sing sing
U
unknown Offline
mopar
unknown  Offline
mopar
U

sing sing
Well prices may be dropping on the cars but that hasn't happen yet with the used parts for these cars, i was looking around for a few things for my 71 Challenger and was shocked just how much some people are asking. A Hemi K frame asking 2900.00 dollars .........

Re: The current collector market [Re: parksr5] #2810769
08/19/20 05:43 PM
08/19/20 05:43 PM
Oh
P
parksr5 Offline
super stock
parksr5  Offline
super stock
P

Oh
I agree with a lot of the above to an extent.

If feel the market for people interested in the cars most are interested on Moparts is shrinking. I also feel that the overall amount of people that are interested in this type of stuff has shrunk too. But, when I go to the track, etc., I still see interest in hot rods and cars in general, just not the same cars that most have been interested in, in the past. What I see often is the quickest, easiest and or cheapest way to go fast or just have fun. I see a lot of fox Mustangs, G body Chevys, 80's and 90's trucks, Camaro's, etc. with LS swaps, turbo's, etc. I see some quick Diesels too. There are also a fair share of newer cars.

I was at the track a number of weeks ago and spoke to a guy with a nasty diesel truck, and he mentioned that he's been contemplating moving to an LS swapped, turbo something because it's cheaper.

Most I talk to about older cars all say the same thing, I'd love to have one but, they're too expensive. I feel that a lot of people are or were once priced out of the old car market and have since moved on or, they're now a little older and wiser and choose not to spend the money on some of the older, cooler iron. They build purpose built car that are loads of fun for less money. Again, they'd love to have something else older and cooler, but have just as much fun with a lesser car.

I personally hope prices do continue to drop a little more, not too low but, enough where I can get into some different cars with the budget I have to work with.

Re: The current collector market [Re: parksr5] #2810777
08/19/20 06:10 PM
08/19/20 06:10 PM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Well,

I just bought a 1966 Satellite, hemi Auto.
The car belongs to a very good long time friend of mine. I actually helped restore the thing a little over 15 years ago

And At the price point I paid , which is WELL UNDER other / similar cars advertised for .

I know for a similar car sold out of CA. maybe a month or 2 ago and he had it advertised for upper $70s k range but no idea actual sold price

Theres this another one listed in Texas . Also advertised for a while now for was low 60s I think and so far no sale at high $50s

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Plymouth-Satellite-Hemi-426/274453845074?hash=item3fe6b95452:g:FlIAAOSw9jdejoUj

And theres this one, No idea how long its been listed as Ive not seen this one before

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Plymouth-Satellite-Hemi-426/283981740947?hash=item421ea17b93:g:LKsAAOSwcK1fM0uj

There were 2 sold at Kissimmee this Jan , Both brought upper $70s price wise. One was Tony Ds car which I thought for sure would bring over 100k for a 3000 mile car

Re: The current collector market [Re: SRT6776] #2810853
08/19/20 09:14 PM
08/19/20 09:14 PM
Brantford Ontario
69_SIX_PACK Offline
master
69_SIX_PACK  Offline
master

Brantford Ontario
Originally Posted by SRT6776
Originally Posted by 69_SIX_PACK
Originally Posted by GMP440
Originally Posted by Neil
Virus or not the Boomer's slow exit from the car hobby will reduce prices. Just not enough young people out there into them to keep it going at the pace it once was. They didn't grow up with these cars so it's harder for them to see what all the excitement is about.

Go to the drag strip, swap meet, and car shows here and a good chunk of it is retirement aged people.

That's pretty accurate. I see the same thing down here in Florida. The situation going on opens up buying opportunities for those who couldn't get in before. The market is going to be like this for a while.
That muscle car that was $100,000, probably now can be had for $50,000.

Any examples of these $100k cars that are available for $50k?

Dave

Probably wouldn't have to look very far, asking price and transaction price are two very different numbers for muscle cars right now I assume. But who's going to admit they accepted 50%...

So you don't have any examples of recent sales that you can produce...I am just wondering what you are basing your opinion on?

Dave

Re: The current collector market [Re: 69_SIX_PACK] #2810930
08/20/20 03:54 AM
08/20/20 03:54 AM
Connecticut
1972CudaV21 Offline
master
1972CudaV21  Offline
master

Connecticut
A wave of bankruptcies are coming. Expect a recession in the next 18 months. Job losses will create a liquidation of lower-tiered Muscle cars. Already seeing it right now.

China is the enemy.
Re: The current collector market [Re: 1972CudaV21] #2810934
08/20/20 05:17 AM
08/20/20 05:17 AM
NW
hergfest Offline
top fuel
hergfest  Offline
top fuel

NW
I think the market is still good. Most of the people out of jobs are in the service industry and tend to be lower income. The Muscle Car hobby crowd is a higher income crowd to afford it. People aren't traveling and saving money staying at home, and working from home also saves money. Its pretty easy to buy a car on the internet with all the money you aren't spending right now. I haven't been able to do my usual shows/trips this spring and summer which has saved me some money. So I've just been buying signs/cars instead haha I'm lucky to work at Costco were we haven't been affected, in fact business is way up.

Re: The current collector market [Re: hergfest] #2810998
08/20/20 09:44 AM
08/20/20 09:44 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
a12rag Offline
master
a12rag  Offline
master

Calgary, Alberta Canada
Ebb and flow of life . . . there will always be ups and downs . . . however, depending upon what the "climate change" doomsday crowd gets through for legislation, etc . . . they might kill the old car hobby. I started out in this "hobby" as just a way to keep my car running/going by wrenching on it (cause I could not afford to pay mechanics/shop fees) and then going to car shows. The joy of the car show has been meeting all the wonderful people out there and becoming friends, even though there is long distance between . . . . and yes, getting older (57 now) I do enjoy the creature comforts, and the newer rides - love fuel injection, computer control - turn the key and go ! . . . but still have my "old cars" - not sure I would still have them if I could not work on them and had to pay mechanics to do what I can. And as said, for me, it's a hobby . . . sometimes wrenching can be a calming, fun relaxing way to spend time. We all have different interests, and one of mine happens to be these cars that I am able to utilize and maintain.

I have noticed that the parts supply though, is dwindling . . . I mean just regular routine maintenance things like brake shoes/pads, rotors, drums, tune up parts, etc . . . or at least where I am they seem to be. Front Calipers for A, or F,M,J body - from NAPA, takes them at least a few days to "bring in" ! Same thing with pads and shoes . . . pretty much run of the mill parts ! But then again, gotta remember that it's parts for a 40 or 50 year old car !!! Not like mid 80s -90s when there were tons of these cars in the wrecking yards too.

Go out and enjoy your ride while you can !!!

Re: The current collector market [Re: a12rag] #2811207
08/20/20 06:23 PM
08/20/20 06:23 PM
Albany, NY
67SATisfaction Offline
The member whose name is actually Art
67SATisfaction  Offline
The member whose name is actually Art

Albany, NY
Current:
I haven't noticed much change in asking prices due to Covid, there was already some "softening" through 2019, but the effect of Covid on people's economies may still take us into this winter to really show itself.
Using home sales as an indicator, the economy is doing well, and interest rates, even on used cars, are low. A friend got a 3.9% rate on his used Ferrari. I think a good number of people didn't spend and banked money by isolating and not traveling as much this spring and summer. Stock market is still doing well. Buyers might be waiting though, it would be cool to find out if muscle cars are on the market for longer before selling - to measure the demand.

Near-term:
Nobody has a crystal ball, but my guess is by spring 2021 you will see average muscle car prices dropping more noticeably. The trickle down effect of the trillion dollar stimulus packages will be wearing off, rent relief and stimulus loans will be due.
The expanded money supply will drive some inflation, meaning prices on everything will be up (propping up some muscle car prices), and those in worse economic shape will be selling non-essentials.
The only offset we all hope for is that all the jobs come back, but I wonder if job supply won't stabilize before there is a significant dip in consumer (muscle car) spending.

Long term, its the same dynamic as always -
Owners grow older and older, and eventually sell their [insert any era] classic car, so more cars are on the market, and fewer people are around that are interested in buying them.

The only question is how long it will take, probably 10-15 years until only the "halo" cars retain their value.

Cheers,
- Art

Last edited by 67SATisfaction; 08/20/20 06:25 PM.

65 Satellite hardtop 361/4bbl console 727 2.76
67 Satellite convert 383/2bbl column 727 3.23
67 Lancia Fulvia Sport 1.3 Zagato. Alloy body, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
67 Lancia Fulvia Rallye 1.3. Alloy panel, 1.3L V4 DOHC 4-spd
71 Alfa Romeo GT Junior 1300 Zagato, 1.3L 4cyl DOHC hemi 5-spd
82 Alfa Romeo GTV6 2.5L SOHC hemi V6 5-spd transaxle
75 Maserati Bora US spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
77 Maserati Khamsin Euro spec 4.9L DOHC hemi V8 5-spd ZF
07 Aston Martin DB9 6.0L DOHC V12 6spd transaxle
Re: The current collector market [Re: 67SATisfaction] #2811219
08/20/20 06:58 PM
08/20/20 06:58 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Try and buy an e body car, yeah no fire sales there. Some cars are just going to hold value. twocents

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: The current collector market [Re: moparpollack] #2811232
08/20/20 07:14 PM
08/20/20 07:14 PM
Eagle, Idaho
Neil Offline
The Doctor is in.
Neil  Offline
The Doctor is in.

Eagle, Idaho
Tons of cars online for sale for high prices, but they are not selling. If this was 2006-2007 they'd be sold by now. I know guys who were buying and reselling several cars a year and putting money in their pocket each time as the demand was there. Much harder to do that now.

Re: The current collector market [Re: Jim_Lusk] #2811309
08/20/20 09:10 PM
08/20/20 09:10 PM
Southern Maryland
klunick Offline
master
klunick  Offline
master

Southern Maryland
Originally Posted by Jim_Lusk
I don't necessarily buy into the doom and gloom for the market. I'm seeing run of the mill A-bodies go for several thousand when a few years ago they were $2k cars.

BUT, I want those of you in my age bracket (I'm 60) to make an observation. Up and down the street you live on and in your neighborhood, how many classic cars are there? I think in my neighborhood there's me and a guy (if he's still one street over) with a 65-ish Mustang. Used to be a guy up the street with a 50s pickup. I think he moved. The point is that when we young a lot of us were into these cars on some level. MOST of the guys I knew with 60s muscle cars back then don't have one anymore. We were ALWAYS a minority.

Guys with big collections that are getting on in age are thinking about getting out if there is nobody to leave them to. I get that and some really special cars will hit the market, but that has always happened. Then, there's guys like Wade Ogle (who I would guess to be in his 40s) with a very nice collection. My younger son has his Dart, has built a '65 Mustang, and works with a bunch of guys in his age range who are into old cars (but don't have his skills).

This subject comes up more than once a year and it's always the same. The hobby will be alive until we can't buy gasoline and oil anymore (yeah, it could happen, but not likely in our lifetimes).

Jim has a valid point. When I was young all the kids were talking about what they were going to get when they got older. Well, the kids from my HS are now in their mid 50's. Maybe 4 of us have cars. You know how many cars musclecars where in my HS parking lot? about 4. Just saying. As for the original vs restomod, think back to the day. Original was booooooring. Everyone was day 2ing their cars. Finally building the 67 Barracuda. Hint, it isn't even close to original. The Cyclone came to me with points and now has discs, different steering system, fuel injection, E-heads, roller cam etc. Even my Trans Am hasn't been original since the day I bought it and I'm planning on going with EFI with it also for a variety of reasons. The cars are going to my boys and trust me, they know what a carb is, but couldn't dream of actually tuning one.

67 Barracuda FB 69 Superbee "Southern Maryland: If you want a good looking woman, you had better bring her with you"
Re: The current collector market [Re: hergfest] #2811332
08/20/20 09:56 PM
08/20/20 09:56 PM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by hergfest
I think the market is still good. Most of the people out of jobs are in the service industry and tend to be lower income. The Muscle Car hobby crowd is a higher income crowd to afford it. People aren't traveling and saving money staying at home, and working from home also saves money. Its pretty easy to buy a car on the internet with all the money you aren't spending right now. I haven't been able to do my usual shows/trips this spring and summer which has saved me some money. So I've just been buying signs/cars instead haha I'm lucky to work at Costco were we haven't been affected, in fact business is way up.

I agree. I think this COVID economy is gonna make income disparities/inequality even worse. Think many that have money will have more money and continue to buy. The majority of my customers are my age (57) to 70's. Heck I have 80+yo customers starting NEW projects. They either have money or everything is paid off (or both) and they are spending. Hell I'm in this group (everything paid off). Dusting off my old car. Probably dump another $10-20k in it. I've even been looking for a nice 74 Challenger (just cause, last year, I had one as a kid, etc) for a few years but they are selling in the 30's. Hell I thought I'd find one for $10-15. That ain't happening.

I think we'll have plenty of cars and parts for 10-20 years. I started my gasket business 15 years ago and feels like I'm just getting rolling. Growing 20% every year. 20% better every year at Carlisle and the Nationals. People ask me all the time if I've seen a slowdown. Nope. Hell all the well known Mopar resto shops have multi year backlogs. A local guy that resto's mostly early Camaros (but owns a 66 Charger) has a warehouse with like 50 assorted make and model cars in it. First time I saw it I asked if it was a personal junkyard or something. He said no. These are customers cars. 5 years worth.

A year ago I drove to the other side of MI to buy a truck hood (to duplicate the hood insulation). The guy restored 50's Fords with the hard top that retracted into the trunk (I knew of them but never gave them a 2nd thought). So there's people that are still interested in those oddball cars even a couple vendors that supply all the parts for them. There will be customers for some of the classics right? Model A's, 55-57 Chevys, 50's and 60's Thunderbirds, 60-70's muscle cars, Grand Nationals, TRUCKS, etc

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Re: The current collector market [Re: 5thAve] #2811337
08/20/20 10:11 PM
08/20/20 10:11 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
Doc Flappergas's Evil Twin
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by 5thAve
Some day those riced out civic coupes with the single wiper mod will be the high dollar in-demand car. Better load up on them now to beat the craze and make some money off it for a change puke

I am the old guy with the one owner 2-door Honda Civic Coupe mint low mile in resale red car at the gas pump or store. They are looking it over and saying how many miles? 53K dude..................Same thing we did in 78 on when we saw that used Challenger, Charger, Dart, Duster, etc.
I get asked all the time if can hold their # for when if and when I sell.
The disappointment when I tell them no I am keeping it for quite some time. Yes, they even state Show Room Floor looking at it.
Sad real Sad!

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: The current collector market [Re: 340SIX] #2811339
08/20/20 10:15 PM
08/20/20 10:15 PM
Florida STAYcation
dIc dOc Deity ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dIc dOc Deity !  Offline
The village idiot's idiot

Florida STAYcation
Originally Posted by 340SIX
Some day those riced out civic coupes with the single wiper mod will be the high dollar in-demand car. Better load up on them now to beat the craze and make some money off it for a change puke

I am the old guy with the one owner 2-door Honda Civic Coupe mint low mile in resale red car at the gas pump or store. They are looking it over and saying how many miles? 53K dude..................Same thing we did in 78 on when we saw that used Challenger, Charger, Dart, Duster, etc.
The disappointment when I tell them no I am keeping it for quite some time. Yes, they even state Show Room Floor looking at it.
Sad real Sad!

JUST THINK ... if it was pInK ??!!

Re: The current collector market [Re: dIc dOc Deity !] #2811348
08/20/20 10:35 PM
08/20/20 10:35 PM
Shopping @ HoBo Fright
340SIX Offline
340SIX  Offline

Shopping @ HoBo Fright
Originally Posted by Noble Crusader
Originally Posted by 340SIX

Sad real Sad!

JUST THINK ... if it was pInK ??!!

Eric, can you read? Re-sale Red!
You can see it here with the record snow of 2008. has not snowed since It was a major deal here even shut down the bridges and highways yes really.

2008GarageandSnow004.jpg2008GarageandSnow008.jpg

[img]https://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee87/fast340six/sig%20pics/2840886-340SIX-1.jpg[/img]
VP of the MPM in New Orleans
73 Dart Sport 340/ 70 challenger vert. That may still get built, If I live long enough
Re: The current collector market [Re: 69_SIX_PACK] #2811390
08/21/20 12:41 AM
08/21/20 12:41 AM
Florida
G
GMP440 Offline
top fuel
GMP440  Offline
top fuel
G

Florida
Originally Posted by 69_SIX_PACK
Originally Posted by GMP440
Originally Posted by Neil
Virus or not the Boomer's slow exit from the car hobby will reduce prices. Just not enough young people out there into them to keep it going at the pace it once was. They didn't grow up with these cars so it's harder for them to see what all the excitement is about.

Go to the drag strip, swap meet, and car shows here and a good chunk of it is retirement aged people.

That's pretty accurate. I see the same thing down here in Florida. The situation going on opens up buying opportunities for those who couldn't get in before. The market is going to be like this for a while.
That muscle car that was $100,000, probably now can be had for $50,000.

Any examples of these $100k cars that are available for $50k?

Dave

I was just illustrating that prices aren't what they used to be. It's a depressed market and there are some good buys out there.

Re: The current collector market [Re: GMP440] #2811428
08/21/20 07:13 AM
08/21/20 07:13 AM
Berlin, N.J.
A
abodyjoe Offline
I Live Here
abodyjoe  Offline
I Live Here
A

Berlin, N.J.
personally i think modern muscle is hurting the classic car market more then anything. i see more and more guys selling off their old crap for modern muscle thats faster, handles better, stops better and has all the creature comforts... at some point the nostalgia of that old iron which seems to become only garage art wears off... they actually drive and enjoy their modern muscle..

i keep hearing about this poor covid economy.. just not seeing it.. just a few examples... building supplies sold out all over because of home renovations, houses sell in days at well over asking price, they can't build rv's fast enough to keep on the lot (thats across the country not location specific) and even those are selling way closer to asking price then they ever did.. people are spending money and lots of it.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and give the impression that you're stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

www.MoparMisfits.com
Re: The current collector market [Re: abodyjoe] #2811434
08/21/20 08:01 AM
08/21/20 08:01 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
this topic pops up often.

a few opinions from me.

people stating prices aren't going down that much is a reflection of the cheap $$$ flowing from the fed, emphasized by the extremely low interests rates. it's not really a true sign of the strength of the economy. yes some segments are strong but a larger portion is teetering on falling off the edge of the cliff.
interest rates go up 2 or 3 points all hell is going to break out. it's not a question of IF this will happen, it's WHEN it's going to happen.

as others posted. the top of the line numbers premium cars will always hold their value.
non numbers car prices are getting weak and weaker as time passes. they will stay in the $15-$20 range and stay there for a LONG time. i credit the modern muscle car for this.

the biggest moving upwards pricing cars are actually the late model 80's muscle cars. and this part will be going higher in the future.
not long ago i posted a low miles mint Omni GLH-S. sold for $20K. same auction had a extremely low mile 80's Turbo Daytona or or something like that that sold for $30K+.

Last edited by Mr T2U; 08/21/20 08:04 AM.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: The current collector market [Re: abodyjoe] #2811457
08/21/20 09:33 AM
08/21/20 09:33 AM
Tempe, AZ
L
loco340cuda Offline
super stock
loco340cuda  Offline
super stock
L

Tempe, AZ
Originally Posted by abodyjoe
personally i think modern muscle is hurting the classic car market more then anything. i see more and more guys selling off their old crap for modern muscle thats faster, handles better, stops better and has all the creature comforts... at some point the nostalgia of that old iron which seems to become only garage art wears off... they actually drive and enjoy their modern muscle..

I completely agree with this. I sold my restored 70 Cuda (did most of the work myself) about 3 years ago and bought modern muscle. The reasons I sold the Cuda and went modern was all the reason abodyjoe mentioned, faster, handles better, stops better and has all the creature comforts. Honestly I love my modern muscle and glad I went that direction and have no intentions of getting rid of it, but I do miss working on the old stuff. There are a couple of reasons why I will mostly likely never get a class car again... cost and performance. From the performance point of view it would be hard to build a classic car to perform as good as a new one. I know you can build one to come close but it is very expensive to do so which brings up the other issue, cost. Cost is really the biggest problem with these old cars especially with Mopars (60’s and early 70’s stuff). This is also true with the other brands as well but not quite as bad as with the Mopar stuff.

Any half way decent classic car which would be a good starter car for a restomod (I say restomod because I need to build something that competes with modern muscle if I was going to go back to classic muscle) is going to be in the high teen’s to low 20’s just to get started and will cost many 10’s of thousands to complete. On average I would bet you are at least around $70K to build a decent resto mod and probably a lot higher then that if you did a nice build. For that money you are easily into Hellcat territory, Camaro ZL1, or even a new Mustang GT500. I admit that the styling of the classic cars has a little more appeal then the modern muscle but I still think modern muscle is still pretty cool.

Lastly, one of the biggest show stoppers for me with doing another classic car is the body and paint work. It is really hard to find a good/trustworthy paint and body shop anymore and when you can find one the cost is just astronomical.......

70 Cuda 340 4 speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350
Re: The current collector market [Re: Mr T2U] #2811495
08/21/20 10:18 AM
08/21/20 10:18 AM
Warren, MI
71TA Offline
I Live Here
71TA  Offline
I Live Here

Warren, MI
Originally Posted by Mr T2U
people stating prices aren't going down that much is a reflection of the cheap $$$ flowing from the fed, emphasized by the extremely low interests rates. it's not really a true sign of the strength of the economy. yes some segments are strong but a larger portion is teetering on falling off the edge of the cliff.
interest rates go up 2 or 3 points all hell is going to break out. it's not a question of IF this will happen, it's WHEN it's going to happen.

BUT at our age we've all been through this 5 times now and know the world is not coming to an end. It's called a buying opportunity; stocks, CARS (did I mention I'd like to find a 74 Challenger 360 4sp), homes, INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS. Personally I am secretly waiting for a correction. Industrial building are TWICE what they "should" be around these parts.

When I worked as an engineer a coworker that made about what I did, $110k, LOST HIS $150K HOUSE during the great recession. I kept my house worth 3x as much and bought a small $50k industrial building and bought $50k of equipment to start my business. Some people will always be fools with their money.

www.DetroitMuscleTechnologies.com Mopar body and heater box restoration gaskets
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3