M
moparjack44 Offline OP
enthusiast
moparjack44  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Halifax, VA.
This forum not used much. confused
Where do rest of you Hot Rodders get good info? Much of the info I get here, I use, and the guys are great. But some times, need info from someone that understands the challenges when working on Hot Rods.

Jack

K.I.S.S.
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparjack44] #2832670
10/14/20 12:26 PM
10/14/20 12:26 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparjack44] #2832681
10/14/20 12:50 PM
10/14/20 12:50 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
this forum used to be more active quite a few years ago.
i guess facepage took a lot of guys, and for some, it was the difficulty posting pictures.
as i don't have a "smart" [?] phone, i've never experienced any trouble with pictures, but my desk top isn't new either.
as to the challenges of building a hot rod, [my 33 dodge humpback delivery has been an ongoing project for over 45yrs] i pick up info from most of the forums here. i guess i just fish around until i find what i need.
i am a member of the H.A.M.B. but i seldom go over there. i'm not sure why.

i guess the question becomes "what are you working on, and what do you need to know or get help with ?"

i have been playing with cars since birth, and i'm willing to share anything i can with anyone, especially my mistakes. biggrin
over the past 50 years, i have helped friends build 20 or more cars from a T bucket, numerous pre-war cars, 50's cars, and muscle cars.
during that time, i built a 47 plymouth sedan, and a 38 plymouth coupe. i'm now involved with a friend who is working on a 58 impala, a 53 mercury sedan, and a 36 hudson sedan that had a barn collapse on.
i was a machinist for over 42yrs before retirement, and have fabricated a ton of parts over the years.
don't be afraid to ask questions on any subject. someone will be able to help.

the basics of a hot rod are similar to muscle cars, yet slightly different because of the smaller package older vehicles have to contain the systems needed to function.
i don't know if this was any help. i'm just an old retired guy, but i still love playing with cars. laugh2
here's my humpback. 98% fabbed by me, including the chassis, front suspension [a 3 1/2yr project in itself], steering system including the steering column, and it isn't done yet. although it is still almost the same vision i had for it back in the early 70's.
beer

P9070001.JPG
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparx] #2832757
10/14/20 03:29 PM
10/14/20 03:29 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Some of us are building older Moaprs. Ask away.

I'm in the process of fuel injecting my 51 Plymouth's original flathead 6. Dual 1bbl TBI using Microsquirt, a Thickstun intake and dual webber throttle bodies.

I'll probably end up with an A833OD behind the flattie and discs up front.

Not sure what I want to do with the original IFS, it can be made to perform but it's design interferes with putting wide rims up front and I was hoping to slide some P255/50R17's in there with Moon discs. I can run OEM Ford rims in the back no sweat it's just about perfect, but up front the offset is wrong and the rim hits the UCA before I can even bolt it up. I'd need custom offset rims made to work and it's real tight, really tight.

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: Sniper] #2832992
10/15/20 12:13 PM
10/15/20 12:13 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i for one, am fascinated with your inline 6 fuel injection project. keep us updated on it's progress if possible.

OP, another thing i might add. even if a topic does not pertain to a particular item a guy may be interested in, lots of times tidbits can be gleaned for later use.
get a notebook and jot it down for future reference. [so you don't forget like i do.]
beer

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparx] #2833005
10/15/20 12:36 PM
10/15/20 12:36 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Then you'll forget where the notebook is, lol.

BTDT. Drove to Ace Hardware today to get some stuff. Got out the car, walked half way to the door, went back and got my mask, turned around got halfway to the door and guess what? No wallet. Went home, got my wallet,, went back to ACE bought a hose end sprayer to spray for weeds. Spent extra on a US made sprayer. Went home, sprayed the entire yard only to find out the dang sprayer was not proper assembled and I just did nothing more than water those weeds.

I fixed the dang thing and called a lid on the day,

I should of went grocery shopping instead, but the way things are going for me I would have filled my cart, got it all rung up then found out I didn't have my wallet, done that twice in the last two months.

So I am waiting for supervision before I get on the rest of the EFI project, lol. Actually, it's a father son project and I only get him one weekend a month.

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: Sniper] #2833379
10/16/20 11:11 AM
10/16/20 11:11 AM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
i'm lucky, my ACE is only two houses away.
and i went grocery shopping yesterday WITH a list, but bought MORE things than were on it ! realcrazy
i suffer from CRS, CSS, CHS, "oldtimers disease", and have health issues to boot. i think i'm hopeless...........

anyway, keep your son interested in that EFI project. i envy you, as i don't have a son [or daughter for that matter].
beer

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparx] #2833489
10/16/20 02:17 PM
10/16/20 02:17 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Thanks to my hoarding disorder, I rarely have to leave the house for common hardware. I recently did a transmission upgrade and the only thing I didn't have on hand was the adapter and I had to farm out the driveshaft build...everything else was in my stash of parts/hardware.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparx] #2835601
10/21/20 12:51 PM
10/21/20 12:51 PM
Halifax, VA.
M
moparjack44 Offline OP
enthusiast
moparjack44  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Halifax, VA.
Originally Posted by moparx
i guess facepage took a lot of guys, and for some, it was the difficulty posting pictures.
as i don't have a "smart" [?] phone, i've never experienced any trouble with pictures, but my desk top isn't new either.
as to the challenges of building a hot rod, [my 33 dodge humpback delivery has been an ongoing project for over 45yrs] i pick up info from most of the forums here. i guess i just fish around until i find what i need.

i guess the question becomes "what are you working on, and what do you need to know or get help with ?"

i have been playing with cars since birth, and i'm willing to share anything i can with anyone, especially my mistakes. biggrin
over the past 50 years, i have helped friends build 20 or more cars from a T bucket, numerous pre-war cars, 50's cars, and muscle cars.
during that time, i built a 47 plymouth sedan, and a 38 plymouth coupe. i'm now involved with a friend who is working on a 58 impala, a 53 mercury sedan, and a 36 hudson sedan that had a barn collapse on.
i was a machinist for over 42yrs before retirement, and have fabricated a ton of parts over the years.

the basics of a hot rod are similar to muscle cars, yet slightly different because of the smaller package older vehicles have to contain the systems needed to function.
i don't know if this was any help. i'm just an old retired guy, but i still love playing with cars. laugh2
here's my humpback. 98% fabbed by me, including the chassis, front suspension [a 3 1/2yr project in itself], steering system including the steering column, and it isn't done yet. although it is still almost the same vision i had for it back in the early 70's.
beer

Thanks. I too am retired, and old. Been into cars forever, but took me til I was 50 before I could afford a hot rod. Bought it about 20 years ago, got it running, and drove for about 2 years. Parked, and redid, with a lot of help and money. I drive the snot out it, that what I wanted it for. Do not own a trailer. It is 48 DeSoto 4door. 1st Gen 392 Hemi, 727 tranny, mopar 8 3/4 open rear (3:23). I also am member of HAMB. Not very 'puter savy, so have been unable to post pictures on this site.

Jack

K.I.S.S.
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: Sniper] #2835607
10/21/20 01:04 PM
10/21/20 01:04 PM
Halifax, VA.
M
moparjack44 Offline OP
enthusiast
moparjack44  Offline OP
enthusiast
M

Halifax, VA.
Originally Posted by Sniper
Some of us are building older Moaprs. Ask away.

I'm in the process of fuel injecting my 51 Plymouth's original flathead 6. Dual 1bbl TBI using Microsquirt, a Thickstun intake and dual webber throttle bodies.

I'll probably end up with an A833OD behind the flattie and discs up front.

Not sure what I want to do with the original IFS, it can be made to perform but it's design interferes with putting wide rims up front and I was hoping to slide some P255/50R17's in there with Moon discs. I can run OEM Ford rims in the back no sweat it's just about perfect, but up front the offset is wrong and the rim hits the UCA before I can even bolt it up. I'd need custom offset rims made to work and it's real tight, really tight.

I can feel your pain. On front of the 48 DeSoto, I had to go to 185/60/15, but working fine. Little bigger in the rear. Lot of people cut up fenders to use bigger tires and wheels. I am a great support of not destroying the body, designed by some one much smarter than me.

Jack

K.I.S.S.
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparjack44] #2835654
10/21/20 02:08 PM
10/21/20 02:08 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
my humpback came out of a swamp in south carolina. if i knew then what i know now [sound familiar ? laugh2] i would have left it there.
the windshield posts had been cut with a torch just above the cowl, and the rear door pillars cut at the rockers. the body [what was left of it] was rolled into the swamp and the rest used as a hoopty until the engine expired.
after i got it home, i started to find out how hard it was to find body parts for the first generation of these things.
then, after several years of studying my plan of attack, i came to realize i would be further along if i built a new chassis, rather than modify the original.
one thing i can say about this project, even though it has taken me generations to get to where i am today, it has taught me many things and skills i might have not been privy to if i had delved into a mainstream hotrod. up
beer

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparjack44] #2835666
10/21/20 02:25 PM
10/21/20 02:25 PM
nowhere
S
Sniper Offline
master
Sniper  Offline
master
S

nowhere
Originally Posted by moparjack44

I can feel your pain. On front of the 48 DeSoto, I had to go to 185/60/15, but working fine. Little bigger in the rear. Lot of people cut up fenders to use bigger tires and wheels. I am a great support of not destroying the body, designed by some one much smarter than me.

Jack

I'm a bit luckier here, already running 215's all around. P255/50R15's on cop car rims fit just fine in the back, I can put much, much larger there. I can run that size up front if I can find a 15" rim with the perfect offset. As it stands that size on cop car rims with a 1.5" spacer just barely clears everywhere but the UCA pivot at full lock. I might be able to run a bit more spacer but then it gets real close to the inner fender lip, unless I roll it.

Might just go narrower

Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: Sniper] #2835807
10/21/20 07:51 PM
10/21/20 07:51 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I've built several Mopar street rods over the years, but I probably have a bit of an unfair advantage, I owned my own welding shop for 25 years. A lot of what I did was structural rust repair of cars and trucks. Not much about a car's structure bothers me.
Just today I cut the wheel well arches off the front fenders of a 49 Dodge 1/2 ton pickup fenders. The truck sheet metal has been installed on a Dakota 4x4 chassis and the wheel arches were too far rearward, and too low. I moved it forward 2" and upward 1". This one is going to have a little bondo in it, the guy doesn't want to pay me to metal finish the arch move, partly because that at some point this fender was damaged, and someone really worked it over before he put a gallon of filler in it. Its more straight then it was, but there is only so much a guy can do with them before the cost gets out of hand. Tomorrow I will build an inner fender for this side. Then I will be attacking the other front fender, probably next week. Gene

100_0395.JPG100_0390.JPG100_0418.JPG
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparx] #2836650
10/23/20 06:05 PM
10/23/20 06:05 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by moparx

beer

That car reminds me of the Crocodile Dundee rig

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln
Re: Street Rod Forum [Re: moparjack44] #2836652
10/23/20 06:08 PM
10/23/20 06:08 PM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted by moparjack44
This forum not used much. confused
Where do rest of you Hot Rodders get good info? Much of the info I get here, I use, and the guys are great. But some times, need info from someone that understands the challenges when working on Hot Rods.

Jack

A lot of guy are bailing in favor of a more user friendly site. Only exception is the racers forum. Sometimes good info there. With all the pop ups makes it hard to use a phone to post. I don’t even try.

My HR for now

6558CCF2-E95A-4022-93DF-C6671CAE6B22.jpeg
Last edited by dart4forte; 10/23/20 06:11 PM.

“So if it’s on the internet it must be true”

Abe Lincoln