09/27/20 12:48 AM
Salem
Grizzly Offline
Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem

Gosh, that is a sad story. Let's take up a collection. violin

Care to comment on the completely offensive $160.00/hr shop rate while some Grunt in the back does all the dirty work for minimum wage?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Craigslist and the Internet for taking a massive bite out of dealerships gravy: trade-ins. bow

Last edited by Grizzly; 09/27/20 12:52 AM.

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Grizzly] #2825512
09/27/20 12:51 AM
09/27/20 12:51 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
As a dealer, perhaps you can tell us something, on average does a dealership make a bigger profit on a customer who leases, or one who purchases a car with a loan?

laugh2 devil Go git 'em, MasterShake!!!! up

Don't believe any of the nonsense, credit rating, tax advantage, warranty, the ever-caring dealership, blah, blah, blah. They spout those lies because it benefits THEM, not you.

At the end of the day, all you have to do is take the best cash price on a vehicle and compare it to the all-in numbers of leasing or should I say renting tonguue Use the standard rule of depreciation of 30% when you drive it off the lot, 20% the second year, and 10% every year after that to compare to the same time period of renting.

And when you do, you'll realize the only people who rent are people who can't afford a new vehicle but don't mind throwing money away.

The only time I wished I leased was when I got a new truck that was a POS within the first 6 months. The dealer refused to do warranty work on it, because, they didn't care: they had my check. I could have drove to their front window, threw the keys on their desk and walked away from it if it was rented.

I couldn't give that glorious Blunder Motors product away: my Dodge dealer had to send it to auction

You honestly have zero clue what you are talking about.
I just showed you the tax advantage a few posts above. Its significant.
The reason a dealer wants to lease you a car is because they see you more often. Period.
Believe me, stuffing somebody in an 84 month buy because the customer has a payment to hit and has to go extended term to get there, does the dealer no good long term.
That guy comes back in say three years down the road wanting to trade it in, the salesman runs and hides( as he should) people are so buried You cant dig them out with a steam shovel.
2 or 3 year lease, customer comes in, you don't run and hide from them.
Leasing indeed isn't for everybody, but for some its exactly the right thing to do. Seen lots of 90 grand cars you can drive 2/3 years they are worth 45k. But you can lease them for 699 a month, use the best part of the car’s life, and toss the keys back.
IMO, the best way to purchase an auto is to figure out what you want, find a couple year old unit that is still under factory warranty, and drive it till its time to scrap it.
But, American consumers seldom have such common sense to do that. Gotta impress the Jones’s, momma gets tired of it, wants something a different color, you name it.
While i was racing today, we lost a deal because of color. Customer drove a car( previous customer too), they absolutely loved it, had everything on it they wanted, loved the price.... but it was Navy blue, not Black.....they keep looking......we still have the blue one..lol

Last edited by B3422W5; 09/27/20 12:53 AM.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Grizzly] #2825615
09/27/20 12:28 PM
09/27/20 12:28 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan

Care to comment on the completely offensive $160.00/hr shop rate while some Grunt in the back does all the dirty work for minimum wage?

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Craigslist and the Internet for taking a massive bite out of dealerships gravy: trade-ins. bow

This isnt the 50’s pal.
The relatively small GM store i ran( been 12 years since i left) two of our tech’s made over 100k a year spinning wrenches. Good tech’s make an outstanding living.
Anybody worth a damn is making at least 25 an hour plus benefits. If they are real studs, lots more than that.
Good friend of mine owns a repair shop. He makes a load. Charges 80 or so bucks a labor hour. He is isn't getting any younger. Has been trying to hire a tech to help him for months. Even at 20 bucks an hour to start, and willing to train them, nobody lasts more than a few days. They either dont want to work, and anybody worth a damn already has a better job.
You are barking up the wrong tree if you think new car store line mechanics are “ grunts in the back working for minimum wage” Very uninformed statement.
It amazes me how clueless people are about things they claim to know something about.
Regards trade-ins, etc.... the scarcity of good used cars doesnt just effect a dealer. They pay more, you pay more. Just like any other business on the planet.
My margins dont change, i have bills to pay like anybody else, they dont change because of Covid or anything else. If the price of ground beef goes up at the supermarket, you pay more, they pay more, and likely aren't making any extra money doing so.
Lots of those cars that are on Craigslist are turds, not all certainly, but lots. In some cases people are selling them because they have issues the owner doesn't want to fix, its why he is getting rid of it. Don't know about you, but most people arent going to throw money at a car they are getting rid of. And if it breaks in half a few days later, guess what you have? Both halves.
We indeed do have this crazy thing called the internet. All my cars are advertised on it. Guess what, people shop and compare. A LOT. If it isn't a good, competitive deal, they don't come, they dont call, you starve. People are armed with way more info than in the past. I like it that way. We are reputable, charitable , and have a very good track record. Frankly, you either do, or you don't
As a dealer, its way easier to sell a car now than 25 years ago. Now the typical buyer has done his/her homework, know what they want, know what the going price is, Check reviews on the dealer, and pull on the lot ready to buy if they are treated properly

1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Grizzly] #2825622
09/27/20 12:43 PM
09/27/20 12:43 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.

Hey Grizzled - what's your beef? You don't like new car dealers? Where U going to buy your next new car - where will ANYBODY buy new vehicles? Back in early 1994 my business was real slow during the winter months so I wanted to try selling new cars - a Dodge dealer hired me to come & sell. TYPICAL deal - called a "mini" put $75.00 in my pocket, & it was a lot of screwing around to sell a single vehicle, plus we HAD to be competitive. Shoppers are not stupid, & they are out shopping the dealers looking for the best deal. YOU DON'T SELL A CAR FOR STICKER! A good mechanic makes good money, and amazingly enough, the dealers need to be able to keep their lights on - in case you didn't know this.

Don't worry how much $$ they are making, worry about your car & your deal. If nobody made a profit on anything, we'd all be living in Zimbabwe.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2825628
09/27/20 12:48 PM
09/27/20 12:48 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

Hey Grizzled - what's your beef? You don't like new car dealers? Where U going to buy your next new car - where will ANYBODY buy new vehicles? Back in early 1994 my business was real slow during the winter months so I wanted to try selling new cars - a Dodge dealer hired me to come & sell. TYPICAL deal - called a "mini" put $75.00 in my pocket, & it was a lot of screwing around to sell a single vehicle, plus we HAD to be competitive. Shoppers are not stupid, & they are out shopping the dealers looking for the best deal. YOU DON'T SELL A CAR FOR STICKER! A good mechanic makes good money, and amazingly enough, the dealers need to be able to keep their lights on - in case you didn't know this.

Don't worry how much $$ they are making, worry about your car & your deal. If nobody made a profit on anything, we'd all be living in Zimbabwe.

Its amazing more people cant figure this out. And it seems the Mopar community is more infested with such thoughts than most anywhere else, for whatever reason.

1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: B3422W5] #2825792
09/27/20 07:40 PM
09/27/20 07:40 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by B3422W5
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda

Its amazing more people cant figure this out. And it seems the Mopar community is more infested with such thoughts than most anywhere else, for whatever reason.

Jesus, Mary and Morgan Shephard, I've tried to tell these people that for years now but nooo, it's a stealership. They have no clue what it costs to run a dealership and in particular a service department. They think sales makes $7k on every new car and the techs are working for $10 an hour. I made six figures consistently as a tech for many years and it wasn't from smoking warranty tickets either. You can't even get away with that anymore. The amount of documentation we had to do was substantial, from photos sent to the factory to clocking on and off every job line with sufficient hours for the job to printouts from the scan tools and written readings of hand held DVOM's and wire colors and circuit numbers to the pin number in the named connector. You better have it correct too or you will be back flagged and not paid for that job. Tech training and special tools that are sent to every dealership, every year whether you want them or not you get them and you get to pay for them too. And that doesn't even take into account regular shop tools plus the tools the tech has to buy for himself. Some people here are really ignorant of what it takes.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Guitar Jones] #2825804
09/27/20 07:59 PM
09/27/20 07:59 PM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida

We really got into a heated debate here. We went from the topic "Leasing or buy outright" to what it cost to run a dealership and what techs get paid.
To the original poster who started the thread; I hope you found your answer somewhere in this mess.

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: GMP440] #2825811
09/27/20 08:18 PM
09/27/20 08:18 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline
master

Highland, MI.
The thread was right on target until Kodiak/Grizzly threw a haymaker.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Guitar Jones] #2825814
09/27/20 08:24 PM
09/27/20 08:24 PM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
The more expensive the MSRP, the more likely it makes sense to lease the vehicle. There will almost always be a slight premium to lease vs. buy.

There are always exceptions, of course, and personal preference also plays a factor.

As others have posted, sales tax is a factor too, especially in jurisdictions that take a bigger bite. In Canada, sales taxes on a vehicle start at 5% for the federal sales tax, and go as high as a combined 15% depending on the province. (13% here in Ontario). So on a nice new Ram 1500 or loaded Cherokee at $50K, there's $6500 in tax payable immediately if you purchase it outright. That's a big chunk of change that you can't recover if you resell the vehicle privately or don't replace it.

Other factors include problems with the vehicle. If the car turns out to be a lemon, or has shown that it's likely to have big problems out of warranty, you can turn in the car and start fresh. If your vehicle is damaged in a collision as mine was, then you own the diminished value and the stigma of a non-virginal CarFax. With a lease, again, you turn the problem back in and walk away. (my vehicle is not leased, so I will take a another hit if I want to trade or sell it).

Then there's opportunity cost of the money. If we use the same 2020 Ram 1500 at $50K, and you pay cash, that money becomes dead, other than your not having a car payment. However, if you have the cash, take advantage of 0% financing or attractive lease rates, then you can invest the $50K and should be able to generate a 6-7% annual return without undue risk.

The Ram will depreciate, so let's fast forward 3 years and assume that it's now worth $20K. You have paid $30K in depreciation over 3 years, or $10K/year. So the equivalent payment of about $830/month, plus whatever you didn't gain by investing your cash. There's a lot you can lease or buy for that.

Situations in which owning outright is probably better:

- you drive a lot more miles/year than the average
- the vehicle depreciates less than average - e.g. late model Challengers
- the vehicle is somewhat collectible - e.g. Ford GT
- you like to keep your vehicles a long time
- purchase price is modest.

However, if I could lease a loaded new Grand Cherokee for around $300/mo as I see advertised on the Golf Channel and other USA media, it would be a no brainer. Warranty, fresh tires/brakes, and a low, predictable, monthly cost. I know people that spend more than $75/week at Starbucks...personally, I'd take the new vehicle.

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: YYZ] #2825882
09/28/20 12:40 AM
09/28/20 12:40 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
I haven't seen anybody address the cost of financing the lease vs outright purchase.

Many moons ago I signed a 48 month lease on a 2 year old Ford Contour. Cosworth headed V6 with a 5 speed. Absolute hoot to drive.

Salesman gives me the sales pitch on lease vs purchase and to the effect of you have all the car but you only pay for half of it. The part of your brain that still believes in free lunch signs the contract. $250 ish a month for 48 months with IIRC a $7kish residual.

I go home and I'm looking over what I had just signed and something doesn't add up. It was like a $12k plus tax car but the cost to finance was approaching $4k. I run the numbers through a calculator and that's about double. So I call them up and say I think there is an error and then he tells me well you're only paying for half the car but you're financing all of it. So much for the free lunch...

So I ask if it's to late to convert this to a purchase and he's good with that but he prefers leases because as has been pointed out, he gets another shot at me at the end. So long story short it cost me $100 a month more to buy it, the bank financing was a little less percentage wise and when I made the last payment, I owned it for the $4800 I paid extra over 48 months instead of $7k.

I'm in the leasing is the most expensive way to have a car in the driveway camp. If you can't afford to buy that new car you want, you should just make peace with it and buy the one you can actually afford.

Kevin

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Twostick] #2825933
09/28/20 08:50 AM
09/28/20 08:50 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
@Twostick you raise a good point. A lot of leases, and even financing, can have stealthy clauses that translate into a much higher cost of money.

For a long time, GM Canada used to pre-bill the entire amount of loan interest, so there was no benefit to paying off the vehicle early. For example, on a 4-year loan, the interest costs are $1500/year.

GM would add $6000 (4 x $1500) to the loan balance as of day one. So even if you paid off the car 3 years early, GM still got you for 3 years worth of interest.

In today's environment, with interest rates being low, information being more widely available (including online financial calculators) it may not be as bad. The exception would be subprime car loans which can go as high as 30% interest here.

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: YYZ] #2825939
09/28/20 09:20 AM
09/28/20 09:20 AM
Richmond, Indiana
19swinger70 Offline
master
19swinger70  Offline
master

Richmond, Indiana
I bought a new vehicle outright with cash for my business in 2017. In those 3 years, I have put 120,000 miles on the vehicle. I knew that would happen, and so it made sense for me (the business) to go ahead and buy. Even burning up about $40,000 in cash that year on the purchase didn't hurt, because the business had a "good year" and "made too much money".

I know a lot of businesses lease fleet vehicles, because they become a monthly cost that can be swung with the cash flow of the business. Owning things is a different consideration for a person vs. a business. Both owning and leasing can make sense, but your situation and expectations will dictate what you consider success!

1970 340 swinger. sublime
1967 barracuda fastback BB
55 Plymouth Project
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: 19swinger70] #2825946
09/28/20 09:37 AM
09/28/20 09:37 AM
Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
YYZ Offline
master
YYZ  Offline
master

Toronto (YYZ) Ontario
Originally Posted by 19swinger70
I bought a new vehicle outright with cash for my business in 2017. In those 3 years, I have put 120,000 miles on the vehicle. I knew that would happen, and so it made sense for me (the business) to go ahead and buy. Even burning up about $40,000 in cash that year on the purchase didn't hurt, because the business had a "good year" and "made too much money".

I know a lot of businesses lease fleet vehicles, because they become a monthly cost that can be swung with the cash flow of the business. Owning things is a different consideration for a person vs. a business. Both owning and leasing can make sense, but your situation and expectations will dictate what you consider success!

You're exactly right.

Also, if it's for business purposes, the vehicle should be providing leverage for you. i.e. there is a monthly expenditure, but having the vehicle enables you to make much, much, more than the monthly nut.

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Twostick] #2825952
09/28/20 09:47 AM
09/28/20 09:47 AM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida
Originally Posted by Twostick
I haven't seen anybody address the cost of financing the lease vs outright purchase.

Many moons ago I signed a 48 month lease on a 2 year old Ford Contour. Cosworth headed V6 with a 5 speed. Absolute hoot to drive.

Salesman gives me the sales pitch on lease vs purchase and to the effect of you have all the car but you only pay for half of it. The part of your brain that still believes in free lunch signs the contract. $250 ish a month for 48 months with IIRC a $7kish residual.

I go home and I'm looking over what I had just signed and something doesn't add up. It was like a $12k plus tax car but the cost to finance was approaching $4k. I run the numbers through a calculator and that's about double. So I call them up and say I think there is an error and then he tells me well you're only paying for half the car but you're financing all of it. So much for the free lunch...

So I ask if it's to late to convert this to a purchase and he's good with that but he prefers leases because as has been pointed out, he gets another shot at me at the end. So long story short it cost me $100 a month more to buy it, the bank financing was a little less percentage wise and when I made the last payment, I owned it for the $4800 I paid extra over 48 months instead of $7k.

I'm in the leasing is the most expensive way to have a car in the driveway camp. If you can't afford to buy that new car you want, you should just make peace with it and buy the one you can actually afford.

Kevin

The very last sentence here is probably the only one that made sense in this whole topic.

Last edited by GMP440; 09/28/20 09:48 AM.
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: GMP440] #2825958
09/28/20 10:12 AM
09/28/20 10:12 AM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
I got talked into a lease on a '98 Durango. I will never do it again.

Loved the vehicle, but paid significantly more than if I would have just bought it.

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: GMP440] #2825964
09/28/20 10:18 AM
09/28/20 10:18 AM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
We have leased at least 8 times now it keeps our money in the bank and investments without having to take out for a purchase. It keeps my wife in a new dependable car she deserves for the work she does and hours she puts in especially now with her 30 mile one way commute. She is now in her third Acura RDX which she loves even if it is the " tech " model with half the stuff we don`t understand or know how to work. In the 8 leases we have had the end of term buyout was always way too high for the age and value of the car. We have at the end of each lease term considered just purchasing with payments only being a little more depending on down payment or just purchasing out right but as i said we/ she prefers to have the money in the bank for " emergencies". Another thing we consider : in the lease term it is unlikely the car will need any major repairs or maintenance after a few years and miles repairs on cars like her Acura can get very expensive. I am pondering now : my 08 H.Q.C. is 12 years old now I really only use it for towing it has 57,000 miles but it is starting to need minor repairs, no big deal I fixed them : trans line bracket rusted thru, power steering cooler developed a leak, front cv joints and ball joints, idler pulley went bad and a few other things , do i replace it with a new one,( its been paid off for years ) or just keep fixing the little things ? New trucks are so expensive i don't know if its worth it to buy a new one to only use once in awhile.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: GMP440] #2826325
09/29/20 02:38 AM
09/29/20 02:38 AM
USA
K
Kippy Offline OP
Kippy  Offline OP
K

USA
Originally Posted by GMP440

We really got into a heated debate here. We went from the topic "Leasing or buy outright" to what it cost to run a dealership and what techs get paid.
To the original poster who started the thread; I hope you found your answer somewhere in this mess.

Yes, I found a answer and thanks to all for the replies.....We are going to buy it outright. It just pains me to spend as much on a car as my house cost back in 1976.
I thought leasing might be a option but the thought of car payments every month is not appealing.
Im happy and grateful that I can say that at this later stage of life I can buy a new car outright
thanks again

Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: 11secdart] #2826334
09/29/20 04:29 AM
09/29/20 04:29 AM
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Guitar Jones  Offline
G

Originally Posted by 11secdart
We have leased at least 8 times now it keeps our money in the bank and investments without having to take out for a purchase. It keeps my wife in a new dependable car she deserves for the work she does and hours she puts in especially now with her 30 mile one way commute. She is now in her third Acura RDX which she loves even if it is the " tech " model with half the stuff we don`t understand or know how to work. In the 8 leases we have had the end of term buyout was always way too high for the age and value of the car. We have at the end of each lease term considered just purchasing with payments only being a little more depending on down payment or just purchasing out right but as i said we/ she prefers to have the money in the bank for " emergencies". Another thing we consider : in the lease term it is unlikely the car will need any major repairs or maintenance after a few years and miles repairs on cars like her Acura can get very expensive. I am pondering now : my 08 H.Q.C. is 12 years old now I really only use it for towing it has 57,000 miles but it is starting to need minor repairs, no big deal I fixed them : trans line bracket rusted thru, power steering cooler developed a leak, front cv joints and ball joints, idler pulley went bad and a few other things , do i replace it with a new one,( its been paid off for years ) or just keep fixing the little things ? New trucks are so expensive i don't know if its worth it to buy a new one to only use once in awhile.

I fix my old stuff. I love not having any payments and repairs are always less money than a new vehicle. Plus newer vehicles are going to need repairs too. The down side is no matter how much money you spend on an old vehicle in the end, it's still an old vehicle. If you are going to keep it though, then it really doesn't matter.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Lease or buy outright [Re: Guitar Jones] #2826396
09/29/20 10:38 AM
09/29/20 10:38 AM
Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
5thAve Online content
Doesn't care what this says anyway
5thAve  Online Content
Doesn't care what this says anyway

Canada -- Posts: 4034 -Registe...
RIght off the bat we never consider leasing because we keep our cars till they rot out. We don't need a new car every few years.
A neighbour of ours spent about 30 years leasing cars then one day he was over chatting and started looking at our 10-20 year old cars and said he always got a new car every few years because he wanted the warranty but judging by our stuff it didn't matter. The next new car he got was his last. He had it for 12 years before it was sold to another neighbor when he couldn't drive anymore.

My parent spent decades mainly buying 1-2 year old used cars from new car dealers at a fraction of new price. On the rare occasion where new wasn't much more then used they went new and their current car they were looking at used but they went new to take advantage of the 0% financing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2