10/17/20 05:05 PM
10/17/20 05:05 PM
USA
360view Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline OP
Moparts resident spammer

USA
https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/17/21520799/google-chinese-hackers-biden-campaign-mcafee-malware

Sample quote

The group, which Google refers to as APT 31 (short for Advanced Persistent Threat), would email links to users which would download malware hosted on GitHub, allowing the attacker to upload and download files and execute commands. Since the group used services like GitHub and Dropbox to carry out the attacks, it made it more difficult to track them.

“Every malicious piece of this attack was hosted on legitimate services,
making it harder for defenders to rely on network signals for detection,”
the head of Google’s Threat Analysis Group Shane Huntley wrote in the blog post.

End quote

Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: 360view] #2833957
10/17/20 05:16 PM
10/17/20 05:16 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
That's why I use AVG and not McAfee or Norton and download from the original source.

Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: stumpy] #2833991
10/17/20 06:44 PM
10/17/20 06:44 PM
CA
C
crackedback Offline
top fuel
crackedback  Offline
top fuel
C

CA
The other nice one is they are getting into mail servers and acting as agents for sales of everything from heavy equipment to home closings. Sending wire instructions to a new account and poof.... gone... when the money is wired.

If the wiring instructions for your transaction are changed midstream, get on the phone with the bank, sales people, whoever to verify with a real person and NEVER trust any email is my suggestion.

Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: 360view] #2834043
10/17/20 09:18 PM
10/17/20 09:18 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Careful saying anything against China here... You might get spanked for being "political."

Might be best in the current events forum.

....evil is winning....
Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: Not_A_Duster] #2834098
10/18/20 12:59 AM
10/18/20 12:59 AM
NEW JERSEY
AARCONV Offline
master
AARCONV  Offline
master

NEW JERSEY
might be the russians

Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: crackedback] #2834663
10/19/20 02:58 PM
10/19/20 02:58 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by crackedback
The other nice one is they are getting into mail servers and acting as agents for sales of everything from heavy equipment to home closings. Sending wire instructions to a new account and poof.... gone... when the money is wired.

If the wiring instructions for your transaction are changed midstream, get on the phone with the bank, sales people, whoever to verify with a real person and NEVER trust any email is my suggestion.

My wife works for a real estate attorney. They and their bank will not transfer money without a voice confirmation from the bank/lawyers in charge of the transaction for this very reason.
At least a couple of his clients have already been stung by this scam when they used other attorneys.

Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: IMGTX] #2834686
10/19/20 03:51 PM
10/19/20 03:51 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by IMGTX

My wife works for a real estate attorney. They and their bank will not transfer money without a voice confirmation from the bank/lawyers in charge of the transaction for this very reason.
At least a couple of his clients have already been stung by this scam when they used other attorneys.

How is a voice confirmation anymore valid? Being there are more Chinese that speak English, then Americans.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Chinese hackers trying new trick with legit websites [Re: jcc] #2834692
10/19/20 04:21 PM
10/19/20 04:21 PM
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by IMGTX

How is a voice confirmation anymore valid? Being there are more Chinese that speak English, then Americans.

The people at the bank know the lawyers and they have prearranged clerks to handle the transfers. No transfers can be done without the specific clerk that handles that account talking to specific people at the law firm. Nothings fool proof but so far so good for them. They also always have to talk to the parties involved and never go by emailed instructions alone. That is where the scams come in. Emails get sent that involve the original people with but with fake wiring instructions. How the scammers know who is involved and what person's emails are involved I don't know but it happens a lot.