09/06/20 09:28 PM
09/06/20 09:28 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
The thing about these cars is there are enough of them to go around. I like the Day Two look. Cragars,chrome valve cover (Direct Connection in mine) has a Coyote Duster air cleaner and a glass A12 hood.Even have a Sun Tach strapped to the column
Had a Pistol Grip in my last '69 road runner and '68 R/T.Also had a set of '70 bucket seats in it. It was someones discarded parts car I was rebuilding, and came across a killer deal on a set of newly recovered seats, plus I like the '70 seats better than the shredded bench that came with the car. . I don't like the Donk Wheels on a Musclecar,modern interiors or engines. So instead of picking a car apart I just walk by. I figure it's my car, my money, I'm gonna make me happy. Not like it's a survivor one of.... car.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: basketcase] #2817992
09/06/20 09:33 PM
09/06/20 09:33 PM
Super Spudsville
Mr PotatoHead Offline
Half Baked
Mr PotatoHead  Offline
Half Baked

Super Spudsville
I love them all BUT do mine my way.

Rambble... Whats wrong with HEMI ORANGE? Ive 5, maybe 6 hemi orange mopars, id have to go count.

STOP POTATO HATE!
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: poorboy] #2818000
09/06/20 09:57 PM
09/06/20 09:57 PM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Pet Peeves in no particular order:

Using the term " murdered out" to describe a black on black on black on black car.

Black everything on cars. A little can be OK, just not all of it.

The flat brim brigade with their monster energy decals and of course the murdered out car.

Sloppy or poorly done wiring. ( admittedly I am a wiring nut)

Anything to do with " fast and furious", including the over use of the term "NOS", referring to family every 5 seconds, the term "crew" and basically the fact that those movies have inspired a whole group of morons. Oh yeah, in every one of those movies they all look sweaty all the time. Take a dang shower and use deodorant once in a while!

Other than that I am a happy guy!

Last edited by Warhawk; 09/06/20 09:58 PM.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: poorboy] #2818003
09/06/20 10:08 PM
09/06/20 10:08 PM
Las Vegas
M
Myrtle Offline OP
Myrtle  Offline OP
M

Las Vegas
Gene, you really need to quit being a baby.

Just because someone is annoyed about a customization to a car does not mean its the end of the world. This thread was merely to see if others were bothered by the things that catch my eye at car shows. Did I ask if there were confrontations or if they made stinks about it? No, just personal pet peeves - thats all.

Ask me if I have ever said anything to anyone about their custom mods - not once! If I see my dream car, say a 69 Charger RT, original 4 speed car, and its as it left the factory with the exception of a pistol grip shifter, yeah, Im gonna think to myself ‘God, thats fugly’ Will I say anything though? Hell no, they have my dream car and they chose to display it that way. But just as they have the right modify it as they please, I have the right to think its stupid when they display it publicly at a car show. Hell, I even have the right to give them my opinion - I never would though (I do think that’s excessive).

Alot of people may think im stupid for chopping up my original A12 column shift Super Bee and making it a 4 speed, but guess what, f*ck em, its my car, I will do what I want to it.

When people ask about the 4 speed setup and D32 on the fender tag, I will tell them I converted it. When they ask why, I will say its because I wanted to - something you should have instilled in your son. It sucks he sold his 72 because people were too vocal and Im sorry for that, but cmon, calling people with opinions elitists is just silly. Did they actually tell your son NOT to do something?

Just because someone is annoyed about a modification does not mean they are an elitist - give me a break. Hell, I may be regarded as an idiot for chopping up my bee, and I may agree with that, but I tell you what, I sure as hell wont be putting a pistol grip shifter in it!! 😝

No one can tell you what to do. However, ANYONE can tell you what they think.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #2818014
09/06/20 10:43 PM
09/06/20 10:43 PM
Mt.Gilead, Ohio
OhioMopar Offline
master
OhioMopar  Offline
master

Mt.Gilead, Ohio
Originally Posted by Warhawk

Sometimes the cars can't help it. That's how they came... 🤣 🤣

20200810_090428.jpg

1969 Dart GTS 340
1969 Super Bee X9 N-96
1969 Coronet R/T X9 N-96
2015 Dodge Dart GT
2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn.
Looking for the original block for my Bee. The last 4 are 7449
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #2818023
09/06/20 11:09 PM
09/06/20 11:09 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA

The flat brim brigade with their monster energy decals and of course the murdered out car.

Anything to do with " fast and furious", including the over use of the term "NOS", referring to family every 5 seconds, the term "crew" and basically the fact that those movies have inspired a whole group of morons. Oh yeah, in every one of those movies they all look sweaty all the time. Take a dang shower and use deodorant once in a while!

I rarely laugh out loud when reading something online but this stuff cracked me up!
Flat brim brigade? Oh, HELL yeah! I think the guys with the flat brim on their hats look dumb as sh*t. The guys with their ears tucked into their hats are even worse. Top it off with shorts that go to the knee with tube socks that reach mid knee cap. GREAT look, dude! thumbs
Also funny....calling your friends a "crew" or a "team" is also silly.
Sweaty all the time? That is classic comedy right there!

Last edited by Frankenduster; 09/06/20 11:09 PM.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: poorboy] #2818026
09/06/20 11:15 PM
09/06/20 11:15 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
Originally Posted by poorboy
My Mopar pet peeve is the elite investment club Mopar owners that believe they have a right to tell me what I can, can't, should or shouldn't do with my Mopar that I drive.
I want the freedom to spend my money on a Mopar street rod that didn't have to comply with their (your) silly rules. That day was over 25 years ago!

I still love the 70 Road Runners, but to this day, I'm not going to own another because the Mopar elite are worse now then they were 25 years ago. In case your missing the point, that probably covers most of the purest guy's stating their pet peeves on this thread.

I can sympathize.
Sometimes is is fun to just get something running and have some fun with it. Correctness ? Pffft! No way, man! Chalk marks? Date codes? Matching humbers? blah
That is why I am building THIS car: ($5000 buy in...including a nice grille!)

XH 48.jpgRepair 34.jpgRepair 61.jpgRepair 68.jpg
Last edited by Frankenduster; 09/06/20 11:21 PM.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Kern Dog] #2818028
09/06/20 11:19 PM
09/06/20 11:19 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
It has the original 383....I'm waiting on the machine shop now.
It came with a bent front end, no brakes but otherwise really solid.
I'm going to get it running and drive it ratty for awhile. I want to be able to drive on pavement or gravel, park it without worrying about it, take the dogs to the lake in it....just have fun like we did when they were 10 year old cars.

Second fit 4.jpg2 XH Q.jpg2 Chargers B.jpg2 XH M.jpg
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Kern Dog] #2818034
09/06/20 11:38 PM
09/06/20 11:38 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Krylon black engine or trunk compartments.. I'd take tired original paint any day.

Scat pack stripes installed in the wrong spot, wrong angle, wrong color, etc.

Chopped up dashes for radios/CD players. A nice clean install is one thing, but serious butchery drives me nuts.

Dark window tint - looks icky and you can't see worth a damn at night.

Most cars have the wrong wheels, tires, and stance. All personal opinion, but that is one thing that I always find room for improvement on.

Black walls on mopar rallye wheels I can't get used to.

Fiberglass hoods that people install to see how it fits and then 5 years later it's still unpainted. Very common to see at the race track.

Not a fan of pinstripes on musclecars for some reason. Seems to be a thing here, but mopar guys don't do it that often

People who hang around their cars and tell you how rare it is and how much they could sell it for. I like talking to you about your car for a few minutes, but tell me an interesting story about what it took to find the car and how you went about getting it fixed up again.

Last edited by Neil; 09/06/20 11:44 PM.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Neil] #2818038
09/07/20 12:04 AM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
1. "upgrading" a Mopar Leaf spring design to a triangulated 4 link of any design
2. "upgrading" Mopar TB's with coils for a more "modern design"
3. Calling a wing a spoiler, and not knowing the difference
4. Misunderstanding that tires stop the car, and brakes stop the wheels
5. "upgrading" with no empirical evidence, from 9/16" TR to 11/16" TR
6. "upgrading" with LCA gussets
7. using the as a last ditch explanation for any "upgrade", "it can't hurt"
8. Hub Caps
9. Using frame connectors AND torque boxes
10. Installing rear swaybar without testing with a proper front bar FIRST
11. Asserting one item is responsible for positive improvement seen, when multiple changes where made
12. Failing to understand on a performance vehicle, " EVERYTHING EFFECTS EVERYTHING ELSE"

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Neil] #2818040
Brantford Ontario
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master
69_SIX_PACK  Offline
master

Brantford Ontario
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Dave

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Myrtle] #2818048
09/07/20 01:17 AM
09/07/20 01:17 AM
Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Diego (not Ted) Offline
Too Many Posts
Diego (not Ted)  Offline
Too Many Posts

Gabba Gabba Hey! NYC
Not sure if this was mentioned (no time to read 3 pages) but a bumblebee stripe on a pre-1968 Dodge or--even worse--on a Plymouth.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Mr PotatoHead] #2818053
09/07/20 03:44 AM
09/07/20 03:44 AM
Castlegar, BC, Canada
That AMC Guy Offline
master
That AMC Guy  Offline
master

Castlegar, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Mr. Potatohead
I love them all BUT do mine my way.

Rambble... Whats wrong with HEMI ORANGE? I've 5, maybe 6 hemi orange mopars, id have to go count.

In my humble and entirely worthless opinion, it's overplayed. We had a small show (~100 cars) here a few years back. All mopars and a couple of my AMC's. I have an old photo somewhere where only five E-bodies showed up and they were ALL Hemi Orange. The funny thing was, I don't think a single one had been born Hemi orange. And yet at this small show in the middle of podunk BC, five orange e-bodies show up. My tastes tend toward the more unusual. REAL FM3 cars, FC7, FJ5 .... I like Hemi orange but it's just quite common. I guess familiarity breeds contempt?

I'm not a purist by any stretch. Hell, my buddy's '71 Polara 4dr HT with a 440 6-pack is one of my (thus far) favorite cars ever. But he's like me in a way where his car has an overall theme. The 440 installation looks 100% factory - even down to the fan clutch and the air cleaner. Manifolds, even. It has a Tuff steering wheel and an underdash 8-track player. NOTHING on the car seems out-of-place.

I don't give two fiddlers about batteries or tires when it comes to correctness. Anything perishable like that is off the table. It is cool to see reproduction batteries and polyglas tires though. I missed that generation so it really is neat to see these cars as they were. Sticking to their theme of OE correctness is fine.

CHEAP stuff gets on my nerves. $50,000 dollar car with 8-dollar, Canadian Tire floor mats. The corrugated wire loom stuff - worse if it's coloured.

I especially enjoy when people get creative and think outside the box. Create something nobody has done before, rather than buying cheap, mass produced crap off of WalMart's shelves.

Another buddy of mine created a 4-door cab 1972 Dodge Pickup and dropped the whole kaboodle on a modern Cummins frame. He made the box a dually and everything. It LOOKS like a 1972 diesel truck. He even painted it two-tone turquoise and white!! It looks amazing but it has all modern driveline and frame. THAT is super-cool.

I hope to one day get to that level of fabrication skills. One of my best accomplishments is the interior on my '75 Hornet. I've mixed and matched a lot of OE AMC parts, designed my own upholstery (yet still looks like vintage stuff) and love the result. I've had a few people at shows tell me they had one EXACTLY like it. I just smile and say "No, you didn't!"

Hornet Stuff 003.JPG

Bloody Mary, Full of Vodka, Blessed art thou among cocktails....

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: That AMC Guy] #2818074
09/07/20 09:11 AM
09/07/20 09:11 AM
Holland MI Ottawa
2boltmain Offline
master
2boltmain  Offline
master

Holland MI Ottawa
I was watching a youtube video recently of some street drag racing. Video was grainy and from the early mid 1980s. Was a hilly mountainous area with a paved straight away. But what rang out was the car drivers and spectators were all in their teens and twenties. Chevelles Chargers N50s etc. When I go to a show or the drag strip now its disheartening the lack of guys under say 45 years old. Times change but it sure is a shame.

Keep old mopars alive.
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: OhioMopar] #2818085
09/07/20 09:40 AM
09/07/20 09:40 AM
USA
H
hudsonhornet7x Offline
pro stock
hudsonhornet7x  Offline
pro stock
H

USA
Originally Posted by OhioMopar

Sometimes the cars can't help it. That's how they came... 🤣 🤣

Absolutely nothing wrong with that car! It would be an honor to have that in the garage.

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: That AMC Guy] #2818089
09/07/20 09:55 AM
09/07/20 09:55 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Originally Posted by RamblerMan
Honestly, I don't like either. BUT, those aluminum mags aren't the worst I've ever seen. But it's kinda like putting Cragars on a Model T. Sure, you can do it.... but.... do you want to? I'm not a big fan of steelies, either. On the right car, maybe - but generally, no.

Your Charger would look great with some 15" Rallyes, maybe widened in the back a little. Or Keystones, or Slots, or Cragars.... anything to give it that 1970's flair. Modern wheels on a 50 year old car are like my Cragars on a model T comment.

I understand why you do it though: better tire selection, new wheels are actually round.... for practicality reasons.... I get it.

RamblerMan,you would have loved my nephews 401 Gremlin,ran high 10's always.

Mike Miller.jpgrace cars 119[716]-001.jpg
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: hudsonhornet7x] #2818093
09/07/20 10:00 AM
09/07/20 10:00 AM
Blair County,PA
62maxwgn Offline
master
62maxwgn  Offline
master

Blair County,PA
Pet Peeves in no particular order:

Using the term " murdered out" to describe a black on black on black on black car.

I have no problem with black at all ! shruggy

Bill,s 62 wgn 067.jpg
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Kern Dog] #2818126
09/07/20 11:39 AM
09/07/20 11:39 AM
South-east Mn
B
blaze Offline
super stock
blaze  Offline
super stock
B

South-east Mn

Sometimes is is fun to just get something running and have some fun with it. Correctness ? Pffft! No way, man! Chalk marks? Date codes? Matching humbers? blah
That is why I am building THIS car: ($5000 buy in...including a nice grille!)

iagree I'd love to find a second gen Charger for $5000 One thing that has always bugged me is the wrong terminology. People refer to their cars as restored. Did Ma Mopar put the bumble bee stripes, sublime paint and 17" billet wheels on your '66 Charger? Hmmm....

Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: Kern Dog] #2818181
09/07/20 02:30 PM
09/07/20 02:30 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by Frankenduster
Rambler man...You like THIS look better?

Typical apples/oranges comparison. Black wheels (ugh) vs bright (yea) wheels. Dubs and rubber bands are for the ghetto.

Post up yours if you are brave enough to learn what others think of it.

Surprise...I don't care what others think about my taste in wheels or anything else. Unlike some others, I'm not looking for approval.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: Mopar Pet Peeves [Re: John_Kunkel] #2818189
09/07/20 02:45 PM
09/07/20 02:45 PM
north of coder
moparx Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"
moparx  Offline
"Butt Crack Bob"

north of coder
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Dubs and rubber bands are for the ghetto.

and fork lifts. biggrin

poorly done and sloppy wiring [usually present together] gets my goat every time. even with a factory correct restoration.

i bought my 69 charger as a total way back in 1970. i sure wished i had the foresight to have taken pictures at the time. it was hit HARD in the rear, and the body shop i worked at back then specialized in totals.
this was my first major project, and being a nu-be [drag strip] at major work, i quickly learned i knew nothing.
anyway, the car is still with me today, and it is not stock, nor will i restore it.
over the last year i have modified it even more than i have over the years, yet it still retains the re-paint done in mid 1971. it now wears scratches and primer spots, but who cares ?
i will admit i was one who fell into the "black engine compartment" crowd. the reason that was done is because some dumazz [me ! laugh2] covered the area with the zeibart-like undercoat stuff the shop was doing at the time.
that gooey stuff did, however, prevent rust. when the fresh engine goes in, i will now have the "pleasure" of removing that stuff so i can paint that area as it should be. there are other underhood mods i have done over the last year or so that some will wonder about, but too bad. i'm trying to do my best craftsmanship with these mods, and the main goal is to keep a clean, "simple" look. that is harder to do than some think. this car is nothing special, has led a hard life, and i'm trying my best to get it back out to enjoy it for a while before i croak.
it now wears steel wheels with dog dish caps, but i have a couple of different wheel ideas in mind. in the past, it has worn 5 spokes, cragars, slots, and mixed combos.

finally, i like looking at all types, as i usually can learn something from even the tiniest detail.
but observing modified rides lets my mind wander, and i try to think if i can combine ideas for an even better idea.
beer

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6