Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
Originally Posted by billohio
Originally Posted by fastmark
My wife is gluten free or she could not survive. I think there is more too this whole glyphosate poison than the government is willing to admit. It is sprayed on everything. It is drenched on wheat. I know plenty of wheat farmers in Texas. I won’t even hunt deer in wheat fields anymore. Our wheat is so genetically modified, it not like is was long ago. Some of us that have been exposed to lots of chemicals in the auto hobby are figuring this stuff is not good for us. If you can put a patch on the skin and it medicates you then what does this stuff do when it hits our hands? Think about it.

There is no such thing as GMO wheat. You can not spray glyphosate on wheat. If you do, it will die.

Genetically
Modified
Organism

Wheat can definitely be GMO, however, it's not one of the crops that has been genetically modified.
https://gmoanswers.com/ask/what-are...gCFixOCeCJwD8GeF61t5PWjjLDBoCrxgQAvD_BwE

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2822106
09/17/20 11:07 PM
09/17/20 11:07 PM
Between Houston & Galveston TX
SattyNoCar Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile
SattyNoCar  Offline
Smarter than no class Flappergass by a mile

Between Houston & Galveston TX

The way I understand it is that its not that the wheat was modified, how its processed has changed as well as what is added to give it longer shelf life. shruggy

Some say what is added when wheat is removed to make something 'Gluten Free' is just as bad if not worse, I don't know. I just know I do feel better following a Gluten Free diet.

John

The dream is dead, long live the dream.......😥
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: SattyNoCar] #2822115
09/17/20 11:45 PM
09/17/20 11:45 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Stop watching the news!!!

Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: Dcuda69] #2822161
09/18/20 08:28 AM
09/18/20 08:28 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Stop watching the news!!!

iagree

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: bigdad] #2822583
09/19/20 12:54 PM
09/19/20 12:54 PM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
I'm glad you made an appointment! If you don't like the doctor, go to another! And you are definitely NOT alone, remember that. Depression runs in my family. So I've studied it in order to be understanding and knowledgeable. While I believe your food intake could have an effect, sometimes the chemical inbalance may require medication. But hey, if the eating healthier certainly can't hurt, right?!

Just know that there is help. The symptoms you described are depression, spot on. Someone mention low testosterone. That could be partly the problem, but not all with what you described. Simple test, part of a blood test. Don't just start taking one of these OTC products they advertise like crazy. Get it tested. Last time I had a blood test I asked to have mine tested What the heck, I figured. Mine was in the normal range. Glad I didn't fall for one of the commercials that say "Men, after 30 your testosterone levels start dropping".

You're on the right track. You made that first step to feeling better!

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: larrymopar360] #2822971
09/20/20 04:35 PM
09/20/20 04:35 PM
Cruising!
Q
QuickDodge Offline
super stock
QuickDodge  Offline
super stock
Q

Cruising!
1. Turn off the news! (As already mentioned, but definitely worth mentioning again!!)

2. Exercise. For some folks, exercise is nearly as effective as an anti-depressant medication.

3. Watch to see if there is any pattern to how you feel. For example, are certain days of the week worse?

4. Lack of nutrition or not absorbing the nutrients eaten. I knew a guy who was depressed. His doctor discovered his vitamin B-12 level was low. Once that was corrected, his depression was gone. (He was not absorbing the B-12 he ate.) There are some other nutrient deficiencies which can also lead to depression.

5. Is there anything in your life that is just wearing you down? For example, is your boss or your job impossibly difficult? Do you have issues with your spouse, kids, parents, etc. When we face seemingly never ending, unsolvable problems, depression can be the result.

6. Have there been any changes in your life that may have triggered depression? Losing a friend, a death, unable to do things you once enjoyed, etc.

7. Depression is one way that our emotions communicate to us that something is wrong in our life. For example, we may get a bad feeling about a problem initially. If we ignore the bad feeling, or chose to do nothing to solve the problem, later on depression can be the result. The problem is that once depression sets in, it can be very difficult to go back and determine the original cause. If a decent counselor can be found, they can be very helpful. (Finding a good one may be difficult though!)

8. It is good that you are attempting to solve the problem now. Keep trying different things. Depression can be difficult to cure.

Last edited by QuickDodge; 09/20/20 05:09 PM.
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2823493
09/21/20 11:52 PM
09/21/20 11:52 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
Originally Posted by EV2RTSE

" Beer is the reason I wake up every afternoon. "

Respectfully, I would say you may need look no further than this.

Coming from someone who also likes his beer, and has been feeling the same way at times.

That signature is kind of in jest because it's the catch phrase for one of our local brewers.

But yes, I do like beer. Probably more than Tom T Hall. I've stopped drinking for the last couple of weeks hoping that it might help. So far it hasn't, but maybe it hasn't been long enough?

If it turns out you have a sensitivity to wheat or gluten, Guinness apparently qualifies as gluten free enough for Celiac sufferers to drink.

Food dye sensitivity is something else to consider, especially red. The stuff is in everything.

Kevin

Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: Twostick] #2828006
10/02/20 05:51 PM
10/02/20 05:51 PM
Spokane Valley, WA
Big Bad Bee Offline
I Live Here
Big Bad Bee  Offline
I Live Here

Spokane Valley, WA
Hey Duff,

Hope you get results from your GP's advice. There are some very thoughtful messages here and I've enjoyed seeing everyone rally around you and hope to do the same. I want to encourage you to seek out mental health therapy if you can afford it. Statistics support using both psychopharmaceutical treatment and therapy together as a best method of solving depression. I'd also add that alcohol is a depressant, so your doctor's advice to cut out even casual amounts of intake while you are working through this makes sense. If you do look for counseling, I encourage you to seek out a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. You can find them in your local area through psychologytoday.com. I'm proud of you for bringing up the topic here. Mental health disorders have a stigma attached, especially among men, and they really should not. Anxiety and depression are extremely common, and whether the causes are environmental, genetic or circumstantial, you've taken the big first step to healing. If you ever want to chat, please message me.

Lindy

I’m listening.
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2828120
10/02/20 10:42 PM
10/02/20 10:42 PM
SK. Canada
Not_A_Duster Offline
master
Not_A_Duster  Offline
master

SK. Canada
Yes I have.

Anxiety has always been present in my life since childhood, but a serious head injury & the resulting severe concussion about 10 years ago turned it into something much worse.

I’ve been through the meds, physical therapy & have found that forcing myself to keep busy even when I don’t want to do anything, plus regular exercise have been the best way for me. Actually leaving my job of 15 years and going into business for myself has been a great boon, despite many people telling me that the stress would make things worse.

But recently the COVID disaster & its effect on not just my business, but my entire industry has brought back the struggle along with some very dark thoughts. I rely on the people closest to me....my wife & young business partner to keep me on track. Make sure you have such a support network among people you trust. I admire your courage discussing it here on this message board, where some people can be quite cruel.

As far as drinking concerned, I’ve generally found having a few with good friends to be a positive experience. ( Tough to do that right now.) Drinking by yourself never leads anywhere good.... I suspect this varies depending on the individual.

....evil is winning....
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: Not_A_Duster] #2828236
10/03/20 11:35 AM
10/03/20 11:35 AM
Central Florida
larrymopar360 Offline
Stud Muffin
larrymopar360  Offline
Stud Muffin

Central Florida
Yes, I forgot to mention exercise! Definitely releases the feel good endorphins! And alcohol, well we've all heard it's actually a depressant, not a stimulant.

Facts are stubborn things.
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: larrymopar360] #2828651
10/04/20 05:51 PM
10/04/20 05:51 PM
Slantytown
DUFFMAN Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive
DUFFMAN  Offline OP
Ask And Ye Shall Receive

Slantytown
My GP prescribed a sleep aid, an anti-depressant and a new pharma for blood sugar. I also haven't had any beer in the last 3 weeks, as well as cut out all carbs as much as possible. The result? My blood sugar has stabilized to "normal" people levels, not even pre-diabetic, and I feel 100X better. I'm not sure what part(s) are working for me but I'm going to stick with it for awhile longer before I start experimenting.

No longer taking $h!t from anyone!
Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2828664
10/04/20 06:20 PM
10/04/20 06:20 PM
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
moparmike1 Offline
top fuel
moparmike1  Offline
top fuel

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, Can...
Glad to hear your situation improved!

Mike.

Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2828685
10/04/20 07:35 PM
10/04/20 07:35 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I had some issues with depression when I was young. I was off on my own and didn't have a network of friends or family so little things tended to hit me in a big way. It was a rough go. I found that a multi-layer approach worked the best. Exercise, friends, sleep, a hobby, therapy, etc. all work together to keep your mind in a positive space.

Re: Dealing with Depression [Re: DUFFMAN] #2828710
10/04/20 08:37 PM
10/04/20 08:37 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Originally Posted by DUFFMAN
My GP prescribed a sleep aid, an anti-depressant and a new pharma for blood sugar. I also haven't had any beer in the last 3 weeks, as well as cut out all carbs as much as possible. The result? My blood sugar has stabilized to "normal" people levels, not even pre-diabetic, and I feel 100X better. I'm not sure what part(s) are working for me but I'm going to stick with it for awhile longer before I start experimenting.

Awesome up up up I fought my GP for a long time on taking any meds. Ironically, a sleep aid and anti depressant is exactly what he put me on and the difference was amazing. he told me some people are just "wired differently mentally and need A little help to "balance" things out. BTW I haven't smoked or had alcohol of any kind in over 3 years. He said the smoking and alcohol consumption was a form of self medication. Dunno but I'm staying the course. twocents thumbs

Last edited by TJP; 10/04/20 08:38 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2