Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
OrangeProwler  Offline OP
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
I'm posting this to gather additional information about a potential move to a few different states. Been doing some deep thinking and soul searching lately with things that have happened and learned the past few years. The states I'm considering are Wyoming, W/NW Montana, Idaho, Eastern Washington, Western South Dakota & maybe Western North Dakota. I currently reside north of Indianapolis(been here 14 years) and grew up near the KY/TN border near Appalachian Mountains.

Would desire to move to W/NW Montana or Eastern Washington but, I've been seeing real estate prices go extremely high there more recently. I've been hearing/reading different things about the states but, wanted to hear from the members who chime in here that live in these states. Like to hear the pros and cons of these state in your opinion if you don't mind. I know a few but, not all. Also, another thing is how is medical care in those states as well? Thank you in advance.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2829828
10/07/20 02:03 PM
10/07/20 02:03 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
I did a similar search in 2002-2004, chose Sandpoint, Idaho. Value, taxes, political & social climates, small-town pace, and beauty sealed the deal.
I have friends in E WA & MT who are happy there as well. You do need to be OK with Winter.
Property's really increased in price due to others discovering the area. Lots of building going on South of me
Jobs, income, and relative ease of some services are not at the level of many places I've lived, kinda comes with the territory.
Locally, the major medical centers are Coeur d'Alene & Spokane, with excellent & cutting-edge care available.
Back then I researched WA, OR, NV, NM, AZ, MT - and have lived in IL, CA, HI, NJ & PA and spent time in other states too.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: topside] #2829835
10/07/20 02:10 PM
10/07/20 02:10 PM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Online content
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Online Content
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
South Dakota is full ..

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: topside] #2829910
10/07/20 03:42 PM
10/07/20 03:42 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Thank you Topside. One thing I should have mentioned is that I spent about three years in the Northern Midwest near Canada but, it has been about 14 since I last lived/visited there. Visited South Dakota, North Dakota, Montana, Northern Idaho, and Washington but, that has been I said 14-15 years ago since I was last in those areas so around 2005-2006 and I know a lot has changed in that time. Originally, I was considering NW Montana, N. Idaho, and E. Washington heavily but, chose here instead for a multitude of different reasons at the time.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: bigdad] #2829917
10/07/20 03:46 PM
10/07/20 03:46 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Originally Posted by bigdad
South Dakota is full ..

Of wind? Haha, I've been to South Dakota a few times especially in January near Custer but, as I said it's been a long time ago. Driven through Wall, Rapid City, and some of the other places. Driven the back roads to part of Eastern Wyoming but, never made it to Devils Tower.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830014
10/07/20 04:47 PM
10/07/20 04:47 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Do some browsing here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830058
10/07/20 05:57 PM
10/07/20 05:57 PM
Tri-Cities, Washington
V
VITC_GTX Offline
master
VITC_GTX  Offline
master
V

Tri-Cities, Washington
I live in the Tri-Cities which is in the southeast portion of Washington State. I really love a lot of things about this area.

Pros-

Work Opportunities:
- We have some awesome work opportunities here. Hanford is just north of town and the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (where I work) is in the north end of town. They work done there is amazing (research and operations). I believe the Tri-Cities has the highest numbers of PhDs per capita than any other place in the US due to the recruiting done at the Lab and Hanford.
- Due to Hanford and the Lab being in town there are a lot of science and technology companies around as well.

The weather:
- we average ~7.5" rain a year
- we get ~6" snow a year on average
- close to 300 days of sunshine a year

Outdoor activities:
- Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers converge here. More water that you know what do with (skiing, fishing, boating, etc)
- Drive one hour east or west to be in the mountains with great hunting (birds, deer, elk, bear, moose, etc)
- a lot of hiking all over eastern Washington

Population:
- Definitely not a small town but far from the big city. ~220K for the three cities (Richland, Pasco, Kennewick)
- Plenty of businesses to provide services and what ever you need.

Cons-
Weather:
- The wind blows here a lot. During the spring and summer we get drainage winds (15-25 mph) during the evenings

Cost of living:
-Houses have gone up a lot here in the last 5-ish years (average is probably $400K-ish, nice homes are $600K+)

Politics:
-THE ENTIRE STATE IS CONTROLED BY THE WEST SIDE (SEATTLE AREA). THE POPULATION OF THE SEATTLE METRO AREA IS HALF THAT OF THE ENTIRE STATE. WHEN YOU COMBINE THAT WITH THE OTHER WEST SIDE CITIES THE EAST SIDE HAS ABSOLUTELY NO SAY IN HOW THE STATE/FEDERAL GOVT IS RUN. I THINK YOU SEE SIMULAR ISSUES IN EASTERN OREGON AND SOME PARTS OF CALIFORNIA.

Overall, I really like where I live (I’ve been here 52 years). I do wish I could have more influence on the State and Federal elected officials but other than that I would highly recommend the area.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: VITC_GTX] #2830138
10/07/20 08:45 PM
10/07/20 08:45 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Funny as I grew up north of Indy and am planning a move to the TN/KY border next year. I have a good friend that just moved to southeast Oregon and he loves it. He was thinking of Montana also but found a great property in Oregon. Sounds like a good place to be, maybe become the state of Jefferson soon...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830159
10/07/20 09:55 PM
10/07/20 09:55 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
The wife and I are also considering a move in the next couple of years. We have looked at North Idaho, Western MT, SW Colorado as well as eastern TN, Western NC, and N. GA. A lot depends on what you value. We have found houses in our range in all these places. Several states are more friendly to guns, hotrods, etc. Then there are the weather considerations. Hard to believe but Bayfield CO or Divide CO get much more snow than Kalispell or Athol Idaho. Water availability is much better in Idaho and Western MT than CO. TN probably has the best deal for retirees, but a 9% sales tax. When finding a location, you of course want to look at medical availability, but not just that. Out west things are far apart. I remember coming out of Casper, WY and there was a sign saying next gas 120 miles. They weren't kidding. A house may have a great view or be on a great piece of property but might not have access to electricity, internet, have a pharmacy nearby. In the east, things are closer of course. Take all the things into consideration. Weather, medical, taxes, car laws, gun laws, water availability, etc. But if you have kids like we do, are they going to be able to live in a city nearby(They have to work) and will they move. Being remote might sound nice, but how remote do you want to be as you age. We want 5/10 acres and you can get that out west, but somebody is going to need to plow that driveway and sometimes the road to get there. You may also need AWD cars.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: klunick] #2830192
10/08/20 12:14 AM
10/08/20 12:14 AM
South Bend
John Brown Offline
top fuel
John Brown  Offline
top fuel

South Bend

July 19th should be "Drive Like Rockford Day". R.I.P. Jimmie.
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: TC@HP2] #2830240
10/08/20 09:27 AM
10/08/20 09:27 AM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Originally Posted by TC@HP2
Do some browsing here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/

Thank you I've already went there on & off but, wanted to make sure the information I was getting wasn't biased since the rumor mill is out there. I'll keep looking though.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: VITC_GTX] #2830243
10/08/20 09:33 AM
10/08/20 09:33 AM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Originally Posted by VITC_GTX
I live in the Tri-Cities which is in the southeast portion of Washington State. I really love a lot of things about this area.

Overall, I really like where I live (I’ve been here 52 years). I do wish I could have more influence on the State and Federal elected officials but other than that I would highly recommend the area.

Thank you VITC_GTX. I've considered or around the area. Probably a small town out more out in the country or away. Been through part of Eastern Washington but, not all of it.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: Rhinodart] #2830245
10/08/20 09:40 AM
10/08/20 09:40 AM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Funny as I grew up north of Indy and am planning a move to the TN/KY border next year. I have a good friend that just moved to southeast Oregon and he loves it. He was thinking of Montana also but found a great property in Oregon. Sounds like a good place to be, maybe become the state of Jefferson soon...

Haha yes it is funny. If you plan moving on to the TN/KY then you'll be close enough to the Smoky Mountains and Daniel Boone National Forest. I had a family member that moved to Oregon but, never really knew and met them twice in my life before they passed. Heard it was nice there though. Going to wait to see what happens within the next year or so.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: klunick] #2830249
10/08/20 09:51 AM
10/08/20 09:51 AM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
klunick and John Brown thank you as well. One thing I would like to have access to nice lakes/rivers/streams/scenic place to have a nice place to go or just drive to get away. Medical treatment is definitely on my list but, I don't mind driving if I have to get treatment as well. I don't mind things being apart as I generally keep to myself for the most part. I don't need a ton of acreage or big home. I would like to have a little land and a small shop/garage/building to store things and relax. John, I'll have to check out that link. Thank you all again.

Last edited by RustyMopar01; 10/08/20 09:51 AM.
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830315
10/08/20 11:26 AM
10/08/20 11:26 AM
kalispell montana
jwilson 61 Offline
jwilson 61  Offline

kalispell montana
Hi, I live in Kalispell and can tell you I love it here, after growing up in eastern Montana this is a much better climate. We still get alot of snow but it is easily tolerated if a person is prepared.The biggest issue I have is that our property values have been skyrocketing due to the influx of more and more "foreigners" and the problem that brings is many left their states to get away from political garbage and then they bring it here and try to instill their ideas and mantras here. I don't understand that, If they like that stuff stay where they are. The property taxes have also risen substantially because of it. On the good side we have many lakes , creeks and mountains all around us and Glacier Park and Flathead Lake and it is a beautiful place to call home, I just wish it could be back like it used to be where everyone knew everyone and watched out for each other. we still have a small town feel but it is gradually going away unfortunately.

70 cuda 440 6bbl Auto with a dana 60
68 road runner QQ1 383 auto
1970 6 barrel 4 speed Superbird FY1 number matching
15 Challenger 6.4 SRT pearl White 6 Speed
72 Cuda 440 5 speed
71 Road Runner 440 4 speed
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: jwilson 61] #2830445
10/08/20 03:49 PM
10/08/20 03:49 PM
Middle of A Field
O
OrangeProwler Offline OP
top fuel
top fuel
O

Middle of A Field
Thank you jwilson. Yes I've been reading and hearing about that as well. That's one of the few areas I have considered and there here's a few towns I've considered near the Flathead Valley but, waiting to see what happens with the market and other things in a the upcoming months. I have seen how prices have gotten high there. I've been through Kalispell/Columbia Falls a few times but, as I said it has been many years ago and things were different then. I'm not even sure if you all had a Walmart back then but, that was 2003-2004ish I believe. Last I was there was driving through on HWY 2 going west.

Last edited by RustyMopar01; 10/08/20 03:50 PM.
Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830504
10/08/20 06:26 PM
10/08/20 06:26 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
There are smallish towns in Oregon that look low key when I've been thru them. Baker City, The Dalles Pendleton Vale, etc.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830512
10/08/20 06:51 PM
10/08/20 06:51 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Might want to start with climate. Here in Oregon you can live on the beach, on a mountain, in the desert, in a forest, etc. You can also live in a dense urban area such as Portland or you can find places where your closest neighbor is 50 miles away.

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: John Brown] #2830530
10/08/20 07:45 PM
10/08/20 07:45 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne

They list Omaha as # 6 on the list of best places to retire. Hmm, evidently they're not considering taxes wink down

Re: Feedback About A Potential Move [Re: OrangeProwler] #2830532
10/08/20 07:54 PM
10/08/20 07:54 PM
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Originally Posted by RustyMopar01
Originally Posted by Rhinodart

Haha yes it is funny. If you plan moving on to the TN/KY then you'll be close enough to the Smoky Mountains and Daniel Boone National Forest. I had a family member that moved to Oregon but, never really knew and met them twice in my life before they passed. Heard it was nice there though. Going to wait to see what happens within the next year or so.

The wife and I took out honeymoon in the Smoky's, love that area! I lived in Bristol, VA when I was a pre-teen and loved it there too. We plan on Portland, TN just south of the KY border close to Bowling Green and Nashville and still close enough to do the Mopar shows in the Midwest. I don't think I could go west, been there enough to know how it is, not all bad but not my cup of tea either. twocents

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Page 1 of 2 1 2