Moparts Proctologist
Grizzly  Offline
Moparts Proctologist

Salem
Originally Posted by Satilite73
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I got ya, another words go after them.

Yes.

lol, you don't have a leg to stand on. What kind of Idiot buys a car from a Stealership without looking at it?

Mo' Farts

Moderated by "tbagger".
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: Grizzly] #2817634
09/05/20 10:08 PM
09/05/20 10:08 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline OP
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
The same idiot that trusted you one time without knowing you. Move on ya obnoxious drunk.

Originally Posted by Grizzly
Originally Posted by Satilite73
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I got ya, another words go after them.

Yes.

lol, you don't have a leg to stand on. What kind of Idiot buys a car from a Stealership without looking at it?

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2817672
09/06/20 01:42 AM
09/06/20 01:42 AM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Start with the dealer you bought it from and work from there. Really the other dealers didn't misrepresent the car to you. If the dealer you bought it from wants to go back to them then that is on them.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost coming soon!
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2817699
09/06/20 08:04 AM
09/06/20 08:04 AM
Maine
P
Pkeel Offline
mopar
Pkeel  Offline
mopar
P

Maine
Every State is different, but the basic law is very basic on this type of issue.

A dealer has different requirements than an individual. Think of it like this: I have a car I want to sell. I've never sold a car before in my life. (This is actually true.) So, somebody calls me and has an offer. They can come up with half of the cash price, but they have a pickup they want to trade for the other half. They assure me the pickup is worth more than the cash they would owe. I accept, take their cash and their truck and leave the for sale sign in the truck and park it by the road for sale. Next day I sell the truck. Great I figure I am done. Well the truck has issues and the buyer wants to come back to me.

I can clearly claim ignorance and that I am not a dealer. I can't be held responsible as I would not have any way to know there were issues with the vehicle. I can at least make the argument that I would not have the expertise to know something was wrong with the vehicle. It may or may not stand up in court, but I can at least make a good argument.

Now this is what a dealer does every day. Day in and day out, cars come and go. They know what the cars are worth, they know specific cars have specific known issues. They are in the business of knowing this information. In fact, this is what they tell people is the best reason to deal with them over an individual, they know cars.

A dealer also has another major issue. As a dealer there is the warranty of merchantability in play as well. https://consumer.findlaw.com/consumer-transactions/what-is-the-warranty-of-merchantability.html

You may not be able to use this, but if they mislabeled the vehicle they may very well have failed to live up to it.

At the very least you need to contact a lawyer. Talk to them first, before you take it up with the dealer. The first thing is to decide what you actually want. Do you want to return the car or just get some of the cost of the vehicle back?

Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: Grizzly] #2818158
09/07/20 01:15 PM
09/07/20 01:15 PM
Bloomington, IN
H
HoosierTA Offline
master
HoosierTA  Offline
master
H

Bloomington, IN
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Follow the game............not the ball.

"carfax"...............now how are they connected to ANY government agency?

That"s what i thought.

Sounds like you bought something "sight unseen". Unless You got it at less than auction price and are mechanically prepared to rebuild a pile of junk...............can't feel your sorrow.

Cut your losses, sell it for scrap and move on.

I have been told by my fleet dealer that our beat down on trade in value of cruisers is from the Carfax report, when they are involved in crashes, that are reported in state crash reports. My office manager was insisting that even minor mumps with government vehicles required a state crash report. He couldn’t produce where that was written, so I put a stop to it.

'70 Challenger R/T 383
'16 Hemi Durango SSV (work vehicle)
'15 Ram Police SSV
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: HoosierTA] #2818164
09/07/20 01:42 PM
09/07/20 01:42 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline OP
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline OP
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
If in the end in stuck, im stuck, I will replace the rocker and buy a couple new bare doors and fix it properly. But if I can get a bit back I will, and the way the title was done is really hokey and sine the one big dealer was involved maybe they will or wont care about the bad reviews or press. The local tv channels love stories like this in there wrong doing stories.

Yea, if I could of, of course id of been there in person and looked it over and offered 3k less, but it just wasnt possible in this case so I stupidly trusted someone.

I think most of us who has bought and restored older mopars have had semi similar situations or not.

I started doing basic body and prep work at 9, yes nine for a guy who restored tractors, I started painting at 15. I could of done better work then this at 20.

But at the end of the day if I dump another 2k in parts/paint and my labor ive just got another car I paid too much for, not the end of the world...... BUT all I asked and was expecting was square honest dealings and that didnt happen on the sellers end.

The real ironic part is since the title now shows so many transfers in a week the "net" says they call it a "hot potato" car, geee my screen name.

I love the part it was a dry hot environment car as it will never be outside in the elements from now on.

I can buy a brand new trans off ebay right now for $800 shipped, I can but a 20k motor for less then that.

Its a car I can still work on and it fits in with all my other factory orange cars.

But bottom line is... All I asked and was expecting was square honest dealings and that didnt happen on the sellers end. So hes got some well deserved grief coning one way or another. Hes the one who pushed the carfax report over and over.

I found this on one of my states attorneys sites...

When you sue a car dealership for failing to provide appropriate history or misrepresenting the condition and/or the status of the title you would be entitled to triple damages plus attorney’s fees if you are successful in front of a judge or jury.

This should be interesting.

Last edited by Mr. Potatohead; 09/07/20 01:50 PM.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2818283
09/07/20 07:17 PM
09/07/20 07:17 PM
On the run…
BloFish Online penguin-006
I Live Here
BloFish  Online Penguin-006
I Live Here

On the run…
Best of luck, I hope you get this resolved.

It really doesn't matter whether you win or lose…
as long as you look good doing it!

‘65 A100
‘69 ‘Cuda
‘73 Vega GT
‘06 Mega Cab
‘14 Mercedes SLK
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: BloFish] #2818396
09/08/20 02:26 AM
09/08/20 02:26 AM
East Bay, N. Cal.
calmopar Offline
I Live Here
calmopar  Offline
I Live Here

East Bay, N. Cal.
"Does it make sense that some things ya just got to let go of?"

Yes, definitely. But not in this case. Good luck - you did not get what you paid for.

Trying to enjoy life!
Re: Used Car NIGHTMARE [Re: poorboy] #2818435
09/08/20 08:53 AM
09/08/20 08:53 AM
Portage,michigan
B
B3422W5 Offline
I Live Here
B3422W5  Offline
I Live Here
B

Portage,michigan
Originally Posted by poorboy
The first set of number listed before each date is the dealer ID number, not a mileage number. It simply means the car was passed around to a few dealers pretty quickly. That's not real unusual. Many large dealerships won't keep a car around that is past a certain age or mileage. Many will sell it to a smaller dealer, and that smaller dealer could have taken it to an auto auction.

Carfax is as good as the last update.

Seat frame: I ran a small welding shop for 25 years. I've welded up a bunch of car seat frames. Most car seat frames are not designed for the super big people. When the sit in them and wiggle around (ever seen a big person get in or out of a smaller car? Its a wonder some last as long as they do), the seat frames crack and break.
Rusted and patched rocker: Rust happens in the rust belt. Repairs are not always that good. You would be amazed what people will do before they trade in a car, just to get a few more $$$ for their trade in. The dealer may, or may not have know about the rockers, but many wouldn't care on an older car. If it looks good, they get more money out of it.

Sorry to say, but it sounds like you should have checked the car over better before you spent your money on it. Its your's now. What are you going to do with it? Gene

Yep. This is the most accurate post in this thread.

Regards Carfax, only repair facilities that are signed up to report to them will show up on the report.
Joe Schmoe independent shop might have done a ball joint and it wont show
Same with a small body shop that might have fixed the damage with having hit a deer when the owner didnt have full coverage and had to pay cash to get it fixed. Such small, independent shops sometimes dont report. That said, Carfax is still a valuable tool, its just not a bible. Showing ownership history alone is helpful.

As a dealership owner, we tell all customers that we recommend them take the car to a shop of their choosing to have it inspected, if they so desire. Its never a bad idea to do so.
Regards various signatures/ signoffs on titles, no big deal. If anything is out of line, state DMV’s wont process the deal, so dealers generally stay right on top of such things.
You cant legally sell a car without a legit title, so no sense trying to do so. Doesn't get anyone anywhere.
Regards the problems of the OP...... take the car and get it looked at by someone you trust, before pulling the trigger. Sometimes there are two sides to a story, perhaps you have champagne taste, and a beer budget. Maybe you paid for a turd and thats what you got.

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3