10/14/20 06:10 PM
10/14/20 06:10 PM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline OP
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline OP
top fuel

MD
What do people use for the material that you glue on the SE rear window plug?
I heard of people using bondo to correct for misalignment but that seems to be a lot work.
Thanks for any info

plug material.jpg
Re: SE Plug Material? [Re: RTSE4ME] #2832908
10/15/20 03:58 AM
10/15/20 03:58 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
The factory's approach to "smoothing" over the plug install was rather crude with the thought that the vinyl would cover the "sin".....long term it rears it's ugly head when the vinyl settles/shrinks, I would not use "bondo", as you'll experience the same results down the road, use a polyester based product like Mar-glass or USC Duraglass short strand fillers, finish out the plug/roof like you would a body panel for paint, as a vinyl top will not hide short cuts taken...

Here's the factory prints for novelty and a pic of what most original cars experienced as the vinyl/plug/tape/masking aged...

Mike

sesesesesesesese.JPGsesesesesesesesse.JPG
Re: SE Plug Material? [Re: DAYCLONA] #2832986
10/15/20 11:57 AM
10/15/20 11:57 AM
MD
RTSE4ME Offline OP
top fuel
RTSE4ME  Offline OP
top fuel

MD
Thank you Mike, I thought I could take the easy way out.
I have read the factory didn't glue the vinyl to the plug would you glue the vinyl to the plug?
The last person glued directly to the plug.

Re: SE Plug Material? [Re: RTSE4ME] #2833066
10/15/20 03:22 PM
10/15/20 03:22 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Originally Posted by RTSE4ME
Thank you Mike, I thought I could take the easy way out.
I have read the factory didn't glue the vinyl to the plug would you glue the vinyl to the plug?
The last person glued directly to the plug.

You have 2 routes you can take, not knowing the stage your car is at, and how much time/effort you want to apply? but if the vehicle is in the "restoration/refurbishing" phase, Option 1, I would reset/shim the plug to bring it almost flush with the roof skin IF it's lower than 1/8" in the larger window channel, and finish it in with the fillers I listed above, if done properly you should have a slim taper of filler from the SE window trim perimeter to an 1/8" max thickness to the plug/roof transition area/perimeter, then you can glue the vinyl to the plug and basically treat the roof and plug as the same...

option 2 is to do as the factory did and tape/foam mask the plug to create a "padded" area around the rear window, then you DON't glue the vinyl to the foam padding just the metal surrounding roof areas around the plug and the bare widow channel of the plug, the vinyl over the foam will basically "hover"....eventually UV/sun heat/age the vinyl around the plug will shrink/stretch at a greater rate than that glued to the steel roof and you'll see telegraphing of the plug/foam/tape

Personally I'd opt for option 1 for long term stability of the vinyl roof, unless OEM is your goal, as far as the cellular foam, any good fabric/marine-automotive/upholstery shop should have various thickness to choose from

Mike