Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
not_a_charger Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator
not_a_charger  Offline
Mr. Big Shot Moparts Moderator

Puttin' on the foil in Charles...
Originally Posted by Sunroofcuda
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Unfortunately, you got a mattress and they got your money. Thats about it, stinks.

And that's what I see too. My plan is to file suit in small claims & take them to task. IF they send a representative, we will rake them over the coals & we will get the judgement. All I got from them was the receipt, & it said no details about re-stocking or any return policy. Then collecting may be another story. A judge will slap them down - I have full confidence. They have NO case. I will take great pleasure in this.

Now I gotta find a reputable place to buy a mattress from. Never thought I'd see the day something like this would happen from JCP. I guess it's just desperate out there anymore - every man for themself.

As noted earlier, they are bankrupt. They don't care if you file suit in small claims. Imagine how many creditors will be ahead of you in line. It sucks that you got stuck with this mattress, but you're going down a path of throwing good money (and your time) after bad.

Earning every penny of that moderator paycheck.

DBAP
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: not_a_charger] #2821029
09/15/20 12:00 PM
09/15/20 12:00 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
Unfortunately, you got a mattress and they got your money. Thats about it, stinks.

And that's what I see too. My plan is to file suit in small claims & take them to task. IF they send a representative, we will rake them over the coals & we will get the judgement. All I got from them was the receipt, & it said no details about re-stocking or any return policy. Then collecting may be another story. A judge will slap them down - I have full confidence. They have NO case. I will take great pleasure in this.

Now I gotta find a reputable place to buy a mattress from. Never thought I'd see the day something like this would happen from JCP. I guess it's just desperate out there anymore - every man for themself.

As noted earlier, they are bankrupt. They don't care if you file suit in small claims. Imagine how many creditors will be ahead of you in line. It sucks that you got stuck with this mattress, but you're going down a path of throwing good money (and your time) after bad.

Good point & I knew JCP was in money trouble, but I had not heard they were actually bankrupt. With practices like these, it's no wonder. I guess I contributed to their bail-out fund! They got me!

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: not_a_charger] #2821078
09/15/20 01:04 PM
09/15/20 01:04 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by not_a_charger
As noted earlier, they are bankrupt.

That was why I related my story, it's the end of an era, kinda like blacksmiths.

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: lilcuda] #2821088
09/15/20 01:24 PM
09/15/20 01:24 PM
Morningside
AdventurerSport Offline
waaaay out there in left field
AdventurerSport  Offline
waaaay out there in left field

Morningside
Originally Posted by lilcuda

It doesn't help you now, but always buy this kind of thing on a credit card. Always. You get in a dispute, you call your credit card company, file a dispute and they will credit your card back the money while they investigate. Makes the retailer come to the plate and play ball.

I agree. Had a similar issue with my son's mattress from Sears about 4 years ago. First, they didn't even order it (??), and when I asked about it, then they had to order it (was not ordered in the first place). Once arrived, not the correct bed size. Blamed me, and tried to charge restocking fee. Called Sears Corporate and got someone to call the store and they re-ordered the correct size mattress. Got it, got it home, two months later it was falling apart...ran all around with Sears, eventually filed a complaint with my credit card company, got my money back and went to a furniture store. Used to LOVE Sears and buy everything that I could from them. Last year they closed in my town...:(

JS

76 Dodge Adventurer Sport Power Wagon W100 318, 727, NP203 Fulltime 4x4 Russet Red
06 Jeep Commander Ltd 4x4, 5.7L Hemi, QuadraDrive II
06 Chrysler 300C AWD 5.7L Hemi
10 Mopar 10 Challenger R/T, #483/500, 5.7L HEMI
10 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 4x4 5.7L HEMI
11 Dodge Ram 1500 LoneStar Quad Cab, 5.7L HEMI, Fulltime 4x4, Deep Cherry Red
16 Jeep Cherokee Limited 3.2L Pentastar V6, 9 Speed Torqueflite, 4x4, Black

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: AdventurerSport] #2821179
09/15/20 05:05 PM
09/15/20 05:05 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
I hear you - Sears, JCP, car dealers, etc. - I guess they are just dinosaurs now. We need to get used to the "new normal." The new normal being Amazon, RockAuto, buying new cars online, etc. Want a new mattress? Try it out in cyberspace - don't be old-fashioned & drive out to a store to test them out! Who would need to do that?

Yeah JCP - you "got" me this time, but next time the advantage will be mine. FU JCP.

Last edited by Sunroofcuda; 09/15/20 05:06 PM.

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: AdventurerSport] #2821180
09/15/20 05:07 PM
09/15/20 05:07 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Online penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Online Penguin-006
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
There have been topics on mattresses here and elsewhere for HUGE MONEY....,

3 .., 4 ... 5 k$ !

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821201
09/15/20 05:50 PM
09/15/20 05:50 PM
St. Charles, MO
wingman Offline
Uncreative Title
wingman  Offline
Uncreative Title

St. Charles, MO
Originally Posted by Satilite73
Originally Posted by BSharp
One thing I've noticed about mattress-only stores: go in at any random time, and I'll bet you're the only customer in the store. The markup has to be huge just to keep the lights on. Most people probably buy cars more often than mattresses.

So, how do you explain mattress-only stores being right across the street from each other? Or so many being in one general area? I don't mean competitors I mean the same company. shruggy

I went to a mattress only store when I purchased my mattress in 2019. Two sales people in the store, one doing a crossword, the other watching something on their phone. They almost seemed surprised by me walking in. They actually were quite helpful, and with their help, I made my decision. Of course, they didn't have it in stock, but they checked to see if another store had it. The 'other' store was literally just across the intersection, I could see it from the showroom I was standing in. shock

In my case though, I've been happy with my purchase.

"JC Penney is broke and filed bankruptcy, do you really expect to get anything out of them? Do you really think they really care about customer service when they probably won't be around after the 1st of the year?"

I gotta agree with poorboy on this. Our local JCPenny is circling the drain now. A lot of stuff is marked down 50% or more. frowwn

Other thing I've noticed around here for many years is how mattress stores go OOB ALWAYS - sometimes they are lucky enough to stay open for a few years, then they go away.

https://www.wbur.org/endlessthread/2018/09/21/the-great-mattress-conspiracy

1969 Dodge Coronet Super Bee 383 A4
1970 Plymouth Road Runner 440 FC7 (sold)
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: wingman] #2821274
09/15/20 08:41 PM
09/15/20 08:41 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
I stopped shopping there after returning a Christmas gift in 1995. After waiting in line for about an hour they would only give me an in store credit card. Back then refunding in cash was the norm for Christmas gifts but only for a week or so after Christmas.
My wife and i wandered around for quit some time and finally found something close in price. After using the card there was 18 cents left on it. They refused to to give me the 18 cents. I asked for a pair of scissors.
The clerk handed me a pair and I proceeded to cut the card to pieces along with our JC PENNEY credit cards and left them on the counter. I told her to keep her resume updated and that Old JC was rolling in his grave twocents beer

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: TJP] #2821281
09/15/20 08:56 PM
09/15/20 08:56 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
I worked at JC Pennys years ago, in the auto service department, my employee time was about a year and a half, I got laid off as they were closing down the auto centers. We sold a lot of those batteries, the last 6 months I was there, they were no longer "life time" batteries.
Our local store downsized several years ago, and the "new" store will be closing its doors in another month, maybe less, they are at the 80% discount, store wide right now. They will be joining a long list of closed retail stores here in Freeport. I suspect the "pandemic" will cause a lot more closings within the next year. Gene

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821325
09/15/20 11:12 PM
09/15/20 11:12 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
One thing I would do if the mattress you tried at the store is still there is to photo all of the tags and display information and compare the info to the tags on the mattress you received. If the information is not EXACTLY the same then you did not receive the product you paid for and you can claim "bait and switch". There are so many differences that can be made to change the quality, feel and cost of a mattress even down to the thickness of the foam layers and top covers but those differences should be listed on the tags and information.

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: A12] #2821328
09/15/20 11:25 PM
09/15/20 11:25 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Just found this as an example of small differences manufactures will make to change their costs or pricing.

Of course, the mattress industry hates this kind of comparison shopping. To discourage it, some mattress manufacturers will give the same mattress different names in different stores.

For example, the popular Simmons Beautyrest line has different brand names at different stores. The "Beautyrest Recharge Allie" at Macy's is called the "Beautyrest Recharge Devonwood Luxury" at Sears, the "Recharge Signature Select Hartfield" at Mattress Firm, and the "Beautyrest Recharge Lyric Luxury" at US-Mattress.com. If customers don't realize these are names for the same mattress, it's harder for them to bargain effectively.

Fortunately, this kind of obfuscation isn't too hard to overcome. Often you'll be able to find charts online that tell you exactly which mattress models are equivalent. Otherwise, you should be able to figure it out by comparing features. US-Mattress.com, for example, says that the Beautyrest Recharge Lyric Luxury has 1 1/4 inches of AirFeel foam, an inch of AirCool foam, a half inch of GelTouch foam, one inch of energy foam, 476 "800-series" coils, and so forth. Ask your brick-and-mortar store for this kind of information on the mattress you want, and then find prices for similar mattresses from online retailers.

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: A12] #2821335
09/15/20 11:52 PM
09/15/20 11:52 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Originally Posted by A12
One thing I would do if the mattress you tried at the store is still there is to photo all of the tags and display information and compare the info to the tags on the mattress you received. If the information is not EXACTLY the same then you did not receive the product you paid for and you can claim "bait and switch". There are so many differences that can be made to change the quality, feel and cost of a mattress even down to the thickness of the foam layers and top covers but those differences should be listed on the tags and information.

This^^^^ Compare all that info with your receipt. If it all matches, JCP delivered what you purchased. If that's the case you will likely end up fighting with the manufacture...good luck. Hope it doesn't turn into a pricey lesson. That stuff should always be purchased at a place that offers their own warranty(such as the no questions asked 120 night sleep guarantee)

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821529
09/16/20 01:16 PM
09/16/20 01:16 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Have you contacted Serta's customer's service for any resolution or direction?

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: A12] #2821571
09/16/20 02:31 PM
09/16/20 02:31 PM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
Start blasting JCP and Serta on Twitter. No joke, they hate that bad publicity and someone will get in touch.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821585
09/16/20 03:03 PM
09/16/20 03:03 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
I hate internal combustion engines!
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Keep it and get a softer mattress cover for it,firmer mattresses last way longer than soft ones and your back will thank you for it. I bought a new memory foam one last fall and it showed up super firm, I bought a 2" soft cover for it and now its perfect and will last for years unlike the last coil spring pos.

Also those floor models are broken in from thousands of people laying on them, that's what yours will be like in a few months.

Last edited by SRT6776; 09/16/20 03:05 PM.
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: BSharp] #2821586
09/16/20 03:08 PM
09/16/20 03:08 PM
Home
S
SRT6776 Offline
SRT6776  Offline
S

Home
Originally Posted by BSharp
One thing I've noticed about mattress-only stores: go in at any random time, and I'll bet you're the only customer in the store. The markup has to be huge just to keep the lights on. Most people probably buy cars more often than mattresses.

This, bought one that was $700 delivered from some mattress chain store, but they couldn't deliver it when we agreed so I canceled the order. Found some local mattress manufacturer, he made it to order, delivered it and took away the old one for $350. 10 year warranty on it too.

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Dcuda69] #2821642
09/16/20 05:56 PM
09/16/20 05:56 PM
Highland, MI.
Sunroofcuda Offline OP
master
Sunroofcuda  Offline OP
master

Highland, MI.
Originally Posted by Dcuda69
Originally Posted by A12

This^^^^ Compare all that info with your receipt. If it all matches, JCP delivered what you purchased. If that's the case you will likely end up fighting with the manufacture...good luck. Hope it doesn't turn into a pricey lesson. That stuff should always be purchased at a place that offers their own warranty(such as the no questions asked 120 night sleep guarantee)

We're doing something easier - my wife put it for sale locally & we already have a few interested parties - we'll move it. As far as pursuing JCP, I would think they are uncollectible - like I said earlier - they GOT me. The mattress in the store is a display - it's half & half. One side was "plush" (pretty soft), & the other side was firm - there were no sewn-on tags. The receipt & the mattress received were same product & model name. We had a lengthy call with a JCP customer service manager yesterday. We had a photo of the tag on the mattress - she said "well - I can't see it." So we had a brilliant idea: we'll email you the photo. Her: "I'm sorry, you can't email it to me." Then another brilliant idea: "We'll text it to you!!!" Nope - sorry can't do that. Third brilliant idea: "hey - I'll TAKE the mattress to our store 6 miles away so they can confirm this mattress is not correct!!!!!!!!" You guessed it - "sorry - you can't do that - the store will not allow that."

So what are we left with? JC Penney telling me thank you for your money, but as for everything else - pound sand chump. WE GOT YA! (Oh yeah - we'll be going OOB in a few months so we'll all be unemployed.................).

Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821649
09/16/20 06:08 PM
09/16/20 06:08 PM
Colleyville
3hundred Offline
I Live Here
3hundred  Offline
I Live Here

Colleyville
Originally Posted by A12

We're doing something easier - my wife put it for sale locally & we already have a few interested parties - we'll move it. As far as pursuing JCP, I would think they are uncollectible - like I said earlier - they GOT me. The mattress in the store is a display - it's half & half. One side was "plush" (pretty soft), & the other side was firm - there were no sewn-on tags. The receipt & the mattress received were same product & model name. We had a lengthy call with a JCP customer service manager yesterday. We had a photo of the tag on the mattress - she said "well - I can't see it." So we had a brilliant idea: we'll email you the photo. Her: "I'm sorry, you can't email it to me." Then another brilliant idea: "We'll text it to you!!!" Nope - sorry can't do that. Third brilliant idea: "hey - I'll TAKE the mattress to our store 6 miles away so they can confirm this mattress is not correct!!!!!!!!" You guessed it - "sorry - you can't do that - the store will not allow that."

So what are we left with? JC Penney telling me thank you for your money, but as for everything else - pound sand chump. WE GOT YA! (Oh yeah - we'll be going OOB in a few months so we'll all be unemployed.................).

Sure different from how it used to be. Seems like one the recent CEO's was a real knothead?

Once we had a customer who bought an aftermarket radio, he carried it home, botched the install in his Pinto, complained to store management who made us install a replacement radio, for free. We didn't offer free installation of radios, and he didn't pay for one. I snagged the "defective" radio and put it in the wife's LTD. Swapped out several side post batteries people took home to install, brought back, claiming they were crossthreaded when they purchased it. Funny, none of us ever found a new crossthreaded battery...

'68 Fury Convertible
'69 300 Convertible
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi
'16 300 S Hemi
Re: JC Penney Mattress Rant - WWYD? [Re: Sunroofcuda] #2821711
09/16/20 09:00 PM
09/16/20 09:00 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted by A12

What has Serta said? In some ways this is like buying a Chrysler/Dodge/Ram/Jeep from a large auto franchise and them telling you to go pound sand. I would be going to the manufacture to complain about how their product is being handled. I would be going to Serta just to see what they say? JCP doesn't seem to care about a Serta mattress but I would hope that Serta cares enough about THEIR product and satisfying THEIR customers. You felt good enough about a SERTA mattress to invest YOUR money into one and I would bet they (Serta) would like to see you as a happy, satisfied SERTA customer. If they don't then please let us know so I don't ever buy a SERTA mattress..........most of us are pretty sure we're NOT going to buy a mattress from JCP regardless of brand down laugh2 What will Serta do and say??

Page 2 of 2 1 2