10/17/20 03:22 PM
10/17/20 03:22 PM
M
MoreParts Offline OP
super stock
MoreParts  Offline OP
super stock
M

So I've done an in car replacement of the coupling bearing and a clean up up my steering wheel bearing in my 1970 Challenger console auto. I noticed the middle lockout tube bearing has a little play in it. I would imagine no play is how it should be. I've seen these sold by a few vendors. Has anyone had any luck with thes?. Since the job is in a tight spot, the part is expensive, and I'm afraid if I remove the original I may not be able to get this one positioned correctly to lock without loosing it. Is it possible to push the bearing too far up the shaft? Does anyone have any experience with these? https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=102-C29S

I'm also having a problem with my slapstick. I've replaced all the bushing on the rods and readjusted; however, I can't get it to click into first gear. It still works, but I don't hear the click. Would the Lower Lockout Tube Bearing have an effect on that as well?

Just found a pic of one to add to make it more clear than the link.

split.jpg
Last edited by MoreParts; 10/17/20 03:39 PM.
Re: Challenger Steering Column Bearings [Re: MoreParts] #2834589
10/19/20 12:17 PM
10/19/20 12:17 PM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
On the slapstick.
First I would disconnect the rod/lever from the shifter under the console plate. Move the shifter to it's 1st gear position to be sure it "clicks" like you expect. Just to be sure that the shifter is not bad.
Leave the rod/Lever disconnected for now.
Next, disconnect the rod to the steering column lockout to be sure it isn't binding the shifter.
Move the transmission lever to Park (lever rotated Fully to the back position on the transmission.) Put the shifter in park and when you try to connect the rod/lever again it should slip right in. If not adjust the linkage with the adjustment link on the transmission lever rod.
Once you have adjusted the linkage to slip in and out when the transmission and shifter are both in park. Move the shifter to 1st and see if it still slips in and out. If not the problem is probably the wrong lever somewhere in the system. Probably on top of the transmission since there are a couple different lengths used over the years. IIRC.
Check for worn linkage where the rods and levers connect. They wear a lot. Also check the vertical bellcrank going from the transmission through the tunnel to the rod from the shifter should be vertical. There are two different brackets on the bottom of the bellcranks (A727 & A904 transmissions used different brackets). Someone may have bent the wrong bracket in an attempt to make it work and messed up the geometry.

As for the Interlock tube they are not a tight fit item in the first place. There will be a little slick so if it isn't hitting metal to metal you may not need the column bearing. If you are talking an 1/8" play you will be OK.

Once you get the shifter working and clicking to your liking then install the rod to the interlock. If the clicking in first stops then loosen the adjustment on the interlock and adjust it while in first. There is a lot more leeway on that interlock system than the shifter itself.

hope it helps

Re: Challenger Steering Column Bearings [Re: IMGTX] #2834649
10/19/20 02:25 PM
10/19/20 02:25 PM
M
MoreParts Offline OP
super stock
MoreParts  Offline OP
super stock
M

Thanks, IMGTX! That helps a lot. The info on the 1/8 gap is particularly helpful with the interlock tube. I have some slop, but no where close to 1/8. The shifter engages well into each gear except 1st. After a lot of head scratching I had my wife move it through the gears while I observed and I think I found the source of my problem. A misrouted tranny line. I see it butt up against it when I try moving from 2nd to 1st.

tranny.jpg