n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by justinp61
^^This^^ My local track runs a street car shoot out type deal about once a month and there are a bunch of boosted cars and trucks there. It seems most are running turbos on LS engines, although there are some fast blown Mustangs and Camaros that run it. Until the race really took off a couple years ago I did pretty well with my n/a small block but these guys are really getting a handle on the turbos and their chassis now and I'm pretty much fodder. If they have a n/a class I do pretty well and hurt the big block guy feelings quite often. LOL

The tech some of these guys have is amazing. We recently entered a true street radial tire heads up class. 200 treadwear or better (might as well call it 400 treadwear). I figured low 11's or high tens would have them covered as it required the car to be stock interior, no fiberglass, no tubs, etc. and do a 20 mile drive. Traction was going to be the limiting factor so we weighted up the trunk and did some second gear launches.

The car that impressed the most was a late model awd Audi that had nice aftermarket wheels and looked lowered a little. Dude ripped off a 10.17! A TESLA was pretty close running in the mid 10's

Josh King, his Duster is ALL STEEL, bumpers hood etc...all steel. 3480lbs and he has been 4.70's ...... AFTER a 30 mile cruise ! ! (yes on a 315 radial but still thats a fast street car)

....BAD A$$ STREET CAR.....
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847024
11/16/20 01:25 PM
11/16/20 01:25 PM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
I have been looking to upgrade my Cuda with a Hellcrate & some upgrades to bring it into the new millenuim.....but nobody has ponied up to buy the big Hemi in it yet, so I added a Sniper Stealth 4500 efi and Prodash....Man its a nice upgrade in drive-ability and monitoring eveything.... Been seeing how fast those 6.2's are and how reliable and I got to have one. Had the 605 advertised for a while....no takers, so, we go with what we got.

Last edited by Dragula; 11/16/20 03:11 PM.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847053
11/16/20 02:19 PM
11/16/20 02:19 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Originally Posted by n20mstr
Originally Posted by GY3
^^This^^ My local track runs a street car shoot out type deal about once a month and there are a bunch of boosted cars and trucks there. It seems most are running turbos on LS engines, although there are some fast blown Mustangs and Camaros that run it. Until the race really took off a couple years ago I did pretty well with my n/a small block but these guys are really getting a handle on the turbos and their chassis now and I'm pretty much fodder. If they have a n/a class I do pretty well and hurt the big block guy feelings quite often. LOL

The tech some of these guys have is amazing. We recently entered a true street radial tire heads up class. 200 treadwear or better (might as well call it 400 treadwear). I figured low 11's or high tens would have them covered as it required the car to be stock interior, no fiberglass, no tubs, etc. and do a 20 mile drive. Traction was going to be the limiting factor so we weighted up the trunk and did some second gear launches.

The car that impressed the most was a late model awd Audi that had nice aftermarket wheels and looked lowered a little. Dude ripped off a 10.17! A TESLA was pretty close running in the mid 10's

Josh King, his Duster is ALL STEEL, bumpers hood etc...all steel. 3480lbs and he has been 4.70's ...... AFTER a 30 mile cruise ! ! (yes on a 315 radial but still thats a fast street car)

This was stock suspension as well. No backhalf, no ladder bars, etc. Daily driver class. Limited to 275/60/15 tire.

Last edited by GY3; 11/16/20 02:24 PM.

'63 Dodge 330
11.19 @ 121 mph
Pump gas, n/a, through the mufflers on street tires with 3.54's. 3,600 lbs.
10.01 @ 133mph with a 250 shot of nitrous an a splash of race gas. 1.36 60 ft. 3,700 lbs.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: GY3] #2847094
11/16/20 03:43 PM
11/16/20 03:43 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Originally Posted by GY3
Originally Posted by GY3

This was stock suspension as well. No backhalf, no ladder bars, etc. Daily driver class. Limited to 275/60/15 tire.

And it's nicely built..........This is a Good topic here always like to hear other people option on this.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847098
11/16/20 03:45 PM
11/16/20 03:45 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Originally Posted by GY3

If you subtract the amount of guys that will never run a power adder you come up with what we’ll over 50%. Then start dividing it up by turbo builds, nitrous, blowers, etc how many do you have left for each power adder. Builds like josh’s cost way to much for 90% of us. Hell his transmission cost would put most guys out for the year. Then he had this guy build the engine and this guy putting the tune on it. Then add how much help he had at the track and you will see where I’m going with this. Now if you are happy with a high 9 second car or slower throw a Kung fu turbo on it and send it down the road.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2847128
11/16/20 04:43 PM
11/16/20 04:43 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer
Originally Posted by GY3

If you subtract the amount of guys that will never run a power adder you come up with what we’ll over 50%. Then start dividing it up by turbo builds, nitrous, blowers, etc how many do you have left for each power adder. Builds like josh’s cost way to much for 90% of us. Hell his transmission cost would put most guys out for the year. Then he had this guy build the engine and this guy putting the tune on it. Then add how much help he had at the track and you will see where I’m going with this. Now if you are happy with a high 9 second car or slower throw a Kung fu turbo on it and send it down the road.

^^^^^ AND there you go....Typical Mopar Enthusiast response ! ! !
Dont you have a heads up nitrous car??? Sitting????
Josh did whats necessary to run at that level....AND ????? Most Mopar guys wont commit to that. Thats why they all slow bracket cars ! .....FLAME AWAY !!!! LMAO

AND lets go there.....my current trans (Rossler) is 16 yes 16 years old. It cost me 3800.00 so thats......a whopping 237.00 a year . My new trans?? well lets just say its a lot more$$$ but i figure this will be the last one i need, and the gear ratios are what i need to keep up with everyone else. AND hey 4.90s with not as much "help" as Josh, i guess im doing "OK" .....LMAO ! ! !

Last edited by n20mstr; 11/16/20 04:46 PM.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847144
11/16/20 05:08 PM
11/16/20 05:08 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.

Just making a point, just like you reconfirmed. And most wont spend that type of money. I like racing a lot and I mean often. Heads up racing died in my area because you can’t pay big money when 9 cars show up to race. Josh has gone through this at monster Mopar almost every year. Now back to turbos. Kids can buy a new turbo car with a warranty and go pretty fast. So start dividing the kids that like new cars over what many refers to “old junk” and you lost half the crowd. many of these kids today get their fingernails manicured and don’t want getting them dirty. Lol 😂

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: pittsburghracer] #2847147
11/16/20 05:15 PM
11/16/20 05:15 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

Just making a point, just like you reconfirmed. And most wont spend that type of money. I like racing a lot and I mean often. Heads up racing died in my area because you can’t pay big money when 9 cars show up to race. Josh has gone through this at monster Mopar almost every year. Now back to turbos. Kids can buy a new turbo car with a warranty and go pretty fast. So start dividing the kids that like new cars over what many refers to “old junk” and you lost half the crowd. many of these kids today get their fingernails manicured and don’t want getting them dirty. Lol 😂

Monster Mopar 2019 was the biggest field Josh had so far, and it had a lot of BOOSTED cars !!!
IF there is a Monster Mopar in 2021, there will be a lot of 4 sec cars im pretty sure, and a lot will be boosted and FI....lots of laptops. LOL
Thats what it takes.....there is no "budget" heads up or let me rephrase that....there is no "budget" boosted cars. Well unless you think of a junkyard hemi with holley EFI and an Ebay type turbo set up. Thats budget and within a lot more Mopar Guys wheelhouse than they think. Just most Mopar Guys have their head in the sand...LMAO. Its the old purple shaft/727/dana60 mentality.....you have to look at the current trends and if you want to go fast, you have to DO IT. Yes kids are out there and they are tech savvy and can make some crazy stuff happen, they arent afraid to break stuff and they push some stock stuff to way beyond its accepted capabilities. There is a New Gen 3 hemi crowd out there....they just dont come on here because most of us are old enough to be their fathers or even grandfathers....ROTFLMAO ! ! ! !

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847231
11/16/20 07:20 PM
11/16/20 07:20 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I am going to agree with Tony here if we are speaking generally.

I have seen quite a few LS conversions in Valiants because they are cheaper as well, I'm in Australia FYI.

As has already been mentioned, many folks are old school, hence why the uptake to Gen III has been a little slow.

I've never really looked in to boost myself, but I kind of think if you're not making 2000 hp, is it really worth it, haha.

Jokes aside, If someone wants decent power and it to have good street manners, it makes sense really. Some of the Supercharger Store kits are pretty much bolt on.

Alan Jones
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: LA360] #2847243
11/16/20 07:47 PM
11/16/20 07:47 PM
Park Forest, IL
slantzilla Online content
Too Many Posts
slantzilla  Online Content
Too Many Posts

Park Forest, IL
I have enough trouble keeping my slow junk running without boost.......

"Everybody funny, now you funny too."
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: slantzilla] #2847260
11/16/20 08:46 PM
11/16/20 08:46 PM
aZLiViN
J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
My boost goals would be fast enough to at least have fun in 8.5 outlaw.... so basically I’d test most the year to make my one trek to Vegas for Street Car Supernationals every November.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: feets] #2847264
11/16/20 08:56 PM
11/16/20 08:56 PM
New York
polyspheric Offline
master
polyspheric  Offline
master

New York
The out-of-pocket costs to improve the internals of a NA engine for turbo use are lower than those required to achieve a similar power level, in large part, due to the fact that very high RPM is not required, nor is big CFM, $2,500 rockers, fabricated intake manifold, stepped headers, etc. An excellent 1,200 hp single turbo can be had for $2,000 from Precision.
Far more fabrication is required, but not necessarily highly technical - no structural engineering or flow charts needed.
However: money must be budgeted for post-construction adjustments. The difference between something that will go fast and not blow up, and something FAST is lots of dyno and track time (unless you're following a known path closely). The best combination of these factors will vary with ATM, boost psi, gearing, static CR, stall speed, spark, IC size and efficiency, and A:F. In some engines really rich mixture is the only safety net (short spark time didn't do it), and which engines is difficult to predict by design features (the ancient Studebaker V8 does very well). The 2JZ-GTE doesn't look at all special on paper (bore/stroke, port flow, rod ratio, valve sizes), but it delivers big power with tune up settings (psi, spark, A:F) that would be far less powerful, or dangerous in many other engines.
I chose the JZ in part because of my low experience with boost (Corvair and Buick GN only), and many known recipes already proven effective: I'm just following the footsteps.

Boffin Emeritus
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: polyspheric] #2847277
11/16/20 09:23 PM
11/16/20 09:23 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
I have always preferred the roots,when I was in my early teens all the really fast cars had injected, crossrammed or roots HEMI power. So that was my goal, no real overdrive on pump gas and drive to the car shows and cruise nights. Go to the track and overdrive , add octane as needed and go real fast.
I found that IAT's over 160* slowed me down and was a wall that had to be dealt with. Lowering the intake temps should work wonders! Can't just add intercoolers and ICE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wDmNa4g9I

14435375_889008534577040_1093385601668436384_o.jpg14425464_1114470785297203_6238867391566985267_o.jpg

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: n20mstr] #2847290
11/16/20 09:45 PM
11/16/20 09:45 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
There is a New Gen 3 hemi crowd out there....they just dont come on here because most of us are old enough to be their fathers or even grandfathers....ROTFLMAO ! ! ! !
This statement is sad........but true.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: feets] #2847303
11/16/20 10:07 PM
11/16/20 10:07 PM
Fredericksburg Va
P
plycuda Offline
mopar
plycuda  Offline
mopar
P

Fredericksburg Va
i was at a race yesterday thats a daily driver and called real street so out of 12 cars that showed 11 were ls and my satellite.9 were turbo 3 nitrous. but talking to some of them they can get most of the parts for dam near nothing stainless e bay headers and most of the parts bolt on from ebay and couple hundred dollar motors they throw rods and pistons in and dog till it blows and hit the junk yard for another couple hundred dollar block.yeah there were a few high dollar ones. the parts for chevy ls are every where.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: plycuda] #2847333
11/16/20 11:18 PM
11/16/20 11:18 PM
On the parachute mount
N
n20mstr Offline
master
n20mstr  Offline
master
N

On the parachute mount
Originally Posted by plycuda
i was at a race yesterday thats a daily driver and called real street so out of 12 cars that showed 11 were ls and my satellite.9 were turbo 3 nitrous. but talking to some of them they can get most of the parts for dam near nothing stainless e bay headers and most of the parts bolt on from ebay and couple hundred dollar motors they throw rods and pistons in and dog till it blows and hit the junk yard for another couple hundred dollar block.yeah there were a few high dollar ones. the parts for chevy ls are every where.

IF you can LS.... then you can Gen3 it !!!!

Mopar is in a state of change right now, IF you look you see old school brand X guys embrace the new technology and apply it to their old school combos to go real fast......I have a BB Mopar, but it has Coil on Plug, a fuel injection ECU and an LS firing order.....see where im headed?? Im a mopar die hard and ill take that new tech all day long.

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: plycuda] #2847334
11/16/20 11:19 PM
11/16/20 11:19 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
There's a difference between being cash limited and cheap. That being said 800hp tyrbo car is cheaper to build than an 800 N/A. The skill set is different as there is some tubeing and mounting fabrication. It's really basic hot roding. I would be my sons (Diszuter) 360 turbo motor in my chassis would run with-in .10-.20 of what my 15-1 572 -1Indy motor runs. It's been together a while with less maintenance than mine.
Doug

Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: dvw] #2847414
11/17/20 09:11 AM
11/17/20 09:11 AM
Marion, South Carolina [><]
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by dvw
There's a difference between being cash limited and cheap.

iagree iagree I'd put a powerglide and a 9" in my car in a heartbeat if I had the extra money laying around to do it, but I don't have it like that.

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: plycuda] #2847417
11/17/20 09:16 AM
11/17/20 09:16 AM
an8sec70cuda Offline
I Live Here
an8sec70cuda  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by plycuda

iagree It's the same way around here too. Cheap mustang under 3000 lb w/ a junkyard LS motor. Throw heads, cam, and a turbo on it = 5s in the 1/8 mile.

Like Tony said, there is a huge Gen 3 hemi crowd...they just aren't on moparts (for the most part).

CHIP
'70 hemicuda, 575" Hemi, 727, Dana 60
'69 road runner, 440-6, 18 spline 4 speed, Dana 60
'71 Demon, 340, low gear 904, 8.75
'73 Chrysler New Yorker, 440, 727, 8.75
'90 Chevy 454SS Silverado, 476" BBC, TH400, 14 bolt
'06 GMC 2500HD LBZ Duramax
Re: Why aren't there more forced induction cars? [Re: dvw] #2847471
11/17/20 11:15 AM
11/17/20 11:15 AM
Oakland, MI
D
dizuster Offline
master
dizuster  Offline
master
D

Oakland, MI
For some reason, people don't seem to ever compare apples to apples in this situation. "I only want to build a 600hp big block, because there are no good blocks available to build a 1000hp turbo motor?"

There is a REALLY nice 500-800hp sweet spot for cost effective turbo builds. You can take mostly factory parts and with a little fab work and knowledge, build a very nice 10.0 combo (Which the masses trend towards to stay away from the roll cage, cert, NHRA license, etc...)

That being said...
People are scared to try and fabricate
People are intimidated on how to tune (Fuel vs. Timing vs. Boost)
You WILL need electronics to make a good bracket car (Trans brake, boost controller, etc...)

Mine has now been together for over 8 years and been in the 9's since August of 2014. I would say it's probably never made under 550~600hp in it's entire existance, and probably up close to 900hp when set on kill occasionally. Most the time it lives a nice happy 750hp life as I usually run it right around 9.90 or so.

Same stock 360 block, same stock 360 crank, eddy heads, .540 lift hydraulic roller, 3.55 gear.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7