomper1 Offline
whomper1  Offline
W

usa
while the cars are all beautiful, and i'll never have anything like that, i am surprised but the lack of correctness on many of the cars.
it really became apparent when they were showing underhood shots of the AARs and T/As

obviously money isnt an issue, so why not make sure that before each car goes on display that it is correct??

because looking at those AARs and T/As with painted or not painted exhaust manifolds and bypass hoses. and all kinds of other details, and i didnt freeze frame and scrutinize, this was just by watching.

someone told me that all these wealthy collectors care about are the vin #s and clean and shinny and it doesnt matter if all of the parts came right out of the year one catalog or if they were correct original parts

but anyway you slice it, that is a great collection of cars and i enjoyed watching the show, look forward to more like that

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: ratroaster] #2851058
11/24/20 07:39 PM
11/24/20 07:39 PM
Utica, Michigan
B
Bashton Offline OP
Bashton  Offline OP
B

Utica, Michigan
Originally Posted by ratroaster
Originally Posted by theraif
some near me has/had a white hemi drop top

Beautiful white conv. but unless the lighting is affecting the color appearance it is painted the wrong white. Only one white in 70(EW1) and that is not it. That looks like the brighter 71 only Sno-white.(GW3)

It is the lighting, as it appears much brighter in this video than what it is.

Bashton

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: whomper1] #2851061
11/24/20 07:47 PM
11/24/20 07:47 PM
Utica, Michigan
B
Bashton Offline OP
Bashton  Offline OP
B

Utica, Michigan
Originally Posted by whomper1
while the cars are all beautiful, and i'll never have anything like that, i am surprised but the lack of correctness on many of the cars.
it really became apparent when they were showing underhood shots of the AARs and T/As

obviously money isnt an issue, so why not make sure that before each car goes on display that it is correct??

because looking at those AARs and T/As with painted or not painted exhaust manifolds and bypass hoses. and all kinds of other details, and i didnt freeze frame and scrutinize, this was just by watching.

someone told me that all these wealthy collectors care about are the vin #s and clean and shinny and it doesnt matter if all of the parts came right out of the year one catalog or if they were correct original parts

but anyway you slice it, that is a great collection of cars and i enjoyed watching the show, look forward to more like that

Each and every car eventually gets "dialed in" for correctness, but garnering awards or impressing the "experts" has never been the goal. With 600+ cars in the fleet, maintaining 350 or so for a rotating display is in itself a full time job. They have several incredible full time employees that maintain the cars, with an emphasis on first making sure the cars are ready to drive at any given time and are safe. They have a white board that makes note of issues, which ranges from basic oil changes and maintenance to major detailing and correcting issues that may be incorrect.

Since having the proper trustworthy people on staff that are capable of doing this is of utmost importance, you can imagine how hard these guys work and how dedicated they are.

Thanks for the kind words on the show and stay tuned, as this is just the beginning.

Bashton

Last edited by Bashton; 11/24/20 07:48 PM.
Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: Bashton] #2851153
11/24/20 10:10 PM
11/24/20 10:10 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
71VBEE Offline
71VBEE  Offline

Cleveland, Ohio
My opinion about the collection is many fold. The collection is phenomenal and most likely has no equal or even anything close to its breath and depth. My hats off to the men who had the vision and means to put it together. To hear that 600 outstanding examples of what defines the muscle car era are in a "Private" collection with limited access to view depresses me. Great muscle cars were interspersed all over America and could be seen at local cruise ins, regional and national meets and special events. Now acquiring ownership is more difficult and most enthusiasts have to be content with admiring from afar. I understand and have heard all sides of the collector car market, pros and cons. I am not complaining, crying or letting jealousy interfere (although I am green with envy), its just my take. I thoroughly enjoy MCACAN every year and appreciate what the Brothers Collection brings to the party. Perhaps the collection model is best for the preservation of the era going forward. I would just like them to seriously consider making it all available to the public because if it stays behind closed doors its awesomeness, relevancy, significance and future may be gone after this generation relegates it to just fond memories of a by gone era.
Steve

1971 Superbee 440-6 auto dana airgrabber
The resto started: Nov 2004, now its 2024 and its 95% finished. I can't believe it is the same car I started with.
1964 Corvette coupe...always gets more attention than the Bee from the general public.
Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: 71VBEE] #2851172
11/24/20 11:19 PM
11/24/20 11:19 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Originally Posted by 71VBEE
My opinion about the collection is many fold. The collection is phenomenal and most likely has no equal or even anything close to its breath and depth. My hats off to the men who had the vision and means to put it together. To hear that 600 outstanding examples of what defines the muscle car era are in a "Private" collection with limited access to view depresses me. Great muscle cars were interspersed all over America and could be seen at local cruise ins, regional and national meets and special events. Now acquiring ownership is more difficult and most enthusiasts have to be content with admiring from afar. I understand and have heard all sides of the collector car market, pros and cons. I am not complaining, crying or letting jealousy interfere (although I am green with envy), its just my take. I thoroughly enjoy MCACAN every year and appreciate what the Brothers Collection brings to the party. Perhaps the collection model is best for the preservation of the era going forward. I would just like them to seriously consider making it all available to the public because if it stays behind closed doors its awesomeness, relevancy, significance and future may be gone after this generation relegates it to just fond memories of a by gone era.
Steve

I haven't watched the video , YET.

But I agree with the above.
But also realize liabilities with opening it to the public has its own challenges . But if it was, I would make it a bucket list place to visit one day

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: gtx6970] #2851240
11/25/20 07:15 AM
11/25/20 07:15 AM
M
McCandlessboy Offline
super stock
McCandlessboy  Offline
super stock
M

Opening up to the public sounds good, until you actually do it. As started, my place is nothing like theirs. I've had a few small events and almost every time it's a cluster. No matter how much pre work I do and things I prepare for, the general public will always find a way to do something you didn't think about. Those that have seen my displays at events, see that I do everything I can to NOT rope off a car. I want people to get close and see everything they can. I've had stuff stolen out of cars, had people open doors, trunks and pretty much act like these cars worth well into 6 figures each are theirs to play with it.

There is also the mental side of it. I tend to hang around my setups if I don't have things roped off because I know the above can and has happened. Same goes for the museum. Makes it difficult for me to enjoy. Now, I'm going to stanchion stuff off for the first time because I can't handle a large crowd without having something happen to a car or display.

Just presenting the other side.

Mike

Re: MCACN 2020 Northwest from The Brothers Collection [Re: McCandlessboy] #2851417
11/25/20 02:52 PM
11/25/20 02:52 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
^^^ Yup. Been there, done that - a Goodguys show years ago, where they "promoted" my 2 cars to an indoor section - won't do that again.
The Hemi car had beer spilled on a fender and a mark running down the side like from a stroller.

In your own museum, I'd wonder how long before someone tries the "slip & fall lottery".

Page 2 of 2 1 2