Spaceman Spiff Offline
master
Spaceman Spiff  Offline
master
S

jersey
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by Sixpak
Pay cash as much as possible, and you can tell them to stick their credit score where the sun don't shine. Just one more shackle the financial institutions want to have over all the 'good little consumers' out there....

Using credit to your advantage is a smart way to financial freedom.

You’re not financially free, if you are in debt, which is what a credit score is a measure of. If you owe money to others, that is money that you can’t use to buy assets.

526 cubes of angry wedge, pushbutton shifted, 9 passenger killer!
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2824826
09/25/20 06:27 AM
09/25/20 06:27 AM
Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Online mad
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Online Mad

Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff
Pay cash as much as possible, and you can tell them to stick their credit score where the sun don't shine. Just one more shackle the financial institutions want to have over all the 'good little consumers' out there....

You’re not financially free, if you are in debt, which is what a credit score is a measure of. If you owe money to others, that is money that you can’t use to buy assets.

Several years ago, I bought a new Ram, 0% for 5 years. Why use my money if I can use their money for free?

We just bought $5k worth of new furniture. I got 12 months at 0%. I had the money to pay cash, but why use my money if I can use their money for free?

I have the cash to pay off my house, but my mortgage is at 3.25%. I make quite a bit more than 3.25% by investing the money I would otherwise use to pay off my house. If I ever need to do so, I can pull that cash out and pay off the house with one check. This is the only debt we usually have, though now I have the furniture mentioned above.

I make lots of $$$ in cash back on my primary credit card, and we get 5% off at Target with our Target card. Pay them off every month, like clockwork. Haven't paid a dime in interest in close to 25 years, and we put just about everything on our cards.

Paying cash for everything is a great thing if that's what someone wants to do. thumbs For whatever reason, a lot of the "cash only" folks seem to lack a basic understanding of how responsible use of credit really works. shruggy Our credit scores are both in the 820s, and as Mr T pointed out, credit scores can directly impact things like your insurance premiums. They also impact your ability to borrow, and how much it costs you to do so, should an emergency arise that requires you to do so. The latter is not a reason to have debt, by itself, but it is a reason to consider trying to have a good credit score.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Spaceman Spiff] #2824833
09/25/20 07:29 AM
09/25/20 07:29 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline OP
master
Mr T2U  Offline OP
master
M

new berlin wisconsin

[/quote]

your credit score IS NOT a indication of how much debt you have. it is only a number that rates you ability to handle debt responsibly.

you can have no debt and have a high score. you can have no debt and have a low score also.
you can have a lot of debt and have a high score. and you can have a lot of debt and have a low score also.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Mr T2U] #2824835
09/25/20 07:39 AM
09/25/20 07:39 AM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

your credit score IS NOT a indication of how much debt you have. it is only a number that rates you ability to handle debt responsibly.

you can have no debt and have a high score. you can have no debt and have a low score also.
you can have a lot of debt and have a high score. and you can have a lot of debt and have a low score also.

[/quote]

Yep! I have a credit score well into the 800s(so does my wife) We use credit everyday...we carry very little debt

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: not_a_charger] #2825152
09/25/20 09:32 PM
09/25/20 09:32 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
Originally Posted by not_a_charger

Several years ago, I bought a new Ram, 0% for 5 years. Why use my money if I can use their money for free?

We just bought $5k worth of new furniture. I got 12 months at 0%. I had the money to pay cash, but why use my money if I can use their money for free?

I have the cash to pay off my house, but my mortgage is at 3.25%. I make quite a bit more than 3.25% by investing the money I would otherwise use to pay off my house. If I ever need to do so, I can pull that cash out and pay off the house with one check. This is the only debt we usually have, though now I have the furniture mentioned above.

I make lots of $$$ in cash back on my primary credit card, and we get 5% off at Target with our Target card. Pay them off every month, like clockwork. Haven't paid a dime in interest in close to 25 years, and we put just about everything on our cards.

Paying cash for everything is a great thing if that's what someone wants to do. thumbs For whatever reason, a lot of the "cash only" folks seem to lack a basic understanding of how responsible use of credit really works. shruggy Our credit scores are both in the 820s, and as Mr T pointed out, credit scores can directly impact things like your insurance premiums. They also impact your ability to borrow, and how much it costs you to do so, should an emergency arise that requires you to do so. The latter is not a reason to have debt, by itself, but it is a reason to consider trying to have a good credit score.

And if, God forbid, you get sick or lose your income, then what? The monthly bills will keep coming. Can you pay everything off if that happens? And still live comfortably? Better in my opinion to owe nothing and have emergency cash to sit on for unforeseen events.

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Ramrod39] #2825168
09/25/20 10:04 PM
09/25/20 10:04 PM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline OP
master
Mr T2U  Offline OP
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
i get what you are saying by pay for your purchases in cash when you buy them. you owe nothing after that for the items.

BUT you are bypassing the part where he says " I had the money to pay cash, but why use my money if I can use their money for free?"

he is basically saying he could have used his cash to pay in full if he wanted to. he chose to INVEST his $$$ to earn more $$$ and use somebody's else's $$$ for free to pay for his purchase them pay off the borrowed $$$ over time.
for a more THEORETICAL way to view this. in real life there are no guarantees. if he chooses to invest in the stock market, currently earning 10% annual return. he would be kissing $500 of earnings goodby by paying cash on his $5,000 furniture purchase.
if he gets sick or louses his job all he has to do is cash in his investment to pay off the bill.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Ramrod39] #2825214
09/26/20 05:51 AM
09/26/20 05:51 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

I have savings and investments I could tap. With the only debt being the mortgage, that's an easy payoff. I also have short term disability coverage, long term disability coverage, life insurance, etc.

One way is not better than the other. They are just different. Now, using debt to live above your means is a totally different story. That's never a good idea. I am curious to know one thing...if I can finance something for 0%, and I have the cash to buy it, what is the downside to financing it at 0% and letting the cash earn investment income? shruggy

DBAP
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Mr T2U] #2825239
09/26/20 09:51 AM
09/26/20 09:51 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Originally Posted by Mr T2U

Guess then you have never experienced a catastrophic unexpected medical, natural disaster, victim of a criminal act , etc financial event in your life that went way beyond any rainy day fund, and a soulless scoring system decided you were financially irresponsible? tsk

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Mastershake340] #2825727
09/27/20 05:27 PM
09/27/20 05:27 PM
new york
P
paris401 Offline
super stock
paris401  Offline
super stock
P

new york
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Originally Posted by SRT6776
I paid off all my debt and my score dropped 30 points, figure that one out.

, I was always 835 to 850.
:

WOW... never seen anyone with a 850 score....

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: not_a_charger] #2825747
09/27/20 05:56 PM
09/27/20 05:56 PM
Tucson, AZ
Ramrod39 Offline
My New Title
Ramrod39  Offline
My New Title

Tucson, AZ
I am curious to know one thing...if I can finance something for 0%, and I have the cash to buy it, what is the downside to financing it at 0% and letting the cash earn investment income? shruggy

Nothing wrong with that I guess if that is what you like. I don't for me. I am investing exactly as I like with no mortgage/debt. To each his own. Glad you are in good shape and comfortable. up

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Ramrod39] #2825754
09/27/20 06:19 PM
09/27/20 06:19 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted by Ramrod39
I am curious to know one thing...if I can finance something for 0%, and I have the cash to buy it, what is the downside to financing it at 0% and letting the cash earn investment income? shruggy

Nothing wrong with that I guess if that is what you like. I don't for me. I am investing exactly as I like with no mortgage/debt. To each his own. Glad you are in good shape and comfortable. up

Generally but not always 0% financing offers are usually either 0% financing or a cash off incentive. You have to do the math to see which is better. I usually take the cash off offer. But it depends on the amount and what your investment money is making. If you are just collecting 2% or less in a savings account then it's probably worth it to take the cash off and pay it in full. Put the payment amount back into your investment every month.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: Guitar Jones] #2825777
09/27/20 07:10 PM
09/27/20 07:10 PM
FT. Worth TX
P
PASTLITE Offline
enthusiast
PASTLITE  Offline
enthusiast
P

FT. Worth TX
The highest mine has been is 830 it usually is around 799. I charge everything except when tipping. My bank automatically pays off my cards on the due date so I dont pay any interest.

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: not_a_charger] #2825789
09/27/20 07:37 PM
09/27/20 07:37 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I have savings and investments I could tap. With the only debt being the mortgage, that's an easy payoff. I also have short term disability coverage, long term disability coverage, life insurance, etc.

One way is not better than the other. They are just different. Now, using debt to live above your means is a totally different story. That's never a good idea. I am curious to know one thing...if I can finance something for 0%, and I have the cash to buy it, what is the downside to financing it at 0% and letting the cash earn investment income? shruggy

I've looked into a lot of the 0% financing offers. Like stater earlier, most (nearly all) are either a 0% financing, or a discount for cash payment. If the 0% financing price is actually higher then the cash price, how can it be 0% financing?
Your paying the financing cost up front, and then they are hoping you don't make that last payment by the date set, or they get to charge you more financi8ng charges, back to the original purchase date. You can keep believing its really 0 % financing if you want.

A couple years ago, we bought new flooring for our house. The company was advertising 0% financing, but the cash price was $1,000 cheaper. Please explain how that works.
BTW, our credit score is over 800 with no debt of any kind. Gene

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: poorboy] #2825822
09/27/20 08:41 PM
09/27/20 08:41 PM
not_a_charger Online mad

You guys are right about needing to check the cash price. thumbs I've never paid more $$ to get 0% financing, ever, for anything. Hell, the truck I bought at 0%, I got for about $9,500 off sticker. It was an 06 Ram, QC, 4x4, TRX Off-Road package, Hemi, etc. Very nice truck at the time. The furniture price was the same whether I would've paid cash or not. We once financed some appliances back in the days of no interest/no payments, too, but the crash of 2008 put a stop to those offers. We also bought a mattress/box spring at 0% for 12 months, no difference in price. I've invested my money well, which is why I'll be able to retire once my kids are done with college, should I choose to do so. My wife, we'll have to wait and see. Years of service make a huge difference regarding her pension once she goes past 30 years. We will be fine if she wants to retire at 30, but there's a huge advantage for each year between 31-35.

DBAP
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: poorboy] #2825841
09/27/20 09:36 PM
09/27/20 09:36 PM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by poorboy

I've looked into a lot of the 0% financing offers. Like stater earlier, most (nearly all) are either a 0% financing, or a discount for cash payment. If the 0% financing price is actually higher then the cash price, how can it be 0% financing?
Your paying the financing cost up front, and then they are hoping you don't make that last payment by the date set, or they get to charge you more financi8ng charges, back to the original purchase date. You can keep believing its really 0 % financing if you want.

A couple years ago, we bought new flooring for our house. The company was advertising 0% financing, but the cash price was $1,000 cheaper. Please explain how that works.
BTW, our credit score is over 800 with no debt of any kind. Gene

The 0% interest loans are an incentive from the manufacturer. Its truly interest free. Any single penny you pay above that is on you for being late on a payment.
The unit you are buying has the same dealer price if you pay cash or finance it. If a Ford employee walks in and wants a new truck, the price is fixed, its better than anybody can get. Whatever that price is, you get 0% from that price, or no zero% and instead more money off from Ford in the case of a rebate.
Where the difference in price comes in is from the manufacturer via a rebate. That comes over above the deal the dealer cut you. You have the ability to go to your bank and see what rate they will give you. Do a little math and figure out if say a loan at 4% and say a 4000 dollar rebate will save you over no rebate and 0% interest and not getting the 4 grand rebate.

Regards your above example..... do you think the flooring company can loan money at 0% interest without it costing them something. Use your head bud. It isn't that hard.
They “ buy down” the rate. In other words, say they can get money for 3%. They pay the difference to give you an option. The other option Is to just knock money off( your 1000 bucks) and let you get your own financing.

Quick example..
You go in and want 30K in flooring.... they offer you your choice, they knock a grand off and you finance the 29k that is left at your bank at 4% for 5 years.
Or you finance the whole 30 grand and they give you 0% but not the grand off.....
Well, taking the 0% offer would save you three times as much as getting the 1000 off and going to YOUR bank.
Now, do you see it costs them more in the above example to give you zero% than a 1000 off? You seem to not know dealers nor GM nor Ford nor Honda nor anybody prints money at zero%. They PAY to make that money available to you for free, zilch, no interest

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: not_a_charger] #2825981
09/28/20 11:08 AM
09/28/20 11:08 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by Mastershake340
Originally Posted by SRT6776
I paid off all my debt and my score dropped 30 points, figure that one out.

Same here, last year checking monthly when I’d get my Discover bill, I was always 835 to 850.
Paid off my mortgage late last year and the balance of my HELOC this year now Discover says being debt free means I’m down to 810-825. shruggy

No one would pay any attention to a drop like that, though. Virtually no difference between an 810 and an 850 when it comes to anything. thumbs

I just looked into a Jumbo loan (probably wont do it). You need a credit score of 680 or more. I have never been a 680. That's setting the bar pretty low. Depending on how much I have on my business credit card (that I pay off in full every moth and have never been charge interest), I fluctuate in the low 800's.

My son that sells cars said anything over 750 is considered "perfect credit". He said you WOULD NOT believe how messed up peoples credit is. Said many people that make very decent money have terrible credit cause they live on the edge and their entire life is financed. Said one young girl in her 20's that made $90k had terrible credit. So bad they couldn't get her a loan. Another young girl the loan was 26%. You read that right!!!!

Like Dave Ramsey preaches - IM DEBT FREE!!!!!!! No mortgage, no car loans, no credit card debit, nothing. I tell all my kids (in their 20's) to NEVER get a 30 year mortgage UNLESS they make payments like its a 5, 10 or 15 year mortgage. 30 year mortgage (that took us 22 years to pay off) was one of the STUPIDEST things we have ever done financially!

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: the biggest credit score myths [Re: 71TA] #2825986
09/28/20 11:41 AM
09/28/20 11:41 AM
not_a_charger Online mad

I tell all my kids (in their 20's) to NEVER get a 30 year mortgage UNLESS they make payments like its a 5, 10 or 15 year mortgage. 30 year mortgage (that took us 22 years to pay off) was one of the STUPIDEST things we have ever done financially!

We do exactly that. We have a 30 year fixed, but we we pay bi-monthly, and we pay more than is necessary on each of the bi-monthly payments. I could save a few bucks by having a 15 or 20 year mortgage, due to the slightly lower rate. For me, I prefer the flexibility of the 30 year mortgage, because if I circumstances dictated, I could always just start paying the actual payment amount. I pay enough extra to offset the difference of the 15 or 20 year mortgage rate, and invest the rest of the $$ that I could otherwise use to pay off my house. It's worked well for me thus far.

DBAP
Page 2 of 2 1 2