11/03/20 07:38 PM
11/03/20 07:38 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Just wondering if anybody has ever dealt with this before? We have a Maytag washer 16 year-old - nothing digital - all controlled by a timer/controller with a harness that plugs into it. There are 24 pins/wires that comprise this harness. This is the brains of the machine. The machine would fill with water like normal, but then would not progress through the cycles like it normally would. Rather than buy a new washer, I decided to order in one of these controllers through a reputable local parts house. Part came in today, I installed it (VERY easy straightforward job), & this did not solve the problem. Working the same as with the old controller. Any ideas? Here's what the part looks like:

Maytag Washer Timer.jpg

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2841427
11/03/20 07:56 PM
11/03/20 07:56 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
The FIRST step in any appliance repair is to go on YouTube and do a search on your model and problem. I take a crack at repairing virtually anything that breaks that would have a significant replacement cost. Done many repairs to washers, dryers, stoves, dishwashers, etc and YouTube has never let me down - particularly on North American-made products. If you were working on an LG or Samsung I'd say throw in the towel !!!

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Stanton] #2841428
11/03/20 07:57 PM
11/03/20 07:57 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
And I would have suspected the problem to be a water level sensor instead of that do-dad. Always replace the cheap parts first if you're not sure of the problem.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Stanton] #2841445
11/03/20 08:21 PM
11/03/20 08:21 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
This place has saved me plenty of cash and headaches. https://www.appliancepartspros.com

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Stanton] #2841453
11/03/20 08:34 PM
11/03/20 08:34 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by Stanton
The FIRST step in any appliance repair is to go on YouTube and do a search on your model and problem. I take a crack at repairing virtually anything that breaks that would have a significant replacement cost. Done many repairs to washers, dryers, stoves, dishwashers, etc and YouTube has never let me down - particularly on North American-made products. If you were working on an LG or Samsung I'd say throw in the towel !!!

Oh yeah - did the YouTube thing & watched one repair on a machine just like ours - exactly what I did & the part I replaced. Looking at the machine, it looks like there isn't ANYTHING else it could be! This unit controls everything - it is the brains of the machine - it walks it through the spin, the rinse, the re-fill, the spin again, etc. It's the heart. I'm wondering if the dam controller I just installed is BAD??? Anyway, I'm at a dead end until someone that really KNOWS this stuff can give me another idea. If not, then it's off to ABC Warehouse to look at new Speed Queens.

Last edited by Sunroofcuda; 11/03/20 08:36 PM.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2841458
11/03/20 08:58 PM
11/03/20 08:58 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Check out the place I suggested. They give a number of things to look into to solve problems by machine model numbers not just generic along with schematics and parts breakdowns. They get very specific.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: stumpy] #2841478
11/03/20 10:23 PM
11/03/20 10:23 PM
Rochester NY
J
Jer Offline
super stock
Jer  Offline
super stock
J

Rochester NY
Also try repairclinic.com - I use this place as often as I use appliancepartspros.com. Both sites are excellent.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Jer] #2841497
11/03/20 11:34 PM
11/03/20 11:34 PM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
Looks like the step timer. I would agree that the most probable culprit is the level switch. When the level switch is satisfied, typically it'll shut the water off and release the timer which starts the wash cycle. Just for giggles, if you manually advance the timer to the first rinse step, will it fill and continue with the rinse step or does it fill and stop? If you post your washer model number I'll be willing to look at the schematic. Maybe there is a simple way to narrow the possibilities.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: 6PakBee] #2841511
11/04/20 12:21 AM
11/04/20 12:21 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by 6PakBee
Looks like the step timer. I would agree that the most probable culprit is the level switch. When the level switch is satisfied, typically it'll shut the water off and release the timer which starts the wash cycle. Just for giggles, if you manually advance the timer to the first rinse step, will it fill and continue with the rinse step or does it fill and stop? If you post your washer model number I'll be willing to look at the schematic. Maybe there is a simple way to narrow the possibilities.

Right from start, it fills with water to the specified load size, then with the lid closed, once fill level is achieved, it will begin the wash cycle - then just keeps on churning away. From there on, to advance to the next cycle (which would be draining & spinning), you have to manually advance it to the next cycle. The other thing I noticed, is while it is spinning, there is fresh water dumping in the top trying to fill the basin while spinning. Anyway, model # is MAV3905AWW.

I have not shopped for a new washer since this one - holy crap - sticker shock. Probably $1,000 for one comparable to this one. Speed Queens start at $900.00. HELP!

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2841561
11/04/20 05:08 AM
11/04/20 05:08 AM
Phila
P
PhillyRag Offline
top fuel
PhillyRag  Offline
top fuel
P

Phila
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

Right from start, it fills with water to the specified load size, then with the lid closed, once fill level is achieved, it will begin the wash cycle - then just keeps on churning away. From there on, to advance to the next cycle (which would be draining & spinning), you have to manually advance it to the next cycle. The other thing I noticed, is while it is spinning, there is fresh water dumping in the top trying to fill the basin while spinning. Anyway, model # is MAV3905AWW.

I have not shopped for a new washer since this one - holy crap - sticker shock. Probably $1,000 for one comparable to this one. Speed Queens start at $900.00. HELP!

My maytag is even older. Controller is nothing more then a bunch of relay type contacts operated by a motor & gears. If it automatically starts washing after filling, then doesn't advance (count down) (knob turning slowing), then it's the controller. They are finicky sometimes. Sure it was a NEW unit, as some dealers do sell used/refurbished parts for washers. Try doing the same routine a few times & see if controller needs some "conditioning" to work 100%. Sometimes that knob needs to turned just "a wee bit" to get contacts closed/opened. If not contact the seller. The "water dumping" during spinning is a "pre-rinse" cycle. Drains majority of suds/waste, before the "full" rinse cycle begins.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: PhillyRag] #2841570
11/04/20 06:52 AM
11/04/20 06:52 AM
Port Huron, Michigan
MI_Custumz Offline
master
MI_Custumz  Offline
master

Port Huron, Michigan
Have you checked the pump to see if it's clogged? We had a pillow explode in the washer and the fuzzy insides clogged the pump and wouldn't drain. That sent a signal to the controls to shut it down. Washer almost got scrapped. Took the panel off, found the pump, and pulled out lots of material. Then had to run it 2 or 3 times empty to flush the rest out. That meant clearing the pump a couple times more.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: MI_Custumz] #2841590
11/04/20 09:40 AM
11/04/20 09:40 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by MI_Custumz
Have you checked the pump to see if it's clogged? We had a pillow explode in the washer and the fuzzy insides clogged the pump and wouldn't drain. That sent a signal to the controls to shut it down. Washer almost got scrapped. Took the panel off, found the pump, and pulled out lots of material. Then had to run it 2 or 3 times empty to flush the rest out. That meant clearing the pump a couple times more.

Pump seems to be working just fine - when it kicks to drain mode, the water rifles out super strong. I'm going to call the parts house I got the part from & let them know what's going on & see if they have any ideas.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: MI_Custumz] #2841595
11/04/20 10:03 AM
11/04/20 10:03 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota
Found the wiring schematic. It looks like once the level switch is satisfied it energizes the timer which is supposed to start the drive motor through the speed switch. Since the fill sequence completes and the washer motor starts, I'll retract my thought that it is the level switch. I see you have three wash selections, Regular, Delicates, and Wrinkle Control. Does it do the same thing in all three selections? If you start the selection at the Normal timer setting rather than Heavy does it still malfunction?

I have the schematic as a *.docx document but I don't know how to post it.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".
Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: 6PakBee] #2841673
11/04/20 01:02 PM
11/04/20 01:02 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
6Pak - I'll try that in another mode besides Normal & let you know. Thanks for your efforts so far............

UPDATE - just doing a load on a setting I never typically use - the Delicate setting - made no difference. It will not automatically progress through the different phases. (BTW - this machine has 4 settings: "Regular" with Normal Wash / Fast spin, then "Wrinkle Control" with Normal/Slow spin, then "Delicate" with Gentle wash & slow spin, then "Handwash" with extra gentle wash & slow spin.

Last edited by Sunroofcuda; 11/04/20 01:42 PM.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2841755
11/04/20 04:07 PM
11/04/20 04:07 PM
PA
P
PLATINUM6BBL Offline
master
PLATINUM6BBL  Offline
master
P

PA
did you dig out the tech manual from inside the machine? Usually taped to the inside front. Did you run the self diagnostic on the machine?

1969-1/2 A12 LOH Road Runner A4 w/ M6S
13.34 at 104 PSMCDR 9/06 in Mopar Action 8/07
12.95 at 105.94 F.A.S.T. 11/06
Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: PLATINUM6BBL] #2841898
11/04/20 09:10 PM
11/04/20 09:10 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by PLATINUM6BBL
did you dig out the tech manual from inside the machine? Usually taped to the inside front. Did you run the self diagnostic on the machine?

Yep, it's there but I do not think there is a diagnostic procedure. I'll double check.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2842066
11/05/20 10:13 AM
11/05/20 10:13 AM
North Dakota
6PakBee Online content
I Live Here
6PakBee  Online Content
I Live Here

North Dakota

Yep, it's there but I do not think there is a diagnostic procedure. I'll double check.

There may or may not be diagnostics but I'd wager the sequence for the timer contacts is there. Usually it's a chart, graph, or table of what each contact's status is as a cycle progresses. If it is there and you can scan it or take a photo of it and post it, that would be helpful.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: 6PakBee] #2842078
11/05/20 10:56 AM
11/05/20 10:56 AM
A
Andrewh Offline
master
Andrewh  Offline
master
A

The next thing assuming the parts house says it is new, would be to check power to the timer circuit.
perhaps you have a break or bad breaker in line with that power source.

Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: Andrewh] #2842318
11/05/20 09:48 PM
11/05/20 09:48 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
For what it is worth, my advice is don't spend $1000 if you buy a new unit. All those fancy washers are crap. Go out and by the basic unit with an aggitator. Less stuff to break and it actually washes your clothes. 2 washers ago we bought what I thought was a nice unit. That thing took 4 hours to do a load constantly trying to balance itself and once done, all the clothes smelled like a wet dog. After 2 years it did the same as yours. Filled and wouldn't advance. We had it empty itself and the next day bought the old style one and couldn't be happier.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Maytag Washing Machine Woes: [Re: 6PakBee] #2842372
11/06/20 12:08 AM
11/06/20 12:08 AM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.

There may or may not be diagnostics but I'd wager the sequence for the timer contacts is there. Usually it's a chart, graph, or table of what each contact's status is as a cycle progresses. If it is there and you can scan it or take a photo of it and post it, that would be helpful.

Here's the wiring schematic. On the opposite side there was a pretty generic troubleshooting guide, but nothing that addresses the machine not going through the cycles.

Attached PDF document
Maytag Washer Wiring.pdf (32 downloads)

Page 1 of 2 1 2